• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zocano

I mean, I am 100% selling out of Modern if someone's looking to buy stuff, although I'm really only looking for money and not trades. Given that I'm likely to just buylist them, I'm willing to sell them to GAFfers for a good price (although probably not straight up buylist prices since I could just do that locally) otherwise.

Yah I'd be more than glad to also take a look.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
One thing that jumps out at me is that Nissa's Encouragement says "a card named Forest" instead of "a basic forest". This feels like an odd choice to me since this seems like a good place to teach new players about basic land subtypes (and also it's technically different since it can't fetch a Snow-Covered Forest but that's neither here nor there). Best as I can tell, this is the first card to ever actually name a basic rather than a basic subtype.

This seems worded specifically to avoid being able to fetch the duals with basic land types.

Yeef

This seems worded specifically to avoid being able to fetch the duals with basic land types.
I don't think so. They've had plenty of cards that just say "a basic [land]" in the past, like Nissa's Pilgrimage. I think it's just for consistency within the text of ability. "Search for a card named X, a card named Y and a card named Z" is easier to parse than "Search for a basic Forest, a card named X and a card named Y."

Nah. Saying "basic forest" means you can only get basic lands with the Forest subtype, which currently means either a Forest or a Snow-Covered Forest. Grimace is probably right in that it's written this way to match with the rest of the text finding specific cards even if it ends up being odd to an established player. Also because the last time they printed a basic forest besides Forest was in Coldsnap.

OnPoint

I mean, I am 100% selling out of Modern if someone's looking to buy stuff, although I'm really only looking for money and not trades. Given that I'm likely to just buylist them, I'm willing to sell them to GAFfers for a good price (although probably not straight up buylist prices since I could just do that locally) otherwise.

You gonna put a list up?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
MAGIC STORY: HOUR OF GLORY

By the art, I assume Scorpio either kills Rhonas (who wins the prize for most pointless god ever) or gives him a massage.

en_9LbKfiUIeo.png
What the fuck is up with the art in this set?

Perhaps his hold on the five left active is weak enough that he didn't want to risk them turning on him. Perhaps the defeat of the five gods the population is familiar with serves some purpose in his plan. I mean, I assume there's some story justification for it tossed in there somewhere that we will be informed of.

Although I suppose they could also pull the "Bolas 125D chess" card and not explain it at all on the grounds that it's part of some master plan we might be partially informed about in 5-10 years. i.e. We wanted to nuke everything so we made some crap up and we don't need to have a explanation for it besides a Bolas hand wave.

Lol we all know it's going to be the latter.

jph139

Those Nissa cards make me think she'll stay on Amonkhet for a while reviving the plane.

That'd be kind of a dick move on her part, since her homeworld was completely wrecked by Eldrazi that she released, but she left to go fuck around with Jace and Pals instead.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Nah. Saying "basic forest" means you can only get basic lands with the Forest subtype, which currently means either a Forest or a Snow-Covered Forest. Grimace is probably right in that it's written this way to match with the rest of the text finding specific cards even if it ends up being odd to an established player. Also because the last time they printed a basic forest besides Forest was in Coldsnap.

My bad. For whatever reason, I thought you wrote "a forest," rather than "a basic forest."

I'd be interested in a look. I have positive feedback in the BST thread. So sell with confidence!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You gonna put a list up?

I mean, the list is basically "everything." I don't have it in front of me though.

I can tell you that its at the least:

6 Liliana of the Veil (3x MM17, 3x INN)
5 Tarmogoyf (1x MM17, 4x MM15)
4 Scalding Tarn
5 Verdant Catacombs (4 ZEN, 1 MM17)
1 Foil Verdant Catacombs (MM17)
5 Arid Mesa (3 MM17, 2 ZEN)
1 Foil Arid Mesa (MM17)
4 Misty Rainforest (MM17)
5 Marsh Flats (4 ZEN, 1 MM17)
4 Noble Hierarch (MM15)
4 Snapcaster Mage (INN)
8 Thoughtseize (THS)
2 Death's Shadow (MM17)
3 Cavern of Souls (MM17)
3 Fulminator Mage (MM15)
4 Blood Moon (3 The Dark, 1 MM17)
3 Liliana, the Last Hope (EMN)
8 Polluted Delta
9 Windswept Heath
8 Flooded Strand
6 Wooded Foothills
6 Bloodstained Mire
3 Kolaghan's Command
4 Collected Company
2 Kitchen Finks
1 Surgical Extraction
1 Maelstrom Pulse
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
A lot of Path to Exile, including 4 foil Rebecca Guay versions
4 Bitterblossom (MOR)
4 Cryptic Command (MM15)
1 Vendilion Clique (MM15)
6 Eldrazi Temple
1 Engineered Explosides (5DN)
3 Auriok Champion (5DN - I think one of these is Chinese)
4 Chord of Calling (RAV)
2 Damnation (MM17)
I have an Ensnaring Bridge Invention but I have no idea where it is. Probably some box that needs to be cleaned out.
4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
Probably like 2 of most Shocklands from RTR other than a random set of 2 Guildpact Stomping Grounds. I have a lot of other single cards I'm forgetting though.

I'd be mostly fine with moving any number of them for good prices. No idea on condition, but most of them are NM, although I suppose some of them are probably LP, but I'd have to check on any specific set of cards.

red13th

dude in maro's blog said:
whats-an-urza asked: "The people who love calling it a 'World of Hats' are doing the same disservice as the people calling Jace a 'Mary Sue'." Just because you casually dismiss it doesn't make you right, it just means you're in denial. Would randomly smashing two worlds together make them great? Of course not, nice straw man. Would Innistrad work as a secluded part of larger world? Yes, until you introduced cosmic horrors. And Jace IS a Mary Sue. Maybe not the most egregious example, but he's still a contender.

Maro said:
One, how am I being a straw man? What *do* Ice Age and Mirage have to do with one another? Them being on the same world is no different than us saying Kaladesh and Amonkhet are on the same world.

They weren't designed to go together. They were designed as if they were two different worlds by two different external design teams that were working in isolation.

It is *exactly* like us taking two worlds that weren't designed to go together and then just saying they were on the same world. That's what happened.

Two, a Mary Sue is defined, on Wikipedia, as

”an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character. Often this character is recognized as an author insert or wish-fulfillment."

Jace is a person obsessed with information missing the knowledge of his own past. He's horrible in a physical fight. He reluctantly became the Living Guildpact, a role he neither wants nor is good at.

He has one very awkward relationship with Liliana. He constantly bickers with Gideon who both believe they're leading the Gatewatch. He's a neurotic mess in almost every aspect of his life.

He lost the fight he had on Zendikar with Ob Nixilis. He lost the fight he had on Innistrad with Nahiri/Avacyn. He lost the fight he had on Amonkhet with Bolas.

How in the world is he a Mary Sue?

So if you believe that Dominaria is somehow not a hodgepodge or Jace is a Mary Sue, I would love to argue over the facts.

Your turn.

Angry Maro sighted! :D :D :D

People clinging on to Jace being posterchild of whatever's wrong about Magic when he barely shows up or does anything relevant lately is kind of silly.
And honestly I wouldn't mind having Kaladesh and Amonkhet in the same world (it would be pretty cool actually IMO, I like patchwork implausible game worlds - aetherpunk mummies! omg), I guess I'm kind of missing a point.

OnPoint

I'd be mostly fine with moving any number of them for good prices. No idea on condition, but most of them are NM, although I suppose some of them are probably LP, but I'd have to check on any specific set of cards.

Which buylist should I be trying to beat? Interested in the Guay Paths, Eldrazi Temples and the Chords.

Supast4r

Yeah, the Hour Story is straight up Exodus(pop culture) right now. We've got "River of Blood" and "Duel of gods with staff turning into snake".

I'm fully expecting for the following outcomes wrt The Gatewatch post this set:

Gideon: pressumed Dead, last thing we see of him is a Last Stand Against Bolas trying to save the gods.

Jace: Mind gets completely fried, reopening his memory of Vryn while everything after is fucked up

Liliana: Planeswalks away to Dominaria in fear

Chandra: Planeswalks back to Kaladesh/Shandalar, beaten and bloody before a figure of Authority.

Nissa: Remains on Amonkhet trying to save the gods/plane using the Leylines.

Like, I think they're ideally aiming for more of a "breaking of the fellowship" then a "Avengers Disassembled" narrative.
I feel like Jace will believe that he belongs in Ixalian which is why he is in that set.

Bandini

The only things I can think of that I need right now:
1 Cryptic Command
1 Celestial Colonnade
2 Lightning Helix

I guess I could use 3 Goblin Guides and 3 Eidolons to upgrade my budget burn deck too.

Send me a PM if you have any of that and we can work something out.

Edit: oh yeah, could use a V. Clique as well.

Supast4r

Pm me I'm interested

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I was worried they might nerf bolas, especially since the way they have wrote the gatewatch the last several sets makes them seem laughably weak.

But then I read the first story from hour of devastation and was happy to see he is just as ridiculously badass as ever. Him tearing through the gods like toilet paper with just a glance was awesome.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Possibly an early story beat that was excised.

MaRo's response also includes the detail that the setting of Mirage wasn't originally the same setting as the previous sets. Did we know that?
I mean I think it's just that Maro isn't part of the story team and was mistaken.

I was worried they might nerf bolas, especially since the way they have wrote the gatewatch the last several sets makes them seem laughably weak.

But then I read the first story from hour of devastation and was happy to see he is just as ridiculously badass as ever. Him tearing through the gods like toilet paper with just a glance was awesome.

That story is set pre-mending though. While he'll certainly defeat the Gatewatch, I wouldn't count on him doing anything more than ruffling their feathers.

So the Hour cycle has to make up all five Story Spotlights.

Hour of Promise (green?)
Hour of Eternity (blue?)
Hour of Devastation (red)

I hope Hour of Eternity is taking the name as literally as possible. "The current turn can't end."

Santiako

So the Hour cycle has to make up all five Story Spotlights.

Hour of Promise (green?)
Hour of Eternity (blue?)
Hour of Devastation (red)

I hope Hour of Eternity is taking the name as literally as possible. "The current turn can't end."

Hour of Devastation has to be some kind of Obliterate effect.

EDIT: Nevermind, forgot that Hour of Revelation was basically that (nonland) :p

siddx

That story is set pre-mending though. While he'll certainly defeat the Gatewatch, I wouldn't count on him doing anything more than ruffling their feathers.

I don't think that is correct. He specifically says he is setting up a plan to gain his godhood back, as in regain his premending abilities. It also says 60 years ago which would put it right after the mending occured so he likely attacked amonkhet in response to the mending. Unless I didn't read something that specifically says it took place before hand.

siddx

isn't the mending a couple hundred years back?

Apparently it's about 60 years before kaladesh block. I'm pretty sure the timing and the way that story was written indicates all of bolas fuckery on amonkhet is in direct response to the mending and his attempt to regain godhood.

I don't think that is correct. He specifically says he is setting up a plan to gain his godhood back, as in regain his premending abilities. It also says 60 years ago which would put it right after the mending occured so he likely attacked amonkhet in response to the mending. Unless I didn't read something that specifically says it took place before hand.

You're right, it's post but he's in the process of losing his oldwalker powers, he's way stronger there.

EDIT: I think it says this directly in that story.

The flashback with Bolas takes place after the Mending, but his Oldwalker powers are fading away instead of completely disappearing at once. He constantly says in the narration that he doesn't have much time left.

Apparently it's about 60 years before kaladesh block. I'm pretty sure the timing and the way that story was written indicates all of bolas fuckery on amonkhet is in direct response to the mending and his attempt to regain godhood.
you're right. The gatewatch is essentially the 2nd or so generation of nuwalkers.

I expected the timejump to be much more substantial between time spiral and lorwyn. But then again Planeswalkers were supposed to be introduced in Future Sight.

Ashodin

Jace: Mind gets completely fried, reopening his memory of Vryn while everything after is fucked up

This would be fucking awesome as hell

Especially if Jace's entire demeanor and personality is different.

Then we get future stories where both Jace's personalities fight each other in a true Blue mage conundrum.

Shit would be epic

Like Ichigo and Hollow Ichigo.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm playing ramp in cube

my opponent is playing storm

I put Ulamog the Infinite Gyre in the deck

Opponent casts Brain Freeze

AU7Amsc.gif

Angry Grimace

ayyyyyyyyyyyyy yo lemme see DAT ULAMOG RESHUFFLE BREH

I brought in Emrakul out of the board for the next games because I wanted to play Ulamog and then have him try to go off and get sad again. I mean, I have Through the Breach also, so I can "cast" it anyways. This is a deck that wants Tooth and Nail pretty badly though. I did not see it, just Natural Order. But I have Craterhoof for when that happens.

siddx

You're right, it's post but he's in the process of losing his oldwalker powers, he's way stronger there.

EDIT: I think it says this directly in that story.

Ah that makes sense, it was fun reading about fuckeveryonesdayupwithathought bolas, makes me hope he succeeds.

Toxi

Banned
The fact they intentionally blew up Egypt World is kind of dumb, though, since it's probably the most resonant setting they have next to Innistrad and Theros. I figure they have to have a plan for it post-HOU for that reason alone.
If there's one thing I've learned from Wizards of the Coast, it's that every time you make a new setting you should change it or destroy it so that you have to come up with a contrived reason to bring the original version back in the return set.

This would be fucking awesome as hell

Especially if Jace's entire demeanor and personality is different.

Then we get future stories where both Jace's personalities fight each other in a true Blue mage conundrum.

Shit would be epic

Like Ichigo and Hollow Ichigo.

I ain't even dogging you right now, I just want you to know it's been like ten years since I heard someone say "epic" and make a Bleach reference in the same thought.

I feel young again, like I could squander unlimited youth playing card games!

Ashodin

Tomorrow's LEGENDRULE (none for last week because E3 and announcement week destroyed me)

82.jpg
->
aPAFXRN.png

I really like this design. It's a blazing volley that keeps costing you every turn.

@Imperfected ten years ago was when Bleach was epic tho!

traveler

Not Wario
Hmm.... wondering if it makes more sense to rework him to use dash. Could be that dashing him every time you cast him- what it is now- is more flavorful and the nuance isn't needed.

Ashodin

You could use dash (and I thought of it) but I wanted to keep from mixing mechanics from different planes until they've been used there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom