• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead |OT| 2 Cups 1 Screen

sam777

After a frustrating time with the bouncy ball yesterday, I managed to do him within 3 tries today.

On the plane one now, which seems pretty hard.

DoomGyver

I just caved and bought it, I was interested in the art since it was first shown. I would of rather had a physical copy but since I had $10 off amazon - well let’s just hope I don’t break a controller.

Stoze

It was in for a long time, but didn't have art til later.

I'll be honest, we tested most often using the least useful weapons to ensure everything was beatable and with everything. I knew it was powerful, but it's not the absolute highest DPS in most situations. We nerfed it a bit in the very last build before gold, but we didn't want to do it too much, or it would be useless. The balance is incredibly delicate and we were looking at other things to ensure they didn't break the game. That said, we obviously didn't go far enough. It's too effective at the mid-tier it seems (kinda like how Chaser is a little too good for beginners. I mean, it was put in for beginners so they could focus on dodging, but we assumed more experienced players would have abandoned it by World 3 for the damage output of other stuff).

No one likes Lobber :(

I'll say, there are two major things (well, three, but one is exceptionally situational) that I don't think anyone has discovered that can give you speedrunner damage output.
I like the Lobber! Didn't really use it at all the last half of the game...but it was my first or second weapon purchase and I thought it was pretty good. I should try it out again to see if the damage holds up.

Thanks for the insight on balance, I figured Charge wasn't optimal DPS wise in the long run because parrying and dashing resets the charge, which is why I stopped using it and switched over to mainly Roundabout. Plus I feel like if you miss or fire too early with it a couple times you negate its benefit.

I'm going to take a stab and say one of the roads to top tier DPS involves getting as much meter from the Coffee charm and parries as possible, then throwing out and stacking Roundabout EX ninja star things as much as you can (or using 4 at once). Maneuvering properly so they won't come back to you and are hitting the boss, using Spreadshot to do damage while they're swinging around you when you're close enough to the boss.

I absolutely love co-op in this. I just did a full run through with my friend and we had a blast. Although, I carried us through it because I already went through the single player yesterday lol! That match knowledge is key.

Beautiful wonderful game. I only wish there were more to it because I feel it's on the short side. However, we need to play and perfect the expert difficulty so at least there's something else to accomplish. I do understand the work load that went into it though, so I appreciate the devs for what they've given us.

In terms of weaponry and it's usefulness, I'd rank them in this order from my most used to least;

Charge > Lobber > Peashooter > Spread > Roundabout > Chaser

As you can tell I felt the stronger hitting weapons were just overall better since it would wrap up fights much quicker.

Also, the smoke bomb is by far the most useful and powerful charm. I never took it off once I got it. Being invincible is just the best thing and it made certain attacks enemies throw at you immensely easy to avoid. I fully recommend getting the hang of it.

As for difficulty, I actually think I died more to baroness von bon bon more than anything else yesterday. I just couldn't wrap my head around her final form. But in retrospect, it's hilarious how easy she is to beat for me now. Out of all the bosses in the game, i think Cala Maria and Dr. Kakls Robot may have been the most challenging, as they felt like longer encounters. I was curious what the death pool says, and including both play throughs , I failed and perished 206 times.

Anyway, bravo to mdhr. You all are brilliant and I truly hope cuphead is as successful as it can possibly be.

NeoRaider

At that point, all of the bosses only had 2 phases, all of the King Dice phases were individual bosses and a bunch of not-so-fun bosses were cut.

We expanded all of the bosses to 3 or 4 phases and smashed all the King Dice phases to our Gunstar homage.

Thanks for the reply.

sp3ctr3

I'm playing on Steam and have some controller issues.

I tried both with a wireless 360 pad and a 8bitDo sfc30 pad. I can set the controller up in game and play the levels but I can't control the menus?

And I don't get any button prompts on the world map to enter levels? Have to visually verify a level and press enter on the keyboard. I can't speak to characters either. So now I'm stuck at the die house because no prompts and no buttons work?

Finished it the other day, it's an incredible game. I was honestly taken aback at just how much thought was put into the bosses; I had my doubts whether Cuphead would've been the kind of game that revolved largely around its style, but it quickly became clear that the developers really know what makes for an engaging and high-quality boss fight. Consistently, at that! The patterns are 99% of the time very reasonable due to careful timing and clear audiovisual telegraphing, but most importantly is the amount of sheer creativity crammed into these fights. Not only aesthetically, but also how the team ran with an underlying theme and made a given boss' attacks (or the way the fight unfolds) feel cohesive throughout. Never mind still finding the time to cram in all kinds of gags or referential nods throughout the whole shebang without it interrupting the flow of the fight or without relying on the same gimmicks, making said fights feel fresh from beginning to end. Cuphead is legitimately impressive on that front and that's without even discussing the impeccable soundtrack.

There are two so-called shortcomings that stuck out to me the most however, starting with the run & gun stages. Due to the inconsistent timing of certain enemy spawns or certain attacks, at the drop of a hat they can become increasingly more chaotic in a manner that comparatively speaking doesn't quite feel as natural or as predictable as the boss fights and some of the randomness involved here leads to obnoxious circumstances, even if said components are balanced when looked at in isolation. There (barely!) isn't enough consideration during numerous intervals for reliable timing windows, which really sticks out when trying to speedrun. One attempt you'd easily waltz through a particular stretch with little opposition, the next attempt could throw multiple overlapping enemies / projectiles at the player with relatively little to no legroom to either zip through a previously occurred opening or to manipulate the circumstances in your favour without slowing down much. It's more or less a non-issue if you play the game without the intent of rushing it, since again they're surmountable obstacles when playing normally, but a prominent element of behind-the-scenes luck rears its head as soon as you want to play efficiently for reaching speed-related meta objectives. It's... a delicate matter.

My second qualm lies within Expert Mode: first off, I appreciate how it increases Cuphead's difficulty with nuanced finesse! Bosses are rebalanced on a case-to-case basis, which translates into them (for example) acting faster or having their existing attacks behave in a new fashion rather than just arbitrarily cranking up universal damage numbers like so many other games do. However... because of this, specific ones simultaneously suffer from a heavy dose of luck that's directly proportionate to how effective one would want to play, similar to what transpires in the run & gun stages. Beating a boss on Expert Mode is entirely doable without a shadow of doubt, but on the other hand the aforementioned overlapping issue re-emerges in full force if you're looking to attain S-ranks. There are moments (ones out of your control) where you could be stalled for an undetermined, variable amount of time, just because another attack happened to transpire the one time an parry object did spawn or due to it being on top of a platform when you're practically forced to jump. Sometimes even consecutively! The dragon boss is a prime example of this even on Normal, since you have only have one phase to meet the respective S-rank criteria and if you patiently bide your time to bait it out without a cloud and its tail conveniently getting in the way, you might fall short for the time criteria instead. The lack of invincibility frames after a successful parry - mind you I'm not saying these should be incorporated! - also regularly put you in between a rock and a hard place in these kind of scenarios, due to the fact that being hit even a single time also denies you of said rank. It's yet again another delicate matter dictated by subtleties that don't affect so-called 'casual' playthroughs.

I'm admittedly nitpicking here, because ultimately all of the above is hardly detrimental to the otherwise extremely polished gameplay.

Skyline Owl

Neo Member
118 deaths later and I have finally beaten Island 1.
Cagney Carnation
was giving me fits for some reason.

Fantastic game.

As an aside, Play Anywhere is awesome. Being able to pick up immediately where I left off on my laptop from my XB1 is great.

MrBadger

On island 3 now. I love and hate how easy it is to restart a boss fight after dying. And how the game tells you that you JUST BARELY lost and you'll totally do it next attempt. I've spent my entire morning on the Island 2 bosses when I was only gonna play for like 10 minutes.

Fantastic game. And I'm glad I hadn't heard much of the music before playing it because it's seriously great

I have a question for Teeth and I will spoiler tag it just in case. I wouldn't read unless you've finished the game.

There was a Cuphead preview in the March, 2015 issue Game Informer that contained a screenshot and description of a boss battle that took place inside an arcade game Cuphead and Mugman play. Why was this level removed from the final game?

jmartoine

Baroness von Bon Bon and Beppi the Clown were great.

Both bosses I really struggled with but once I had the pattern down it felt great and I was able to breeze though them.

Getting the phases down really stops the frustration as it gives you a sense of progression. From struggling and dying in the first phase to getting to the final one with full health, learning patterns and identifying mistakes. There has not been a single point in the game where I've looked at it and thought it was cheating or unfair.

Jazzem

I'm playing on Steam and have some controller issues.

I tried both with a wireless 360 pad and a 8bitDo sfc30 pad. I can set the controller up in game and play the levels but I can't control the menus?

And I don't get any button prompts on the world map to enter levels? Have to visually verify a level and press enter on the keyboard. I can't speak to characters either. So now I'm stuck at the die house because no prompts and no buttons work?

Yeah I ran into this problem playing over a friend's house, in the end we just had to use the keyboard for player one to navigate menus, while the player two one was alright. I've seen other folks mention it on the Steam forum so hopefully it gets patched.

Game is amazing otherwise :D

TheYanger

Going back on Expert for S ranks really puts stark contrast with how much better I got just over the course of 7 hours with the game. Taken only a couple of tries each on the first island.

(Just talking about bosses, haven't touched run n guns yet).

https://youtu.be/X7haQflPddc

Stoze

Did pacifist on all the run and gun levels, pretty fun figuring them out. Definitely not as tough as I thought it would be, with the exception of the end of the pier level, god damn.
What is charge shot everyone is talking about? What's the name of the weapon/uprade?
Charge

TheKeyPit

Banned
Pacifist
Run&Gun question:
How are you supposed to progress through certain sections blocked off by enemies when you're not allowed to shoot them? Are parries allowed? What is not allowed?
No. We specifically did not put any multiplayer achievements in because BOOOOOOOO MULTIPLAYER ACHIEVEMENTS.
Hehe, good mentality :)

Stoze

Pacifist
Run&Gun question:
How are you supposed to progress through certain sections blocked off by enemies when you're not allowed to shoot them? Are parries allowed? What is not allowed?
Parries are allowed, but only on objects or enemies that don't die from being parried. There's sometimes a trick to getting past stuff, like in the first run & gun level to get over the acorn machine you get a mushroom to shoot out a pink puff to bounce on from the left side.

Typically though there's two strategies; damage boosting (getting hit by an enemy and using the i-frames to move through them), which the 5hp charm helps with, or using the smoke dash charm to dash through them provided the hitbox is skinny enough.

Pacifist
Run&Gun question:
Parries are allowed, but only on objects or enemies that don't die from being parried. There's sometimes a trick to getting past stuff, like in the first run & gun level to get over the acorn machine you get a mushroom to shoot out a pink puff to bounce on from the left side.

Typically though there's two strategies; damage boosting (getting hit by an enemy and using the i-frames to move through them), which the 5hp charm helps with, or using the smoke dash charm to dash through them provided the hitbox is skinny enough.
To add to this:
the Invincibility super is also applicable for Pacifist runs. After the start-up animation, Cuphead commits to a little hop (even in mid-air) so if you want to maximize distance without touching anything, you could do a normal jump -> smoke bomb dash -> super activation or swap around the last two steps where appropriate. Came in handy towards the end of the first and second run 'n gun stages where big enemies impede your progress right in front of the finish line, for example.

Pacifist
Run&Gun question:
Hehe, good mentality :)
After several tries on some of them, yes. You can use parry, but you can't shoot to kill.

Forest Follies has that acorn launcer in the way, so use the Invincibility Super after jumping.
You'll gain extra air once you activate it, then air dash over it.

Funhouse Frazzle has two wall minibosses in the way. Time yourself and use dash the second one of their mouths open. You'll need the smoke bomb for this to dodge any cars on the first wall. The second one will leave its mouth open for a few seconds when it tries to hit you with its tongue.

NeoRaider

Beppi The Clown:

cuphead_2017_10_01_14x2snc.png

Yay. It wasn't as hard as i thought it will be reading this thread.

Bookman

So I bought this yesterday. I actually aren't supposed to by any more games (I struck a deal with the wife) but I really felt that I should support the developers. I have only defeated 2 bosses and the first mausoleum, but I can really tell that this is an incredible game. Does anybody got any tips on how to spend my in game coins? Does the degree of difficulty expand proportionally as the game progresses aka does it get even harder?

TheKeyPit

Banned
Am I missing anything in the Mermaid boss fight?
At the end with that tight tunnel, when that green big ghost appears that can freeze you, how am I supposed to get around this? It's as big as the tunnel and I always get killed right afterwards by a ghost bubble because I'm unable to move. That's the first thing that I think is unfair.

Edit:
Ok, I finally beat her. I was lucky enough to not get destroyed by that part I mentioned.

To add to this:
the Invincibility super is also applicable for Pacifist runs. After the start-up animation, Cuphead commits to a little hop (even in mid-air) so if you want to maximize distance without touching anything, you could do a normal jump -> smoke bomb dash -> super activation or swap around the last two steps where appropriate. Came in handy towards the end of the first and second run 'n gun stages where big enemies impede your progress right in front of the finish line, for example.
After several tries on some of them, yes. You can use parry, but you can't shoot to kill.

Forest Follies has that acorn launcer in the way, so use the Invincibility Super after jumping.
You'll gain extra air once you activate it, then air dash over it.

Funhouse Frazzle has two wall minibosses in the way. Time yourself and use dash the second one of their mouths open. You'll need the smoke bomb for this to dodge any cars on the first wall. The second one will leave its mouth open for a few seconds when it tries to hit you with its tongue.
Thanks for the info.

Am I missing anything in the Mermaid boss fight?
At the end with that tight tunnel, when that green big ghost appears that can freeze you, how am I supposed to get around this? It's as big as the tunnel and I always get killed right afterwards by a ghost bubble because I'm unable to move. That's the first thing that I think is unfair.

Thanks for the info.

I've not had the chance to try it yet, but I was told in this thread you can roll through it - which I assume means you can "parry" it by rolling through it.
But otherwise I looked ahead, checked where the obstacles were and positioned my ship so I'd not crash into the spiked walls. Not a perfect strategy against the moving skulls though.

robot

The flying boss in World 2 has been my favorite so far. Some of those phases were so well done. Loving the difficulty - a few rounds in and you can dismantle some of these phases without getting touched.

This is easily a top 5 game of the year for me - and one of the best RnG games ever.

JaggedSac

The circus run and gun is a real asshole, lol. My brain cannot handle the trampoline, getting over the walls, and the balloons all at one time.

The flying boss in World 2 has been my favorite so far. Some of those phases were so well done. Loving the difficulty - a few rounds in and you can dismantle some of these phases without getting touched.

This is easily a top 5 game of the year for me - and one of the best RnG games ever.

I think that theme is my favorite in the soundtrack.
But the KO end of it was a big WTF for me.

In the middle of World 3 and the biggest obstacle for me so far is the
Bee Queen's final phase.

Rat Boss
was probably the easiest after a few tries, and had a really fun theme and concept, but had to repeat it a few times to improve my grade to A.

Neoweee

Been watching a bunch of streams.

Enjoy the God-Tier Charge Shot while you can boys.

You should consider dialing up the other weapons, though. I think the game has a big bullet sponge problem that is mitigated only by the good weapons bringing fights down to a more reasonable length of. I've enjoyed the game substantially more after getting the Charge Shot... in World 3.

ParityBit

Depends if you want to play it on Xbox or PC?

I would play both I guess. Mostly PC though. Although I could also play though my SHIELD on my TV. Some people just hate the windows store, so I am wondering if there is a real difference between the 2 versions or not.

You should consider dialing up the other weapons, though. I think the game has a big bullet sponge problem that is mitigated only by the good weapons bringing fights down to a more reasonable length of. I've enjoyed the game substantially more after getting the Charge Shot... in World 3.
I don't really consider being able to borderline skip phases (by only dealing with a single attack if that) to be of "more reasonable length," but that's just me.

Top Bottom