• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
HWEuGv8_d.jpg

What an awesome card. Fantastic commander.

That's my jam right there.

Ashodin

Scarab God looks cool but don't think it's super constructed viable. Zombies is super aggro for the most part and he just seems very slow.

Jam him on turn 5, you're likely untapping with 4 or 5 zombies anyway so 5 life loss + scry 5 ain't nothing to sneeze at

All the bug gods have been pretty neat. For the Scarab God, I don't think the preferred route is zombie tribal, per say, but using him to repeatedly cheat out creatures with good abilities and ETB effects.

Supast4r

Jam him on turn 5, you're likely untapping with 4 or 5 zombies anyway so 5 life loss + scry 5 ain't nothing to sneeze at
If you are Untapping with that many zombies then you have already won the game against most decks. I generally think that this is just a sideboard card for Grindy matchups and nothing more than that since it's just a mana sink at the end of the day. It has MUCH more usage in edh

Ashodin

If you are Untapping with that many zombies then you have already won the game against most decks. I generally think that this is just a sideboard card for Grindy matchups and nothing more than that since it's just a mana sink at the end of the day. It has MUCH more usage in edh

I don't doubt it's more of an EDH card. I just wouldn't underestimate all that text in Standard.

You untap with this on turn 6, you can grasp an Avacyn, then reanimate it.

Supast4r

I don't doubt it's more of an EDH card. I just wouldn't underestimate all that text in Standard.

You untap with this on turn 6, you can grasp an Avacyn, then reanimate it.
Again if you are doing that you are winning anyways. This is a winmore situation. The scorpion god also just does that himself anyhow.

Zocano

Yah, the first clause will only really help you some times, but like Sig said, it will most likely just be useful for being a reanimator on a stick.

Problem is that is still a huge manasink so it just seems too slow for anything but limited or EDH.

Santiako

Mechanically they feel way more GB(Scorpion) and BW(Scarab) -but only because zombies are bw in this plane, any other plane UB is fine.

I'm so totally building a control/mill deck around Mr. Scarabs. Countering/Killing everything and then milling your opponent and snatching whatever lands in their yard is exactly the kind of jank I live for.

Zocano

I mean, I think he's a really cool design and would love to slap him in the cube I'm building, but I think he's just not quite fast enough for standard right now. Maybe with Ixalan we'll see more mid-range decks pop up
I don't even play standard right now so I dunno why I am annoyed by it.

What's current standard builds for U/G right now? Simic colors are always represented by me (played Sultai, then Temur, then U/G Emerge, then Temur Energy).

Ashodin

djeru-der-gelauterte1_4sqr.png

Djeru the Purified - 3WW (R)

Legendary creature - Human Warrior - 4/3

Vigilance

When ~ enters the battlefield you may search your library for a Planeswalker card, reveal it and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library afterwards.

If a source would deal damage to a Planeswalker you control, prevent 1 of that damage.

Cute that he searches out Samut. Also her +2 was made for him.

Can also see they're seeding Naya colors before Ixalan (Sun Empire is Naya)

m4st4

Noob question: Will Chandra and Jace get their plainswaker cards in HoD (not pw decks since that's Bolas and Nissa but actual solo cards like Liliana and Gideon)?

Card Boy

Banned
HWEuGv8_d.jpg

What an awesome card. Fantastic commander.

The Scarab God

3UB

Mythic Rare

Legendary Creature – God

At the beginning of your upkeep, each opponent loses X life and you scry X, where X is the number of Zombies you control.

2UB: Exile target creature card from a graveyard. Create a token that’s a copy of it, except it’s a 4/4 black Zombie.

When The Scarab God dies, return it to its owner’s hand at the beginning of the next end step.

5/5

Good alternative to Gisa ans Geralf.

Crocodile

OzCrMRf.png

from Masters of Modern (I guess we are doing a reverse of the cycles from last set for a total of 20 Aftermath cards)

636336921217599226.jpeg

636336957407281483.jpeg

stewardofsolidarity.jpg

vizierofthetrue.jpg

636337098227762537.jpg

from Chinglish.tv

A Naya "cycle" of uncommon exert creatures and then two more "if any creature exerts" cards

KA7eiR8.jpg

from MTG:YoungMage

Tunoku

I'm digging these past couple of previews.

The UB God seems really annoying, albeit a little clunky and slow. It's super threatening if it sticks around though.

EDIT: Just realized it can bring back a creature from ANY graveyard. Wowzers, this thing is super pushed. You don't even have to play Zombies for it do a ton of work. Bringing back any kind of Gearhulk is pretty nuts.

The BR Aftermatch card is solid given the mana cost, but I'm mostly into that exerting mana creature. Going from 2 to 5 hasn't really been a thing for a while in Standard, right?

Tunoku

Yeah but that dude was around during Marvel/Cat/Marvel and the God can come back after eating a Harnessed Lightning or Disintegration.

EDIT: BTW, that split card seems crazy good in Grixis Shadow. Buy it back via Snapcaster, or just go from an empty board to a hasty Death's Shadow in no time.

DrArchon

Yo, Scarab God is a monster. I like it way more as a commander than Gissa/Geralf and Grimgrin. Just fucks over all of those pillow fort players that won't let your zombie hoard get in for any damage. Plus you can run him in a mill deck like a jankier Lazav if you want.

All of the Grixix gods are fantastic for EDH honestly. Much more exciting to build around than any of the Amonkhet gods, and not just because they have more colors. I doubt they'll see much constructed play, but who knows.

bigkrev

Can't post image on Mobile

Steward of Solidarity 1W
Creature- Human Warrior U
T, Exert: create a 1/1 token with Vigilance
2/2

Possibly the simplest combo card with Intruder Alarm ever?

OnPoint

Seth just said in a video that he's tried to get Intruder Alarm to work in the past. I wonder if this is what finally does it.

Ozigizo

Can't post image on Mobile

Steward of Solidarity 1W
Creature- Human Warrior U
T, Exert: create a 1/1 token with Vigilance
2/2

Possibly the simplest combo card with Intruder Alarm ever?

stewardofsolidarity.jpg

Seth just said in a video that he's tried to get Intruder Alarm to work in the past. I wonder if this is what finally does it.

Maybe. The previous combo with Imperious Perfect required a Mana dork, so this is an improvement.

You need something that creates tokens with haste before you "break" it. There are already all sorts of ways to make infinite tokens in Modern using just two cards (for example, Midnight Guard + Presence of Gond), and while this is cheaper than any existing option, you need more than what this can give you if you want to Frankenstein your way back into Splinter Twin.

OnPoint

You need something that creates tokens with haste before you "break" it. There are already all sorts of ways to make infinite tokens in Modern using just two cards (for example, Midnight Guard + Presence of Gond), and while this is cheaper than any existing option, you need more than what this can give you if you want to Frankenstein your way back into Splinter Twin.

Oh I am plenty aware of the Guard/Gond combo :( Many failed attempts there for me

You could always just play Soul's Attendant turn 1 and have infinite life. Of course you're hoping to fade any and all removal.

Supast4r

OzCrMRf.png

from Masters of Modern (I guess we are doing a reverse of the cycles from last set for a total of 20 Aftermath cards)

636336921217599226.jpeg

636336957407281483.jpeg

stewardofsolidarity.jpg

vizierofthetrue.jpg

636337098227762537.jpg

from Chinglish.tv

A Naya "cycle" of uncommon exert creatures and then two more "if any creature exerts" cards

KA7eiR8.jpg

from MTG:YoungMage
I'm extremely happy about claim/fame. Both sides work really well with Jace VP, Young Pyromancer, Snapcaster, and Pack Rat. I can't wait to brew with this.

Supast4r

Yeah but that dude was around during Marvel/Cat/Marvel and the God can come back after eating a Harnessed Lightning or Disintegration.

EDIT: BTW, that split card seems crazy good in Grixis Shadow. Buy it back via Snapcaster, or just go from an empty board to a hasty Death's Shadow in no time.

Sounds worse than k-command in shadow

Son1x

Oh I am plenty aware of the Guard/Gond combo :( Many failed attempts there for me

You could always just play Soul's Attendant turn 1 and have infinite life. Of course you're hoping to fade any and all removal.
Different color but Elemental Mastery works better with Midnight Guard. Unless you're making a pauper combo deck.

By my count Amonkhet hits:

• Mummies
  • Ancient prophecy
  • Pyramids
  • The flooding of the Nile
  • The "Cradle of Civilization"
  • Animal-headed gods
  • Ancient curses
  • Flesh-eating scarabs
  • Powerful magical charms
  • Hieroglyphics
  • Sphinxes (both living and statue)
  • Snakes, jackals, and cats
  • Deadly deserts
  • Camels
  • Tombs and the afterlife
  • Heart-eating crocodiles
  • The two Egyptian sovereigns anyone's ever heard of, Cleopatra and King Tut

That's seriously like everything outside the Biblical references (which Hour of Devastation seems to have in hand.)

While I still feel it misses a few things, I'm not going to defend my comment since I was in a pretty bad mood at the time and was vastly more negative than I had any right to be given the reality of what is actually in the block.

Looks like the story doesn't end with everyone dead, going off Hope Tender. Loving the flavor of the new Exert cards.

Well, there's no obvious reason why Bolas would care about the plane one way or another once he got what he wanted. Granted, as has been discussed previously, it's also not 100% clear the reasoning behind causing all this chaos in the first place instead of just taking his army and leaving.

Santiako

Tons of new cards! The limited format seems it's going to still be really aggresive, those are all very good cheap agro creatures with utility.

Claim // Fame might be annoying if it starts seeing play in Death's Shadow. The Aftermath cards seem so much better this time around.

I'm not convinced Claim // Fame is going to be amazing or anything but it at least is of note in that Claim is the only Modern legal 1 CMC reanimation effect.

y2dvd

All the new gods are an EDH hit. All those exert creatures seems like it has potential combos. These previews have been pretty win.

While I still feel it misses a few things, I'm not going to defend my comment since I was in a pretty bad mood at the time and was vastly more negative than I had any right to be given the reality of what is actually in the block.

Well, there's no obvious reason why Bolas would care about the plane one way or another once he got what he wanted. Granted, as has been discussed previously, it's also not 100% clear the reasoning behind causing all this chaos in the first place instead of just taking his army and leaving.

I really don't get why Bolas is devastating the plane. He has basically a factory for his undead army... why destroy it?

Maybe he's trying to suppress the Lazotep source now that he's gotten what he needs?

Or he's just taking the new toys for a test run.

The first bit makes sense but seems shortsighted.

The second makes destroying the place make even less sense. :p

Like, he had a system set up to provide him with an infinite army of undead... and he's destroying it... for... reasons?

Supast4r

I'm not convinced Claim // Fame is going to be amazing or anything but it at least is of note in that Claim is the only Modern legal 1 CMC reanimation effect.

I only love it for the jank builds that I get to do in modern. In terms of spikes, it won't see play in shadow imho

The first bit makes sense but seems shortsighted.

The second makes destroying the place make even less sense. :p

Like, he had a system set up to provide him with an infinite army of undead... and he's destroying it... for... reasons?
Well, they had that whole prophecy set up, so clearly he's on some sort of timetable. So it's not infinite zombies. We just haven't seen why he needs to take his army and move on, I guess.

bigkrev

Rhonas Last Stand GG
Sorcery
Put a 5/4 Snake token into play, lands don't Untappd next turn

That's a big creature for a 2 mana Echo spell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom