• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony requires you to delete/re-download the complete game if you go from Phys-->Dig?

This can't be right, can it? I owned R&C PS4 on physical disk. This past weekend I took advantage of the GameStop promo to trade it in for $14...then re-bought it on PSN during the sale for $7.99.

I try to start the game, and it asks me to insert the disk. I re-sync my licenses, but it still wants me to insert the disk.

Really? I need to delete, then re-download ~30GB of the exact same data again?

Hardvlade

Unfortunately yes, it sucks but if you buy physical, you need to re-download digital and if you buy digital and decide to use a physical copy, you need to reinstall it.

:(

Had it happen to me with the Overwatch trial, downloaded it, bought a physical copy. Had to reinstall.

VRMN

Yeah, that was actually jarring to me coming to PS4 after having an Xbox One since launch. The digital and physical versions are different files, or at least aren't recognized by the OS as the same, where on Xbox those licenses are interchangable.

newbong95

also the opposite is true ... i tried downloading titanfall 2 trial version , then i tried to play through the physical disc ... sony made me download the updates again for the physical version.

Yep. I bought Phantasy Star Online 2 physical, thinking I'd save tons of space on my HDD, but nope. Not only did I have to download the entire 50+GB game, I also need the disc in to play unless I want to delete it and redownload everything again. I like having one of my favorite games physically, but PSO2 physical is basically worthless. The in-game goodies it came with weren't that good.

sense

Just be happy the saves don't get affected lol. Obviously they could build an option to download a small patch to transfer over from physical to digital but Sony got more important features to worry about anyways.

Yeah, I found this out a few months ago when I went from a physical game to digital. Sucks, but oh well, what does one do? Just download it.

fernoca

Yeah, it always sucked.
With Xbox One is just one file, but PS4 is two different ones. So you have to delete then download.

Yep. I bought Phantasy Star Online 2 physical, thinking I'd save tons of space on my HDD, but nope. Not only did I have to download the entire 50+GB game, I also need the disc in to play unless I want to delete it and redownload everything again. I like having one of my favorite games physically, but PSO2 physical is basically worthless. The in-game goodies it came with weren't that good.
Every physical XBO and PS4 is installed though, so you don't save space with any game.

FZW

This can't be right, can it? I owned R&C PS4 on physical disk. This past weekend I took advantage of the GameStop promo to trade it in for $14...then re-bought it on PSN during the sale for $7.99.

I try to start the game, and it asks me to insert the disk. I re-sync my licenses, but it still wants me to insert the disk.

Really? I need to delete, then re-download ~30GB of the exact same data again?

Yup... its one of those weird quirks with the PS4 that I will never understand. Props to MS for not requiring us to re-download

Shin

Banned
Yeah, that was actually jarring to me coming to PS4 after having an Xbox One since launch. The digital and physical versions are different files, or at least aren't recognized by the OS as the same, where on Xbox those licenses are interchangable.

How weird, not a big deal per say but still strange that the files don't match.

You downloaded the contents off the disk and the system is still looking for that disc to authenticate the content. I would imagine the physical and digital files are different and can't be swapped. I had the same situation recently when I sold off my Uncharted 4 disc and bought it off PSN for $20.

bryanee

Just be happy the saves don't get affected lol. Obviously they could build an option to download a small patch to transfer over from physical to digital but Sony got more important features to worry about anyways.

I dont know if its changed but The Witcher 3 physical saves dont work with the digital in pal land. I was going nuts trying to get it work but nope turns out it doesnt or didnt at the time at least.

norm9

For those that have done this on xbox, let me see if I understand this correctly.

If you buy a physical copy of a game, it'll download the game data from the disc onto the hard drive. If you THEN buy the digital version, it won't need to download the file from the store because it already has the data from the disc and THEN you won't need the disc at all?

If this is true, it'll help with my data limits.

I dont know if its changed but The Witcher 3 physical saves dont work with the digital in pal land. I was going nuts trying to get it work but nope turns out it doesnt or didnt at the time at least.

Was it a "Complete Edition" trying to load a normal edition savegame?

Because they aren't compatible

For those that have done this on xbox, let me see if I understand this correctly.

If you buy a physical copy of a game, it'll download the game data from the disc onto the hard drive. If you THEN buy the digital version, it won't need to download the file from the store because it already has the data from the disc and THEN you won't need the disc at all?

Yep.

EmiPrime

Yes. I have a physical copy of Sunset Overdrive that I have installed and because I have the digital license via Games With Gold I don't need to have the disc inserted to play it.

norm9

Yes. I have a physical copy of Sunset Overdrive that I have installed and because I have the digital license via Games With Gold I don't need to have the disc inserted to play it.

Great. This is going to be really helpful going forward in avoiding my cap.

eta- now I can try to redbox a game for cheap and then purchase the license on the store, bypassing the long downloads. Doom here I come.

Rayderism

I found out the hard way that if you delete a physical game install, make damn sure you don't have the disk for that game in the drive. I made that mistake with the only physical game I have for PS4 after buying the digital version.....Flatout 4. Boy did it really piss off the PS4.....locked up on deleting the file...well, said deleting forever.....had to force a shutdown and then it needed a rebuild database to get the system going again. Yank the disk and THEN delete, and then I could download and install the digital version.

And as you know, any games you have installed to an external drive all get kicked out of their folders to the main menu when you rebuild the database, forcing you to re-sort them back into the folders. Freaking annoying! I have about 2.5TB of games installed on the external.

What's so hard about them just changing the license file for the physical install to a digital one? Are the installs really that different? DRM maybe?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This thread is a reminder that MS was on the right track with some of the orig XBO policies.

Sounds like for all purposes, if there's a game on Xbox live for sale you could track down a used copy from Gamestop, install the contents to the disc, return the disc within 7 days, then purchase the license off Xbox live and it would apply itself to the existing game files. Pretty handy for those supersized 50gb + games....

Novocaine

Yup, they are separate unfortunately. Xbox One works like you want though.

It does although when I bought a digital copy of MCC it created a second icon. They both ran without the disc and I don't think it was taking up any more space but when I tried to delete on they both disappeared. Boy that was a bummer.

This thread is a reminder that MS was on the right track with some of the orig XBO policies.

If it didn't seem like they were trying to brute-force in certain restrictions, they probably could have gotten away with it. What Xbox One has evolved into with game pass, play anywhere console/PC integration and BC would have been MUCH better received than the initial reveal.

Yep, it's exactly that. Digital download and game install are exactly the same data, bit by bit. Only thing you swap is the license, from disk-held to downloaded.

Kilau

Gold Member

Yep, I imagine Sony uses the disc check as a sort of license and digital has the real license. On Xbox they have it all together, probably as you say, from their initial plans.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
the digital copies and the disc versions are considered different things on PlayStation OP

You would think that the console maker that introduced full retail digital would have thought up a better solution by now.

On Xbox your purchase unlocks the license to the game. That's it. No download, no delete your file so that you can redownload it.

I can only think that this is something tied to Sony's backend, which then bums me out because a fix for this might go the way of the name change.

Sony gives me little confidence in going digital. Hope it changes though.

norm9

This explains why my little nephew's ps4 hard drive said it was filled up when I tried to download ZHD and P5 for him and he doesn't even have any digital downloads, only physical discs. All those discs taking up space on the hard drive.

Gestault

This has been a nice boon the times I've ended up grabbing a sale-price digital version and traded in the physical copy (on XB1). I'm hoping it gets added as standard for PS4 eventually.

Had this with The Golf Club, but worse.

Digital and physical are separate games, as physical invoices DLC so you have to buy twice.

I complained and after much effort got a refund on the digital game because this lack of ability to transfer want made clear.

EmiPrime

If they had made the commitment to backwards compatibility at the same time and Mattrick hadn't come out with that famously stupid line they might have been able to do it. Instead it understandably went down like a cup of cold sick.

Shin

Banned

They still are, it's these little things I'd like to see be the norm across all platforms.
Not even sure why the game ID? are different for psychical and digital, it's inconvenient to the end user.
Not that you'll be switching back and forth much but to the possibility having to start over (download or game save) is kinda silly.

Yep, I imagine Sony uses the disc check as a sort of license and digital has the real license. On Xbox they have it all together, probably as you say, from their initial plans.

It's been awhile so I forget, did the 360 allow you to purchase a digital game if you had downloaded the disc? Or did you have to delete it and purchase and re-download the digital version? I'm thinking it's the latter and that's one benefit of their original One plans since the disc was just a disc check at that point.

It's been awhile so I forget, did the 360 allow you to purchase a digital game if you had downloaded the disc? Or did you have to delete it and purchase and re-download the digital version? I'm thinking it's the latter and that's one benefit of their original One plans since the disc was just a disc check at that point.
360 didn't force installs except for one or two games (GTA?). The arbitrary disk install was an option provided late into its lifecycle that did not help with digital download if any, but was not used by default anyway.

So on Xbox if I have a game on disc, and it goes for cheap on a sale digitally, I can sell the disc and get the digital version and just continue playing without downloading th digital version?

I didn't know that. That's pretty neat.

Colbert

Banned
So on Xbox if I have a game on disc, and it goes for cheap on a sale digitally, I can sell the disc and get the digital version and just continue playing without downloading th digital version?

Yes, thats the case. Was working that way from the beginning. I experienced it with my first Xbox One game which was Forza 5.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it's a little thing but the way this works on Xbone is just so much better.

You can pick up a cheap physical copy of a game, install it and play. Then later on buy the digital copy when it goes on sale and continue playing from where you left off, without needing the disk anymore. Then go trade the disk back in for a few bucks, and in the end you haven't payed full price or had to download the whole game file over your broadband connection.

Gorki247

I'm sure it was the same. If you installed the disc, and then bought the digital license you could use that same install. This is certainly true for BC games on the One.

Gorki247

Yep. Exactly what I'm doing to convert my 360 BC games to digital when there is a sale on.

Top Bottom