• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Stars available launch day as a PlayStation Plus Game Catalog title August 29 – demo out today

Draugoth

Gold Member

Sea of Stars will be available as a PlayStation Plus Game Catalog title on launch day​

Sea of Stars available launch day as a PlayStation Plus Game Catalog title August 29 – demo out today
We’re extremely excited to confirm that Sea of Stars will be joining the PlayStation Plus Game Catalog catalog (available for all Extra and Premium members) on launch day, August 29. It’s incredible for us to imagine how many more players worldwide will experience Sea of Stars and join the conversation around our project.
After working on this game that is so dear to us for five years, we’re now only a few weeks away from release, and we’re happy to share this moment with the PlayStation community.

Try it for yourself: PlayStation demo now available​

You can get a taste of the Sea of Stars’ traversal system in the demo now available on both PS4 and PS5.
The demo features areas that will be part of the final game, but we made sure to pick a slice that did not reveal any major spoilers from the main story. It is designed to give a hint of context but mostly showcases some gameplay systems and mechanics around dungeon crawling and combat. It aims to provide a sense of the tone and vibe without giving away major points of the journey.
It’s not exactly the final product, but we feel this playable slice represents what we are shooting for. We hope you will enjoy it!

Why is traversal so important to the vision?​

Too often, we have fought epic monsters only to have then go out of our way to reach the next objective because a fallen tree was blocking the way. With Sea of Stars, we set out to move as far away from tile-based movement as possible to create something that would feel lighter and more seamless, while allowing for a more varied moveset, and in turn, offer more opportunities for players to interact with the environment during their adventures. We wanted exploration to be as fully fleshed out as combat.

The broad strokes of traversal were approached with the intention of sustaining a sense of tactileness to the surrounding environments, inviting players to touch everything they see and for the game to acknowledge their actions. The vision took the form of a promise we wanted players to hear while playing: “If it looks like you can grab on and hoist up, it’s because you can. And if the ledge is clear, feel free to jump off and see if there is a treasure down there–you can always climb back up afterward. Set aside any gameplay rules you have come to expect, look around and act on what seems to make sense physically, and the game will catch you.”
Now that’s certainly easier said than done, and we might as well simply demand catchy music, engaging combat, and a compelling story while we’re at it, but we still gave it our best shot.

A big part of keeping level layouts engaging is ensuring they contain a lot of micro-loops and interactions that allow us to play with the pacing, whether it is with movement speed, varied animations, or little modules that players have to decide how to traverse, often with more than one possibility, all linked seamlessly into the wide open areas that support the story we are telling.
Starting from the classic camera perspective, our characters move in eight different angles with movesets that include swimming, climbing, jumping off and hoisting up ledges, tightrope walking, and perhaps a future upgrade or two, which we won’t get into here for spoiler reasons. The MVP here is definitely hoisting since it allows for a lot more verticality in the gameplay than is usually seen in games of the genre.
In short, fleshing out the player’s moveset beyond walking in four angles and climbing in one angle gave us what we needed to break free from the classic bound-to-the-grid movement we wanted to modernize.

Traversal design: a concrete example​

As mentioned earlier, the use of traversal can support different intentions. In the following example, it’s used as a way to teach the players to swim, or rather, that it is part of the actions available to them in Sea of Stars. For our levels to rely on swimming moving forward, we must first ensure that the players have learned the action, and that they will know to look for bodies of water in the future.
Here’s how the player’s volition is leveraged in the game’s early stages to make sure they teach themselves swimming in an empowering way instead of reading a pop-up card. First, let’s look at an early design sketch that leads to the final version of the swimming tutorial section found in the final game.

Pictured below is the moment where the level’s design organically presents the swimming feature. After a short fight, the main path leads to a single way forward, leaving the player with only one option to progress: walk the plank.

To support players who are unaware that swimming is even a thing yet, a clear path is emphasized by the level’s art, pointing to an inviting call to adventure of jumping off a ledge into a pool of turquoise water which compels players to try a jump action and discover what happens.

All environments have been designed to be tactile and reinforce the players’ habit of reflexively experimenting with them to discover new things by themselves without the need for intrusive tutorials or UI indicators that would break the immersion.

This is just one example, of course. Traversal gameplay has been designed inch by inch to be presented as sequences that support progression and flow throughout the game.
Simply put, when players are not fighting or reading dialogue, they are exploring, or rather, traversing. Even though players are free to explore at their own pace, deliberate pockets like these are present everywhere, each serving different intentions, whether it is helping to assimilate narrative information, cooling down after intense combat, offering an optional moment of contemplation, or learning a new skill through an invisible tutorial.
Sea of Stars will be available on PS4 and PS5 on August 29. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

tmlDan

I hope they got a good payout from both companies, I feel like this would have sold well on it's own.

Either way, looking forward to it!

StereoVsn

Oh, nice, was going to buy it on Steam, but hey, I will play it on PS5. Hmm although would have been nice to have it in handheld mode, Switch or Deck/Ally.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Demo was fun, kickstarter campaign was handled very professionally as well.

I would have liked for them to announce that they were going to be on PS+ BEFORE the expiration of their fulfillment window for Kickstarter, I wouldn't have wasted my digital copy on PS version.

**UPDATE**
Contacted support and they changed my digital version very quickly.

Last edited:
Hopefully they got some kind of good payout for this otherwise it seems like it would sacrifice a lot of their potential sales.

Really excited for this game, love to the demo. I want the physical edition baddd.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Hopefully this sort of retro Chrono Trigger inspired joint will have better luck pulling me in than Chained Echoes, which I fell off soon after I got the garden variety JRPG airship

More devs should do this. Just means more money up front in a “no guarantees” world. But I guess not every dev likely gets the offer.

They’ll make all their ongoing revenue in sales from Switch and PC. The millions offered by Sony and Xbox for the subs is prolly just allowing them to turn a profit before the game even comes out.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
The millions offered by Sony and Xbox
Do you really think they get millions of dollars just by signing a deal with Sony or M$?

I guess I just assumed everyone knew how those agreements work...and esp. in this situation where neither platform is getting exclusivity they are (in most cases) looking at a very low sign on agreement amount and payments over time based on engagement with the platform's player base.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Holy shit - I'd have happily paid full price for this one. Can't wait. Rogue Legacy 2 last month too which I'm just now wrapping up.
Rogue Legacy 2 took over my life after Final Fantasy 16. I'm on the final boss, and I reckon I'll also be doing NG+ runs.

Very excited for this, The Messenger is one of my favorite indie games. Sabotage are a great Canadian developer. I backed on Kickstarter way back when so will be getting the Switch version anyways, I wanted to support the developer and this game.

Hopefully this sort of retro Chrono Trigger inspired joint will have better luck pulling me in than Chained Echoes, which I fell off soon after I got the garden variety JRPG airship

I REALLY wanted to love Chained Echoes, but it just wouldn't let me. They really nailed the visuals, and everything was solid mechanically, but it was just missing something, and I can't even really tell ya what that something is.

I ended up bouncing off it about halfway through. Went back a few months later and couldn't remember where the hell I was or what I was supposed to be doing and switched it off after 10 minutes.

An amazing effort from a basically one man dev team, but it just didn't hit the right notes for me.

Top Bottom