• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus trailer (PC/XB1/PS4, Oct 27th, idtech6), season pass

Game of the show for me so far. At this stage I think only Spider-Man has a chance of dethroning it, but we'll see.

So what's this about a season pass? Are they planning extra SP missions then?

Edit: as far as MP goes, I'd rather it not have any. Outsourcing it may lead to crappy MP, but in-house may lead to them diverting resources from the SP, which I dearly hope they don't do. Loved the story in the original (contrary to many people here, I know), and really want more of that.

KOHIPEET

I'd rather they took those arena style challenges from The Old Blood, and let us use this fantastic cast in a 4 player Nazi Horde mode.

Yup coop would be dope. (I hope for MP in general, but for me it would practically be enough to just have one map from RTCW, Beach. That alone would make me purchase this.)

Collectors Edition

225606_cedetail1000px.jpg

I hope this comes out for PC too - then again I don't have DVD ROM drive.

I hope this comes out for PC too - then again I don't have DVD ROM drive.

they're steam copies so you just take the cd key and activate it in steam for the digital copy anyways. dvds are just there to save you the download.

considering getting it, I normally don't fuck with collector's edition but that propaganda toy gimmick is really cool.

I am so happy for Machine Games, They have been making great, underappreciated shooters for a long time and it's great to see them get all this recognition and hype. I hope it sells millions and they all get raises!

I still remember playing singularity and being blown away how create it was

Edit: Oh I guess they didn't make singularity, point stands!

For some reason I can't access the official site (https://wolfenstein.bethesda.net/) - every time I enter any birthday, it just says "WE'RE SORRY BUT YOU MAY NOT ACCESS THIS SITE. PLEASE REVIEW OUR PRIVACY POLICY." Tried on multiple browsers.
I'm in Japan - some kind of region issue?

Edit: tried with a VPN and got in, definitely a region restriction. Wonder why they're blocking Japan, though.

SpaceWolf

Banned
That's Wyatt taking LSD at the end, right? Interesting that both Fergus and Wyatt are showing up, so they might still be doing the dual timeline.

Watching the trailer, I have a theory that the scene with Frau Engel menacing Fergus and Wyatt with an axe is going to turn out to be a dream sequence (while BJ is still under), where BJ relives the traumatic prologue of the first game where the player will get to pick which character lives and which character dies again, thus allowing them to keep continuity with their playthrough in The New Order.

image_wolfenstein_ii_the_new_colossus-35710-3889_0002.jpg

(Watch me be totally wrong on this).

sjay1994

I always feel like a crazy person whenever a Wolfenstein thread is made, because I feel like the only person of GAF who didn't like New Order and Old Blood.

I mean, I can't deny the story and characters are great. They are and its the best thing about these games.

But the shooting and combat mechanics felt fucking dreadful. Like I genuinely found playing both games felt like a slog and was a miserable experience. None of the combat encounters felt interesting. The locations in New Order felt drab (I know, Nazi Super Concrete aesthetic). Old blood had more interesting locations, but the combat design still felt mediocre.

They feel like games that don't know what they want to be. It's inclusion of a mediocre stealth system makes the game feel like some amalgomation of modern and classic design that feels at odds with itself. Even its health system makes no sense to me with the worthless overcharge mechanic

Honestly, the only reason I have not touched DOOM is because how much I disliked playing both of Machine Games Wolfensteins.

People have said it might be because I played both on console, but honestly I can't get excited for this game.

Will probably just watch the cutscenes on youtube or something.

dosh

Never played a Wolfenstein. I feel like I should.

The New Order is my favorite fps in a long time. The gameplay is great, but it's the story, characters and dialogues that really seal the deal, because they are fantastic. Which is not something I woudl have expected from a Wolfenstein game.

Cock of War

That's what I'm saying.
He doesn't need/have the suit in the green shirt guy/whisky scene, the suit we know from TNO helps you move around, because he had transplanted his head onto a new body as seen by the ring.

DCGvZeDXcAABctU.jpg:large

BJ's mech legs/body?

Just watched it and they knew they had something special, never seen a trailer so long that kept me wanting more.
Big fan of the new order and loving every second of this, super happy they habent gone more serious and have added even more levity and fun moments.

I dont really kmow how are they going to top stuff like going to the moon. An idea is visiting a theme park as disneyland or something, is quintaesential american and would be a super fun wow backdrop for a chapter.

They only thing that made me sad is that it seems canonically the boring character from the first game was the one saved. I liked MUCH more Fergus and the crazy woman at the base than the Wyatt and the Jimi Hemdrix parody
EDIT
Seems im fucking blind because Fergus was also there, nice dual timeline!

Between this and Anthem for most hype thing I've seen at E3 so far. The promise of Anthem is greater in my mind as a total game experience; the actual content on display for Wolfenstein in its trailer was more concrete and better. Sort of an abstract vs concrete battle in my mind so far.

idTech 6 delivering a good new graphics pipeline, gameplay still look fun and frantic, and the storytelling seemingly hasn't missed a beat since the last game... My goodness, MachineGames is great.

Jb

This was an awesome reveal.
TNO is still my favorite single player FPS of the gen, I have great faith in MachineGames and their ability to outdo themselves :)

Bring it on.

peakish

Amazing trailer. Can't wait to play it, think I overall enjoyed TNO more than the new Doom even.

I always feel like a crazy person whenever a Wolfenstein thread is made, because I feel like the only person of GAF who didn't like New Order and Old Blood.

I mean, I can't deny the story and characters are great. They are and its the best thing about these games.

But the shooting and combat mechanics felt fucking dreadful. Like I genuinely found playing both games felt like a slog and was a miserable experience. None of the combat encounters felt interesting. The locations in New Order felt drab (I know, Nazi Super Concrete aesthetic). Old blood had more interesting locations, but the combat design still felt mediocre.

They feel like games that don't know what they want to be. It's inclusion of a mediocre stealth system makes the game feel like some amalgomation of modern and classic design that feels at odds with itself. Even its health system makes no sense to me with the worthless overcharge mechanic

Honestly, the only reason I have not touched DOOM is because how much I disliked playing both of Machine Games Wolfensteins.

People have said it might be because I played both on console, but honestly I can't get excited for this game.

Will probably just watch the cutscenes on youtube or something.
I can cosign not liking some parts of it. Like you I think the game loses a bit of punch because its blend of stealth and run n gun isn't that smooth. Then there's the XP system which is at best ok when you ignore it but hides some powerful stuff behind challenges that aren't fun. It really feels like an addition that was made because modern games have to have unlocks instead of something that improves the game. I'd sack all of it tbh. Some of the later levels go too hard on making enemies just soak a lot of damage which doesn't make them difficult, just dragged out and with worse hit reactions.

But other than that, I like the combat a lot in TNO. Good weapon variety, the weapons themselves feel good, there's lots of options for engaging enemies your way including going in heavy instead of peeking behind cover. When the game is about the act of shooting itself I think it excels, especially in the first two thirds of the game.

Anyway, it's fair that you don't like it but I'd suggest that you don't let a sour impression of TNO stop you from playing Doom. They're different games, by different teams. Doom removes all the attempts at mixing the genre with clumsy stealth and the combat pace is faster. Not that it's flawless, even Doom cannot escape the forced unlock systems of modern games except now there's bloody four of them.

Yazuka

What a lovely birthday gift. :D
I usually don't like fps, but Wolfenstein The new order is so damn awesome!
I enjoyed The Old Blood too. So I'll definitely be getting this. Perhaps not at release, but I'll be getting it.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Last Wolfenstein I played was on the OG Xbox and I only played that for the multiplayer. This trailer though looks fantastic!

I don't really know what the fuck I just watched but it looked like something I MUST play.

If the other recent Wolfenstein games are this engaging and crazy I have to play them immediately.

Also is it just because I'm high or is the facial animation like really good?

Kinyou

Oh my god, that cookie scene.

Cutscenes seem to be amazing again

No. It will be released here and if you want swastikas you can import.
Last time the german version lacked english audio and removed references to specific nazi ideology, changing the whole theme of the game. Import is definitely the way to go

It's undoubtedly an expansion; there's no MP mode as per the Steam page.

That seems like a bad..oversight. As much ad I loved TWO, I loved it more because it cost me only $15. I don't think I would buy this on launch with SP only reply value, may be co-op. But it needs something besides the SP component.

Kadin

That trailer had just about everything I could ask for in it. Smacking the cookies into his face with his arm was hilarious. Never finished New Order, reinstalling now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's pretty awesome. I think it wouldn't be a problem to have a coop mode though.

Yeah, campaign co-op is all too rare. I'm glad Far Cry 5 has it as one of my mates recently developed quite the predilection for the series.

So as a German I'm screwed? ...

I assume you're talking about the PC version? You have a few options:

- Activate a ROW retail key with a VPN and wait three months for the runtime restriction to expire
- Activate a ROW retail key with a VPN and connect to said VPN whenever you wish to play the game
- Activate a ROW retail key with a VPN and switch to Offline Mode until you've finished the game (this will eliminate the need for a VPN as Steam will no longer detect an IP change)

What's EB Exclusive?

What it says on the tin: the CE is exclusive to EB Games (as far as Australia is concerned).

Top Bottom