• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Never thought I'd still be thinking about Castlevania: LoS...

Neiteio

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow...

From the first trailer, my mind was writing it off. Looks like generic high fantasy, I thought, seeing the goblins and trolls and ogres. Usually I feel alienated by anything remotely resembling D&D -- swords and sorcery is done to death, the king of clichés, and I just wasn't interested.

Then the GAF hive-mind weighed in, and did what it does best, fixating on the game's faults to the exclusion of all else. There's the occasional aimless wandering, they said, and imprecise platforming that causes cheap deaths. The hit detection is spotty, they claimed, and the Titan battles are poor imitations of Shadow of the Colossus... I read the criticisms and in my mind, the game was diminished.

Still, I needed a Christmas gift for my brother. He's big on the DS Castlevanias, from Dawn of Sorrow to Order of Ecclesia. I knew this was different, but he was smitten with the eight-minute Kojima trailer, so I got him the game.

Come Christmas, I watched him play it... And play it... And play it... Several nights and 12 chapters later, he had finished the game, I had seen the adventure in full -- and I'm still thinking about it.

It's a wonderful game. I'm astounded to say it, but it's true. I can see the basis to every criticism leveled against it. I can see where there's room for improvement. At first the story seemed heavy-handed and over-dramatic. At first, even the HUD seemed overdone. But if ever there was a case of "The game is more than the sum of its parts," this is it. It's SO much more than the sum of its parts.

First, in terms of its creative, I'm surprised how well it all came together. The game feels like a love letter to three distinctly different genres -- high fantasy, horror and weird fiction -- and it executes each of them exceptionally well.

The first third of the game, the Land of the Lycans, is the high fantasy, with fairy-filled glens, haunted hollows, the ruins of ancient civilizations... Werewolves, wargs, goblins, trolls, Titans... Bright colors, a sense of whimsy and wonder.

Then you move to the horror, the Land of the Vampires, from a village and cathedral in a snowy forest, to the flickering candles and ice-glazed corridors of the castle. Here there are corpse-eating ghouls, blood-soaked vampires, a shambling mechanical spider -- stuff far scarier than the magic and monsters of earlier chapters.

The game then takes a turn for the bizarre as you enter the underworld... which I won't describe here for fear of spoilers, but suffice it to say, it's otherworldly.

The thing they all have in common is they're lushly, lovingly rendered, by artists clearly in love with the fictions that inspired them. It's the sort of enthusiasm I can get behind, even if I don't normally share a penchant for, say, D&D. It's infectious, in other words; you can't help but feel like a seven-year-old again, enjoying it all for the sheer badass-ity of the moment.

And there are some beautiful sights, including panoramic shots paralleled only by Uncharted 2. The tracking shot of the flying buttresses of the castle come to mind... There's a great sense of scale, and so much detail, too.

Thinking back on it all, though, it's the variety that's most impressive. You go to so many places... The game has a feeling of fullness to it that I haven't quite experienced since Resident Evil 4. You feel like you've come so far by the time you reach the end. It truly feels like an adventure, as cliché as that sounds.

One fun to play, too. In my experiments with the game (as I mostly watched my brother play), I found the controls tight and responsive. The platforming wasn't as problematic as I had heard, and I played one of the allegedly trickier sections, the clock tower. The combat is delightful, thanks to a masterful magic mechanic where regular hits give you light or shadow magic -- your choice -- and then using light magic restores health with each hit dealt, while shadow magic deals more damage. It's a great risk/reward dynamic: sacrifice magic for health, or risk health for magic.

And the story driving it all, while cliché at first, takes an appreciated turn for the tragic as you get deeper into the game. Gabriel starts as the romanticized knight in shining armor, but thanks to Patrick Stewart's narration in-between chapters, you get a strong sense of Gabriel's growing alienation from his order, his life, even God. There's a beautiful melancholy to the music, too -- Belmont's Theme and Waterfalls of Agharta are two of my favorites.

I guess I don't know where I'm going with all of this, other than to say that if you were deterred from this game by impressions that made it sound less than airtight, or if you were, like me, initially turned off by what appears to be cliché-riddled fantasy -- don't be. Give it a chance. Lose yourself in its warm blanket of detail. You may find Lords of Shadow is a wonderful experience. :)

mjc

I might be seen as being slanted because I have an avatar from it, but I totally agree. Skeptics still wrote it off even after release claiming that it didn't catch the feel of a Castlevania game. IMO they are totally wrong, and the OP does a good job explaining it. The stunning visuals, the solid gameplay, fantastic score, and meaty game length all come together to make a great package. Fans have been crying about Konami not giving Castlevania the budget and time of day it deserved....well there it is.

Foffy

Banned
It reminds me a lot of the N64 title, which I also thought was poopooed on by critics for different reasons than Lords was. Well, the argument of both being 'not Castlevania' is a shared complaint between the two. I do like Lords, moreso than the other 3D titles in fact, but it still hasn't whipped Dracula's Curse, Rondo of Blood, or Symphony of the Night in terms of delicious wall meat eating, whip swinging goodness to me just yet. It's a very good start for true 3D Castlevania games however, and I hope MercurySteam takes the criticisms in mind when making Reverie and Resurrection in the coming months, and the sequel to Lords of Shadow in 2013.

I absolutely agree. I fucking loved the game. The graphics and art blew me away, the variety in locations was also astounding, and definitetly unparalleled this generation. The combat system is precise and fun, and the magic system saves it from becoming boring midgame. The bosses were among the best in the genre, and many of the puzzles were well designed and did not frustrate.

That being said, the Titan fights were fun and visceral (you really felt you were gripping on tight, and stabbing hard) but ultimately drawn out to the point of deterring another playthrough anytime soon. Some of the puzzles were shit due to ambiguity or infinite respawn enemies. Also the game feels a little too long, by the end of the game I just wanted it to end - the land of the dead in particular was cool, but repetitive and drawn out.

Overall the game was stunning, as far as the genre goes I think it outdid the competition with a combination of solid combat, good puzzles, awesome world/journey, great story (the ending is probably the best this year I think) and fantastic voice acting (Gabriel and Pan were brilliant and unique in terms of voice acting).

I am excited for a sequel, very excited.

Foffy said:
It reminds me a lot of the N64 title, which I also thought was poopooed on by critics for different reasons than Lords was. Well, the argument of both being 'not Castlevania' is a shared complaint between the two. I do like Lords, moreso than the other 3D titles in fact, but it still hasn't whipped Dracula's Curse, Rondo of Blood, or Symphony of the Night in terms of delicious wall meat eating, whip swinging goodness to me just yet. It's a very good start for true 3D Castlevania games however, and I hope MercurySteam takes the criticisms in mind when making Reverie and Resurrection in the coming months, and the sequel to Lords of Shadow in 2013.

I think it will be interesting to see if the DLC takes any of the criticisms to heart. Because while I love the game, and as the OP points out, the criticisms are fair and understandable. So if I can love the game even with its shortcomings, I can't imagine what I'd think of one that addresses a lot of them.

Great game. Had it's flaws but not anything that can't be fixed in a sequel with some more polish. The production values, music and VO were top notch, now they just need to get the gameplay to that level and they will have an AAA game. Easily one of my 3 favorite games of the entire year.

WinFonda

I liked it and found it hard to believe it was rated similarly to Enslaved, which is a buggy mess.

It was a good game and I hope they do the sequel.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So great. Many flaws but still one of my favorite games this year and probably this generation for me. Pure... gaming... bliss.

good game. They just need to inject some atmosphere, style and better writing/storytelling in the sequel, because I found LOS soulless and a bit derivative

Jigsaw

Banned
imo the pacing was terrible,it was so slow and boring,it took me 2 months to beat the story

also didn't like the battlesystem,i want to kill my victims fast and brutal,not hitting some shit like a stupid skeleton 50 times before it dies

graphics,music and exploration were top notch though

LiK

Jigsaw said:
imo the pacing was terrible,it was so slow and boring,it took me 2 months to beat the story

also didn't like the battlesystem,i want to kill my victims fast and brutal,not hitting some shit like a stupid skeleton 50 times before it dies

graphics,music and exploration were top notch though

i think the only issue with the pacing was the first two chapters. they were way too long. but everything from Chapter 3 onwards was quite brisk as you're moving from one area to the next.

Grecco

Love the thread. Plan on finishing it soonish. Though i also planned on playing through all the Castlevanias again in order :(

I still think the game is vastly overrated.

It was amateurish in spots, which is not a word I throw around lightly. There are parts of the game where someone went "No, this is good enough," even though it clearly wasn't. That's insulting to me as a gamer.

I've written novellas on where I thought the game let me down and disappointed me, so I am not sure anyone really wants to hear that again. Plus, I am a little tired writing more about the game than the game's writers wrote for it.

It's a game that borders on good with occasional flashes of brilliance, and maybe if I had taken it from that perspective and not listened to the hype, it would have carved out its own place in my heart. But the game I got and the game people seem to think it is seem wildly disparate.

That said, I'll probably still buy the DLC, out of curiosity.

Foffy

Banned
Grecco said:
Love the thread. Plan on finishing it soonish. Though i also planned on playing through all the Castlevanias again in order :(

What order? Release wise or chronologically? The latter would give you some trouble, if only for the 'non-canon' games and spin-offs. :lol

Anasui Kishibe said:
good game. They just need to inject some atmosphere, style and better writing/storytelling in the sequel, because I found LOS soulless and a bit derivative

Storytelling/writing in Castlevania (and other games) is really give or take for me. When playing through this one, I was following the story but I was indifferent to it even being there.

And as technically bad as it is, it's not like some of the other higher-ups in the series has good writing, storytelling or voice acting either. I mean look at Symphony of the Night or Rondo of Blood. I realize that those games didn't try to have a story as prominent as Lords, but Lords still had much better writing and voice acting than anything in the other titles.

Is that saying much? Hardly. But it's the best writing and voice acting that the series has seen up to this point and that's good enough for me. If you ask me, I don't even really need a plot in Castlevania but as long as its at least as decently handled as it is in Lords, whatever.

Lords had great atmosphere too, but considering that much of the game didn't take place in the castle, it's reasonable to see how some would want more Castlevania-ish atmosphere. It still had awesome atmosphere, just of a different type than the series is used to.

ShockingAlberto said:
I still think the game is vastly overrated.

Really? It saw some decent reviews, good in some cases, but it's not winning any awards or making that many top ten lists or anything. I'd hardly call it overrated.

Definitely one of my favorite games of 2010 and this gen even. The variety adds to the adventure. I felt like I was within a Jim Henson meets the Brother's Grimm adventure. So fantastical yet dark and mysterious. Light hearted yet melodramatic.

...and the enemies. It's amazing just how many there are with minimal if any clones.

brandonh83 said:
Really? It saw some decent reviews, good in some cases, but it's not winning any awards or making that many top ten lists or anything. I'd hardly call it overrated.
I am taking a Rotten Tomatoes view to it.

I see more people like that than dislike it, but I don't know how skewed that is because I only run this mental straw poll in the official thread.

brandonh83 said:
Storytelling/writing in Castlevania (and other games) is really give or take for me. When playing through this one, I was following the story but I was indifferent to it even being there.

And as technically bad as it is, it's not like some of the other higher-ups in the series has good writing, storytelling or voice acting either. I mean look at Symphony of the Night or Rondo of Blood. I realize that those games didn't try to have a story as prominent as Lords, but Lords still had much better writing and voice acting than anything in the other titles.

Is that saying much? Hardly. But it's the best writing and voice acting that the series has seen up to this point and that's good enough for me. If you ask me, I don't even really need a plot in Castlevania but as long as its at least as decently handled as it is in Lords, whatever.

Lords had great atmosphere too, but considering that much of the game didn't take place in the castle, it's reasonable to see how some would want more Castlevania-ish atmosphere. It still had awesome atmosphere, just of a different type than the series is used to.

while it's true that story and writing in Castlevania games has basically no importance at all, you'd expect a bit more from a project like LOS where they created incredible looking characters and environments. Not sure if its objectively bad story and writing were overlooked on purpose, i think they tried and they failed

as for atmosphere, what can I tell you? Maybe too much variety killed that feeling for me

george_us

I wasn't as hard on the game because it was very apparent that the game just needed a couple more weeks in the oven. All of the issues I had with it were either technical issues or just general game balance that the MercurySteam didn't have time to fix. Everything else was freaking amazing. The game is just so fucking ambitious that I couldn't help but respect this relatively unknown studio doing what even the big boys shy away from.

Anasui Kishibe said:
while it's true that story and writing in Castlevania games has basically no importance at all, you'd expect a bit more from a project like LOS where they created incredible looking characters and environments. Not sure if its objectively bad story and writing were overlooked on purpose, i think they tried and they failed

Yeah probably. It's not good, it just didn't bother me or grate on my nerves. To be honest, that's all I ask of a videogame plot. :lol

It's like I play through Final Fantasy XIII and then Lords of Shadow feels like Lord of the fuckin' Rings

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I'm about to finish playing it on Paladin Difficulty

Will become my 63rd platinum overall, and my 1st platinum for 2011 ^_^

Great game

~Kinggi~

Banned
I thought the game was fucking great and i hope those spanish basterds make a bunch more games just like it.

It was long. Looked amazing. And had great gameplay. Plus it had vampires and shit.

george_us

Anasui Kishibe said:

as for atmosphere, what can I tell you? Maybe too much variety killed that feeling for me
My only complaint with was the story was a bit confusing at times. Still, Lords of Shadow still had a better story than pretty much any Castlevania before it.

Yes, amazing game, agreed.

Listening to Giant Bomb try to decide 2010's best game ending, I couldn't help but feel bad for them that not one of those guys gave Castlevania the time of day. No idea what they'd missed.

Blast Processing said:
Listening to Giant Bomb try to decide 2010's best game ending, I couldn't help but feel bad for them that not one of those guys gave Castlevania the time of day. No idea what they'd missed.

Eh the ending... :lol

dextran

I'm so glad this game is getting attention. It had the worst bad demo to great game ratio. All these goty lists and top 10s - if they don't include this game they didn't play it.

LiK

Blast Processing said:

indeed.

Neiteio

Blast Processing said:

My brothers and I are still talking about the post-credits epilogue to LoS... First, what a twist, cutting to
modern times
in what appears to be
New York Times Square
. But what has us atwitter is the possibility that Gabriel
ascended into Heaven via the god-mask, ala the founders of the Brotherhood, leaving his dark side behind and becoming a Lord of Shadow in the form of Dracula, with whom Zobek tries to strike a truce at the end
. After all the high fantasy, I was NOT expecting that ending, and I was amazed the game had gone there. It'll be interesting to see the the second of the two DLCs, "Resurrection," as it will apparently explore this development further...

Dever

Banned
soldat7 said:
Still stuck on the Stone Titan. I will beat her!

Those boss fights are the worst parts of the game and could've been cut as far as I'm concerned. Other than that, it's a really cool game even though the plot gets kind of incoherent.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Neiteio said:
My brothers and I are still talking about the post-credits epilogue to LoS... First, what a twist, cutting to
modern times
in what appears to be
New York Times Square
. But what has us atwitter is the possibility that Gabriel
ascended into Heaven via the god-mask, ala the founders of the Brotherhood, leaving his dark side behind and becoming a Lord of Shadow in the form of Dracula, with whom Zobek tries to strike a truce at the end
. After all the high fantasy, I was NOT expecting that ending, and I was amazed the game had gone there. It'll be interesting to see the the second of the two DLCs, "Resurrection," as it will apparently explore this development further...
I am actually going to buy the DLCs. I almost never buy dlcs on Xbox Live.

I got this end of November and stopped playing right before the Spiders appeared (cobweb covered cave on the loading screen was a give-away and I fucking hate spiders, urgh :lol) decided to carry on just the other day and wow, this game is great, I am so glad I persevered. Landed a spot on my top 10 for the year, knocked off Heavy Rain and kept me from starting Fallout: New Vegas, that is the sign of a game I enjoyed the heck out of.

It's downright gorgeous with a pretty fun combat system that from memory seems far deeper than God of War's (haven't played 2 in years and not started 3 yet so can't be sure), it's also only the second Castlevania I've ever played and the first I've finished, played like an hour maybe of Symphony of the Night years ago.

Also, Robert Carlyle and Patrick Stewart as the main voices, so good and that ending was pretty fucking cool.

Ranger X

I've been playing this lately and I think it's a good game even if it doesn't feel like a Castlevania and that I still think it's a poor man's God of War. I never thought I would like the game this much --- and its good looking too :)

Kaldea

I actually loved the story. It was a welcome break from the usual drawn out RPG story and it had its charm. Not to mention that there's just something about Gabriel that really made me care about what happens to him and that aspect really shines through for someone like me. Very few games make me truly care about the main character because there's always something to ruin it along the way. Also, it was just plain fun to play and that always wins to me.

I absolutely loved this game, but to each their own I guess.

Grecco

Foffy said:
What order? Release wise or chronologically? The latter would give you some trouble, if only for the 'non-canon' games and spin-offs. :lol

Was thinking Release wise. Though Chronologically would be more fun.

Ranger X said:
I've been playing this lately and I think it's a good game even if it doesn't feel like a Castlevania and that I still think it's a poor man's God of War. I never thought I would like the game this much --- and its good looking too :)

After being greatly disappointed with GOW3, this game came out and more than made up for it, personally speaking. For me, GOW3 was pretty but short, and when it was over it didn't leave any impression on me other than "wow what a shitty final third."

Yeah, some didn't like the direction Castlevania went in
after the castle
but at least it kept changing up the environments and atmosphere.

LiK

Ranger X said:

the game isn't as polished or as technically impressive as GoW3 but the combat and controls were better imo. more precise and the amount of moves you can unlock are insane.

Neiteio

Man, the whole time I was playing through the castle section of this game, I kept marveling at its beauty and thinking of two things: I need to re-read Bram Stoker's "Dracula," and how badly I'd love to have a horror game set in a castle of such caliber. :)

ZeroRay

I agree that the game has many flaws but I really, really liked it.

My favorite thing is that it honestly felt like 3 different games in one due to the change in tone and setting for each Lord of Shadow you hunted.

The game became more annoying as you went on, I had high hopes after the first reveal, was stoked to play it but it never got better. It was a flatline experience, I started to despise it near the end and couldn`t finish it. Overstayed its welcome by a long shot.

hamchan

Finished it a few days ago and absolutely loved it. I thought the end was hilariously cheesy in a good way, both before the final battle to after the credits.

Top Bottom