• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

Durante

I see. So in theory it would've been noticeable had, say, the PS4 Pro run NieR at higher resolutions?

From what I can tell from screenshots, the PS4 Pro version also seems to use the same 800x450 buffers for effects that the plain PS4 version uses. Despite rendering at 1080p. (It really is exactly the PC version at 1080p with MSAA off and low AF)

Durante

You aren't doing anything wrong, the light shaft rendering is different from the bloom rendering and that's simply its default level of quality.

ClearData

I got to my 60 FPS threshold without drops (so far). I am not sure how perfect it is since I haven't gotten to a new boss or had a fight with a lot of robots with lazer effects and explosions to factor in.

So far I had to trade a large resolution drop (3440x1440 > 1920x1080) and global illumination turned down to high from ultra for it but I got to keep anti-aliasing and textures cranked up to max, and I kept ambient occlusion and bloom on. IQ still looks great and gameplay is finally smooth.

I am still hoping a patch and driver updates in the future allow me to push the quality up without sacrificing framerate, but for now I'll play at this level and be happy

gngf123

Okay, I finally got time to sit down with this and try the updated FAR.

It's working well except for one problem - the game seems to start lagging after an hour or two of play, and then doesn't seem to properly shut down when I exit. It appears in task manager taking up nearly all of my RAM and using 100% of my disk. I can't shut it from task manager so I need to force a reboot.

Anyone know how to fix this? Or if it is possible to just use the GI fix without FAR because honestly that's all I need.

didamangi

Okay, I finally got time to sit down with this and try the updated FAR.

It's working well except for one problem - the game seems to start lagging after an hour or two of play, and then doesn't seem to properly shut down when I exit. It appears in task manager taking up nearly all of my RAM and using 100% of my disk. I can't shut it from task manager so I need to force a reboot.

Anyone know how to fix this? Or if it is possible to just use the GI fix without FAR because honestly that's all I need.

A few users seems to be experiencing some kind of memory leak with the latest version. You can try installing previous version of FAR.

https://github.com/Kaldaien/FAR/releases

edit: And Kaldaien fixes it already.

0.5.0.3 fixes memory leak and various other problems in the original AO implementation

pa22word

Hey guys kinda had my windows install go up in flames last night and lost my save. Anyone here have a save on route b or a cleared A+B route save they could spare me by chance?

Hey guys kinda had my windows install go up in flames last night and lost my save. Anyone here have a save on route b or a cleared A+B route save they could spare me by chance?

Damn, that really sucks. I know Nier has steam cloud support though, does your save not show up when you reinstall?

Pinkuss

So is the only solution to the RX 480 white screen crash to rollback to the old 16.11.5 drivers?

So far it looks so.

I emailed Tech support; they replied the next day (24th March) asking for my system details. Not heard anything since (also followed up for a response on Sunday, nothing so far).

Their website says to upgrade your drivers. This does not work.

TLCO

Neo Member
Is it possible to remove "B" or "E" for keyboard that is visible above 9S head all the time?

There is a HUD toggle mod over on Dead End Thrills forums but that's all I'm afraid. Sucks because it doesn't work when Reshade and FAR are active, so you can only choose two.

So guys, a couple things:

1. Holy hell that Fix Automata Resolution patch works bloody WONDERS.

2. Is it just me or is shooting while in the top-down perspective incredibly inaccurate with a mouse? Any way to fix that?

LegendX48

So far it looks so.

I emailed Tech support; they replied the next day (24th March) asking for my system details. Not heard anything since (also followed up for a response on Sunday, nothing so far).

Their website says to upgrade your drivers. This does not work.

welp, guess I'll be waiting on a patch or new drivers. Not juggling between old and current drivers just for one game.

Pinkuss

welp, guess I'll be waiting on a patch or new drivers. Not juggling between old and current drivers just for one game.

Yep, same here. Annoyingly I didn't really hear about this before buying (around 5 days after release); assuming it was discussed but I'd of expected to see it reported more in the gaming media.

Also a bit let down by the lack of communication from the developers; I don't really care that much that it's an issue as long as they communicate (I know they're working on some fixes but what fixes) and my request from tech support has been ignored it seems.

V_Arnold

Downloaded 17.4.1 Drivers (AMD, RX470 here).
White screen issue STILL present. 16.11.5 still the last known "good" driver.

And by good, I mean "my pc hard crashed when I was playing it and a Steam popul interrupted me", but hey....Nier Automata, see you in a month or two when this is fixed. I am tired of this. 16.11.5 is CRAP for video players, it randomly loses screen for a second, so please.

I *really* hope Platinum fixes this, or that they even care at this point.

LegendX48

Yep, same here. Annoyingly I didn't really hear about this before buying (around 5 days after release); assuming it was discussed but I'd of expected to see it reported more in the gaming media.

Also a bit let down by the lack of communication from the developers; I don't really care that much that it's an issue as long as they communicate (I know they're working on some fixes but what fixes) and my request from tech support has been ignored it seems.
I heard about it at launch but kind of hoped it would've been resolved, at the very least via mods.

And by good, I mean "my pc hard crashed when I was playing it and a Steam popul interrupted me", but hey....Nier Automata, see you in a month or two when this is fixed. I am tired of this. 16.11.5 is CRAP for video players, it randomly loses screen for a second, so please.

still? I felt hope for a second when I saw new drivers just now >.>

Man, I hope there's something soon. I wanna play this game.

I'm getting a white screen crash every few hours with my 970. Really driving me crazy. I hate losing progress every few hours because of this.

Should have just bought the PS4 version.

Tried out the test branch with native bloom and AO on, but it looked pretty messed up and was having the flickering button/key prompts, so I switched back to the main branch.

The lighting just became super dramatic when both bloom and AO were set to native, like the dark parts became incredibly dark and the light parts incredibly bright. I could barely see inside the (late Route A location)
Forest Castle
but was immediately blinded by light when I walked outside of it. The rays of light were also jarringly jagged, seemingly more so than before, but it may have been that they just stood out more in the new lighting.

I think I'm happy with it my settings as of now (2xMSAA, Medium GI, Native Bloom), but I am curious if that is something that typically happens or if there was some problem causing it.

Im not seeing where to set AO and bloom to native? I only see Bloom when I hit Control + Shift + backspace.

Setting AO to native is only available in the test branch, not in the main branch yet. You have to go to SKIM64 (the installer) and select the test branch, then click migrate to install that version.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not being fixed with the latest driver is disappointing. I guess I will end up putting this off until after Cosmic Star Heroine since that's about to come out. Maybe by then either Platinum/SE or AMD will have fixed it.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Is there anyway to push the LOD further out? I'm constantly dealing with buildings that look like cardboard boxes when I am 10 meters away from them.

(Not using MSAA together with AO)

Anteater

yeah the LOD is pretty bad, I'm not sure why but they are more noticeable now than before, not sure if I just notice them more because everything else are good or that they got worse at certain parts of the game :p

Well fuck. Saw new AMD drivers released and thought that maybe this issue is fixed. Well back to Persona....

NeoRaider

I must be really lucky with this game because i never had any crash or bigger issue with it.

It never crashed for me, i don't have problem with resolutions in fullscreen. Also performance is really good for me. 1440p, all settings on highest possible, AA off i get 40-60fps. It's around 45-60 most of the time which is pretty acceptable for me. I was expecting much worse i have to say.

Yeah i agree about LOD, it can be really bad. Also textures and light shafts are really LQ. But game can also be very beautiful and in motion i don't even notice these things too much.

Nabs

I must be really lucky with this game because i never had any crash or bigger issue with it.

It never crashed for me, i don't have problem with resolutions in fullscreen. Also performance is really good for me. 1440p, all settings on highest possible, AA off i get 40-60fps. It's around 45-60 most of the time which is pretty acceptable for me. I was expecting much worse i have to say.

Yeah i agree about LOD, it can be really bad. Also textures and light shafts are really LQ. But game can also be very beautiful and in motion i don't even notice these things too much.

You're not using the mod, right? The GI tweak could have helped get you close to a locked 60.

datamage

yeah the LOD is pretty bad, I'm not sure why but they are more noticeable now than before, not sure if I just notice them more because everything else are good or that they got worse at certain parts of the game :p

Is the LOD equivalent to the PS4 version?

NeoRaider

Yup. There are 4 or so options, and you can adjust it while you play the game.

I didn't install it because i was happy with the performance. I am not sure how much will it improve my fps? Also i don't want to lower settings and make the game look even worse.

Since we are talking about LOD and IQ in general i think that this screenshot that i took shows the problems with this game very well:

nierautomata2017-04-07jjvm.png

Everything that is few feet away from you can look bad and LQ. Textures, shadows, AO...
Some textures can be nice, even when you get close to them. But generally i think that textures work in this game is really pure. Too much re-use of assets and it just doesn't look good aesthetically

NeoRaider

BTW. I am little surprised that they still haven't released any patches for the game.
Do we know are they actually working on fixes for the problems ppl are reporting?

Anteater

BTW. I am little surprised that they still haven't released any patches for the game.
Do we know are they actually working on fixes for the problems ppl are reporting?

they said they're aware of the problems

they didn't fix shit with MGR when they said "we're listening, oh no we'll just leave it to konami", so i don't expect much from them, but hey who knows :p

Amirnol

I've been using the Fix Resolution Tool and it works wonderfully. However last night I tried the testing branch for the improved AO, and while it does seem improved, I encountered an issue I didn't have before.

Just to the screen-left of the main character is a weird bit of blurriness, almost looks like a ghost of the character model. It's much more noticeable while moving the character. It's a bit hard to describe, I am sorry I don't have an image but you need to see it in motion to better understand it I think. Is this a known issue? I am using a GTX970 if that matters. I switched back to the main branch for now.

ezodagrom

I've been using the Fix Resolution Tool and it works wonderfully. However last night I tried the testing branch for the improved AO, and while it does seem improved, I encountered an issue I didn't have before.

Just to the screen-left of the main character is a weird bit of blurriness, almost looks like a ghost of the character model. It's much more noticeable while moving the character. It's a bit hard to describe, I am sorry I don't have an image but you need to see it in motion to better understand it I think. Is this a known issue? I am using a GTX970 if that matters. I switched back to the main branch for now.
Yeah, motion blur is broken with the ambient occlusion fix, version 0.5.0.5 has a test fix for this issue, but yeah, it's better to stick to the main branch, the testing branch is meant for testing new features which may sometimes cause issues.

I have noticed some odd lighting or motion blur artifacts(?) going on when dashing that exist independent of the mod.

Cyanity

Banned
So uh, I downloaded and installed FAR, but the Ctrl-shift-backspace menu isn't showing up. Is this maybe because I've been launching the game in Big Picture Mode? (I'm not at home to test this right now)

Top Bottom