• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Detailed, As Creator Says It's The Most Ambitious Game Ever

Alpha Update 3.0 represents a "major milestone" for Star Citizen, Roberts said, in part because it's the first time people will get to try the game's Planetary Tech "in a live build" of the game.

"3.0 represents a giant jump in gameplay potential from the code in the 2.x branch," Roberts said.

The aforementioned Planetary Tech "opens up a whole new landscape (pun intended) for adventure," Roberts added. "In the same way that Large World and Physics Grids created new possibilities in gameplay by allowing players to go from walking around a space station to boarding a ship, flying it hundreds of thousands of kilometers, exiting their pilot seat, walking to an airlock, opening it and EVAing over to a derelict station, all from the same point of view, the Planetary Tech takes it one massive leap further."

What this means in practice is that, when you encounter a planet or a moon, you can actually go there, land on it, and explore boots on the ground or in a vehicle.

"All seamlessly, all with the incredible first person detail that Star Citizen is known for," Roberts said. "With this we are delivering something that goes way beyond the initial promises and conception of Star Citizen; we will be simulating a First person Universe with almost no limits. It's a great illustration of how with the support of a Community as great as Star Citizen's anything is possible."

"No one has ever attempted to build a game as ambitious as Star Citizen and I doubt any publisher would have the patience or stamina that it requires to build something that breaks molds the way Star Citizen does," Roberts said. "3.0 with its Planetary Tech is a testimony to the power of Crowdfunding and an enthusiastic, empowered Community. Myself and the team and eternally thankful to be able to build Star Citizen the right way, being able to take the time to engineer things for the long term, a way that will allow the universe to flourish for years to come. Together we are making history."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizen-alpha-30-detailed-as-creator-says-its/1100-6449369/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOjXfNnhxf0

Chev

Wasn't 3.0 the update planned for the end of last year? Well, fingers crossed for them getting it out in June.

That's cool and all, and I'm looking forward to Star Citizen, but I don't think there's anything particularly special about this. RSI are always putting out these kinds of statements.

The interesting part will be seeing the awesome planet stuff when 3.0 actually hits.

Rains

when is this game getting released fully also it looks fantastic

Also am guessing a 1080ti to run this thing at 1440p high ?

All I want is a game that combines the flight model of Elite with the economics and strategy of EVE. Is Star Citizen going to have a player run economy?

DiscoJer

I dunno. While they never panned out, Derek Smart had ridiculously ambitious (and similar) plans for his Battlecruiser series. You were supposed to be able to do all that. Explore a galaxy, get out and walk on planets or whatever.

Chris Roberts is much more likely to actually achieve it, but the general idea has been around a while.

RK9039

I dunno. While they never panned out, Derek Smart had ridiculously ambitious (and similar) plans for his Battlecruiser series. You were supposed to be able to do all that. Explore a galaxy, get out and walk on planets or whatever.

Chris Roberts is much more likely to actually achieve it, but the general idea has been around a while.

Does Derrick actually make games?

jono51

Banned
game is vaporware

derek smart blog post

ps4 when?

$3000 for a ship that doesnt exist yet

uncharted gif

look at all these other games have done x before

not playable

Mr.Sword

That's cool and all, and I'm looking forward to Star Citizen, but I don't think there's anything particularly special about this. RSI are always putting out these kinds of statements.

The interesting part will be seeing the awesome planet stuff when 3.0 actually hits.

All planets were delayed from 3.0, current plan is to have 3 moons and as a stretch goal* a landing zone ( the one shown in gamescom 2016 demo )

The current 3.0 in the schedule report is much lighter than the one promised last year in august. Which is good in a way since this seems feasible actually, but disappointing at the same time given what was promised and hyped.

* might not make it in 3.0

HowZatOZ

Banned
Is Star Citizen just the Milky Way galaxy or is it many galaxies generated like Elite? Because if it's the latter that's definitely ambitious to have planets we don't even physically know about being explorable. Would it just be a random generator for planet ecosystems?

Ritzboof

this game still isnt out? or is it? i honestly dont know, i couldnt find the game for sale but its on version 3.0. in any case, i sure hope it isnt an NMS scale failure. "the most ambitions game ever" coming straight from them is definitely a good sign

obviously i hope the game comes out and succeeds, but this is a little weird

What happened to the single player demo that was so close to ready 6 months ago?

Squadron 42 was delayed until TBD

The single player demo that they wanted to showcase during Citizencon was canned at the very last minute due to minor animation issues.

Peroroncino

I really hope they manage to pull it off and that it's gonna be everything the fanbase wanted, but as far as I'm concerned, the game is dead. It is possible that Squadron 42 will briefly reignite my interest in Star Citizen, but only for the duration of that campaign, the persistent universe aspect of the game however lost me after the third or so delay. People buying ships worth thousands of dollars also didn't help - I don't like paid advantages, especially in a game as expansive as this. But not all is doom and gloom, after I've ran out of patience and faith I've bought Elite Dangerous hoping it would scratch that space sim itch in desperate need of scratching [spoilers, it did, big time, will probably double dip when it releases on ps4].

Additionaly, I'm a bit surprised they still *will* be in an alpha stage... even after all this time, most ambitious game or not, that really doesn't bode well. I also wonder what monstrous PCs will be required for this game to run comfrotably in an online environment.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I just want SQ42, that's literally all I care about, and I have this terrible dread that it'll be delayed from 2017.

Also, the computer it will take to run the full MMO portion well is going to be something else.

this game still isnt out? or is it? i honestly dont know, i couldnt fien the game for sale but its on version 3.0. in any case, i sure hope it isnt an NMS scale failure. "the most ambitions game ever" coming straight from them is definitely a good sign

obviously i hope the game comes out and succeeds, but this is a little weird

If this game is a failure, "NMS scale" will like comparing the size of a peanut, vs the moon.

Deadstar

Any one know when it's the last chance to upgrade your ship and get free lifetime insurance? I thought they said that you would only have until one of the big updates. I'm still waiting on details for some of the ships before upgrading.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I'm more excited for SC (3.0 and beyond) then SQ42. I will play both but i'm more interested in the presistent universe MMO world. For me the biggest reason why i have invested in this game.

If you've been following the dev and showcase videos, a lot of the features do indeed exist.

This is the most annoying part about all the "it's a scam" comments that come up whenever Star Citizen gets mentioned. It's really not that hard to keep up with this game, I pay attention to it maybe once every 2-3 months and it's pretty apparent that there's work being done on it. If you wanna criticize the pace of development or the features then cool, have at it, but the "it's all a scam" comments just seem like the laziest opinion anyone can have about Star Citizen.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
This is the most annoying part about all the "it's a scam" comments that come up whenever Star Citizen gets mentioned. It's really not that hard to keep up with this game, I pay attention to it maybe once every 2-3 months and it's pretty apparent that there's work being done on it. If you wanna criticize the pace of development or the features then cool, have at it, but the "it's all a scam" comments just seem like the laziest opinion anyone can have about Star Citizen.

Yeah, they produce and publish quite a few videos each week as well. They're pretty transparent about their bugs and other production challenges as well.

Comandr

Really excited to see continued developments moving forward.

Updated the game the other day for the first time in... a year? Astounded by how much better the performance is on my PC. I have an 4790k and two 970s. I was getting .. okay performance before at 1080p on reasonably high settings. Now I get perfect 60fps on very high, and ...playable performance at 4k at the same quality settings.

So under the hood I can testify that things are progressing.

Now I just need a release date for my cutlass black rework.

I think if anyone watches the "cargo" video they'll see the incredible amount of work that goes into making just one system work. We would normally never see this kind of thing for a game in development. It would just get delayed year after year and we'd never be told why and just accept it.

Then you have a game like this with completely transparent development and happens to also be doing some genuinely incredible stuff for gameplay and people throw their hands up screaming scam, vaporware, and scorpio. I don't get it.

Jackpot

Banned

'Scam' gets thrown around a lot by detractors and supporters but there are different degrees.

Do I think SC is a deliberate money-swindling scheme waiting to cross some arbitrary threshold when Roberts & Co will go "sucks to be you!" and make a dash for Mexico? Of course not.

But I do think there have been many convenient lies of omission and the prioritising of creating new spaceships for people to buy to rake in some extra dough to sustain the bloated development process.

I believe the game will miss all its deadlines and be stuck in long and painful Early Access period that will sour most players.

5+ years development and you're only on JIRA 76,000 something?

MMO devs everywhere are chuckling under their breath at your humble-brag about a number that actually isn't impressive to anyone who has worked on a giant game using JIRA as a task/bug tracker.

Ya'll ain't granular enough in task tracking. Or are wizards who don't make a lot of bugs.

JP_

Banned
I just skimmed the video and they were talking about managing weight distribution of your cargo in your ship and I guess to me that sounds more like a job than a game. Game just seems way too big to me. And I'm not talking about their ability to complete it... I'm talking like, I don't have time to live a second life as a space freighter or whatever.

All planets were delayed from 3.0, current plan is to have 3 moons and as a stretch goal* a landing zone ( the one shown in gamescom 2016 demo )

The current 3.0 in the schedule report is much lighter than the one promised last year in august. Which is good in a way since this seems feasible actually, but disappointing at the same time given what was promised and hyped.

* might not make it in 3.0

Ah, that's a bit more underwhelming than I was hoping for. Thanks for the info though! As you say, starting with some moons seems like a more sensible kick-off point anyway (and should have been what they projected for in the first place).

Who knows where SQ42 is at this point but it always seems to me like they have so many basic gameplay systems (AI, Boarding, docking, etc) still in development that there is no way in hell it's seeing the light of day this year. Which is fine, best for them to take their time, but they should really stop putting dates to things. I feel like they're so tied up in the hype machine that they feel obliged to give out dates and things when they should really just keep that aspect quiet.

But I do think there have been many convenient lies of omission and the prioritising of creating new spaceships for people to buy to rake in some extra dough to sustain the bloated development process.

I believe the game will miss all its deadlines and be stuck in long and painful Early Access period that will sour most players.

Did someone say creating new spaceships!?! Well the Banu Defender will be the next new ship at $185. Information to be released this week.

lol

Spaghetti

I'll probably never play Star Citizen, but watching the development process is this near-unique thing that's pretty engrossing to catch up on every couple of months.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
5+ years development and you're only on JIRA 76,000 something?

MMO devs everywhere are chuckling under their breath at your humble-brag about a number that actually isn't impressive to anyone who has worked on a giant game using JIRA as a task/bug tracker.

Ya'll ain't granular enough in task tracking. Or are wizards who don't make a lot of bugs.

Would you mind explaining this JIRA stuff, to the uninitiated?

I just skimmed the video and they were talking about managing weight distribution of your cargo in your ship and I guess to me that sounds more like a job than a game. Game just seems way too big to me. And I'm not talking about their ability to complete it... I'm talking like, I don't have time to live a second life as a space freighter or whatever.

Yeah, like, why are they wasting money and dev time on that bullshit?

Chev

Would you mind explaining this JIRA stuff, to the uninitiated?
JIRA's a tool for tracking tasks and bugs in a project, among other things. ScatheZombie's complaint likely refers to how that 76'000 figure, which refers to the number of tasks or bugs referenced in the system, may seem impressive to the uninitiated but its actually super low for a 5 years software development project, which means only the project's broad strokes are tracked and/or more generally that the tracking is incomplete or inaccurate due to people not referencing their tasks, which would defeat the purpose of the tool.

coughlanio

It's specifically called Star Citizen Alpha 3.0. The full game will come without the "Alpha" part.

There's no such thing as a industry standard for version numbering.

SemVer is staring to become that I think, but I don't think that's what SC is using, nor would it make much sense for games.

JIRA's a tool for tracking tasks and bugs in a project, among other things. ScatheZombie's complaint likely refers to how that 76'000 figure, which refers to the number of tasks or bugs referenced in the system, may seem impressive to the uninitiated but its actually super low for a 5 years software development project, which means only the project's broad strokes are tracked and/or more generally that the tracking is incomplete or inaccurate due to people not referencing their tasks, which would defeat the purpose of the tool.

Exactly this. On one MMO project we were on JIRA 500,000 something after 5 years. On another I had over 2,000 bugs and tasks on just my queue alone for a single monthly content update. It adds up incredibly fast and 76,000 is actually an incredibly low number for the team size, project scope and development time.

Assuming you are using JIRA as your primary bug and task tracker and have an appropriate level of detail branching into dozens, or hundreds, of sub-tasks.

Top Bottom