• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) PC performance thread

Elixist

count me in the aa complaints even downsampled there be jaggies yo

sidenote: diggin this it can be intense hehe

I thought someone said in this thread it's running on cryengine 3, but according to Wikipedia, it's cryengine 5.

Well, firstly they launched Cryengine 2 in 2011 (with the console Crysis ports), so I doubt they'd still be on version 3 six years later. Also they stopped numbering different versions of the engine, so I'm not sure it's still classed as such.

Not the best source

If you check the links at the bottom of the page it's normally fine.

Alexious

The performance is nice, but given the quality of the visuals it's about what you'd expect. It looks okay and all, but nothing more than that.

I think it looks more than okay, at least played on PC at 4K resolution and max settings. Of course, it's no Horizon.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I think that's just how the game looks.

This is why I'm wondering what the modding potential is here. Anybody know?
As if anything stops modding or?
I think it looks more than okay, at least played on PC at 4K resolution and max settings. Of course, it's no Horizon.
Well, without devolving off topic HZD got some ass textures here and there too when it's not beautiful greens everywhere hiding it :p

Well, without devolving off topic HZD got some ass textures here and there too when it's not beautiful greens everywhere hiding it :p

That and can things like better shadows/lighting in general and textures be added? Or is it pretty locked down? I'm obviously not a modder lol.

Also, your Horizon comment is an understatement lol. Literally the first thing I noticed about that game.

I think the textures could be improved here as well from what I've seen in screenshots. I at least hope we can get them to dishonored 2 levels. I thought the textures there where better. Maybe it's just the resolution of these? I don't know, something is off though.

Mechazawa

I'm not the only one who got these weird overlays, right?

OdybhrT.jpg

Guessing it's from playing at a higher res than 1080p.

Alexious

True, but it's also a much bigger game. Respective to the platform it runs on, it's certainly a greater achievement in graphics.

That and can things like better shadows/lighting in general and textures be added? Or is it pretty locked down? I'm obviously not a modder lol.

Also, your Horizon comment is an understatement lol. Literally the first thing I noticed about that game.

I think the textures could be improved here as well from what I've seen in screenshots. I at least hope we can get them to dishonored 2 levels. I thought the textures there where better. Maybe it's just the resolution of these? I don't know, something is off though.

maldo did some amazing texture work for Crysis 2 so theres a chance. How bad are the textures in Prey? I havent had the chance to play it yet.

maldo did some amazing texture work for Crysis 2 so theres a chance. How bad are the textures in Prey? I havent had the chance to play it yet.

I haven't played it yet. It might not even be the textures but the way light and shadows play on them. I don't know. It's just what I've seen in screens. I just know something looks off, especially with shadows, and I'm hoping it can be improved.

Before anyone thinks I'm being a snob, I'm playing through Nier Automata right now and to me that game looks way rougher than this. I'm having a blast with it. It's just that if I can get eye candy I want it lol. I mean, that's why I choose to play on PC. :)

ltr

Neo Member

Yep, got that at 1440p as well.

Edit: anyone else with a GTX 970 getting stuttering/frametime jumping? Running on 1080p Very High, framerate is fine otherwise.

Does anyone else notice stutter/hiccups while panning the camera quickly, or running down a corridor? It only happens with textures set to very high from what I could tell. My impressions so far are that this PC version is nowhere near as bad as Dishonored 2, but not at all as good as Doom either. The latter plays perfectly smooth 100% of the time.

1080ti @ 2,038Mhz + 382.05 drivers
7700K @ 4.5Ghz
32GB
SSD

EDIT: Rolling back to 381.89 eliminates the stutter.

Thank you.
GTX 1070, 6700, G-sync ON was stuttering with the current driver release. Rolled back as you suggested and now it's fine.

Droog

Anyone with lower end GPUs? I am curious to see if it'd be fine on the 960m despite the requirements, but short of looking to see how Homefront did there's really nothing to go off of.

I'm still reading through the thread so sorry if this has already been answered.

I'm playing on a GTX 960M 2GB @1080p and can hit 60fps most of the time at Medium settings. I've seen it drop to around 48fps when entering large areas for the first time but I doubt I would've noticed the dip without the counter!

I'll probably play with the settings tonight to see if I can get it to 60 consistently without needing to hit the Low setting!

CryEngine games are usually really gorgeous...this doesn't look like a CryEngine game

The engine alone is meaningless. It's the assets that make a game pretty or not.

Obviously lighting and shaders and such play a role, but that's still up to the devs and pretty lighting with ugly textures makes for an ugly game.

5820k @ 4.4ghz, 980Ti

2560x1440 gsync etc...

It naturally runs fantastically well. At 100+ fps all the time with everything maxed, no noticeable drops (the steam counter seems to vary by 10 or so but it's never one of those first world problem things you manage to notice, and no hitching or anything peculiar like DS3)...however...even with their SMAA TX1 or whatever the highest option is on, there's still noticeable shimmering/jaggies etc on edges. It is reduced overall, but it's a shame - although it has lessened as I've explored a bit more so it could be assets related to a certain area : /

Also got some super minor screen tearing very early on in the intro areas, and I haven't noticed it since, but it's still a bit weird. I know it's not all the same people within Arkane, nor is it the same engine, but it feels like a generally fantastic version of the game.

Although I wish we could turn CA off(?) ...

I get that. I think it's basically a vignette screen fitted to the default FOV, but when you change it the screen effect doesn't scale to the new fov, which leads to that. GTA V did the same thing with scopes, you could zoom in but the sniper scope screen only took like 75 percent of the screen while it was all visible areas around it.

whyman

I have a 1060 (6GB) and still this game stutters now and again if I put texturers above medium. It runs smooth 95% of the time but then the FPS will drop to 45 for a sec. Is this because of my weak CPU i5-6500 or only 8 GB of normal ram?

rtcn63

Not at that resolution it won't. I have a laptop CPU with the GTX 10 series and the game goes over 90 FPS at 1080p if I unlock the frame rate. It's up to his GPU to push the FPS at 4k resolution.

I'm basing it on the benchmarks from the previous page. A desktop 7700K at 4.8Ghz/DDR4 3000MHz/GTX 1080 just hits 60FPS average on 4K/Very High. From what I've read, and I may be wrong, laptop performance is generally behind desktops even with Pascal because of the slower CPU's and thermal and power limits.

ISee

I only own a potato with FX-6300, 12gb RAM and a GTX 770.
Would this run better on my computer than XBone?

According to the techpowerup benchmarks even a 1050 non ti with 2g of vram is able to push the game to 1080p/60. Based on this you should be fine. In the worst case scenario you might have to lock it to 30fps, but then it would still be an improvement over the 900p xbox one version. It is also a lot cheaper on PC if you buy it from cdkeys.com (I paid just 30€. Have the price of the console version).

Well, it's nice to see that the game runs well, but it's still unplayable for as I still haven't received the patch. I've rebooted twice, and restarted Steam countless times. This is why I wish we could still manually download patches.

Izuna

Banned
So what's the verdict? 1070 good enough for 1080 60?

The lower price of PC games is making me buy a lot more.

Tovarisc

How do muddy textures even still exist on PC with all that memory available?

Game uses 4GB of VRAM on V. High textures so there is a lot of textures there. Push amount and resolution more and cards like 970 shit the bed.

Edit: Like with a lot of games texture work is inconsistent, there everything from very good to mud and between.

noomi

Game runs smooth as butter, my only gripe is the AA option, it leaves a bit to be desired and some edges are very jaggy with the maximum setting.

I tried to use nvidia DSR to bring the game to 4K on a 1080p panel, but it did not really help the aliasing issues.... oddly enough. Plus it took my performance down a bit as well....

Oh well...

Also mentioned in the OT, but having to press e on the computer panels is crappy, let me use my left mouse click on the in-game computer panels as I would in real life.....

anddo0

Trying to decide between PC (1070) and PS4Pro.. Obviously the PC will have better graphics. But are the loading times better?

The PS4 has some pretty lengthy loading.

I managed to modify FoV via .ini:

http://i.imgur.com/ICX7f3A.jpg
[default: 85.whatever]

Vs.

http://i.imgur.com/gtMeDAs.jpg
[115.whatever]

Cool, but it doesn't affect weapon model, that is my main gripe. :/
Hopefully the official FoV slider will fix it.

Does the "r_DrawNearFOV" command affect the weapon FOV? If you think about how most FPS games are done (with fake first person arms overlayed in a non-existing plane infront of the camera) you can have two FOVs. The FOV of the camera at the world, and the FOV of the first person assets.

Tovarisc

Trying to decide between PC (1070) and PS4Pro.. Obviously the PC will have better graphics. But are the loading times better?

I have game on SSD and loading times are short. Definitely better than console versions.

nOoblet16

Is there any way to turn off the vignetting and colour saturation and flickering brightness that happens when you fight an enemy ? Is it tied to any particular graphical setting ? Cause if it is I'd rather just disable it completely even if it meant losing out on other post processing effects.

I tried Dictator's modified SMAA co fig for T2x and it still looks kind of crap. Image is quite soft and it still doesn't get rid of high frequency aliasing.

PC loading times will be considerably better due to much better CPU and HDD/SSD (unless your PC is ancient which I assume it isn't since you've got a 1070).

Also your PC will run it at 60fps+ and without the input lag that the PS4 version still seems to suffer from.

Tovarisc

Is there any way to turn off the vignetting and colour saturation and flickering brightness that happens when you fight an enemy ? Is it tied to any particular graphical setting ? Cause if it is I'd rather just disable it completely even if it meant losing out on other post processing effects.

Maybe tweaking
  • sys_spec_postprocessing = 4
  • sys_spec_gameeffects = 4
  • sys_spec_shading = 4
values in game.cfg would affect those effects? Lines are in same file and place as FoV adjustment.

I tried Dictator's modified SMAA co fig for T2x and it still looks kind of crap. Image is quite soft and it still doesn't get rid of high frequency aliasing.
damn. But it actually worked? Interesting. I assume you put those commands in the bespoken game.cfg everyone has been editing then?
Maybe tweaking
  • sys_spec_postprocessing = 4
  • sys_spec_gameeffects = 4
  • sys_spec_shading = 4
values in game.cfg would affect those effects? Lines are in same file and place as FoV adjustment.
You could also try setting:
Code:
r_HDRVignetting
r_ColorGrading
both to 0 to see if that gets rid of 'em

luulubuu

970 here
100 fps on high

very very weird framerate fluctuations, from 110 to 70 it's very distracting :/ any help?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

Plus double the frame rate on PC. It's a no brainer IMO.

nOoblet16

damn. But it actually worked? Interesting. I assume you put those commands in the bespoken game.cfg everyone has been editing then?
Well I did put those commands in a user.cfg and put the file in the directory where you have the binaries folder.

I never compared it to the original setting as I started the game, changes the settings, then quit and installed the cfg file there. So I don't actually know if it's doing anything more but the SMAA is certainly working, whether it's working according to the original setting or the user.cfg setting..I don't know. How can I check it if I want to though? By comparing the screenshots ?

Well I did put those commands in a user.cfg and put the file in the directory where you have the binaries folder.

I never compared it to the original setting as I started the game, changes the settings, then quit and installed the cfg file there. So I don't actually know if it's doing anything more but the SMAA is certainly working, whether it's working according to the original setting or the user.cfg setting..I don't know. How can I check it if I want to though? By comparing the screenshots ?

Yeah that would be awesome (presuming it actually works by setting up a user.cfg file). Other poeple were able to change the FOV by changing a game.cfg file (mentioned up in the thread), so perhaps if it is actually not working with a user.cfg... editing the game.cfg with those posted variables would do it.

phant0m

I played the demo on my PS4Pro, bought game on PC. Get it on PC. Load times are better, and gameplay in this is better served by m+kb.

Paragon

Stutter fix.
Ironically, it seems like it's the latest NVIDIA driver for Prey which seems to be causing the stuttering that I posted about yesterday.
Downgrading to 381.89 mostly eliminates the stuttering I had with the texture quality set to very high.
It still seems to show up a little in videos, but with G-Sync it's now completely smooth.

The game loads in seconds on PC if you have a fast SSD.

Game runs smooth as butter, my only gripe is the AA option, it leaves a bit to be desired and some edges are very jaggy with the maximum setting.
I tried to use nvidia DSR to bring the game to 4K on a 1080p panel, but it did not really help the aliasing issues.
It's a shame that they stuck with SMAA T2x instead of implementing that awesome TAA solution that other Bethesda games have been using recently.
The Alias Isolation mod for Alien: Isolation really highlights the difference between a good TAA implementation (the mod) and SMAA T2x.

So what's the verdict? 1070 good enough for 1080 60?
The lower price of PC games is making me buy a lot more.
I'm running 3440x1440 maxed out at 75-100 FPS with a GTX 1070.

nOoblet16

Yeah that would be awesome (presuming it actually works by setting up a user.cfg file). Other poeple were able to change the FOV by changing a game.cfg file (mentioned up in the thread), so perhaps if it is actually not working with a user.cfg... editing the game.cfg with those posted variables would do it.

I'm not sure how it works with CryEngine but suppose it did change with modifications, would I have to quit and reload the game once with stock and once with modifications or can I do it on the fly?

Top Bottom