• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker announced as the 13th Doctor!

Never liked the way Tennant regenerated into Smith.

It seemed like the show was way too up its own ass about how great the 10th was.

The 10th was so pitiful. "I don't want to go".

Please... have some dignity.

I hope to god we never revisit that "doctor standing in the rain like a lost puppy" moment ever again.

Matt Smith's ability to play old while being so young was the best part of his performance.

1R5xze3.gif

jwk94

The 10th was so pitiful. "I don't want to go".

Please... have some dignity.

I hope to god we never revisit that "doctor standing in the rain like a lost puppy" moment ever again.
Is that really much different from Capaldi shaking off his regeneration during the last couple eps of season 10?

It's become clear that The Doctor is tired of regenerating. He/she is so used to being each incarnation that starting over as a new person with a new companion is difficult for them.

Is that really much different from Capaldi shaking off his regeneration during the last couple eps of season 10?

It's become clear that The Doctor is tired of regenerating. He/she is so used to being each incarnation that starting over as a new person with a new companion is difficult for them.

Yes it is different. Capaldi's Doctor arguably wanted his own life to come to an end (which is why he was willing to sacrifice himself on more than one occasion) and was angry about it happening all over again. But 10? That sad act just wanted to cling on.

Not

Banned
All of my female friends are not too pleased with this announcement. I really don't get it.

Change is hard, especially if you internalize oppression as security, y'know?

White women were super on board for our current President

The guy who said, "grab 'em in the pussy." That guy, who's President now. Women were cool with that guy. We as a species really are not prepared for shakeups.

CSJ

It's news.

New news, new thread.

It's an announcement. It's not a spoiler.

Fucking hell, all of you saying this don't understand what a spoiler is because you cannot comprehend is astonishing.

- An announcement can be a spoiler if you give away something, like the change of a character and what it entails. (regeneration... you understand I don't need to explain)
- News about something can be a spoiler, things get spoiled and leaked all the time on places that report articles as "news".

I wanted to be surprised, I didn't want to know who it is and I would've loved to have seen a female doctor appear as I watched it. Yeah it would've been a tough one to avoid but not in the fucking titles. Come on. Ruins any and all wonder.

Guess we're open to spoiler whatever the hell we want now when it's publicized.
Which on the internet, is literally anything and anywhere.
How much was it to write "New Doctor announced, spoilers inside!"

I even read about it in a thread not related to Doctor Who, also who are you to tell me or anyone else that it's not a spoiler.

You could tell from the breathing

I've seen this in a couple other places! It would have never occurred to me that breathing itself could be masculine or feminine, though.

I just figured that once the hood was up, and stayed up, it was a pretty heavy hint.

Watched a couple reaction videos and a few of them twigged that it was a woman on the shot of the feet.

It's not a spoiler. Your definition of spoiler is broken.

tomtom94

It's not a spoiler. Your definition of spoiler is broken.

When we did the John Simm thread we didn't put it in the title. I think that's a fair policy personally, not expecting it to remain a secret right up until the airdate but he was in the same boat I might have ended up in - he expected it to air closer to 6.30pm and got pre-empted.

Fucking hell, all of you saying this don't understand what a spoiler is because you cannot comprehend is astonishing.

- An announcement can be a spoiler if you give away something, like the change of a character and what it entails. (regeneration... you understand I don't need to explain)
- News about something can be a spoiler, things get spoiled and leaked all the time on places that report articles as "news".

I wanted to be surprised, I didn't want to know who it is and I would've loved to have seen a female doctor appear as I watched it. Yeah it would've been a tough one to avoid but not in the fucking titles. Come on. Ruins any and all wonder.

I even read about it in a thread not related to Doctor Who, also who are you to tell me or anyone else that it's not a spoiler.

There is literally zero chance you could have avoided this unless you asked someone to tell you when the premier date was and you stayed off the internet until then.

It's not a spoiler.

It's not up to you to decide, that's the thing.

I didn't decide it.

Nothing of the plot has been spoiled. Nothing of the story has been spoiled. And since the studio itself released this information, and this information is intended to be disseminated as a legitimate news item outside of the fiction of the show, it's not a spoiler.

No aspect of the storytelling of the upcoming series has been spoiled by this. It's not a spoiler, any more than any casting notice from any entertainment product is a spoiler. Knowing that someone is cast in a role doesn't ruin the story they're helping bring to life.

This is not a spoiler. It's a casting announcement.

When we did the John Simm thread we didn't put it in the title.

I mean, I understand why you'd want to cater to that level of spoilerphobia, because people reacting like CSJ takes up a lot of time that could be spent having more fruitful discussions. I get it.

But casting announcements by the production company aren't a spoiler. It's not inconsiderate to openly discuss it.

EGM1966

They publicly announced the casting on TV right after men's Wimbledon final. I dislike spoilers too but c'mon you'd need to hide in a cave and talk to no one until December to avoid this information. There's no point being upset you were never going to remain unspoilt with something put publicly out like this (particularly give the "first time ever" aspect of the casting).

Let it go: you'd be seeing this info plenty on or maybe off the internet the thread really makes no difference.

Would have been amazing if they had chosen to keep it a secret until the show though: would have melted the internet.

It's not up to you to decide, that's the thing.

On here, it's for me to decide.

It's a news item. Not a spoiler.

Let's focus on the topic, not whether you think an open news item released by the production team is a spoiler.

----

As I said elsewhere:

Being American, my first thought with a new Doctor is always "Who's that?" followed by "Cool." I'm down with this. Smith was the only one where I was like "Ugh", and that's because he has stealth eyebrows that make him look weird. He turned out well. Smith had to work hard to overcome my uncanny valley, where his eyes just ran into his forehead.

Interesting entry into the "anyone (British) can be Doctor Who" era. Looking forward to next season and beyond.

Redhead Jodie Whittaker would have been too good

It might still happen. This was done specifically to announce her. Matt Smith didn't look like he did in the show when they announced him, either.

I could see them tinting the hair to make her ginger for the actual regeneration.

Protome

Jesus, this cannot be a serious post. Are you actually this upset about being spoiled by a massive media announcement thats exact purpose was to get everyone talking about it?

It's not a spoiler, no matter how much you try and twist what spoiler means to you. If you wanted to go into the holiday special without knowing then you should have stayed off the internet and also not talked to anyone until Christmas, because that's literally the only thing you could have done.

liquidtmd

Banned

It's a casting decision. Her face is on every news page on most sites globally right now. She will be on the front pages of most papers tomorrow.

8iQ2rj0.jpg

This is the BBC homepage RIGHT now. Go write to them and say they are spoiling you.

Fury451

Banned
This casting is getting a very interesting mixed response as the day goes on, and not just from backwards manbaby whiners either. Odd how much of a shakeup this is.

Even if it wasn't in the title you wouldn't be able to go about 41 seconds after it was announced without seeing/hearing somewhere that new Doc is a woman because it's huge news. So, it's really not spoiling anything because it's an official press announcement, just like it was before. It's news.

Even if it wasn't in the title you wouldn't be able to go about 41 seconds after it was announced without seeing/hearing somewhere that new Doc is a woman. So, it's really not spoiling anything because it's a huge announcement, just like it was before. It's news.
Huge global news. It would be impossible to go five months and not hear this.

M.Bluth

Quick ?:

How many people here knew it was gonna be a woman as soon as you saw the hood up.

I didn't hear the breathing, so I thought the hood might be to conceal the actor's skin and hair color, then they showed the hand and I was like fuck this it's Kris Marshall isn't it.

I was quite happy and relieved when they showed Jodie's eyes. A real rollercaster that was

I thought it was a woman until i saw the hands and they looked pretty manly but then they cut to her face

nah

#bringbackriggsy

I mean, to clarify, I'm not trying to say there's a wrong answer here or anything. Just curious as to when people were like "oh shit, it's a woman" at first. For me, it was when the hood stayed up. Some people it was the breathing itself (that's crazy to me!) Some people it was the shot of the feet.

And yeah, Rigsy coming back would be pretty cool.

Two questions, because I haven't even watched DW in years...

1) Is Moffat still writer for the series?

2) Wat?

Chris Chibnall is the new showrunner. There are rumors he's going to install a writers room for the first time in Doctor Who history, but nothing's been confirmed yet.

Fury451

Banned
Two questions, because I haven't even watched DW in years...

1) Is Moffat still writer for the series?

2) Wat?

1) No, Chris Chinball is in for the next series.

2) Can't help ya there

Chris Chibnall is the new showrunner. There are rumors he's going to install a writers room for the first time in Doctor Who history, but nothing's been confirmed yet.

I would honestly love to see what happens if he did this. Collaboration for a series like this could do wonders, as opposed to individual authors.

A lot of Moffat's later episodes, even the good ones, felt like they were just 85% there for the most part, and dropped off a cliff for the end. A writer's room may have helped that.

I didn't hear the breathing, so I thought the hood might be to conceal the actor's skin and hair color, then they showed the hand and I was like fuck this it's Kris Marshall isn't it.

I was quite happy and relieved when they showed Jodie's eyes.
I thought I recognised Jodie's hand and then i thought "don't be stupid" and then it was her eye and I started crying. Because I am a giant SJW nerd.

CSJ

Even if it wasn't in the title you wouldn't be able to go about 41 seconds after it was announced without seeing/hearing somewhere that new Doc is a woman. So, it's really not spoiling anything because it's a huge announcement, just like it was before. It's news.

I've managed so far except here and I managed to do it with Matt Smith. :(
I don't understand the hostility towards people here that mention they feel they've been spoiled.

tomtom94

I mean, I understand why you'd want to cater to that level of spoilerphobia, because people reacting like CSJ takes up a lot of time that could be spent having more fruitful discussions. I get it.

But casting announcements by the production company aren't a spoiler. It's not inconsiderate to openly discuss it.

No offence to you personally, Bobby, but this is why I hate the use of the word "spoilerphobia". You're having a semantic argument about the definition of the word "spoiler" rather than his point, which seems to be:

1) He wanted to watch the video. (NOT wait until December like you seem to be assuming. I agree you can't expect to go on official forums and not hear official announcements, that's why we adopted that as spoiler policy in the thread even if people ended up ignoring it)

2) The video aired earlier than expected because the men's final finished early. Like, this happened. People assumed it would be closer to 6.30.

3) Therefore the video - which I think you'll agree is designed to contain a twist - was "spoiled" for him because it's in the title on here. Which also happened to me. I just happened to not really care that much.

I mean, we're not a news outlet. There's no harm done by throwing up the title as "13th Doctor revealed" and keeping the identity inside the thread. But whatever. I know I disagree with you on this because we had this argument in the OT.

VAD

I wanted Olivia Coleman! But whatever, if they think she's good enough for the role.
I knew it was going to be a woman as soon as I heard 12 speaking about how time lords don't give a shit about gender.

Fury451

Banned
I've managed so far except here and I managed to do it with Matt Smith. :(
I don't understand the hostility towards people here that mention they feel they've been spoiled.

Didn't mean to sound hostile, sorry if so; just from my take I don't think this fits because within seconds of the reveal hitting it was everywhere as an official announcement.

Top Bottom