• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) PC performance thread

phant0m

So what's the verdict? 1070 good enough for 1080 60?

The lower price of PC games is making me buy a lot more.

Bruh my 1060 is enough for 1080p/60. It's a pretty good port.

Sidenote on pricing, console games are pretty cheap these days too if you are willing to buy physical and have GCU (20% off all new software).

nOoblet16

Stutter fix.
Ironically, it seems like it's the latest NVIDIA driver for Prey which seems to be causing the stuttering that I posted about yesterday.
Downgrading to 381.89 mostly eliminates the stuttering I had with the texture quality set to very high.
It still seems to show up a little in videos, but with G-Sync it's now completely smooth.

The game loads in seconds on PC if you have a fast SSD.

It's a shame that they stuck with SMAA T2x instead of implementing that awesome TAA solution that other Bethesda games have been using recently.
The Alias Isolation mod for Alien: Isolation really highlights the difference between a good TAA implementation (the mod) and SMAA T2x.

I'm running 3440x1440 maxed out at 75-100 FPS with a GTX 1070.

There was a time once when SMAA T2X was top of the line and very few games used it, and was the reason why Infamous Second Son looked so smooth. It's fascinating to see that it's already old and outdated now with the newer TSAA solutions.

Carlius

Banned
Pa version runs very smooth yes but come on, the game is not very good looking. It's fun though, I am enjoying it.

Trickster

The screen space reflection option completely fucks up the visuals of the game for. Anyone else have that problem?

drotahorror

I'm about 5 or 6 hours in and now my character walks in a zig-zag motion sometimes. It's very annoying and I honestly can't play it like this.

Dreadmoth

uuktrZD.jpg

In some of the maximum settings screenshots posted in this thread, anisotropic filtering doesn't seem to be applied on all textures / texture layers.

It might be interesting to compare in-game 16x AF with 16x AF forced through graphics drivers - maybe the game will look a bit less muddy.

Izuna

Banned
Bruh my 1060 is enough for 1080p/60. It's a pretty good port.

Sidenote on pricing, console games are pretty cheap these days too if you are willing to buy physical and have GCU (20% off all new software).

Physical is a sin for me, but otherwise that's really good to hear about the performance.

Glad to have a gaming pc/laptop

Tecnniqe

Banned
Add this
Code:
r_ChromaticAberration = 0
r_Sharpening = 0
r_HDRBloomRatio = 0
r_MotionBlur = 0
to your config and maybe thank me later if it works.

teokrazia

Does the "r_DrawNearFOV" command affect the weapon FOV? If you think about how most FPS games are done (with fake first person arms overlayed in a non-existing plane infront of the camera) you can have two FOVs. The FOV of the camera at the world, and the FOV of the first person assets.

Thanks for the hint.
Since console doesn't seem accesible, I've tried to put it in the .ini, two times, with different values, but it doesn't seem to affect weapon model in anyway.

I'm not sure how it works with CryEngine but suppose it did change with modifications, would I have to quit and reload the game once with stock and once with modifications or can I do it on the fly?

You will have to restart the application sadly since tehy probably locked out the consoel commands which allow config hotloading. :(

Voidwolf

GTX 970
FX-8350
8GB of RAM

Game runs at 65-79 FPS on Very High but also noticing that random stutter for a split second every now and then. Played last night for about an hour and that's the only issue I've encountered. So far.

GTX 970
FX-8350
8GB of RAM

Game runs at 65-79 FPS on Very High but also noticing that random stutter for a split second every now and then. Played last night for about an hour and that's the only issue I've encountered. So far.
Are you using that latest Nvidia drivers? Supposedly they're causing the stutter, and rolling back alleviates it.

1080ti
7700k @ 5 Ghz

Running at a pretty locked 60 fps @ 4k, with most options set to high

i noticed a bit more stuttering with everything maxed but could be the driver issue. will try rolling back later and see if that fixes it

Wow, 1080Ti almost doubling 980TI performance at 4K.

.... time to get a 1080TI I guess.

Did a little testing with the FOV option in the config file.
The maximum value is 120, and it's a true HFOV control - which is not ideal, since that means the height is cropped the wider you go.
I prefer a 74° VFOV in all games, which requires a 122° HFOV on a 24:10 display.

The viewmodel doesn't seem to scale with FOV at all, so the weapons are going to remain giant no matter what you set the FOV to - though the 24:10 aspect ratio helps a little.

Well this seems pretty horrible. Looks like increasing the FOV that much is going to introduce a lot of fisheye.

Game runs really well on my 2x7970/3570k rig, but I've been having one problem: the game always launches in borderless windowed, even though I have fullscreen enabled, which means my second card isn't being used unless I go into settings, change it to borderless, then change it back every time I launch the game. pls fix arkane

ltr

Neo Member
Ran around in the same area and measured the frame times between texture quality settings. GTX 970:

dJV7cIv.png

Clearly very high and high are too much for my card :(

Latest drivers, I'll try downgrading next.

Try out some CE defaults:
Code:
e_ShadowsMaxTexRes = 4096
e_ShadowsPoolSize = 8096
Unfortunately this seems to break the shadow cascade, causing weird flickering between shadow detail levels when you move towards and away from certain objects.
Wow, 1080Ti almost doubling 980TI performance at 4K.

.... time to get a 1080TI I guess.

Well this seems pretty horrible. Looks like increasing the FOV that much is going to introduce a lot of fisheye.
Actually it's not as bad as you would think. In most games I usually avoid raising the FOV up too much because I find the fish eye effect very distracting, but I've been playing Prey with hFoV set to 120 and it's been totally fine for me playing at a 21:9 aspect ratio. I'd say give it a shot

I'm basing it on the benchmarks from the previous page. A desktop 7700K at 4.8Ghz/DDR4 3000MHz/GTX 1080 just hits 60FPS average on 4K/Very High. From what I've read, and I may be wrong, laptop performance is generally behind desktops even with Pascal because of the slower CPU's and thermal and power limits.

CPU performance is unrelated to resolution. If I can push the game over 90 FPS using my mobile core i7, then he shouldn't be worried about a CPU bottleneck. The GTX 1080 in a laptop will actually perform within 5% of a desktop version.

Voidwolf

Are you using that latest Nvidia drivers? Supposedly they're causing the stutter, and rolling back alleviates it.

Yes, I upgraded my drivers last night a few hours before the game unlocked. Maybe I'll try it when I get a chance to play after work. Hopefully rolling back doesn't cause any other issues. Right now the stuttering isn't frequent and it doesn't bother me that much, I'd rather tolerate that than any other bugs.

Nabs

This game has amazing Steam Controller API support, you just need to enable it in game first before it does anything. If you're using a Dualshock 4, you can benefit from DS4 button prompts.

Game runs really well on my 2x7970/3570k rig, but I've been having one problem: the game always launches in borderless windowed, even though I have fullscreen enabled, which means my second card isn't being used unless I go into settings, change it to borderless, then change it back every time I launch the game. pls fix arkane
Is your C:\Users\<User>\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Prey\game.cfg file set to Read Only? That would explain why your fullscreen changes aren't sticking. If not, then I would recommend setting it to fullscreen and then changing that file to Read Only.

Is your C:\Users\<User>\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Prey\game.cfg file set to Read Only? That would explain why your fullscreen changes aren't sticking. If not, then I would recommend setting it to fullscreen and then changing that file to Read Only.

No, but I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

ltr

Neo Member

Downgraded to 381.89. Still stuttering, but maybe it's been alleviated some. Anyway, the spikes occur very frequently and are over 16.6 ms, so it doesn't feel very fluid. On medium the experience is very smooth.

GPU memory usage was the same on all settings, around 3.3 GB, which is somewhat strange.

Guess I'll have to do my play-through on medium from now on :(

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Anyone with a similar system, how is your performance? Thanks!

CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Xtreme VR GXiVR2600A Desktop Gaming PC (Intel i7-7700 3.6GHz, NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB 7200RPM HDD, Win 10 Home)

Still haven't tried to run Crysis on it yet.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Runs pretty great here maxed out at 6880x2880.

Code:
[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4155/33660897583_ce089e8290_o.png[/img]

Some more options in the menu would be nice however.

So performance is great HOWEVER the audio is pretty bad. Either its on my side or its a bug or the game has terrible sound mixing with its ambient sound. I took a vid to demonstrate the problem.

https://streamable.com/4ppxc

And its in every place with a room or a transition or something. It destroys any immersion I have with the game.

:(

GavinUK86

Ran around in the same area and measured the frame times between texture quality settings. GTX 970:

dJV7cIv.png

Clearly very high and high are too much for my card :(

Latest drivers, I'll try downgrading next.

If you have a frametime issue you need to use RTSS. I have a 970 and the game is flawless on Very High.

Stoze

If you have a frametime issue you need to use RTSS. I have a 970 and the game is flawless on Very High.
I'm getting it as well on 980ti, the stuttering is just really hard to notice if you aren't looking for it. Doesn't have to do with capping frames.
Stutter fix.
Ironically, it seems like it's the latest NVIDIA driver for Prey which seems to be causing the stuttering that I posted about yesterday.
Downgrading to 381.89 mostly eliminates the stuttering I had with the texture quality set to very high.
It still seems to show up a little in videos, but with G-Sync it's now completely smooth.
Does your VRAM usage go above 4.5 now on High/Very High?

Is it just me or is the crosshair off center? Like it's on the bottom 1/3 of the screen instead of in the middle.

Bugging the shit out of me lol. Other than that seems to run pretty well on a 6600K/1070 combo at 1440p.

Paragon

I'm getting it as well on 980ti, the stuttering is just really hard to notice if you aren't looking for it. Doesn't have to do with capping frames.
Does your VRAM usage go above 4.5 now on High/Very High?
It doesn't, but the stuttering is gone.

Stutter fix.

The game loads in seconds on PC if you have a fast SSD.

It's a shame that they stuck with SMAA T2x instead of implementing that awesome TAA solution that other Bethesda games have been using recently.
The Alias Isolation mod for Alien: Isolation really highlights the difference between a good TAA implementation (the mod) and SMAA T2x.

I'm running 3440x1440 maxed out at 75-100 FPS with a GTX 1070.

Had to use DDU and rollback to previous drivers as the latest drivers screwed all my games somehow. Did a test and was getting 68fps and low GPU usage in Witcher 3 as well as opposed to averaging 113fps.

Game was running much smoother than it was yesterday after the rollback.

Wait so I shouldn't install the latest Nvidia driver? The one that says "game-ready" for Prey? Good to know. Just downloaded it but I'll hold off on the install.

Wait so I shouldn't install the latest Nvidia driver? The one that says "game-ready" for Prey? Good to know. Just downloaded it but I'll hold off on the install.

I'd hold off personally. I was banging my head against a wall yesterday because all my games went to shit after the install. I ended up having to reinstall multiple versions of the drivers and even switched out video cards until I found a combo that worked.

Also did a W10 update during that and messed with tons of settings in the control panel and power options to get things back to normal.

Top Bottom