• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
iNvidious01 said:
your d14 fans will always run at max speed because they're 3pin and the mobo needs 4pin for voltage control. you wont be able to change the speed but its so damn quiet dont really need to. i have the exact same setup. you could attach the extra cables which lowers speed to 900rpm (down from 1300rpm) if you want.
I have one on the attached to the cpu fan controller and one attached to a molex with variable fan speed thing on it.

I also have the desk space to keep my computer flat. My cats also like to jump around on shit, so i dont want it tipping over.

u8xBX.jpg

Time to start building. :)

rc213

Shambles said:
The K processor has the faster HD3000 integrated graphics and it allows overclocking.
H67 motherboards allow you to use the integrated graphics
P67 motherboards allow you to overclock

You cannot at this time get the K processor, overclock it, AND use the integrated graphics on it as well.

Ok, That sounds fine. I'm not looking to overclock at all. Any issues between the cpu/mobo and the memory? It's pretty basic stuff but their seem to be like 4+ different 1333mhz DDR3 on newegg which can get confusing.

Good luck on the build, BloodySinner.

opticalmace said:
What am I looking at here? /curious
The cream colored sticks are rubber sound dampeners for mounting your fans without screws. The cable is an in-line restrictor. You can get them in different voltages to slow down your fans without using a fan controller, or your motherboard.

I ordered a few units and the particular PC that they went into has three 2,000rpm intakes. Talk about loud.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Anybody own/tried out pci-express SSDs? Like the OCZ revodrive. Whats their deal? SSDs on a pci-e card running in raid 0? Are they "plug and play" ?

that 1gb/s writespeed has me drooling. Although something tells me it's better to wait until these get cheaper.

AEREC

Just built a new setup with:

Intel i7-870
EVGA Intel P55 SLI motherboard
8gb Samsung RAM
EVGA GTX 460 SE 1GB
Corsair 750 Watt PSU
Cooler Master Tower Case

Im pretty happy with it so far and can finally run Crysis at a mostly consistent 30fps on High settings.

Kinda bummed I still cant run Metro 2033 maxxed out at 1680x1050 at at least 30 fps)...but I think when battlefield 3 comes out hopefully the price on the 580's will come down a bit and I can SLI them and move the 460 to the PhysX slot (currently my old 9800GT 1GB is the physx card).

SteveO409 said:
http://www.tested.com/news/how-to-build-a-future-proof-1500-gaming-pc/2003/

Tested just did a thorough "How to" video on building a PC. I never built a PC before so looking forward to it...my ATI 3800 card and duo core 2 processor is starting to run latest games on low now lol

For someone looking to build their first PC, I'm gobbling these vids up like crazy. Very informative, especially since they used a lot of the same parts I'm looking to use.

Do you guys think the GTX460 is going to be able to run BF3 at 1680x1050 near max or am I looking at needing to upgrade my card a little over a year in. >.<

I'm thinking it will okay, but I understand it's hard to speculate at this point.

AEREC said:

Intel i7-870
8gb Samsung RAM
EVGA GTX 460 SE 1GB
Corsair 750 Watt PSU
Cooler Master Tower Case

Im pretty happy with it so far and can finally run Crysis at a mostly consistent 30fps on High settings.

Kinda bummed I still cant run Metro 2033 maxxed out at 1680x1050 at at least 30 fps)...but I think when battlefield 3 comes out hopefully the price on the 580's will come down a bit and I can SLI them and move the 460 to the PhysX slot (currently my old 9800GT 1GB is the physx card).
That's your problem right there. You know the SE is basically slower than the 460 768mb card right?

TheExodu5

Banned
Get the H70 if you need to save space above the CPU. It's nearly on par with the top air coolers, but tends to be a little louder, mostly because of the pump.

TheExodu5

Banned
AEREC said:

Intel i7-870
8gb Samsung RAM
EVGA GTX 460 SE 1GB
Corsair 750 Watt PSU
Cooler Master Tower Case

Just FYI, you won't be able to run SLI GTX 580 + PhysX on that PSU.

I suggest you wait on the next generation of cards to upgrade. Hopefully they're out by the time BF3 is out.

Corky said:
Anybody own/tried out pci-express SSDs? Like the OCZ revodrive. Whats their deal? SSDs on a pci-e card running in raid 0? Are they "plug and play" ?

that 1gb/s writespeed has me drooling. Although something tells me it's better to wait until these get cheaper.
Wait until SataIII ssd are more prevalent. Some i have heard had boot problems.

I've been thinking about doing some upgrades for a while, my processor is kind of old and wasn't that impressive when I got it but I honestly don't know when I need to upgrade that. Mostly I'm wondering if I could get a midrange video card and see enough of a performance boost over what I've got to hold me over for another year or if I should just start looking at doing a whole new unit.

Right now I have a
Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00ghz
6gb ram
EAH 4850 512mb
Probably worth mentioning I'm on a 500w psu.
Also worth mentioning that this a living room computer and is using a tv for a monitor, so everything runs on a pretty low resolution which has allowed me to run things a lot better than I have any right to.

Is there a video card that would really be worth it for me? Like a 6950 or something? Would I need a new psu? I don't know anything :(

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
TheExodu5 said:

I suggest you wait on the next generation of cards to upgrade. Hopefully they're out by the time BF3 is out.
I'll be happy as long as something is out by next income tax season. I will be able to go more crazy.

Corky

Krauser Kat said:
Wait until SataIII ssd are more prevalent.
Yeah gonna leave out an SSD in my upcoming build and add one when the time is right.

AEREC

opticalmace said:
That's your problem right there. You know the SE is basically slower than the 460 768mb card right?

I should be able to overclock it to the 460 768mb speeds right? I mean the highest Ive seen this card get temp wise is 42c.

AEREC

TheExodu5 said:

Is it not enough power or too few video card power connectors...I think it had 4 actually =(

AEREC said:
I should be able to overclock it to the 460 768mb speeds right? I mean the highest Ive seen this card get temp wise is 42c.
Yeah you can OC it, though if you can I would suggest just returning it and spending a bit more for a better card. But YMMV, especially if you're only gaming at 1680x1050?

AEREC said:
Is it not enough power or too few video card power connectors...I think it had 4 actually =(
Not enough power. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4012/nvidias-geforce-gtx-580-the-sli-update

AEREC

opticalmace said:
Yeah you can OC it, though if you can I would suggest just returning it and spending a bit more for a better card. But YMMV, especially if you're only gaming at 1680x1050?

Not enough power. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4012/nvidias-geforce-gtx-580-the-sli-update

I guess Ill keep it and try OCing it later...I wanted the 1Gb of Vram for GTA4 and that texture patch for DA2.

Bummer on the SLI+PhysX power thing....I guess Ill just get one 580 or equivalent later this year, not too big of deal I guess.

AEREC said:
I guess Ill keep it and try OCing it later...I wanted the 1Gb of Vram for GTA4 and that texture patch for DA2.

Bummer on the SLI+PhysX power thing....I guess Ill just get one 580 or equivalent later this year, not too big of deal I guess.
What resolution is your monitor?

mkenyon

Banned
black_vegeta said:
That heatsink is a beast.

Yeah, anyone have the Corsair H70 and have any opinions on it? Been thinking about doing that instead of getting a beast sized heatsink.
black_vegeta said:
Oh ok. The weight was one thing I was worried about.

Also, one thing about the water cooling is the fear of leaks. Last thing I need to have the fluid leak on my mobo and ruin it. :/
I wrote a post about this on the previous page. Basically, it's not worth the extra money. You do run the added risk of it leaking, although corsair has covered every instance of that happening (from what I've heard) 100%. The risk is very, very low. You're better off with an air cooler, unless for some reason you just don't have the space for it.

TheExodu5 said:
Get the H70 if you need to save space above the CPU. It's nearly on par with the top air coolers, but tends to be a little louder, mostly because of the pump.
Agreed 100%. The pump is a pretty terrible one at that, I've heard of it failing often enough to give me pause.

The_Inquisitor said:
Do you guys think the GTX460 is going to be able to run BF3 at 1680x1050 near max or am I looking at needing to upgrade my card a little over a year in. >.<

I'm thinking it will okay, but I understand it's hard to speculate at this point.
Nope, no way.

Aquavelvaman said:
I've been thinking about doing some upgrades for a while, my processor is kind of old and wasn't that impressive when I got it but I honestly don't know when I need to upgrade that. Mostly I'm wondering if I could get a midrange video card and see enough of a performance boost over what I've got to hold me over for another year or if I should just start looking at doing a whole new unit.

Right now I have a
Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00ghz
6gb ram
EAH 4850 512mb
Probably worth mentioning I'm on a 500w psu.
Also worth mentioning that this a living room computer and is using a tv for a monitor, so everything runs on a pretty low resolution which has allowed me to run things a lot better than I have any right to.

Is there a video card that would really be worth it for me? Like a 6950 or something? Would I need a new psu? I don't know anything :(

If you want to squeeze some extra life out of your system, you could certainly upgrade to something like a 460gtx, 6870, or 560/6950 if you want to spend a bit more. It will certainly improve your performance in a lot of games. You could then keep that card, and upgrade the rest of your system once you have enough money to do so. You'll see more of a performance gain on a good card than overhauling the system to sandybridge and not as good of a card.

mkenyon said:
I wrote a post about this on the previous page. Basically, it's not worth the extra money. You do run the added risk of it leaking, although corsair has covered every instance of that happening (from what I've heard) 100%. The risk is very, very low. You're better off with an air cooler, unless for some reason you just don't have the space for it.

Agreed 100%. The pump is a pretty terrible one at that, I've heard of it failing often enough to give me pause.

Alright, about as equal as decent air coolers. The pump/waterflow on them sucks, so they don't have near the performance of a proper water cooling setup. The positive thing is that they barely take up any room, as you can just mount them to a fan bracket. The negative thing is that there is a very slight chance that it'll bust and pour water all over your system. Corsair will cover all of it, but that means you'll be out of a system for a little bit. It is very very rare that it happens, but it is an added risk nonetheless.

Thanks for your opinion. Beast cooler it is. I'm learning so much from this thread. Thanks for the help guys! <3

Edit: The Noctua D14 is the same price as the H70, nice. I'll be shopping around for some other coolers as well. *reading review*

mkenyon

Banned
You don't really need a beast cooler unless you're looking at OC'ing for the sake of OC'ing (which if you are, *high five*). If its for gaming, you'd be better served by something less expensive like a 212+, V6GT, or even the Thermaltake Jing.

mkenyon said:
You don't really need a beast cooler unless you're looking at OC'ing for the sake of OC'ing (which if you are, *high five*). If its for gaming, you'd be better served by something less expensive like a 212+, V6GT, or even the Thermaltake Jing.

OC'ing yes. Now, I thought OC'ing was for the purpose of making gaming running better???

What in the hell in OC'ing for then? Showboating high numbers?

Corky

black_vegeta said:
Thanks for your opinion. Beast cooler it is. I'm learning so much from this thread. Thanks for the help guys! <3

Edit: The Noctua D14 is the same price as the H70, nice. I'll be shopping around for some other coolers as well. *reading review*

keep me updated :D, cuz I'm in the same seat.

It seems that the noctua is 99% given for me at the moment, the only thing that can ruin my shit is in case it turns out it wont fint in an fractal R3 for example.

black_vegeta said:
OC'ing yes. Now, I thought OC'ing was for the purpose of making gaming running better???

What in the hell in OC'ing for then? Showboating high numbers?
Presumably he means you're not trying to OC it to the ultimate limit, but instead reach a happy medium for longevity (i.e. good temp) and performance.

Corky

Krauser Kat said:
I have an asus p8p67 standard as you can see in the picture. First thing is to lock your BCLK to 100. any overclocking of this number will severly limit the life of your processor. If you do the auto overclock it actually raises this. So lock that to 100. set your bios to manual and turn turbo mode on. Set your turbo multiplier to 44-46 and leave everything else auto. Let your system boot and then restart it. See what the current setting are and switch to manual for your voltage and start dropping it down bit by bit to see what your lowest stable voltage is. The lower this is the better off your cpu will be in the long run. switch your load line to high. everything else should be good to go mostly, you can get a finer tune but that will put you in the right direction.

missed this earlier last post ftl. Anyways cheers mate, it's gonna be a blast OCing again. I had quite a good time ( and results ) when overclocking my i5-760.

mkenyon

Banned
opticalmace said:
Presumably he means you're not trying to OC it to the ultimate limit, but instead reach a happy medium for longevity (i.e. good temp) and performance.
Ding! Yes, people do OC just to push tech to the limits as a game in and of itself. Some of it might be for showboating, but for the folks I know it's curiosity and the desire to tweak.

There's no reason for the insano Noctua unless you're looking at pushing your proc to it's ultimate limits on an air cooler.

opticalmace said:

mkenyon said:
Ding! Yes, people do OC just to push tech to the limits as a game in and of itself. Some of it might be for showboating, but for the folks I know it's curiosity and the desire to tweak.

There's no reason for the insano Noctua unless you're looking at pushing your proc to it's ultimate limits on an air cooler.

I see. Thanks once again.

Corky

mkenyon said:

random question, how easy ( probable ) is it to reach 5ghz with a SB cpu on that cooler. Is it even doable?

Corky said:
random question, how easy ( probable ) is it to reach 5ghz with a SB cpu on that cooler. Is it even doable?
On a Nocuta NH-D14? Very easy. As far as thermals go, you can hit that with a far less capable cooler. Only thing holding you back would be willing/capable components.

Corky

·feist· said:
On a Nocuta NH-D14? Very easy. As far as thermals go, you can hit that with a far less capable cooler. Only thing holding you back would be willing/capable components.

oooh I see, this is getting mighty interesting. :D:D

I'm reading that you should ( must ? ) go with 1.5v ram on SB setups, whereas 1.65v could ( will ? ) damage your gear somehow. Correct/False?

Nah, plenty of people are running 1.65v without issue. It's more a matter of overall compatibility that 1.5v seems to be a safer bet, just in case.

mkenyon

Banned
Corky said:

No prob. I've personally overclocked a SB 2600K to 5ghz stable with a Corsair H50 in just a push configuration (meaning one fan, pushing air out). Was on ASUS's RoG Maximus IV demo rig at a LAN. Easy peasy.

JWong

Banned
Ugh, had a problem installing my PSU.

Plug everything in, won't start. Asked my techie friend to check it out. He sees nothing wrong, unplugs it, tries my old PSU, works, unplugs that, tries my new psu, works.

Did nothing different.

What a headache. Now I need a good game to show off.

Omiee

posting pics tomorrow when everything arrives, i do have a question.
what is the best way to spray the inside of my case black?

Not sure if this will be a new Cooler Master Silencio when released, but this "Project Silent M" sample they showed could be a good option in the ~$100 case range. Looks to be more Fractal Design Define R3, than Antec Sonata.

Hot swap external SSD/HDD dock, card reader, USB3.0, foam and 800rpm fans.

355UV.jpg
hMIq2.jpg

2gdnI.jpg
QkUeb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom