• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galway-age (Ireland): but what do you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm travelling to Galway tomorrow and relaxing there for the next three days. What is there to do and see over there? I like small picturesque villages, but besides being a small industry hub, I have no idea what there is to experience over there. Anything you guys and gals would recommend?

Seraphym

Actually here now staying with friends.
Firstly there is a fantastic range of food and drink places, Dough Bros is great and reasonable .
Do you have a car? Or relying on public transport as FYI there is a bus strike locally

No car, I'm flying in tomorrow through dublin and taking the goBus (it said the Cork service was down due to a strike, but nothing about Galway). I'm shacking near the town center, so anything in that walking distance by foot is fine. But if there is a strike going on for buses... how else do you get around?

danthefan

I'm from Dublin so don't know a huge amount about Galway, there's an Irish thread over on OT Community who might be able to help you out.

The only option for getting around in rural Ireland are private bus companies at the moment. Not sure how well served anywhere is with those. You'd probably get from, say, Dublin to Galway just fine but local routes you'd probably have less luck.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1198059

The West coast of Ireland is stunning so try organise a nice day tour, visit the cliffs or something.

Do private bus tours if you're not driving. Connemara, Cliffs of Moher, Aran Islands.

In the city itself, walk the streets, dine in some of the lovely restaurants around the Spanish / Latin quarter, go to the Cathedral, head out to Salt Hill.

One of my bosses, visiting from Seattle, went there at the weekend. Said he really enjoyed it. He really liked the aquarium, was very impressed, oddly enough.

Seraphym

It is so far only Bus Eireann affected, so other services running, but they are the main providers in the area.
If you can get out and about the Moher cliffs and Connemara are well worth a visit. The city itself you can cover in a day, the old city walls and Spanish arch are exactly what they sound like. If you are lucky you may see the black Swan in the bay, seems to be a source of local interest.
Plenty of tour operators in the area too if you don't want to risk the buses.
Either way, great food, great people and good craic!
Enjoy

These are great tips. Thanks everyone! Moher and craggy islands are on my list now.
If there are any gaffers in the area, i'll trade a pint for stories at a pub. I'll ask for more details on the irish OT as well.
And I guess I'll use this thread as a travel log.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Live here, but what's been mentioned already is a good chunk for a 3-day stay. Be prepared for shortages of taxis at certain times during the day due to the bus strike if you plan on taking them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom