• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrArchon

Obviously he's not as good as Griselbrand. Griselbrand was his own special kind of stupid. And yes, having to sacrifice a creature sucks, and no, I don't think he'll be some EDH all-star that crops up in every black deck. But I think he's at least around Rune-Scarred's level of usefulness.

I wouldn't hold his mana cost against him at least, considering how many cards there are to double the amount of B you make, plus all of the reanimation spells available.

Razaketh is a perfect mythic. High ceiling in a very limited amount of situations, so he at least has some use. That green mythic was just straight trash, though I still prefer that over pushed standard 4 of.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah he is not a constructed card which is disappointing but it's great for edh.

It's "great" for EDH in the sense there's a deck that can abuse it, but the deck that's doing it is fucking bullshit because repeatable tutoring doesn't usually lead to much other than locking people out of the game or instantly winning with bullshit.

red13th

I'm starting to get excited about Scarab Lord in my cube. Not a bomb but can do some fun stuff with the fat zombies/zombie generators like Grave Titan, AKH Liliana, Skinrender and Kalitas, and can also reanimate evoked Shriekmaws and Mulldrifters. A 5/5 for 5 mana that comes back to hand when killed isn't that shabby either.

It's "great" for EDH in the sense there's a deck that can abuse it, but the deck that's doing it is fucking bullshit because repeatable tutoring doesn't usually lead to much other than locking people out of the game or instantly winning with bullshit.

I mean, he's going to be a bit like Protean Hulk in EDH. Well, not nearly as good but basically the same idea in that if you're really trying to do well it should win the game on the spot and if you're just being weird and playing badly (I'm going to out and say it) then you get a Craw Wurm. The main difference is that you can build a hyper fast deck around Hulk whereas any combo deck with Razaketh will already need stuff like Entomb/Buried Alive and a bunch of reanimation and will have the demon as plan C or D or E.

It seems like most of the cards so far are like "wow, this is gonna be great in EDH!" :-/

EDH is generally a more forgiving format since it's 100-card singleton. Trying to create cards that are on-the-spot, no-questions-asked good for Standard/Modern without being absurdly busted is really, really hard.

Some of these cards probably will be good for Standard because they work with other cards to create a complete package, but cards that are just on-sight "good" Standard cards are... what, Fatal Push? Collected Company? They're pretty rare.

Santiako

Loving the versatility here, really solid:

UEHY3Wg.png

Nimble Obstructionist 2U

Creature — Bird Wizard (Rare)
Flash
Flying
Cycling 2U
When you cycle Nimble Obstructionist, counter target activated or triggered ability you don't control.
3/1
040/199

If you want to know whats good in standard on a glance ask Grimace to take a look.

At least thats the lesson I took from this thread over the last couple releases.

UEHY3Wg.png

Flash
Flying
Cycling 2U
When you cycle Nimble Obstructionist, counter target activated or triggered ability you don't control.
3/1
040/199
a 3 mana stifle that replaces itself and is difficult to counter sounds really fucking good. Nevermind that its also a 3/1 flyer.

I didn't expect them to make a cycling "split card" like that, where the two effects don't really link up, but I suppose there was the cycling lizard last set.

A big part of Stifle's power comes from cheating past bad effects from your own cards, and this can't do that, so the cost seems fine.

rexor0717

That one is getting played for sure, it's super versatile. I'll swap this for Serendib Efreet. I guess it makes it less resistant, but it's a fine trade off.

Hero

UEHY3Wg.png

Flash
Flying
Cycling 2U
3/1
040/199

I love how this thing has Flash, because reasons.

I do like how Wizards has been pushing Bird Wizards in recent years.

That effect isn't bad, it's Stifle+ Draw for 3 90% of the time attached to a 3/1 Flash Flier. Obviously I wish there was some connection between the creature and the cycle trigger, but it's fine.

The LRR Metaness of their spoiler for Hour was magnificent.

red13th

Yeah best case scenario is amazing, worst case isn't bad. Can be a decent Ambush Viper-ish kill spell too, 3 power and flash/flying.

hermit7

I'd never run him over Rune Scarred Demon, only in addition to.

1 more more and conditional is enough to make it significantly worse imo. In the ideal scenario he's much better but otherwise he possibly does nothing at all.

In a deck that gets value on either etb effects, or has a means of efficient recursion he is much better. The only place I see him as worse is in low creature count decks or something like Kaalia which doesn't really want a sac outlet.

For me in Chainer it is a strict upgrade. Always having a essentially free sac outlet makes it much better. Being able to sac the board in response to a wrath and getting 5 cards is so good. Rune scarred was always one of the best cards to search with buried alive/ entomb because I could recur him over and over and this with an added outlet to sac makes the deck much more resilient.

In a deck that gets value on either etb effects, or has a means of efficient recursion he is much better. The only place I see him as worse is in low creature count decks or something like Kaalia which doesn't really want a sac outlet.

For me in Chainer it is a strict upgrade. Always having a essentially free sac outlet makes it much better. Being able to sac the board in response to a wrath and getting 5 cards is so good. Rune scarred was always one of the best cards to search with buried alive/ entomb because I could recur him over and over and this with an added outlet to sac makes the deck much more resilient.
Sure the ceiling is much higher for Razoketh that much is undeniable. The consistency across different boardstates is what makes Rune Scarred better overall.

I'll be interested to see if The Locust God can work in standard. It'll definitely make waves in other formats, but I want to see if it works in standard. It's probably my favorite card of the set, and I'm thinking of making a deck based around it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Note to anyone asking about those cards I listed: I'm not ignoring you, but I am busy and haven't had time to look through my binder to make sure I have all of those cards (I went from memory) and to verify they are in NM (or as close to it as I am aware of) condition. I probably won't be able to actually do that until the weekend but I will be sure to follow up.

Angry Grimace

The blue bird is going to see play because UW Flash was playable was T1 before the Copter banning and it just adds more stuff to the deck.

DrArchon

I'll be interested to see if The Locust God can work in standard. It'll definitely make waves in other formats, but I want to see if it works in standard. It's probably my favorite card of the set, and I'm thinking of making a deck based around it.

I mean, I don't see how it'll see play. Maybe as a sideboard card? But even then, Sphinx of the Final Word is a better finisher for control.

He'll be fun in EDH, but constructed? I don't think any of the Gods were made with that in mind.

I just had an idea:

So far, 2/3rds of the "Last Stand" cycle give you the god to activate (Oketra is the only exception iirc, as Bontu/Rhonas trigger off of their invocation)

As such, I'm willing to bet we're getting some sort of TimeTwister-Esque effect(to get you up to 7 for Kefnet) and Fateful Showdown but with a delayed Draw for Red?

I mean, the odd one out Remains Oketra's last stand, unless there's some sort of synergy between "Gain life and have 3 other dudes" in the way that "Wrath and needs a dead dude/ 5/4 and needs a big guy"

Ashodin

I just had an idea:

So far, 2/3rds of the "Last Stand" cycle give you the god to activate (Oketra is the only exception iirc, as Bontu/Rhonas trigger off of their invocation)

As such, I'm willing to bet we're getting some sort of TimeTwister-Esque effect(to get you up to 7 for Kefnet) and Fateful Showdown but with a delayed Draw for Red?

I mean, the odd one out Remains Oketra's last stand, unless there's some sort of synergy between "Gain life and have 3 other dudes" in the way that "Wrath and needs a dead dude/ 5/4 and needs a big guy"

Maybe there were changes to either card before they went out that made them not match up. I'd wager this was the case.

which formats? At best he'll see play in standard and of course EDH.

It's a 6 drop.

I mean, I don't see how it'll see play. Maybe as a sideboard card? But even then, Sphinx of the Final Word is a better finisher for control.

He'll be fun in EDH, but constructed? I don't think any of the Gods were made with that in mind.

Yeahhh, I can't really argue against you folks. It's a six drop, and that already really hinders it in standard.

Most of my favorite cards are legendary creatures that aren't good in constructed. Last time I did decently with a legend-themed deck was with Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord when RTR first hit. I had so much fun with GB decks with him at the helm.

Ashodin

CommandThrower, don't let the comments discourage you. Play what you want. Our comments are focused toward "are we going to see this at top tier level play" and Standard usually. Modern and Legacy are faster formats so it's less forgiving.

Zocano

I don't mean to be discouraging about card viability but it is hard for me to read cards and not think "will this survive against top tier decks" because while I consider myself mostly a Johnny type player, I'd rather win more than one tenth of the time (using the throwaway % that they ascribe to Johnny satisfaction)

Also I totally misread Hour of Revelation when it was revealed. I thought it was counting cards in your graveyard and thought it was v strong because of it. rip Interest in that card.

Repgnar

Was messing around with a U/G Slither Blade deck for kitchen table magic with friends but now i'm wanting to try U/B with the Scarab God and Slither Blade. The +1/+1 token U/G deck I made was a lot of fun when it worked but I think a U/B version would probably be a little more consistent. The U/G was made for standard but since I haven't tried out modern yet I may go that route. Again, just for messing around with friends and tweaking it over time so not too worried about the competitiveness of it.

Maybe there were changes to either card before they went out that made them not match up. I'd wager this was the case.
I mean, complete hypothetical based on the current matches?

Oketra's Last Stand was going to be Timely Reinforcements, but they couldn't figure out what correct balance to give it where it was good in Standard without being backbreaking against Burn. Like, "2W, Gain 9 Life, make 3 1/1 Warriors Lands don't Untap" is a better timely against Burn.

It's not like Oketra could have had a Lifegain theme "IE can't be a non-brick unless You gained life this turn" without some funk.

(Basically, I want the full Spoilers already to try and understand what happened, because Oketra reads as "Play Tokens" and her expertise is "Gain Life". For all we know, they could have changed Oketra from Lifegain to Tokens, hence her ability being a strictly worse Heliod's.)

Supast4r

UEHY3Wg.png

Nimble Obstructionist 2U

Flash
Flying
Cycling 2U
3/1
040/199
My favorite card of the set thus far. Definite preorder.

You know, visually speaking, Bolas's horns and Avacyn's spear don't really have enough distinction that you can use them as magical laser weapons without it becoming unclear which it's supposed to be.

Lika Kiora before him, he needs time to simmer in the format. Be patient.

Also Infinite man Timely Reinforcements is an amazing card
Baan wants love, man, he wants love. I need my Grand Admiral Baan joke to be relevant

And yes, yes it is, which is why I'd say "Timely but balanced around being an effective 6 mana play is some straight up " Renoing at 1 Life against Burn Mage". It'd straight up kill Burn from the format.

In a "strictly multiplied sense", it'd be "Gain 12, make 6 1/1s" for (6) Mana, which is on par with Secure the Wastes without the added gain.

ironmang

In casual and Friday Night Magic play, games rarely consistently end early enough for a six drop like The Locust God to be unplayable.

It's a tough one especially now competing with blue gearhulk. You basically have to tap out for locust and pass hoping you're not so far behind that you'll be forced to chump and that it will survive for you to get some value out of it. Definitely don't have a problem with someone playing it but if they asked me what I thought of the card I'd say it's basically unplayable and will lose you more games than it wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom