• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Comey's opening statement for tomorrow's hearing posted online

Tovarisc

b7NDKfj.png

https://twitter.com/ElizLanders/status/872586486495031296

rFarJyP.png

https://twitter.com/Susan_Hennessey/status/872592473771708416

Bringing up the dossier unsolicited? Uh huh. And I didn't know Steele was testifying in front of the Senate tomorrow, lol.

Basically more confirmation that it's all true.

This whole meme of "Comey told Trump 3 times he wasn't under investigation" meme is whataboutism at its finest.

The President of the United States tried to obstruct justice. He did so maliciously (asking potential witnesses to leave) and then one-upped Richard Nixon by firing the FBI director; and then lied to the public and tried to cover up the whole thing.

Let's say this together...

It. doesn't. matter. if Trump colluded with Russia.

He's already done worse than Nixon.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I love the rock and hard place the WH admin have placed themselves in.

They need to attack Comeys credibility, yet at the same time the defence strategy they have chosen over the last few hours requires them to champion parts of Comey's testimony as completely credible.

"He's not credible, except in the instances where he's said things we find helpful, those are credible >.>"

It weakens any attack on his credibility whilst at the same time decimating their own, which let's face it, is already fractured beyond repair.

Wonderful!

I love the rock and hard place the WH admin have placed themselves in.

They need to attack the Comeys credibility, yet at the same time the defence strategy they have chosen over the last few hours requires them to champion parts of Comey's testimony as credible.

"He's not credible, except in the instances where he's said things we find helpful, those are credible >.>"

It weakens any attack on his credibility whilst at the same time decimating their own, already fractured beyond repair, credibility.

Wonderful!

They do the same shit with the media and it never occurred to them how stupid it is.

shiba5

Nothing to see here.

Senator Burr on Comey's prepared testimony for tomorrow's hearing: "I don't think from what I've read there's evidence of wrongdoing."

Comey is going to disapoint IMO, he has disapointed for the past year.

I don't have much faith in him to bring enough damning points to pin Trump on obstruction of justice.

Comey is going to dance around his words to make everything sound "lighter" than what it really is

Comey quite clearly didn't give up everything in that statement. There's likely something more he has left out.

He's not going to be completely forthcoming about everything in the open hearing tomorrow, either. There's a reason he discussed this with Mueller. Lots of stuff is going to remain classified.

theWB27

I don't have much faith in him to bring enough damning points to pin Trump on obstruction of justice.

Comey is going to dance around his words to make everything sound "lighter" than what it really is

He's only going to disappoint if you think he's about to further the investigation In public with bombs. This is about his meetings with trump.

What are yall doing.

sazzy

If all the Russia collusion allegations were false, all Donald had to do was to STFU, listen to his advisers, AND NOT TWEET to make it all go away.

Instead the little shit is drowning in crap he's dumped on himself.

cackhyena

This whole meme of "Comey told Trump 3 times he wasn't under investigation" meme is whataboutism at its finest.

The President of the United States tried to obstruct justice. He did so maliciously (asking potential witnesses to leave) and then one-upped Richard Nixon by firing the FBI director; and then lied to the public and tried to cover up the whole thing.

Let's say this together...

It. doesn't. matter. if Trump colluded with Russia.

He's already done worse than Nixon.
Not to this sorry bunch of fucks controlling the house and Senate. So it's not gonna really matter if it's not some serious shit. I'm just praying for miracles next year and in 2020.

It's still a misrepresentation. Comey didn't tell him he wasn't under any investigation, he told him he wasn't personally the focus of an ongoing counter intelligence investigation by the FBI. Comey is specific.

It started with Flynn and Manafort first, didn't it? At THAT time, that was the focus of the investigation. If, between then and now, lines were drawn and that eventually led to other "people" being tied to the investigation, they couldn't possibly know that back then. Since then, though, ground has been made and list of "persons of interest" has grown.

I don't even know why this is a talking point. So he may not have been personally the target at certain points in Feb/Mar. Big whoop?
Yeah, people gotta remember, we are in June, time passed and where the investigation was back then is definitely not where the investigation is NOW.

NYR

lol Tucker Carlson covered this for exactly 120 seconds.

Edit: now he is covering the left's coverage of this story, making fun of them for calling it watergate.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

We must not have watched the same hearings.

If all the Russia collusion allegations were false, all Donald had to do was to STFU, listen to his advisers, AND NOT TWEET to make it all go away.

Instead the little shit is drowning in crap he's dumped on himself.

If Trump took one, just one hard stance against Putin/Russia this would go away. But every single thing regarding Russia has to be handled in the most shady way possible.

Weston

traditional channel.He said he would do that and added, “Because I have been very loyal to you, very loyal; we had that thing you know.” I did not reply or ask him what he meant by “that thing.”

qYK6eRN.gif

"Am I under investigation?" isn't all that different from all the douchebags in those KNOW YOUR RIGHTS YouTube channels constantly shouting "AM I UNDER ARREST? AM I UNDER ARREST? AM I UNDER ARREST?"

And yet, nearly all those people were still in trouble regardless.

sazzy

I hope there are more surprises in the live testimony.

This is like reading the script of movie you're looking forward to see.

Important to mention the context of him asking those damning requests in a room that he dismissed his VP and Attorney General from. Plus the fact that he fired Comey soon after.

Yes but its not watergate like people keep parroting from media

I had understood the President to be requesting that we drop any investigation of Flynn in connection with false statements about his conversations with the Russian ambassador in December. I did not understand the President to be talking about the broader investigation into Russia or possible links to his campaign. I could be wrong, but I took him to be focusing on what had just happened with Flynn’s departure and the controversy around his account of his phone calls. Regardless, it was very concerning, given the FBI’s role as an independent investigative agency.

Yes but its not watergate like people keep parroting from media

How isn't it? It's still trying to get the FBI to drop its investigation into one of his senior staff appointments. Not to mention that Flynn is intimately tied with both the Trump administration and Russia.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
The part where Trump asks Comey to make the Flynn investigation go away

Hardly obstruction though. Comey himself had a hard time interpreting it. It was a professional remark that should never have happened but not illegal. If this is what Comey is going to testify with tomorrow then it's going to be 3.5 more years unless someone can provide some physical evidence of obstruction.

Pretty sure the President can pardon Flynn no matter what the outcome anyway.

Hardly obstruction though. Comey himself had a hard time interpreting it. It was a professional remark that should never have happened but not illegal. If this is what Comey is going to testify with tomorrow then it's going to be 3.5 more years unless someone can provide some physical evidence of obstruction.

Not if the impeachment process begins before Flynn is convicted. That is one of the few pardon exceptions, you can't pardon anyone associated with an on going impeachment process.

He then said the same to his DNI, CIA head and followed up by firing Comey to end the investigation. Comedy's testimony tomorrow will lay out the intent and timetable for Trump's obstruction.

Top Bottom