• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Theonik

I have a Chromecast, that's really it. I use the native Netflix/Amazon apps on webOS.

Nothing wrong with that.
Nothing wrong with that. Until LG stops providing WebOS updates for your TV or Amazon stops supporting your set. The appeal of the STB approach is that your TV has a much longer life than the box that drives your content or your needs. Think of your future content consumption not the now.
What a horrible post.

Your options for 4K HDR and DV boxes are fairly limited. It's either a Roku or a Shield TV cause lol Chromecast. Ain't nobody got time for a second device to start content and using Wifi to stream in the year of our lord LUL

The part where you fucked up when using a dedicated box for this is the TV you bought sucks.
Sony's UHD BD player is quite good and supports apps as well as DV. It's the way to go. Until it''s not. Then you buy a new box. Cheaper than replacing a £5k TV.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Is anybody else having constant crashes of nearly every app in their Sony Android TV?

I can't even bring up the menu because of the endless "unfortunately, [random program] has stopped".

The TV has been lagging since the latest firmware.

I did a factory reset and now it's broken. Like completely...

Can't watch anything.

55 inch paperweight.

holygeesus

Banned
Yes obviously OLED will be the best at displaying a star field which is an edge case for FALDs, but he made it seem like active dimming always crushes blacks or erases details, which was his initial point until he backtracked.

Having a preference is one thing, but coming at people with attitude on theirs is another. And it isn't like Dot Dash was using Vivid mode or anything, lol.

The only person with an attitude about this is you and your buddy. My comment was entirely flippant, yet you, for some reason, seem to have taken it as a personal sleight, even though it wasn't even in reference to you.

As I say. TVs - serious business!

The only person with an attitude about this is you and your buddy. My comment was entirely flippant, yet you, for some reason, seem to have taken it as a personal sleight, even though it wasn't even in reference to you.

No attitude my end, more like amazement in regards to your argument which actually makes no sense, and you can't even back it up, which makes it abundantly clear you are bullshitting.

"I don't like local dimming and prefer it off and grey witb no contrast" lol

If I were you I'd just comment on OLED posts in the future, not doing yourself any favours.

holygeesus

Banned
No attitude my end, more like amazement in regards to your argument which actually makes no sense, and you can't even back it up, which makes it abundantly clear you are bullshitting.

"I don't like local dimming and prefer it off and grey witb no contrast" lol

If I were you I'd just comment on OLED posts in the future, not doing yourself any favours.

What do I have to back up? I prefer a regular LCD image to one with inaccurate dimming. Given my listed history of televisions, I would say I have enough encounters to form my own preferences at this point.

What do I have to back up? I prefer a regular LCD image to one with inaccurate dimming. Given my listed history of televisions, I would say I have enough encounters to form my own preferences at this point.

It's not inaccurate though, so once and for all, does your FALD at home have dimming off?

So the man who cannot bear innacuracies with local dimming, can bear a blue hue to the image, dim whites and above black posterization?

Is that to the directors intent?

Theonik

Don't bother talking to him about display accuracy. IIRC he's one of the people that adjust TVs to taste and haven't calibrated.

holygeesus

Banned
Don't bother talking to him about display accuracy. IIRC he's one of the people that adjust TVs to taste and haven't calibrated.

Wrong again. I have a paid for ISF certified calibration, but also use the bright room setting with my 'preferred' settings.

Anyone else?

Wrong again. I have a paid for ISF certified calibration, but also use the bright room setting with my 'preferred' settings.

Anyone else?

Stop ignoring the question, do you use the local dimming on your Hisense FALD?

You have no answers for any of it do you? You must feel a bit silly saying that my picture was crushed, and you prefer the grey blown out image inc LCD's in general when it's got a friggin black border all around the video......

Probably feel you've got to stick to that line now eh.

holygeesus

Banned
Stop ignoring the question, do you use the local dimming on your Hisense FALD?

You have no answers for any of it do you? You must feel a bit silly saying that my picture was crushed, and you prefer the grey blown out image inc LCD's in general when it's got a friggin black border all around the video......

Probably feel you've got to stick to that line now eh.

I answered your question pages back. I hardly use my Hisense as it's in our bedroom and the picture is shitty compared to the front-room TV and no I don't use local dimming.

Stop taking everything so personally. Just because I don't enjoy it doesn't mean you can't.

Why did this thread turn into "Console Wars" type of discussion? Really no need to be defensive about what TV you own. TV image is such a specific preference...

I answered your question pages back. I hardly use my Hisense as it's in our bedroom and the picture is shitty compared to the front-room TV and no I don't use local dimming.

Stop taking everything so personally. Just because I don't enjoy it doesn't mean you can't.

Not taking anything personally, you didn't say whether you used local dimming or not, why the hell you bought a FALD set I don't know, absolutely bizarre! Maybe you should experience a decent FALD set, just because you have a quite frankly poor Hisense does that mean all FALD's are like yours?

That's like saying because you own a GTX 580 video card, the 1080ti must perform the same! Very weird.

Get your facts straight before telling the person that took the picture that it's all wrong and it's crushed and base your whole argument on nothing.

Don't know how to break this to you, but it's impossible to get detail out of an black border, when it's an black border...........

Why did this thread turn into "Console Wars" type of discussion? Really no need to be defensive about what TV you own. TV image is such a specific preference...

Yeah I thought this would have died some pages ago...

Yeah well, when people base an argument on false and outright bullshit it's annoying.

Turns out he's just very inexperienced with said technologies and is basing it on time spent with a low end Hisense.

holygeesus

Banned
Not taking anything personally, you didn't say whether you used local dimming or not, why the hell you bought a FALD set I don't know, absolutely bizarre! Maybe you should experience a decent FALD set, just because you have a quite frankly poor Hisense does that mean all FALD's are like yours?

That's like saying because you own a GTX 580 video card, the 1080ti must perform the same! Very weird.

Get your facts straight before telling the person that took the picture that it's all wrong and it's crushed and base your whole argument on nothing.

Don't know how to break this to you, but it's impossible to get detail out of an black border, when it's an black border...........

Lack of detail in dark areas is a known side effect of local dimming. Either you take a very bad picture or your TV shows it. Again, it's not a sleight, just I cannot watch TVs that use it, as I find said loss of details, lagging response and blooming big no-nos.

Some good videos in this link showing said problems.

http://uk.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/local-dimming

Also the following review of the 902

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/tx58dx902b-201604174282.htm

In HDR mode, we found the local dimming algorithm on the TX58DX902B to be overly aggressive in certain low-APL scenes even with [Adaptive Backlight Control] set to ”Min”. For example, in a shot of the night sky during the opening sequence of The Martian”, we could see several patches of darkening against other zones that's brighter – mimicking a ”reverse clouding" effect. To be fair, we played the same footage on a Panasonic ZT (in SDR, sob sob) which showed that the scene indeed contained darker and brighter areas within the source, only that the plasma displayed it with smoother transitions instead of the jarring difference seen on the Viera DX9. Perhaps only a self-emitting display such as OLED can do this scene justice in HDR.

Again, all TVs have issues including my (apparently beloved) OLED which loses shadow detail too, although apparently the 2017 models fare a lot better. I'm currently dithering over an A1E, and if it is eventually bought, you will be glad to know that the Hisense will be going!

vpance

Well when your comments are just wrong yet you keep doubling down on them and now acting like you're the victim it's clear you're in your own reality.

Here's a line from the quote you pulled from the article:
"This was most apparent in starfield scenes: on the Sony 65Z9D, the stars looked dimmer (though still entirely visible)"

What detail is killed? Or do you want to redefine what killed means now? Just admit you were wrong with your initial critique and stop replying. Then again it is kind of amusing to see you back pedaling all over the place so please, continue for our enjoyment.

Lack of detail in dark areas is a known side effect of local dimming. Either you take a very bad picture or your TV shows it. Again, it's not a sleight, just I cannot watch TVs that use it, as I find said loss of details, lagging response and blooming big no-nos.

Some good videos in this link showing said problems.

http://uk.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/local-dimming

Also the following review of the 902

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/tx58dx902b-201604174282.htm

Again, all TVs have issues including my (apparently beloved) OLED which loses shadow detail too, although apparently the 2017 models fare a lot better. I'm currently dithering over an A1E, and if it is eventually bought, you will be glad to know that the Hisense will be going!

This all stems from your initial comments about the pictures I posted.

You said "I don't know how anyone can watch that"

Which is inflammatory because you have nothing to base the comment on! Like I said you can't pull detail from nothing, my point was to show how good the local dimming is, and it shows quite frankly, and there is absolutely nothing in that pic to suggest crush, you think there should be detail in the border that covers all of the video in the middle.

Now You feel you can't backtrack, you have no idea when set up properly how good a FALD can be in a pitch black room for SDR obviously.

But acting appalled saying how can anyone watch it and you would rather a blown out image devoid of any contrast is laughable and far beyond stupid.

You have no experience with a good FALD, so you really shouldn't comment on what you don't understand, and make out you're an authority on it.

vpance

No one is talking about preference or wars. We're just continuing to follow holy on his curious case of killed details where there are none to begin with.

holygeesus

Banned
Well when your comments are just wrong yet you keep doubling down on them and now acting like you're the victim it's clear you're in your own reality.

Here's a line from the quote you pulled from the article:
"This was most apparent in starfield scenes: on the Sony 65Z9D, the stars looked dimmer (though still entirely visible)"

What detail is killed? Or do you want to redefine what killed means now? Just admit you were wrong with your initial critique and stop replying. Then again it is kind of amusing to see you back pedaling all over the place so please, continue for our enjoyment.

No back pedalling here chap. As I said in my last post, read the HDTV Test review of the 902 in the HDR section, regarding lost detail due to local dimming.

Let's all agree that Samsung KS8000 is shit in comparison to our TVs! :)

I'm joking, but you guys are really arguing about very insignificant details. I'm one of those crazy people who refuses to use Warm setting for colors, I'm sure it has bigger impact than whatever you are arguing about and I'm OK with being wrong :)

EDIT: Also I think that fake HDR on LG looks great (wide gamut setting for SDR content). I don't care if something is more accurate if my eyes like it more.

Discuss!!!

No back pedalling here chap. As I said in my last post, read the HDTV Test review of the 902 in the HDR section, regarding lost detail due to local dimming.

For goodness sake man, why the hell are you clinging on to that?? When you slammed the pictures you had no idea what detail the pic was supposed to be showing!

You completely got it wrong, and now you are clinging to that quote!

Do you really think it would have scored 9.5 out of 10 if detail was missing in every scene?

Shit TV's must score 9.5/10 then.

Maybe Vincent preferred the local dimming off? Lmao.

vpance

I'm still shocked at how holy can watch films on his TV even with killed shadow details. But I guess we are all in the same boat :(

I'm still shocked at how holy can watch films on his TV even with killed shadow details. But I guess we are all in the same boat :(

Ha it just proves what a total crock of shit this is, I'm guessing he must turn black level (brightness) all the way up then! Must be great going round Holy's to watch a film "hey Holy, why is the picture all white?" Lol.

Weevilone

This is why I unsubbed the thread a while back. People need to be willing to let others have different opinions. Obviously you guys aren't going to agree.

This is why I unsubbed the thread a while back. People need to be willing to let others have different opinions. Obviously you guys aren't going to agree.

I completely agree, but it's based on an opinion which is incorrect, and he won't admit to it, so naturally is annoying.

He thought thr pic was crushing out the borders, when that's all they are, but he couldn't stop himself after that.

vpance

I completely agree, but it's based on an opinion which is incorrect, and he won't admit to it, so naturally is annoying.

He thought thr pic was crushing out the borders, when that's all they are, but he couldn't stop himself after that.

Correct. I'm going to stop replying to him, since it's clear he'll continue to pedal all over the place. He's giving level headed OLED owners a bad rep.

Correct. I'm going to stop replying to him, since it's clear he'll continue to pedal all over the place. He's giving level headed OLED owners a bad rep.

Yeah, tbh it seems like he's trolling, realising he can't go back on it, so he is carrying on.

We should stop feeding him for sure.

TheBoss1

Talking about FALD displays, this should please many...

Sony X940E TV REVIEW on RTINGS

The local dimming feature on the X940E works extremely well and looks about as good as the Sony Z9D when compared side-by-side. The X940E can display our moving highlight very bright while keeping the rest of the screen really dark and with limited blooming. The time reaction is also very fast and the turning on and off of the dimming zones is not really noticeable.

When the Local dimming is activated, the contrast ratio goes up to an outstanding 11634:1, which is one of the highest contrast ratios we have measured for an LED TV.

1080p @ 60Hz: 40.7 ms
1080p With Interpolation: 96.6 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode: 103.4 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4: 40.8 ms
4k @ 60Hz: 24.0 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4: 24.0 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR: 23.9 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + 8 bit HDR: 23.9 ms

holygeesus

Banned

I think I have been perfectly level-headed throughout. The passive-aggression has come from yourself and your partner if anything, which is pretty pathetic seeing as we are discussing televisions. I explained myself thoroughly, providing empirical references that confirm my opinion. Whether you like it or not, is up to you.

Theonik

Sucks they don't want to put the tech into smaller displays.
Good local dimming is inherently dependent on the display being thicker and works better on larger screens*. Sony wants a slim flagship for mainstream sales.

*multiple technical and market reasons why that is, Z9D's backlight gets around some of them with their LED = Zone approach and illumination design.
But really people don't want to spend a lot of money on small TVs.

Does the 49" X900E not count?
The X90E has an inferior backlight system to even the edge-lit X93E.

Theonik

Inferior is a strong word for a small amount of difference. Not to mention, the X930E does not use a traditional backlight system which is why reviewers found it impressive.
It's an evolution of the one found in the X93D. Edge-lit local dimming is not exactly new.
And direct local dimming isn't inherently better. The X90E is positioned where it is for a reason.

I feel it's an important point to press because some people are misguided in that sense. You see people think Visio sets are good just because hey are FALD or think the X90E is a better set than the X93E (it's got a much worse processing chip too actually)

TheBoss1

It's an evolution of the one found in the X93D. Edge-lit local dimming is not exactly new.
And direct local dimming isn't inherently better. The X90E is positioned where it is for a reason.

I feel it's an important point to press because some people are misguided in that sense. You see people think Visio sets are good just because hey are FALD or think the X90E is a better set than the X93E (it's got a much worse processing chip too actually)

I get what you're saying and I agree with you about the misguiding part but we know that if the same amount of effort is put into two sets with one of each lighting system, the full array will always be better. There's a reason the best local dimming sets are full array and it's not even close.

Theonik

I get what you're saying and I agree with you about the misguiding part but we know that if the same amount of effort is put into two sets with one of each lighting system, the full array will always be better. There's a reason the best local dimming sets are full array and it's not even close.
It's not a matter of effort. Each system has pros and cons.
You are comparing apples with oranges.

Top Bottom