• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

JesseZao

I'll try it for a month. I'd only go on 5 dollar Tuesdays otherwise. Not reserving in advance is a bit annoying, but it shouldn't be a huge hassle if you go a week or two later.

I go to the movies every weekend, so this is definitely very enticing for me. But before I sign up, does this allow you to reserve seats in advance? My theatre is reserved seating only and I typically have to purchase tickets days in advance if I want to get good seating.
No. Day-of tickets only. Traditional flow is check in with app at theater, buy ticket at kiosk/box office (where you pick your seat).

E-ticket flow allows picking a seat from the app, but again, it's for movies that day only. For big movies I'd go get my ticket in the morning, run errands, then make it back for my showtime. The service allows one ticket a day and uses gps to ensure you're not gaming the system.

How is this possible!?

Either they're operating at a loss or this is a super limited time deal to pump up their numbers. Or a scam? This is simply too good to be true...

Durock

No. Day-of tickets only. Traditional flow is check in with app at theater, buy ticket at kiosk/box office (where you pick your seat).

E-ticket flow allows picking a seat from the app, but again, it's for movies that day only. For big movies I'd go get my ticket in the morning, run errands, then make it back for my showtime.

Dang. Well may have to ignore this then. Thank you for the reply!

Dang. Well may have to ignore this then. Thank you for the reply!
It's a necessary limitation and not a deal-breaker in my opinion. In 5 years there were maybe 6 instances where I couldn't see what I wanted when I wanted, and I was going 3-4x a month to highly-trafficked theaters in NYC.

I signed up via PayPal earlier and the payment through -- I'm able to log into the app but the theaters originally shown on the website (https://www.moviepass.com/theaters/zip/12345 with the numbers changed for zip code) aren't showing as supported theaters on the app for me. It's only showing one at the moment. Do I need to just wait for the MoviePass card to arrive first?

Hoping the website wasn't completely wrong because it showed several theaters in my area that were MoviePass eligible.

I signed up via PayPal earlier and the payment through -- I'm able to log into the app but the theaters originally shown on the website (https://www.moviepass.com/theaters/zip/12345 with the numbers changed for zip code) aren't showing as supported theaters on the app for me. It's only showing one at the moment. Do I need to just wait for the MoviePass card to arrive first?

Hoping the website wasn't completely wrong because it showed several theaters in my area that were MoviePass eligible.

Are you me? Haha

But ya if anyone in Phoenix, Arizona had this before today which theaters accepted this?
(the app only shows one and its father away then the 3 I would go to/listed on the web page)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
They're definitely going to harvest our data. They're going to know that I like bad movies.

They won't know anything about your movie tastes if you watch them all.

Are you me? Haha

But ya if anyone in Phoenix, Arizona had this before today which theaters accepted this?
(the app only shows one and its father away then the 3 I would go to/listed on the web page)

In Ventura County, California it showed virtually every theater in my vicinity and after signing up the app just shows 1 in Simi Valley that is supported. I'm gonna guess based on the server issues earlier their app is experiencing the same at the moment.

hayejin

So the FAQ says the card will not be sent if the theaters near by have e-ticketing.
But when I tried to do e-ticketing earlier the app kept asking me for card number.
Confused??????

Sean

Banned
So the FAQ says the card will not be sent if the theaters near by have e-ticketing.
But when I tried to do e-ticketing earlier the app kept asking me for card number.
Confused??????

I just signed up/paid and am wondering the same thing.

And when I tap on the tickets tab for showtimes/theaters it shows nothing at all and just says: "Want access to more theaters? Request a MoviePass card."

Toki767

I just signed up/paid and am wondering the same thing.

And when I tap on the tickets tab for showtimes/theaters it shows nothing at all and just says: "Want access to more theaters? Request a MoviePass card."

Same. Not sure if the app is still glitching out or if that's on purpose.

Hesh

Huh, I read about this service for the first time 15 minutes ago, went to sign up, and was told my "household has already taken part of a free trial" and that I would be billed immediately. Ain't that some shit? Oh well, I guess I'll cross my fingers that the previous tenants of the next place I move to haven't squandered the free trials I'd actually be interested in.

If you click on Theaters in the app and nothing shows up, that means none of the theaters in your area are e-ticket enabled.

To test it out, try changing the zip code in the app (right under My Profile) to the zip code 75001 (dallas, TX) and then when you click theaters you'll see like 6 or 7. Click one, click a movie and time, pick a seat. DON'T CLICK on reserve e-ticket at the bottom, it will actually book the ticket there is no confirmation page or anything (doh).

So if your area doesn't have e-tickets, and most people probably don't, you need to wait for the MoviePass card to arrive, its basically a debit card and when you "book" a ticket it loads the ticket amount to the debit card and you just buy a regular ticket using the debit card at the box office of the theater.

You can't book a ticket though unless you are actually AT the theater with this method, so trying a hundred times at home on your phone won't work, it just will always tell you there is no theater near you. You have to be within 100 feet of the theater for it to "activate".

dickroach

If you click on Theaters in the app and nothing shows up, that means none of the theaters in your area are e-ticket enabled.

To test it out, try changing the zip code in the app (right under My Profile) to the zip code 75001 (dallas, TX) and then when you click theaters you'll see like 6 or 7. Click one, click a movie and time, pick a seat. DON'T CLICK on reserve e-ticket at the bottom, it will actually book the ticket there is no confirmation page or anything (doh).

So if your area doesn't have e-tickets, and most people probably don't, you need to wait for the MoviePass card to arrive, its basically a debit card and when you "book" a ticket it loads the ticket amount to the debit card and you just buy a regular ticket using the debit card at the box office of the theater.

You can't book a ticket though unless you are actually AT the theater with this method, so trying a hundred times at home on your phone won't work, it just will always tell you there is no theater near you. You have to be within 100 feet of the theater for it to "activate".

word. I was wondering if the app was fucked up because nothing was showing up. I find it hard to believe there's not a single theater in nyc with e-ticketing, but whatever, they showed up in dallas so I guess... I dunno

so when I get my card I have to show up to the theater and use the card at a kiosk or whatever? I can't just book it from home and show up?

word. I was wondering if the app was fucked up because nothing was showing up. I find it hard to believe there's not a single theater in nyc with e-ticketing, but whatever, they showed up in dallas so I guess... I dunno

so when I get my card I have to show up to the theater and use the card at a kiosk or whatever? I can't just book it from home and show up?

I just signed up today too so dunno for sure but from reading other peoples posts, my understanding of the process is this

1. if you have e-ticketing, you can just book anytime with the app from home and breeze into the theater and show your booking code and receive a ticket. I believe this even supports pre-ordering a few days (or more?) in advance.

2. if you don't have e-ticketing (no theaters show up) you need to get your ass near the theater (within 100 feet) anytime before the movie starts. Can be 6 hours before or 15 mins. Then the theater will magically pop up in the theater list and you can select a movie and time, reserve your ticket, and your debit card will be loaded with the proper amount - $10, $18.73, whatever. You go to the kiosk or ticket line, buy the appropriate ticket, and when its time to pay say you are using a debit card and hand it over, stick it in the card reader, etc. I have no idea if a pin number is involved or not (seems like it should be?). If it all works then the debit card pays for the ticket and you are seeing a movie.

Obviously if your theater supports reserved seating you'd wanna go a few hours early, book a ticket and hopefully get a decent seat (not gonna happen on Star Wars 8 release night though, that will be presold weeks in advance), then go fuck off and do other shit and come back when its movie time.

Toki767

I just signed up today too so dunno for sure but from reading other peoples posts, my understanding of the process is this

1. if you have e-ticketing, you can just book anytime with the app from home and breeze into the theater and show your booking code and receive a ticket. I believe this even supports pre-ordering a few days (or more?) in advance.

2. if you don't have e-ticketing (no theaters show up) you need to get your ass near the theater (within 100 feet) anytime before the movie starts. Can be 6 hours before or 15 mins. Then the theater will magically pop up in the theater list and you can select a movie and time, reserve your ticket, and your debit card will be loaded with the proper amount - $10, $18.73, whatever. You go to the kiosk or ticket line, buy the appropriate ticket, and when its time to pay say you are using a debit card and hand it over, stick it in the card reader, etc. I have no idea if a pin number is involved or not (seems like it should be?). If it all works then the debit card pays for the ticket and you are seeing a movie.

Obviously if your theater supports reserved seating you'd wanna go a few hours early, book a ticket and hopefully get a decent seat (not gonna happen on Star Wars 8 release night though, that will be presold weeks in advance), then go fuck off and do other shit and come back when its movie time.

I'm just confused about the whole e-ticketing thing.

Especially when services like Fandango allow you to buy movie tickets online.

Mirado

Well I'll be damned, you are correct. 75001 lists a bunch of theaters while my zip code doesn't show any at all. Oh well, there goes tomorrow's movie plans.

What does it actually mean to accept e-tickets, then? Both of the major movie chains in my area (Cinemark and Regal) allow you to buy tickets online, scan your phone, and Cinemark even allows you to pre-reserve seats, so what's up with the system Moviepass uses that it doesn't jive with either? I figured it would just generate an acceptable barcode for the kiosks/workers to scan, but perhaps "supported theaters" just means "they take credit/debit cards."

I hope they come to terms with either major chain in the near future, as e-ticketing sounds far more convenient. Not a deal breaker, mind you, but slightly disappointing.

I have one theater near me that does e-ticketing through the app, which is nice, but I can’t find a way to change the date. Seems it only lets you select the current day as well.

Presumably. It actually doesn’t list a date at all.

ShdwDrake

Banned
I don't understand the "if you have e ticketing". What is e ticketing? I would have to assume that it's not just buying tickets online.

crustikid

faccccckkkk. Hopefully, the other chains don't follow suit with PR statements like this.

FTA said:
Not so fast, MoviePass: AMC Theatres, the world's largest exhibition company, says that it's talking to lawyers to see if it can block ticket sales to users of the service that enables subscribers to see a movie a day.

”From what we can tell, by definition and absent some other form of other compensation, MoviePass will be losing money on every subscriber seeing two movies or more in a month," AMC says in a statement.

It adds that ”it is not yet known how to turn lead into gold. AMC believes that holding out to consumers that first run movies can be watched in theatres at great quantities for a monthly price of $9.95 isn't doing moviegoers any favors. In AMC's view, that price level is unsustainable and only sets up consumers for ultimate disappointment down the road if or when the product can no longer be fulfilled."

Indeed, AMC says, the price ”over time will not provide sufficient revenue to operate quality theatres nor will it produce enough income to provide film makers with sufficient incentive to make great new movies."

The chain says that it doesn't object to the concept of movie subscriptions: But the one from MoviePass ”is not one AMC can embrace. We are actively working now to determine whether it may be feasible to opt out and not participate in this shaky and unsustainable program."

AMC and Landmark opposed the MoviePass concept when it was introduced in 2011. The subscription firm still was able to do business by offering subscribers debit cards that it says are accepted at 91% of U.S. theaters.

More: http://deadline.com/2017/08/amc-theatres-block-moviepass-1202149783/

Sorry Z3M0G, I was probably editing as you posted that haha

zulux21

faccccckkkk. Hopefully, the other chains don't follow suit with PR statements like this.

More: http://deadline.com/2017/08/amc-theatres-block-moviepass-1202149783/

Sorry Z3M0G, I was probably editing as you posted that haha

$9.95 isn't doing moviegoers any favors. In AMC's view, that price level is unsustainable and only sets up consumers for ultimate disappointment down the road if or when the product can no longer be fulfilled."

I read this as.

they could sell you our steak for $1 per pound, but they will only be able to do that for a few months before you have to start buying the steak from us at $5 per pound which means we are doing you a disservice as you will be disappointed when that steak goes to $5 per pound to let you buy it at $1 per pound, so we are going to try to make sure you can never buy steak at $1 per pound but only at our $5 per pound because we are looking out for you to make sure you aren't disappointed.

I am suddenly much happier my local theater got bought out and is no longer amc because that logic is the type of PR speak that annoys the crap out of me.

How is this possible!?

Either they're operating at a loss or this is a super limited time deal to pump up their numbers. Or a scam? This is simply too good to be true...

you operate at a loss for a while to grow the numbers, you then hope that a bigger company such as AMC buys you out for more than you put into it.

if not you try to convert it to legit by slowly increasing the price.

I mean at the current price if someone doesn't go to the movies more than once a month they will typically make money off that person. while they will likely go a few times early on as the year goes on if they were someone who didn't often go to the movies they will likely calm down and start not going as much. increase the price a bit to still make money of two times a month and ideally keep most of your current base you are getting and it's a good chance you can make money as long as you stop people abusing it.

I mean I imagine a number of people would want to do stuff like sign up for amc stubs and pretend to go to a movie every day just to rack up rewards stuff.

I keep trying to signup, but every time I hit submit for free trial (after entering payment) it goes back to the sign up screen.

That said I now realize (after reading this thread), that my wife and I can't each have accounts since we live at the same address? That sounds like the stupidest thing ever. My son wants an account too, but I guess that is out also. That is 3 memberships they just lost because of that.

I keep trying to signup, but every time I hit submit for free trial (after entering payment) it goes back to the sign up screen.

That said I now realize (after reading this thread), that my wife and I can't each have accounts since we live at the same address? That sounds like the stupidest thing ever. My son wants an account too, but I guess that is out also. That is 3 memberships they just lost because of that.

I signed up both my wife and I yesterday no problem. When making the second account it told me that account wouldn't have the free two week trial because the household had already claimed it once. But, it had no issue with creating a second account. Their site is just acting goofy because they probably got hundreds of thousands of new users in the last 24 hours.

I signed up both my wife and I yesterday no problem. When making the second account it told me that account wouldn't have the free two week trial because the household had already claimed it once. But, it had no issue with creating a second account. Their site is just acting goofy because they probably got hundreds of thousands of new users in the last 24 hours.

Ok so it is only the trial (its actually a free month now) that is limited to the address not the membership. Thanks clearing that up. I will try it later today.

scitek

So AMC is taking Sony's excuse for blocking EA Access. "We're looking out for our customers..."

EDIT: Fuck it, I'll try this. If it folds, then I'll have seen some movies on the cheap in the interim.

Lum1n3s

I'm so confused about this, so I'm paying $9.95 to see unlimited movies without having to pay anything correct? So why am I seeing people saying to charge their debit cards for this. I'm so lost as to how this works.

I read this as.

they could sell you our steak for $1 per pound, but they will only be able to do that for a few months before you have to start buying the steak from us at $5 per pound which means we are doing you a disservice as you will be disappointed when that steak goes to $5 per pound to let you buy it at $1 per pound, so we are going to try to make sure you can never buy steak at $1 per pound but only at our $5 per pound because we are looking out for you to make sure you aren't disappointed.

I am suddenly much happier my local theater got bought out and is no longer amc because that logic is the type of PR speak that annoys the crap out of me.

It's not like they aren't right, and really AMC is likely not going to be the only movie chain to come out against moviepass. Their business model is in danger and Moviepass is making a powerplay that will have the chains potentially eating out of their hands if they succeed in their scheme. Moviepass wants power of numbers, once they have them, the theaters will have to bend to their will or get left in the dust, meaning theater chains having to negotiate and profit share with moviepass if it becomes the juggernaught it might become. While moviepass will be raising it's price once the year is up

Premium theater chains are also must be steaming, like Ipic and Cinebistro chains, which moviepass does not support, as it promotes people to not go to these chain premium experiences when they got a subscription to unlimited movies at regular chains.

I'm so confused about this, so I'm paying $9.95 to see unlimited movies without having to pay anything correct? So why am I seeing people saying to charge their debit cards for this. I'm so lost as to how this works.

I think this is a confusion about the way MoviePass used to work and the way it works now.

Previously they worked completely on a reloadable debit card basis. They would send you a card, and when you wanted to go see a movie, they remotely load that card with money, which you then use to pay for the ticket. So you're never using your own money.

Now it seems like they are attempting to move to an e-ticket model where when you want to see a movie, you select it in their app and get a QR code to show the ticket taker, so no debit card dance needs to be done.

HOWEVER, some areas have theaters that don't support e-tickets, and if so, you have to request they send you a debit card as a fallback. When people are saying "charge" their card, they mean MoviePass is "charging" their reloadable card with funds.

br3wnor

Will be interesting to see how many months they can keep this thing going. I only go to the theater a few times a year so not a product I’d use but if I was in High School or College I’d use the shit out of this. Some theaters where I live charge $15+ for non-matinee showings so the amount of money this company is going to burn through in the first few months will be astounding.

This doesn't make sense. What does AMC miss out on by not accepting this? They are getting paid through movie pass.

Probably a long term play. If this service became popular enough where 20% or more of AMC’s tickets were purchased through it, eventually Moviepass would come to them and demand a discount. The bigger their market share, the more leverage they have to use against AMC. AMC isn’t make much off of their tickets to begin with, the real drive is concessions, and if Moviepass became big enough they might try to force a share of those profits using the leverage of their user base. In the short term AMC would make out, more people coming to their theaters = more concession money, but ultimately if this service got big enough they’d risk a long term decline in profits.

They also have a valid point where they know Moviepass will eventually have to charge more for their service and if a bunch of people drop out once the service triples in price, now all those people who were used to paying $10 a month to see multiple movies are staring at $12-15 non-matinee tickets which could depress future business.

Ultimately, AMC is trying to make the play that if they don’t allow Moviepass to be used at their theaters, the service will not take off. Given their market share that’s a pretty solid bet.

This doesn't make sense. What does AMC miss out on by not accepting this? They are getting paid through movie pass.

Ticket sales mean very little to a movie chain, the profit comes mainly from extras. AMC is likely afraid of it cutting into sales of specialty screenings which are pure profits, like 3D, XD, Dbox, Imax, etc, etc screenings. Also AMC especially have been pushing higher end movie chains and settings with higher priced "premium" settings that moviepass doesn't support. These are high mark up food and drink setups that will probably lose out if moviepass is too successful, these are big investments that can end up losing huge customer base.

For example there is several newer speciality AMC theaters near me, dine in, premium seats, booze, etc, and moviepass doesn't support them. So if I was a moviepass subscriber, why would I go to these locations? Guess I'm going to the local Regal instead

They also are afraid of how powerful moviepass is going to become, if they succeed in becoming a Netflix like powerhouse in the business with subscriber base, it gives moviepass power over theater chains to push for special pricing and deals.

charpunk

Do they still automatically send you a card if you have no e-ticket theaters in your area? It did ask for my address when I signed up.

Toth

10 bucks a month for a movie every day at any cinema doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Are they about to fold and just want to collect as much money as possible to reduce their losses before that? I can't think of any way this makes sense financially for anyone involved other than the customer.

Sure but those people are unlikely to be attracted to such a service to begin with.

Maybe they think more movies = more chances of concession purchases?

DirtyLarry

My big question is this $10 a month thing a promotion or their new price moving forward?
If so I will let the dust settle on things for a few weeks and see how shit pans out. I was trying to sign up me and my wife last night but the site refused to work.

charpunk

My big question is this $10 a month thing a promotion or their new price moving forward?
If so I will let the dust settle on things for a few weeks and see how shit pans out. I was trying to sign up me and my wife last night but the site refused to work.

It sounds like they are going to change it once they hit a certain number of new subs. They stated it’s a limited time thing.

Top Bottom