• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

I mean, you'd clearly have to be gullible to the max to take a card which has the art of a previous card, using phyrexian mana, and infect to think it's an Hour of Devastation card.

But sure.

Santiako

That kind of custom card is fine. It would be annoying if someone was posting mockups of their guess for the last god or the hours or something like that.

OnPoint

Every damn time.

The same damn argument.

It doesn't matter if it's Ashodin.

It doesn't matter if it's clearly fake.

Not.

During.

Spoiler season.

giphy.gif

Ashodin

Clearly we're just killing time waiting for more spoilers

OnPoint I don't care, if it's not being presented as real, and it's not being presented in the middle of actual spoilers going out (ie during the beginning of the day) then I don't see the problem.

Familien is right, it's toxic. I can't discuss anything else in the thread regarding cards unless it's actual spoilers? When I'm trying to clearly not even remotely hide the fact that it's fake?

smh.

OnPoint

OnPoint I don't care, if it's not being presented as real, and it's not being presented in the middle of actual spoilers going out (ie during the beginning of the day) then I don't see the problem.

I don't care if you don't care.

The mod that posts in this thread said don't post fake cards during spoiler seasons. Many times.

It doesn't matter if you're presenting them as fake.

You just don't do it.

You are wrong.

Period.

Ashodin

I still think if there's a delineated difference and a lull in posts and/or discussion, it's fair game.

As stated before, I'll just delete the whole post if I have to, but I think it's ridiculous to be so stringent.

And OnPoint you don't have to be so invested to make posts like this, come on man. It's like you're trying to personally attack me.

Supast4r

I feel like Reason//live is going to be a sleeper hit. Many decks would just play a mystical speculation without the buyback because srcy 3 is a good turn 1 play. I think this will see play because reason is playable without the aftermath side.

OnPoint

I still think if there's a delineated difference and a lull in posts and/or discussion, it's fair game.

As stated before, I'll just delete the whole post if I have to, but I think it's ridiculous to be so stringent.

And OnPoint you don't have to be so invested to make posts like this, come on man. It's like you're trying to personally attack me.

It annoys me that we have one time every couple of months where you're not supposed to make fake cards and you ALWAYS do it. You do it pretty much every spoiler season.

Look, I like making fake cards too. I don't mean to come off as attacking you. I just think when a mod says something, and repeatedly, you should probably listen. And you consistently don't.

Of course Charlequin could come in and relax the rule. Then it'd be fine. I just don't think it's a very hard rule to follow.

Violet_0

Banned
unless you plan on playing an innovative deck or are really into the competitive scene, I don't see the appeal of constructed anyway. Not much fun pouring lots of cash into a deck that everyone else plays, with minor personal adjustments at best. Once in a blue moon I consider trying out standard again and then quickly discard the idea and go back to drafting. EDH is slightly more interesting, but let's be honest it's mostly just the same old piles of tried and true good stuff-cards every time

they better hit a homerun with Next and keep it F2P

Ashodin

I enjoy standard because I like updating one pet deck over time with the new format adjustments. I gain a LOT of sideboard hate with those two cards (Crook and Solemnity) added in HOU.

nothing screams egyptian sphinx like a flying goat

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/criosphinx

http://historyandmyths.tumblr.com/post/34161330992/worldofmythology-the-criosphinx-by-vyrilien

Like the Serpopard, this is a creature lifted directly from real Egyptian folklore so it's kind of funny that people complain about it in the same conversations where people say they should include more legit folklore sources.

You're right, he's not responsible for everything going on in the set. But he is, or at least he acts, like he's the vocal face of the company. Are we to believe he's just hyping up the setting and the mechanics? Perhaps it's irresponsible of him to hype up a set without knowing exactly what's in it.

I guess my position on this is that it's ultimately pretty ridiculous to get upset about Rosewater -- who is easily one of the most honest and forthcoming game designers for a major property there is -- hyping shit up. He avoids making any false claims, either hyping just by saying that he thinks something his team made is good (which is pretty much what you expect people to do with the things they make) or mentioning specific facts that other people can get hyped about. He's not misleading anyone and he's not doing hyper-aggressive marketing, I don't think it's the end of the world if he's excited about a set that gets a lukewarm reception.

Good lord, I go to sleep and everyone forgets the difference between design and balance. Kaladesh is the best designed set they've had since at least Khans. Maro is right to be proud of it. However it was terribly balanced with the environment, which is not remotely Maro's fault or responsibility.

One way you can tell that this is largely a development problem (the same type of thing that was true of Scars of Mirrodin, actually) is that it has an above-average limited format by many standards and is full of big casual hits, but completely miserable for Standard.

I don't think design did succeed. I agree that a lot of Kaledesh's problems are from development, but let's not forget that vehicles have definitely been a miss for most people.

kirblar just isn't representative on this. Vehicles were reasonably popular, mostly well-received, and are going to wind up in an equipment-esque spot in terms of being casually popular for years to come even as their power level gets dialed down. (I'll note that over the history of the game, stuff that's overpowered and ruins Standard environments is almost universally remembered positively by people once it's not directly impacting a live competitive format.)

And has been talking up how the HOU design lead spent some of his childhood in Egypt despite there not being anything truly Egyptian about the set so far.

This is still a weird claim to me. This set hits pop-culture Egypt tropes much harder than Theros hits Greek ones. Almost every single major story beat of the Mummy (1997) is in there, for example. (I guess maybe there isn't specifically a giant sandstorm with a face.)

This is why they went hyper-conservative on Kaladesh, because it's not clear how much of this you can fuck around w/ w/o pissing people off.

Yes, though I think with retrospect we can say pretty clearly that they actually fucked it up in the opposite direction -- people were mad about the wasted potential and surface-level cultural trappings -- and should've hit the theme harder.

This is still a weird claim to me. This set hits pop-culture Egypt tropes much harder than Theros hits Greek ones. Almost every single major story beat of the Mummy (1997) is in there, for example. (I guess maybe there isn't specifically a giant sandstorm with a face.)

Well, that's the thing. It hits the tropes related to dusty, dead Egypt and now from the Bible but not a ton from a living Egypt. It only hits a few Egyptian mythological tropes and given everything else I'm not even sure if it's intentional or not (like Bolas coming in and placing himself at the head of the pantheon).

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/criosphinx

http://historyandmyths.tumblr.com/post/34161330992/worldofmythology-the-criosphinx-by-vyrilien

Like the Serpopard, this is a creature lifted directly from real Egyptian folklore so it's kind of funny that people complain about it in the same conversations where people say they should include more legit folklore sources.
Alright you got me, Ram headed sphinx are legit.

I knew it reminded me of something though
and this card is from Theros

Ashodin

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";241488660]Haven't played magic in a while so I loaded up my old buddy cockatrice.

sdfsdfd2u7y.png

Binding Mummy is a pretty good draft card. Cradle is so sick with it.[/QUOTE]

Every time I got hit with it at GP Richmond it was brutal. Cradle is the nuts when you're in the zombie deck.

Zocano

Man I wish my LGS did draft. It's kinda weird since it's super popular (like 50 entrants for modern and standard and ~30 for sealed every friday) but no draft ):

Daedardus

It's a really thoughtful article, yes. Don't want to delve too deep in it, but want to say the following as an electromechanical and power engineer.

Automation is usually applied to tasks that human don't really like to do anyway, that they aren't very good at or that are too dangerous to be performed by a human. Most people assume that robots (or software for that matter) are brought in solely to reduce costs, but that is hardly true. Yes, I won't deny that automation has a goal of trying to reduce costs, but mostly it's used as a tool to meet certain performance requirements. And as a consumer, that is actually a good thing. It allows our factories to be more productive, more safe and less polluting and the product itself be of higher quality. Take the paint of your car for example. A human can do the paint job, but a robot can do it much faster, wasting less paint, applying it perfectly equal while it doesn't inhale harmful substances.

But many people rightfully fear that their job is on the line and will be replaced soon. That may very well happen, but you need to remember than human workforce has one very big advantage over robots: flexibility. Humans have very flexible degrees of freedom for movements, and are very easy to train to do a whole range of tasks, all while powered by a very efficient power source. Robots are very good at doing a specific complex task, but really suck at trying to do widely different simple ones (what is complex for a human is simple for a robot and vice versa). Car factories don't want to fully automate because robots break down too, cost a lot to be repaired and aren't easily retro-fitted to do another task. Maybe there will be one day where robots repair robots, but I'd fear more for a robot uprising than for my job the day that happens.

I still believe that as long as people are good at their job that they like to do, that job will continue to exist. Yes, nobody will be mining coal with a pickaxe and shovel, but did people really like to do that job outside the pay? But will future Magic sets be made just by RoboRosewater? I doubt it. People like Mark Rosewater still like to design and develop the cards. Letting it do by a robot doesn't have any benefits, a robot won't make better designed cards or more creative sets than a human can do. So as long people still want to make Magic cards, they will continue making them.

In short, will many shitty jobs disappear? Most likely, yes. That's where stuff like a UBI could come in to alleviate things. But is automation all doom and gloom? I don't really think so.

Yeah I really don't want to be a dick about the custom card thing but it's really just easier if we have a specific rule.

If there's one thing I've learned from Wizards of the Coast, it's that every time you make a new setting you should change it or destroy it so that you have to come up with a contrived reason to bring the original version back in the return set.

So my basic hope is that with the new 3/1 paradigm they'll a) not have to invent questionable reasons for every plane to blow up when we first visit it, b) have more room to do the same world different ways when we do spend two sets there, and c) when they do blow up a world, have a good idea of how that can be part of a twist for the second visit. (Like, Tarkir 2 will be about the clans coming back, which is a pretty obvious way to revisit wedges without actually undoing the plot points they ended the block on.)

MaRo's response also includes the detail that the setting of Mirage wasn't originally the same setting as the previous sets. Did we know that?

Yes, after Alpha came out, Arabian Nights, Legends, Ice Age, and Mirage (along with a set that eventually became the basis for Invasion) all started parallel design under separate teams who were using only the original core set as a basis for design. Ice Age was specifically designed to be a continuation of the Terisiare setting of Antiquities, but the setting for Mirage was tacked on by the "Continuity" team after it was already done and assigned to a region on the giant Dominaria map they'd designed.

Well, that's the thing. It hits the tropes related to dusty, dead Egypt and now from the Bible but not a ton from a living Egypt. It only hits a few Egyptian mythological tropes

By my count Amonkhet hits:

• Mummies
  • Ancient prophecy
  • Pyramids
  • The flooding of the Nile
  • The "Cradle of Civilization"
  • Animal-headed gods
  • Ancient curses
  • Flesh-eating scarabs
  • Powerful magical charms
  • Hieroglyphics
  • Sphinxes (both living and statue)
  • Snakes, jackals, and cats
  • Deadly deserts
  • Camels
  • Tombs and the afterlife
  • Heart-eating crocodiles
  • The two Egyptian sovereigns anyone's ever heard of, Cleopatra and King Tut

That's seriously like everything outside the Biblical references (which Hour of Devastation seems to have in hand.)

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hope y'all got your Decree of Silences. They appear to be gone most places

Holy shit I missed this on the last page. That's absolutely disgusting, lol.

I know it's not an auto-win until you get both pieces out (and even then, there's a few options w/ stuff on the battlefield or can't be countered stuff), but encountering that thing in an EDH deck is going to be worse than Iona.....and then you'll never be able to play that deck in a multiplayer game again, lol.

Santiako

HWEuGv8_d.jpg

What an awesome card. Fantastic commander.

The Scarab God

3UB

Mythic Rare

Legendary Creature – God

At the beginning of your upkeep, each opponent loses X life and you scry X, where X is the number of Zombies you control.

2UB: Exile target creature card from a graveyard. Create a token that’s a copy of it, except it’s a 4/4 black Zombie.

When The Scarab God dies, return it to its owner’s hand at the beginning of the next end step.

5/5

traveler

Not Wario
Yeah, I think Amonkhet succeeded in hitting the major tropes where Kaladesh failed. I don't see the two the same at all.

Where I do think they both failed is the size/one city complain that was leveraged against Kaladesh. It's a bit more forgiveable with Amonkhet since the world being reduced to one city is actually a plot point and there's room for growth beyond the Hekma, but the planes of today still feel incredibly cramped.

Edit: Whoa, Scarab God is awesome. Can eternalize anything? The Grixis gods have been hits across the board.

Zocano

Scarab God looks cool but don't think it's super constructed viable. Zombies is super aggro for the most part and he just seems very slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom