• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Prime to add Commercials, unless you pay $3 extra monthly

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This usa only?
Nonsense. You guys have better deals for everything and cheaper prices for everything. 70 dollar games Boohoo. Us canadians been paying 100 for about a decade now.

And dont bother mentioning the exchange rate. No one buys a game in their country and says "oh well this is good value on the dollar :messenger_poop:"

mitch1971

All aboard!!

Naval Season 6 GIF by Friends

BlackTron

I was a happy Prime customer for over a decade, but recently cancelled. It does suck sometimes because occasionally a good deal will come up that's less than $25, but eh... It's always something I can live without or often buy elsewhere.

Prime Video was shit woke nonsense anyway. Glad I dumped it.

When the woke nonsense strategy doesn't pay off, who should pay for it?

Us, of course.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Nonsense. You guys have better deals for everything and cheaper prices for everything. 70 dollar games Boohoo. Us canadians been paying 100 for about a decade now.

And dont bother mentioning the exchange rate. No one buys a game in their country and says "oh well this is good value on the dollar :messenger_poop:"
I’m from Soviet canuckistan too.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

USA is cheap as a whole. And taxes are low too. The avg American should be raking in the bucks assuming they save. You can also deduct mortgage interest on income tax I think. The avg state tax is maybe about 6-7%. In Canada, Alberta is 7% I think and everyone else is around 13-15% for most stuff (some things are tax limited or exempt). Income tax is lower too.

Despites all this, the avg American and Canuck make roughly the same annual wage in their currency (~$55k). Granted one thing Americans pay out of pocket is heaalthcare premiums. Canucks dont as its universal healthcare (for the major stuff covered under the rules). But I dont think those premiums would totally counter the less taxes paid and cheaper absolute price of goods as a whole. Not everything is cheaper though. But it's weird. Something like chips and pop might be similarly priced in each currency. But then TV and electronics and cars have the US price way cheaper.

Last edited:
player-man-head-scratch-1gimprppmtld1k26.gif

They...kind of already had ads? There were literally 'free with ads' options for certain movies and shows. I guess this just means they will expand it to the whole service?

Unknown?

Ya know what just knock off 30 bucks a year from Amazon Prime, give me zero access to Prime Video because IDGAF, and just let me keep decent shipping which was the whole fucking point in the first place.
Walmart Plus is $20 cheaper and doesn't have the streaming stuff.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Okay Bezos, step way from the ledge of your superyacht.

Yeah on second thought it's shite. I only use it because it comes with Prime delivery. Then again, I don't really watch series. Mostly watch a movie or rent one once a month. Guessing the adds don't apply then.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah on second thought it's shite. I only use it because it comes with Prime delivery. Then again, I don't really watch series. Mostly watch a movie or rent one once a month. Guessing the adds don't apply then.
It's my least used streaming app. Only use it for Thursday night NFL games.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Football. Figures. 😏

I have HBO, Prime but mostly 99.8% YT.

Sometimes rent movies via the Xbox store

Last edited:
Even with that, if you're watching live guff, you still need a TV licence, which is over £130+ a year, or £13+ a month before you even get to these services (They'd have you believe, anyway..)

All of it adds up to a crazy amount if you're an avid consumer of these services.

I got right pissed off with it all. I subbed to most of them at one point, the real pisser was sports, £40 EACH for Sky and BT, 80 quid which ended up me never being able to watch the games I wanted as they wasn't broadcast in the UK. You could watch the fucking things if you were in the UAE mind you.. that was it for me, pissed me right off!

Binned the licence fee, haven't had it for three years, mainly just watch YouTube now.

I find most normal TV utter dross nowdays anyway so it was no loss at all. And my god, the shit the BBC are pushing, I doubt I'll ever buy another licence again.
I dumped my TV licence years ago now. My smug levels haven’t dropped an inch.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Aside from The Boys and Thursday night football I never watch prime video and they already show ads during the football game. I subscribe to get free shipping on everything I don't want to go to the store to buy. I'll just wait until the whole season of The Boys drops, pay $3, binge, and cancel.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
All apart of the infinite growth that runaway capitalism demands.

Can't just make money. You have to make MORE money every year. Otherwise you aren't a success.

Doczu

I dumped my TV licence years ago now. My smug levels haven’t dropped an inch.
TV licence is the most insane thing i've learned as an adult. I don't know about all other countries, but in Poland it's paid for owning a device, not for watching public tv stations... what if i just stream and play vidya on it? Why should i pay for something i don't use?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I just canceled it for renewal myself. A drop in the sub addict's ocean, but their content doesn't justify the pricing.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I haven't had Prime in a long time and never paid much attention to their video service though "Man In The High Castle" was excellent. Maybe I'm stuck in the past but the main benefit was the free shipping and once they raised the price above $99. It's easy to just wait until I have $25 worth of items to qualify for free shipping.

TransTrender

Gold Member
The only time I use Prime Video is for Thursday night football.
It's like a bonus for having prime and living out in the boonies where it's easier to get all this shit delivered.

Drew1440

player-man-head-scratch-1gimprppmtld1k26.gif

They...kind of already had ads? There were literally 'free with ads' options for certain movies and shows. I guess this just means they will expand it to the whole service?
That's Freevee which was initially a separate app, but they rolled it into the main Prime Video app, along with a few FAST channels like PlutoTV.
They don't require a prime subscription and some of the content is quite good, watched Blue Mountain State on there.

I don't like it but the thing about Prime is it does way, way more than other streaming services for rougly the same price. In my eyes, this actually hurts other services instead of Amazon. I'm much more likely to cut other subscriptions so that I can keep Prime.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its funny, 20 some years ago I used to buy a lot of DVDs, and spent vastly more monthly on them than the amounts people are complaining about here.
Excuse me for not clutching my pearls too tightly!

Kamina

Golden Boy
They raised the prices last year which is why I canceled my subscription. No added value.
Now they want even more for nothing?

Durien

Last edited:

GeekyDad

...Pay for it and get commercials.
dafuq?

That's okay, this might be all the incentive I need to finally drop our Prime membership. We've had it for years now, and it's kept creeping up in price, whist the product prices have also been creeping up in price to pay for their "free shipping" bs.

Top Bottom