• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Volta is 16nm, expected in May 2017

McHuj

It still boggles my mind what the yields on a 800mm part must be. It wouldn't surprise me if they were getting good dies in single digits per wafer.

eso76

big_tesla-v100-board.jpg.ashx
big_tesla-v100-150-watt-hyperscale-card.jpg.ashx

No idea what this does but it's beautiful.

llien

Not sure if the right thread:

Jen-Hsun Huang - NVIDIA Corp.
...Volta for gaming, we haven't announced anything. And all I can say is that our pipeline is filled with some exciting new toys for the gamers, and we have some really exciting new technology to offer them in the pipeline. But for the holiday season for the foreseeable future, I think Pascal is just unbeatable. It's just the best thing out there. And everybody who's looking forward to playing Call of Duty or Destiny 2, if they don't already have one, should run out and get themselves a Pascal.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4097851-nvidia-beats-sinks?page=2

Now i feel much better about my decision to get get a GTX 1080 instead of waiting for Volta.

Yea, certainly makes me feel better about my 1080ti purchase. Granted I got it on a pretty good deal. But if like to spend a little time with it before I need to sell it for maximum returns.

dr_rus

Crap, I should have made an avatar bet with Dr_Rus

I've been saying for some time now that Volta is unlikely to come out in gaming markets this year. We can all thank the miners and anemic Vega launch for this. NV doesn't feel neither competitors pressure nor any decrease in demand for Pascal products right now and so there's literally zero reason for them to update Pascal lineup this year.

...It actually goes even further than this with a somewhat distinct possibility that NV will skip Volta for gaming altogether and use the next (or "side"?) architecture for the next GeForce lineup. Fuad had some rumblings on this back in June. These are somewhat authentic.

Henrar

I've been saying for some time now that Volta is unlikely to come out in gaming markets this year. We can all thank the miners and anemic Vega launch for this. NV doesn't feel neither competitors pressure nor any decrease in demand for Pascal products right now and so there's literally zero reason for them to update Pascal lineup this year.

...It actually goes even further than this with a somewhat distinct possibility that NV will skip Volta for gaming altogether and use the next (or "side"?) architecture for the next GeForce lineup. Fuad had some rumblings on this back in June. These are somewhat authentic.

From the article:
The dedicated follower of Pascal is now "a Pascal influenced design derived shrink down". With Maxwell architecture, Nvidia chose to optimise the GPU for better memory management. Back then, it became apparent to Nvidia that HBM and HBM 2 would not become mainstream in time for Pascal. Fudzilla already mentioned the fact that Pascal follower will not use HBM 2 memory.
Now, this looks like we were right as Volta-based V100 uses HBM 2 and Pascal fans will still stick with GDDR5X memory. Pascal-based GPUs will use the GDDR5X memory. That is ok; it works even at the highest possible settings.
GP100 used HBM2 and that didn't stop Nvidia from releasing other GPUs based on smaller Pascal chips that used GDDR5X. They may repeat that strategy with Volta.

bachikarn

Yea, certainly makes me feel better about my 1080ti purchase. Granted I got it on a pretty good deal. But if like to spend a little time with it before I need to sell it for maximum returns.

Same here. I was really on th fence on whether I should wait or not and just went with getting the 1080ti.

"There's no competition why the fuck should we release new videocards right now???"

Pretty much.

Not sure why this thread was bumped, I posted this a while ago in this very same thread I think.
https://www.skhynix.com/eng/pr/pressReleaseView.do?seq=2086 first paragraph says it all, GDDR6 2018.

Because it's an actual update with a quote from the company. It's not like it somehow does harm to bump a thread. If it's not really news worthy, no one would respond and the thread would drop off the front page. It'll all be okay.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Gaming Volta was always pegged for 2018. People were just smoking too much hopium to read the leaves.

AmyS

rumor: Nvidia's next GPU architecture called 'Ampere' and should be announced at GTC 2018.

The name of NVIDIA's next generation GPU architecture has just appeared over at Heise.de. From the looks of it, it's rumored that the next generation NVIDIA GPU architecture will be ”Ampere" and will succeed Pascal, at least in the gaming market.

ccording to Heise, NVIDIA is preparing a next generation GPU known as ”Ampere" which they are planning to unveil at GTC 2018. There are currently no details available but rumors are that NVIDIA will be jumping straight from Pascal to Ampere, at least on the GeForce front. The site alleges that the Ampere family of graphics cards will succeed the GeForce 10 series cards which are based on the Pascal GPU architecture.

Now considering this is just a rumor and no other details are mentioned, it's advised to take this information with a grain of salt. We know for a fact that the Volta GPU is the official replacement for the Pascal GPU, according to the roadmaps. There is no mention of an Ampere GPU till now and the road map past Volta is yet to be updated.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-next-generation-ampere-gpu-rumor/
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/next-gen-nvidia-could-be-called-ampere.html
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/59816/nvidias-next-gen-geforce-teased-ampere-unveil-2018/index.html

original source: https://www.heise.de/newsticker/mel...eftiger-Gewinnsprung-dank-Gaming-3887633.html

Kinda makes sense.

Just a guess.

Pascal ---> Volta (HPC / deep learning / AI / compute heavy, not for GTX gaming cards)
Pascal ---> Ampere (consumer gaming cards and probably Quadro workstation graphics)

Pascal (Blaise Pascal)
Volta (Alessandro Volta)
Ampere (André-Marie Ampère)

llien

Well, scientists' names do make sense but I don't quite follow the "skip Volta".
(#poorvolta lol.)

If true, good news for AMD, as GTC 2018 is late in March.

dr_rus

Well, scientists' names do make sense but I don't quite follow the "skip Volta".
(#poorvolta lol.)
Volta is on the market, and lions share of datacenter gain you've posted above is because of Volta. Nothing is "skipped". Volta being used for gaming markets was a no go once they've said that it's going to be Pascal for the rest of 2017. There's no reason to use old Volta architecture for a gaming lineup in 2018.

If true, good news for AMD, as GTC 2018 is late in March.
How is it good news for AMD if Navi is expected in 2019 and current AMD's offerings are barely able to compete with Pascal?

llien

How is it good news for AMD if Navi is expected in 2019 and current AMD's offerings are barely able to compete with Pascal?

Volta was expected in Q1. Now newer tech gets announced late in March, so at least in Q1 2017 situation won't worsen for AMD (they also are likely to get positive momentum from server and notebook markets by that time, softening GPU fiasco).

What is the source of "Navi is expected in 2019"?

In May, AMD road map looked like this, Navi looked like 2018 to 2019 to me:

gpuroadmap_575px.png

dr_rus

Volta was expected in Q1. Now newer tech gets announced late in March, so at least in Q1 2017 situation won't worsen for AMD (they also are likely to get positive momentum from server and notebook markets by that time, softening GPU fiasco).

What is the source of "Navi is expected in 2019"?

In May, AMD road map looked like this, Navi looked like 2018 to 2019 to me:

gpuroadmap_575px.png

What? Q1 2017 is about half a year back from now. How could anything change in it? If Ampere will bring the same 50% perf/watt improvement to gaming which Volta had in compute then we're looking at V56 performance from a chip which will supplant GTX1060. Basically, AMD will be back to where they were in graphics before the launch of Polaris.

Navi is officially expected to be on 7nm and nobody expect GloFo's 7nm to be ready for GPU production earlier than 2019. The fact that they didn't put any year under Navi in this roadmap speaks volumes. I also kinda question if this roadmap is even relevant now, that they've changed the leadership of the RTG.

llien

Typo, I meant 2018.

GloFo promised first 7nm chips to ramp up production in 2h 2018.
Understandably, GF isn't best known to keeping up promises, but still:

ftfEDz3.png

anandtech

Isn't Volta compute perf/watt leap huge only compared to 28nm products?

dr_rus

Typo, I meant 2018.
How would situation not worsen for AMD in 1Q18 is this is when NV will launch Ampere?

GloFo promised first 7nm chips to ramp up production in 2h 2018.
Understandably, GF isn't best known to keeping up promises, but still:

ftfEDz3.png

anandtech
Ramp up of production means that it's going out of risk and into actual production. If 16/14 is an indication for 7 then it'll be a year or so between this and the ability to mass produce mainstream GPUs on this process. So 2nd half of 2018 ramp means 2nd half of 2019 for GPUs most likely, maybe 1st half with very limited availability.

The fact that NV has pushed Pascal update into 2018 is also of relevance here since it likely means that NV don't expect the next GPU update - which is supposed to be on TSMC's 7nm - to come earlier than 2H19 or even 1H20.

Isn't Volta compute perf/watt leap huge only compared to 28nm products?
No, it has 50% more flops in the same wattage as GP100 which isn't a 28nm product. It's even faster in practice than raw flops comparison show actually because of improvements to caching and memory architectures so it's likely even above +50% in power efficiency to Pascal on average.

llien

How would situation not worsen for AMD in 1Q18 is this is when NV will launch Ampere?
It is rumored to be announced at the end of March, which is the very end of calendar 1Q18.

No, it has 50% more flops in the same wattage as GP100 which isn't a 28nm product. It's even faster in practice than raw flops comparison show actually because of improvements to caching and memory architectures so it's likely even above +50% in power efficiency to Pascal on average.

Surprising, thanks for the insight.

dr_rus

It is rumored to be announced at the end of March, which is the very end of calendar 1Q18.

GDC'18 is March 19-23 and GTC'18 is March 26-29. If recent NV's launches are any indication then they'll likely announce it around this time with general availability starting around a couple of weeks later. So mid April and this is 2nd quarter, yeah.

Top Bottom