• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

Palmer_v1

Mine keeps freezing, though I can still hear my character move around and do things if I hit buttons. Seems to be a GTX780 issue. Driving me crazy in conjunction with the saving system.

Im thinking about picking this up today. Ive got a 970, 6600k, and 16gb ram. Gsync monitor at 1080p. Ill be alright? Do i need to use any of the mods floating around? I dont care to unlock the framerate.

Im thinking about picking this up today. Ive got a 970, 6600k, and 16gb ram. Gsync monitor at 1080p. Ill be alright? Do i need to use any of the mods floating around? I dont care to unlock the framerate.
Yes, you'll want the FAR mod to reduce stuttering and improve performance with the Global Illumination settings.

Completed my first runthrough using mods (except for ReShade), and I'm amazed how great the performance has been on my GTX 970. Prior to FAR it was a hitch-fest - and the less said about those cutscene framerates, the better - but bar the occasional minor drop for loading between areas, the mods made the game smooth as butter for me. So thanks to all those involved who helped to bring this great game to where it deserves to be, performance-wise, it really is much appreciated.

Paragon

I just use the controller-based trackball emulation and not the mouse-based one. I don't notice any acceleration issues.
Strange, I tried both options and they seemed the same.
Slow inputs move the camera really quickly when aiming, and fast inputs move the camera really slowly.

Zeneric

you'll be able to max it out (except aa - set it at x2 or x4). you'll want to have the FAR fix/mod installed to have a steadily 60 fps experience at 1080p (be sure to set GI at 16 in the fix/mod - 128 is very gpu taxing).

my specs are the same as yours (except maybe cpu. my 6600k is oc'd at 4.5 ghz).

TheRed

That sounds like it's either a bug or a bad controller.
If you're using Steam to configure it, you could always increase the deadzone size on the right stick and see if it helps.

I just can't deal with the negative acceleration on the aiming with the touchpad/gyro or a mouse.
If someone manages to fix that, I'd switch over from a DualShock 4 to my Steam Controller again.
Until then, I'm stuck using analog sticks. (which I hate)

Before you throw the controller away or start replacing sticks or whatever, increase the deadzone on the stick that's misbehaving from Steam's controller config (like Paragon mentions above as well). I have had this happen on couple of games (that weren't using xinput afaik) after the SCAPI support for xbone controllers was rolled out, no idea if it will help but it's worth a shot.

Thanks. This worked, I just needed to crank the deadzone up to almost halfway until it worked.

Parsnip

Thanks. This worked, I just needed to crank the deadzone up to almost halfway until it worked.

I'd still try calibrating it or at least check if the drift happens in the Windows control panel. Even though you were able to bypass it with the deadzone increase, that drift seems way too high to be normal so maybe it's defective.

TrueHero

So I finally downloaded FAR today after using borderless windows. Is the screen tearing a problem with anyone else? I'm getting really bad screen tearing even with Vsync on for some reason, also I'm not really noticing to much of a difference with GI low vs ultra at the resistance camp, is having it at low worse down the line? Considering switching from GI low 4k to 1440p GI high if it causes issues.

TheRed

I'd still try calibrating it or at least check if the drift happens in the Windows control panel. Even though you were able to bypass it with the deadzone increase, that drift seems way too high to be normal so maybe it's defective.

Yea I did the calibrating and saw the drift there too. It seems defective but at least Nier still seems perfectly playable with this deadzone increase.

Ascheroth

you'll be able to max it out (except aa - set it at x2 or x4). you'll want to have the FAR fix/mod installed to have a steadily 60 fps experience at 1080p (be sure to set GI at 16 in the fix/mod - 128 is very gpu taxing).

my specs are the same as yours (except maybe cpu. my 6600k is oc'd at 4.5 ghz).

Don't set GI to low unless you absolutely can't run the game otherwise. The GI-'setting' is not free performance. It's very much lowering a setting and makes the lighting look wrong in places. Even at medium (32) I've noticed a few wrong spots. I would leave it at high (64) at the very least unless you absolutely can't, considering the lighting and atmosphere genereted by it is one of the games strongest visual aspects. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if even high did have a few problems still.

Ascheroth

Any examples of this?
The amusement park seems to be affected the most (on low at least).
I've noticed a few wrongly lit patches of grass in the city ruins with medium. Now, that's not a big deal, but it shows that something is still changing and could potentially affect other areas as well.

Vertti

I played 40 hours without any real problems. My only crash happened in the last hour of my playthrough.

I understand that not everybody was happy with the port but calling it bad is absurd. Let's leave that for the actually crappy PC ports.

zogged

Alright so after getting the fan patch off the workshop the game is running a lot better, but I'm getting audio sync issues and sometimes delayed/unregistered inputs. Anyone have any advice?

Running on a 2gb 960, AMD FX-6300 Black, and Kingston HyperX 8gb

heringer

The amusement park seems to be affected the most (on low at least).
I've noticed a few wrongly lit patches of grass in the city ruins with medium. Now, that's not a big deal, but it shows that something is still changing and could potentially affect other areas as well.

Played almost all of route A with GI on low and couldn't notice any difference other than the odd brighter grass in a couple of spots (and even then I only noticed because someone pointed out with screens first). YMMV. I would say it's definitely worth the performance gains.

Crevox

I tried the framerate unlock and yeah, I'm definitely not playing with that on. It feels really messy. I noticed a few different things that speed up and it makes the gameplay feel abnormal.

Game looks really good in 4k anyways. Only real major issues remaining in my opinion are the shadow mapping problems and stutters on traveling, but don't think there's anything that can be done about those. Would be cool to get an up-res on the light shafts, but it's not a big deal.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm fairly convinced that Ambient occlusion is just not working correctly for me. The whole world is flat looking, and theres weird AO artifacting on a lot of walls.

No idea how to resolve it unfortunately.

Anteater

I'm fairly convinced that Ambient occlusion is just not working correctly for me. The whole world is flat looking, and theres weird AO artifacting on a lot of walls.

are you sure it's just not the AO being crappy? It's pretty low res and flicker in some areas

Ascheroth

The AO is pretty weak in general sadly.
Are you using the GI-fix, by chance? If yes, try setting the quality higher, as lower values can break/change lighting in some spots (off is a no go).

Laiza

Speaking of AO, Is it possible to force HBAO+ in this game?
Yes, but it ends up being really subtle and occasionally buggy. Maybe I need to find a better profile for it...

I'm currently using 0x00140000 (Lords of the Fallen). It works, it just bleeds (very slightly) through water and fog and sometimes (very rarely) it flickers on and off and don't know why. Also, it's quite weak and hard to tell that it's on, but at least it works.

Note that you'll get some weird behavior in the unit data screen. The depth buffer does not get resized with the unit models, so you'll see the AO around the picture-in-picture window of the unit you're looking at. (This, by the way, serves as a very useful way to tell that HBAO+ is actually working.) This also happens with reshade's MXAO, so it's just a quirk of the engine I think. No way to fix it aside from the devs changing the way the resizing works to include the depth buffer, and why would they care to do that?

Durante

It really does need better AO and more vibrant colors imo.
Better AO, sure, absolutely. Though the AO algorithm used in the game is really quite good (it's SAO), it's just the resolution letting it down.
That should be easy enough to fix, but I won't have time to do that before mid-April. Maybe someone else will get to it. (In case anyone wants to give it a try: note that a 1-component 32 bit float buffer for depth is involved which is rendered to on each mip level, this one is then sampled in the main DoF pass which targets a RGBA8 buffer, and then there is a horizontal and a vertical depth-dependent blur pass on those. All these buffers are 800x450)

Anyway, I very strongly disagree about the colors. Every scene in the game looks like it's supposed to look in terms of overall lighting and color. I've seen some screenshots with ReShade or something increasing saturation, and I think they lose a lot of the very specifically designed atmosphere.

No way to fix it aside from the devs [...]
Pfft :p

heringer

Better AO, sure, absolutely. Though the AO algorithm used in the game is really quite good (it's SAO), it's just the resolution letting it down.
That should be easy enough to fix, but I won't have time to do that before mid-April. Maybe someone else will get to it. (In case anyone wants to give it a try: note that a 1-component 32 bit float buffer for depth is involved which is rendered to on each mip level, this one is then sampled in the main DoF pass which targets a RGBA8 buffer, and then there is a horizontal and a vertical depth-dependent blur pass on those)

Anyway, I very strongly disagree about the colors. Every scene in the game looks like it's supposed to look in terms of overall lighting and color. I've seen some screenshots with ReShade or something increasing saturation, and I think they lose a lot of the very specifically designed atmosphere.

Yeah, I agree. The muted colors are perfect for the atmosphere the game is trying to convey. We don't need everything to be super colorful.

But hey, the beauty about PC gaming is that if you want everything to be colorful, you can do just that.

The main flaw is how bad the texture resolution is.

Indeed. Let's just say the textures are the weakest link in the presentation.

Ascheroth

That should be easy enough to fix, but I won't have time to do that before mid-April. Maybe someone else will get to it. (In case anyone wants to give it a try: note that a 1-component 32 bit float buffer for depth is involved which is rendered to on each mip level, this one is then sampled in the main DoF pass which targets a RGBA8 buffer, and then there is a horizontal and a vertical depth-dependent blur pass on those. All these buffers are 800x450)

Yeah, I've been using ReShade to sharpen textures just a little, but no way I'm touching the colors for this game.

Durante

I didn't say that it has to be "super colorful". But more vibrant.
Sure. I'm saying no way. It's not supposed to be vibrant. (Outside of very specific effects and scenes, which would lose some impact if everything was more vibrant)

As heringer says, it's a PC game and everyone can play it exactly how they like, I just disagree that it should be more vibrant :p

Er, forgive my "noob"-ness, but is Kaldaien's fix mod really that easy to install? Amazing.

Thanks for all your hard work, those that helped mod this. Great, great stuff.

Mupod

caved in and bought it just to keep my mind off Persona 5 until next week. SLI 970s running locked 60 at 1440p so far, with fixes applied. Haven't noticed any graphical weirdness.

I'm just so happy at how much more pleasant this is to play with FAR in place. I was pretty concerned before launch about how it would run on my old 770 and on day one I was starting to wonder if buying on PC was a mistake. Now I definitely do not feel that way. :p

Sure. I'm saying no way. It's not supposed to be vibrant. (Outside of very specific effects and scenes, which would lose some impact if everything was more vibrant)

Yeah, this is one of those games where the visual style is very much intentional and I wouldn't deign to think I could improve it with wanton tweakery.

ezodagrom

(except aa - set it at x2 or x4)
With a 970 it'll be better to leave AA off, using just the post processing AA that is included in the AO option.

Don't set GI to low unless you absolutely can't run the game otherwise. The GI-'setting' is not free performance. It's very much lowering a setting and makes the lighting look wrong in places. Even at medium (32) I've noticed a few wrong spots. I would leave it at high (64) at the very least unless you absolutely can't, considering the lighting and atmosphere genereted by it is one of the games strongest visual aspects. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if even high did have a few problems still.
I'm finding manually setting it to 48 on FAR.ini to be a good middle ground between quality and performance, though I've only reached the resistance camp, so no idea about possible side-effects afterwards.

Lumine

Mine keeps freezing, though I can still hear my character move around and do things if I hit buttons. Seems to be a GTX780 issue. Driving me crazy in conjunction with the saving system.

Damnit. Bought this today. Also on a GTX780. Runs "decent" enough. However about 30 or so minutes into the game my screen just freezes. Happened twice now around the same spot. Around the time you see some birds and green for the first time. I'm guessing that's where the game opens up and you can finally save for the first time shortly after. But I couldn't. Sorely disappointed. Anything I can do? :(

The FAR mod's been working great, but I'm having trouble updating it. It launches the updater when I open the game from Steam, but when I go to update the game always opens before it finishes and closes both itself and the updater.

Is there any way to manually update FAR or trigger the updater outside of launching the game?

Mifec

The FAR mod's been working great, but I'm having trouble updating it. It launches the updater when I open the game from Steam, but when I go to update the game always opens before it finishes and closes both itself and the updater.

Is there any way to manually update FAR or trigger the updater outside of launching the game?

Use specialK to uninstall it and then reinstall

Internets

I got:

GTX 770
i5-4690k
24 GB RAM

I have a feeling this is on the lower end of the spectrum. Would I be better of getting the PS4 Pro version?

ClearData

Need some help guys. What are the best tweaks to achieve a 60 FPS presentation? I have tried lowering anti-aliasing and such and while I do hit 56-60 FPS, I still suffer massive drops down to 45 in certain areas or in combat. I do have ambient occlusion on and motion blur, but in my mind I should have the horsepower to run this game at 60 FPS with the eye candy. Is it poor optimization at fault? Being a Platinum game I want the smoothest frame rate. Should I try botderless full screen?

Here are my specs

3440x1440 (21:9)
Intel 4990K
32 GB RAM
GTX 1080

I have the game installed to an SSD. I have FAR patch installed too.

Need some help guys. What are the best tweaks to achieve a 60 FPS presentation? I have tried lowering anti-aliasing and such and while I do hit 56-60 FPS, I still suffer massive drops down to 45 in certain areas or in combat. I do have ambient occlusion on and motion blur, but in my mind I should have the horsepower to run this game at 60 FPS with the eye candy. Is it poor optimization at fault? Being a Platinum game I want the smoothest frame rate. Should I try botderless full screen?

Here are my specs

3440x1440 (21:9)
Intel 4990K
32 GB RAM
GTX 1080

I have the game installed to an SSD. I have FAR patch installed too.

Did you reduce the Global Illumination setting? You can access the FAR settings with CTRL SHIFT and Backspace. Try and reduce it to 64, 32 or 16. As a result of reducing this you may see a decrease in the quality of the GI lighting.

Gbraga

I got:

GTX 770
i5-4690k
24 GB RAM

I have a feeling this is on the lower end of the spectrum. Would I be better of getting the PS4 Pro version?

Yeah, if that's an option, for sure.

Though if you're planning on upgrading the GPU soon, the rest of your PC is fantastic, and would easily give you a better experience.

Top Bottom