• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

dr_rus

The game doesn't run at the selected resolution when fullscreen is selected.

I.E. you'll select 1440p and the game will render at, what was it, 900p?

Seems to be a common problem, I thought it was universal

No issues using fullscreen with 2560x1440 here. Definitely renders in it too.

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
Ggeneral PC performance question.

Many games for me (Including NieR) never seem to quite lock to 60 when I have Vsync on. I get little dips to 59 seemingly no matter what (Even at 1080p) w/ my 1080.

I imagine it could have something to do with my monitor refresh rate? but I've got it set to 60Hz refresh.

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
Hmm you should definitely be able to hit 2GHz on that card easily, im personally running a ASUS Strix at 2088MHz Core and 5508MHz Memory

Oh I'm certain I could push it, I just really don't know in general how to balance voltage, memory speed, and GPU clock and whatnot, and I've never seen a guide good enough for me to feel confident in really experimenting.

Massicot

Hmm you should definitely be able to hit 2GHz on that card easily, im personally running a ASUS Strix at 2088MHz Core and 5508MHz Memory

Lol we have the exact same card. Brother!

Oh I'm certain I could push it, I just really don't know in general how to balance voltage, memory speed, and GPU clock and whatnot, and I've never seen a guide good enough for me to feel confident in really experimenting.

I don't want to say too much since I'm not an expert, but I generally just up the clock as much as I can without touching voltage. You can usually get a free "safe" overclock pretty easily.

AceFlame

Neo Member
In the first area after the tutorial, I get 48 fps @ 4k w/ AA turned off on my Titan XP.. w/ a 6700k @ 4.5Ghz and 16GB of ram. might be possible to hit 60 if I turned some things down, but for the time being I'm playing in 1440p w/ 8x AA and it's locked to 60.

Damn if a Titan XP can't hit 60 my 1080 has no chance haha

AceFlame

Neo Member

Check out Jayztwocentz guide on how to overclock pascal cards. Its a little different because they utilize GPU boost 3.0

Momentary

Banned
I'm running on a Titan XP and this game is not optimized at all. Something that looks like this should be able to run 120fps at 4K on a 1080Ti and Titan. But instead you struggle to run 60fps at 1440p with max "AA."

The AA in the game is non-existent by the way. I don't know why people even turn it on. It uses resources for no reason. AO also doesn't exist.

Damn if a Titan XP can't hit 60 my 1080 has no chance haha

The engine doesn't run that well for the visuals that it puts out, imo. I played through the game on ps4 pro and it had dips from 60.. noticeable particularly in areas w/ foliage.. not to the point that it affected gameplay to a significant degree, but they did happen.

It's nice to be able to brute force this thing to a constant 60.

AceFlame

Neo Member
I'm running on a Titan XP and this game is not optimized at all. Something that looks like this should be able to run 120fps at 4K on a 1080Ti and Titan. But instead you struggle to run 60fps at 1440p with max "AA."

The AA in the game is non-existent by the way. I don't know why people even turn it on. It uses resources for no reason. AO also doesn't exist.

I personally set my AA to 4X at 1440p, and i agree the graphics dont justify how absolutely demanding this game is. I mean i get 80-100FPS constantly on Witcher 3 at 1440p lol

Fou-Lu

Can anyone explain to me why when I try to download Nier it starts at 95% gets up to 99% and then stops? Happens over and over if I uninstall and try again.

ezodagrom

The AO option turns on post-processing AA (other than maybe a very subtle shadow on her neck?).

AA off, AO off - https://abload.de/img/aaoffaoofffmlgo.png
AA off, AO on - https://abload.de/img/aaoffaoon9mlxt.png
AA 8x, AO on - https://abload.de/img/aa8aoon2obwh.png

Post processing AA seems to be tied to the ambient occlusion option for some reason.
And also AA 8x seems to make jaggies worse in some parts.

Philtastic

This looks like a Switch game.

I agree that the graphics are not impressive (other than the incredible detail put into 2B) and that the game should have better performance for what it's rendering. As some others have mentioned, it does seem like the engine just isn't that good.

dr_rus

Ggeneral PC performance question.

Many games for me (Including NieR) never seem to quite lock to 60 when I have Vsync on. I get little dips to 59 seemingly no matter what (Even at 1080p) w/ my 1080.

I imagine it could have something to do with my monitor refresh rate? but I've got it set to 60Hz refresh.

This can't be discussed in general as it's completely title related. Nier seems to have some issue with its framerate limiter which actively prevents it from running at a constant 60 even when there's power to spare. Other games may have other issues.

There's also the question of how you're seeing these 59 and 60 as some software may actually report 59.9 as 59.

running at 1080p locked 60 in every area on an i5 3570k, GTX 1070, 16GB RAM

every setting cranked up to max. buttery smooth for the 9 hours straight I played it.

Somewhat considering trying to downsample from 1440p to see if there's much of a difference.

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
This can't be discussed in general as it's completely title related. Nier seems to have some issue with its framerate limiter which actively prevents it from running at a constant 60 even when there's power to spare. Other games may have other issues.

There's also the question of how you're seeing these 59 and 60 as some software may actually report 59.9 as 59.

Fair point, I'm just using the FPS counter built into steam.

Momentary

Banned
Frame limiter in the game is jacked up as well.

It never hits 60FPS no matter what resolution I use. With Afterburner it show 59.3-59.8 and constantly fluctuates. Someone on Kaldaien could probably fix this without too much work. Hopefully the Nier community attracts someone with his talents.

t1gerjaw

Can't get a stable framerate
I get drops from 60 to 53, sometimes to 42. 1080p, AA off, 2XAA, doesn't matter.

Running on a GTX 1060, i7 6700HQ 2.6GHz, 8GB RAM
Played for 6 hours, don't know if I can still get a refund.

btw, I'm very new to modern pc gaming.

iavi

Just got that white screen crash that's plaguing RX480 users. I didn't happen till I used the Win 10 gamebar to record some gameplay

I'm not gonna roll back my drivers for this game, so they needs to get this going. The game is amazing from what I've played

AceFlame

Neo Member
Just got that white screen crash that's plaguing RX480 users. I didn't happen till I used the Win 10 gamebar to record some gameplay

I'm not gonna roll back my drivers for this game, so they needs to get this going. The game is amazing from what I've played

I've never played a Nier game before and I've already sunken 7 hours straight into it. Its one of the better games I've played

Massicot

How will this game run on a GTX 970 with a i5 2500K OC to 4.5GHZ and 8GB of RAM at 1080p?

Skimming the thread, I think you should be fine 1080/60 if you just turn the AA down a bit (run it at 2x/4x and not 8x). But not a whole lot of information in the way of benchmarks atm.

Momentary

Banned
So I've been tinkering.

FULL SIZE COMPARISON HERE.

Here's the base game maxed out
32658292434_496ca975ad_h.jpg

Here's the base game with turning off AO and AA while implementing my own AA and MXAO.

I'm still trying to find a better AA solution.

dieandromeda

Neo Member
im using 980ti 1500Mhz and it can only run fine with 1400p. i try 4k since im using 4k tv but fps drop to 30-40fps with gpu usage mostly 100%.

980Ti
i7 6700k (last gen I think)
16 GB Memory
SSD
Win10

Game runs beautifully at 1080p with everything maxed. Happy I double-dipped.

EDIT: for me it's a solid 60 at 1080 so far (just got to the first possible save point)

No issues using fullscreen with 2560x1440 here. Definitely renders in it too.

Thanks for sharing your impressions. I can't seem to get full screen to render at above 900p on either a 1440p monitor connected via displayport, or a 4K TV using HDMI. What version of Nvidia drivers are you using if you don't mind my asking?

I'm getting a completely stable 60fps with everything on the highest settings except MSAA, which I have off (the game seems to have its own post-process AA that does the job well enough for now) at 1080p with an AMD RX470 and an i7 4770. Hope that helps anyone on the fence with similar specs.

ZeroEdge

If you're on a RX 480 you're probably going to need to roll back to 16.11.5 drivers. I've tried all the latter ones from there up to 17.3.2, and all of the newer ones would crash out at some point. Hopefully either AMD can get a driver update out soon, or Platinum can get a patch out for Nier. MAYBE they can fix the janky fps in the cut scenes too... Other then that I must say I am enjoying the game (now that it's not crashing)

feel

For anyone who might be interested, a couple of people on the Steam forums claim they had success using 0x080002F5 sli bits

How do I reactivate my controller? This is the first time I've used a controller (in this case, the XB1 Elite) on PC, and every time I tab out or accidentally move the mouse, my controller stops registering inputs; the only fix I've found is closing and reopening the game.

Banned
The main reason why framerate drops affect us is because the game is no longer updating at the same refresh rate as our monitor. Also the reason why 30fps "feels better" than 40 is because it's half of 60hz, so it updates more evenly.

Gsync monitors have variable refresh rates, basically, so it'll be smooth no matter when the picture updates.

You'll still be able to easily notice the difference between framerates, and higher will still be better, but reasonable drops will no longer feel stuttery.

Or at least that's my understanding of it. Never tried one myself.
It's essentially this. If a game with vsync drops to say 47 FPS you'll see crazy stutter and input lag.

With gsync you won't see the stutter. For me, a framerate of 48-60 looks the same to me so I'm not worried about minor dips. If it goes below 45 or so you do notice the game isn't as snappy and responsive.

For anyone who might be interested, a couple of people on the Steam forums claim they had success using 0x080002F5 sli bits

I haven't looked around enough to see if there are any graphical glitches, but those bits are giving pretty good SLI scaling for me.

Lol RX480 user here and at the first combat section the screen whited out but the game is clearly going in the background with sound. I take it we having some issues here?

So I should try to rollback to 16.11.5?

Thoraxes

So does it scale with better with multi-core setups, or is it more GPU bound? General performance issues aside, that is.

Top Bottom