• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
mkenyon said:
Mechanical keyboard!!!! No reason to skimp there if you're dumping this kind of money on a build. It will change your whole experience.

Still think you should buy a 6950 or 570, put the money in the bank and upgrade the vid card when necessary.

I did actually have a look at the mech keyboards on the site I'm gonna orderfrom and the cheapest one was like 120$, which they didn't even have in store :(

Also, on the subject of 570/6950, I have thought and calculated like a madman and the 580 fits my needs for now.

Cheech

BloodySinner said:
Looking at some of the builds here...

I find myself questioning the GTX 460. I feel left out. Should have bought the 580! :(

Don't second guess yourself. That 460 is a great card, and will last you awhile.

By the time that card needs an upgrade, a $150 will pound the crap out of the current crop of $400-$500 cards.

Keeping bleeding edge current on PC hardware is a fool's errand.

yamo

Thinking of building a new pc, I want a small case as I might use it as htpc aswell. The graphics card and psu is already in my current rig and I will move them to his new case, but I added them in the list anyways that you can see what i'm going to use.

Any comments appreciated as this will be the first pc I build myself.

pc_build.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
Cheech said:
Don't second guess yourself. That 460 is a great card, and will last you awhile.

By the time that card needs an upgrade, a $150 will pound the crap out of the current crop of $400-$500 cards.

Keeping bleeding edge current on PC hardware is a fool's errand.
Again, it depends on your wants. To me, a GTX 460 just isn't enough for the performance I want. Hell, even a GTX 580 isn't enough. Until I can run any game I want with maximum eye candy at 1080p, it wont be enough...and let me tell you, we're nowhere near having a single card run something like Metro that fast.

Of course, most people really don't care about having that level of performance. If you're a first time PC gamer, a GTX 460 will still seem ridiculously powerful coming from the console space.

I have a lot of experience in the PC space, and I realize my needs keep evolving. Hell, after I get Metro 2033 running at 60fps, I'll probably move to a 1600p monitor and want something faster again, or I'll start forcing super sampling, or I'll go 120Hz, or I'll go triple monitor. It's easy to spend GPU performance if you're creative.

TheExodu5

Banned
iNvidious01 said:
wait for EVGA's 580 3GB version, should be here soon.
3GB should only really be a selling point if you're running two cards and triple monitors. No games really pass 1.5GB yet, even at 1600p, and by the time they do, you'll want something faster. Expect a $100-$200 premium on the 3GB model. Demand is quite high, given the current supply.

I think I may do some fiddling with my current build, depending on whether or not I can sell some existing gear.

I would sell my HAF X case and both GTX 570, and get a single Asus DirectCu II GTX 580 and Fractal Define R3 (if it fits).

I underestimated how much of a pain it is to bring the HAF X to LANs.

sk3tch

Ended up reverting back to my original BIOS on my MSI HD R6950...the shader unlock only was creating artifacts, even when I put it back to stock speeds. Ah well. I am hoping nothing permanent happened as I have read that sometimes the VRAM is permanently affected. UGH. So far everything looks good. No artifacts.

It's weird, Furmark would show no artifacts and look perfect but it was my desktop that was getting all artifact-y (browsers, etc.).

EDIT: I did not try adjusting the voltage (it was still at stock 1.1v after the shader unlock process that I used here: http://www.overclock.net/ati/923129-hd-6950-810-1250-mhz-shader.html) - you think I should re-flash and try upping the voltage to 6970 levels? What will help me adjust voltage? Afterburner?

mkenyon

Banned
hongesagatame said:
Thinking of building a new pc, I want a small case as I might use it as htpc aswell. The graphics card and psu is already in my current rig and I will move them to his new case, but I added them in the list anyways that you can see what i'm going to use.

pc_build.jpg

Looks rockin man. I almost did the same build a month ago :p

Corky

iNvidious01 said:
wait for EVGA's 580 3GB version, should be here soon.

I'm not sure if this was aimed for me but I only play at 1080p so 1.5gb should be plenty

Corky

hongesagatame said:

pc_build.jpg

Are you aware that that motherboard is the H-series? Have you planned on doing any overclocking? ( I assume so, since you bought a K-cpu )

So I currently have two 4870 1gbs (crossfire). I'm going to upgrade my CPU when Ivy Bridge rolls around (currently on an e8500 still).

If I were to sell the 4870s (worth about $70 each right now, based on craigslist), and upgrade to a 6950 (hopefully flashed to a 6970), would I see a performance increase? Would this make any sense?

I'm not particularly happy with how crossfire has worked out, and it wouldn't cost too much extra to upgrade if I were to sell these.

Then again, maybe I should just wait it out until later in the year... Any thoughts?

hongesagatame said:

pc_build.jpg
Get the 650HX instead. With such a small case and a non-modular PSU you literally will have no airflow. Also if you are using Newegg they are running a combo on a Corsair 650HX + XMS DDR3 memory. Save yourself a little dough. -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.612802

sk3tch

sk3tch said:
Ended up reverting back to my original BIOS on my MSI HD R6950...the shader unlock only was creating artifacts, even when I put it back to stock speeds. Ah well. I am hoping nothing permanent happened as I have read that sometimes the VRAM is permanently affected. UGH. So far everything looks good. No artifacts.

It's weird, Furmark would show no artifacts and look perfect but it was my desktop that was getting all artifact-y (browsers, etc.).

EDIT: I did not try adjusting the voltage (it was still at stock 1.1v after the shader unlock process that I used here: http://www.overclock.net/ati/923129-hd-6950-810-1250-mhz-shader.html) - you think I should re-flash and try upping the voltage to 6970 levels? What will help me adjust voltage? Afterburner?

Quoting myself. Heh.

Anyway, grabbed techpowerup's RBE and also downloaded the default MSI HD R6950 BIOS from them. Modded that using RBE to unlock shaders and set voltage to 1.175. All is well now...so far. Heh. Wheee. Reminds me of the old Celeron 300A days. :)

EDIT: damn...looks like this card won't take to the shader unlock. I am back to stock. Hoping there is no perm. damage.

akmcbroom said:
Yea, maybe it's just the last couple pages, seems the R3 is on everybody's build list.

Don't blame em though, it's a good case.
If you look at it, the Define has had virtually no competition at its ~$100 pricepoint. That's changing, though. After Fractal Design was influenced by cases like Antec's P18x, and P19x, while many of their competitors were going with increasingly OTT designs, some of those same companies are now following suit. Simple design, inexpensive, midtower with sound dampening built in. We've already had the new Cooler Master Silencio/Silent M/"Project Silent M", and now NZXT is joining the party.

NZXT H2 Review
http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/nzxt_h2_review,1.html

NZXT Classic Series H2 Silent PC Case Review
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1574/1/

NZXT H2 Silent PC Case - PAX East 2011 - BWOne.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wloZAdgdYes

NZXT H2 Introduction Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1UXDpAhBJo

NZXT H2 - SweClockers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPspt-5IeLE

NZXT H2 Silent Midi Tower - CasekingTV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P88DtnURsug

52Au7.jpg
fAbdc.jpg
yT19K.jpg

JNbYi.jpg
IPS0D.jpg

yamo

mkenyon said:
Looks rockin man. I almost did the same build a month ago :p

Cheers :)

Corky said:
Are you aware that that motherboard is the H-series? Have you planned on doing any overclocking? ( I assume so, since you bought a K-cpu )

I know absolutely nothing about motherboards tbh, thats part of why i'm asking here! :)
So whats special about the H-series and is it impossible to overclock? Not that I had really planned to do any overclocking anyway but I suppose it's nice to have the option.

Outdoor Miner said:
Get the 650HX instead. With such a small case and a non-modular PSU you literally will have no airflow. Also if you are using Newegg they are running a combo on a Corsair 650HX + XMS DDR3 memory. Save yourself a little dough. -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.612802

Already got the psu in my current rig, planning to move it to this new one. Suppose it might be tight with all the cables though. :(

hongesagatame said:

I know absolutely nothing about motherboards tbh, thats part of why i'm asking here! :)
So whats special about the H-series and is it impossible to overclock? Not that I had really planned to do any overclocking anyway but I suppose it's nice to have the option.
Intel, being Intel, decided to put some severe artificial limitations on their CPUs and motherboards. The H61 and H67 can barely overclock. If you think that might possibly want to increase your CPU performance down the line, you would need a P67 model, or the new Z68.

hongesagatame said:
Already got the psu in my current rig, planning to move it to this new one. Suppose it might be tight with all the cables though. :(
If you aren't happy with things once the PC is built, you could always opt for a SFF PSU, so that you'd have more room and airflow in that enclosure.

Corky

hongesagatame said:

Well I'm not sure about all the intricacies, but in essence the Hseries barely let's you overclock whereas the P-series are the ones "made" for those 2500k/2600k processors. And to be honest, overclocking a cpu is simply amazing, you'll go from 3.3 or w/e the stock is to like 4.3 ghz wihout even breaking a sweat.

TheExodu5

Banned
Alright. I'm ordering a Define R3 and dumping my HAF X. I figure I'll just make the swap when I get my B3 motherboard. I only paid $140 for my HAF X, so I should be able to get most of my money out of it.

I'll try to sell off at least 1 570. If I sell them both off, then I'll get the Asus GTX 580.

Edit: and as I say that, it looks like the Define R3 is no longer available in Canada. WTF.

yamo

·feist· said:
Intel, being Intel, decided to put some severe artificial limitations on their CPUs and motherboards. The H61 and H67 can barely overclock. If you think that might possibly want to increase your CPU performance down the line, you would need a P67 model, or the new Z68.

Corky said:
Well I'm not sure about all the intricacies, but in essence the Hseries barely let's you overclock whereas the P-series are the ones "made" for those 2500k/2600k processors. And to be honest, overclocking a cpu is simply amazing, you'll go from 3.3 or w/e the stock is to like 4.3 ghz wihout even breaking a sweat.

Is there any motherboard with the Mini-ITX form factor that will let me overclock? Or do I have to get a bigger case?

TheExodu5 said:
Alright. I'm ordering a Define R3 and dumping my HAF X. I figure I'll just make the swap when I get my B3 motherboard. I only paid $140 for my HAF X, so I should be able to get most of my money out of it.

I'll try to sell off at least 1 570. If I sell them both off, then I'll get the Asus GTX 580.

Edit: and as I say that, it looks like the Define R3 is no longer available in Canada. WTF.

Yeah, it was pretty strange, I think I bought the last one for my buddy from NCIX the other week :p

hongesagatame said:
Is there any motherboard with the Mini-ITX form factor that will let me overclock? Or do I have to get a bigger case?
At the moment there are only a small handful of P67-based mATX boards like Asus' P8P67-M and P8P67-M PRO.

Gigabyte has teased an mITX P67, but P67 and Z68 mITX is going to take a while to flesh out. Companies have show Z68 mATXs, but those are still slowly emerging.

TheExodu5 said:

http://www.canadapost.ca/shopper/items/3602594/Fractal-Design-Define-R3-DEFINER3SILVER

??? Dunno if this helps

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
mkenyon said:
Mechanical keyboard!!!! No reason to skimp there if you're dumping this kind of money on a build. It will change your whole experience.

Still think you should buy a 6950 or 570, put the money in the bank and upgrade the vid card when necessary.
Is there a mechanical keyboard that doesn't look like something you pulled out from a time capsule? I do love my clickies, but they are usually unconfortable as fuck (not to mention an eyesore).

yamo

·feist· said:
At the moment there are only a small handful of P67-based mATX boards like Asus' P8P67-M and P8P67-M PRO.

Gigabyte has teased an mITX P67, but P67 and Z68 mITX is going to take a while to flesh out. Companies have show Z68 mATXs, but those are still slowly emerging.

http://www.canadapost.ca/shopper/items/3602594/Fractal-Design-Define-R3-DEFINER3SILVER

??? Dunno if this helps

Can I use the mATX boards in the Lian Li casing even though it's specified as Mini-ITX, and will that allow me to overclock? Sorry for all the questions but this is a quite confusing for me! :)

Big thanks for all the help so far.

scogoth

mkenyon said:
They also have the least expensive mechanical keyboard. Unfortunately, it's USB only and not a PS/2 connector. From what I understand though, the way they group the keys really minimizes the chances of something going wrong.

I pretty sure the Black Widow has n-key rollover for the fps cluster. Thats the keyboard I have now and haven't had any issues with it. Only downside is the the audio ports and usb port are on the right side of the keyboard which doesn't make sense to me since most people use a mouse right handed.

Corky

TheExodu5 said:
Sadly they don't have automated online ordering. I sent them an email inquiring about a c.o.d. order...it's my last hope.

yay we're gonna be casebuddies :3

/homoerotic brofist

hongesagatame said:
Can I use the mATX boards in the Lian Li casing even though it's specified as Mini-ITX, and will that allow me to overclock? Sorry for all the questions but this is a quite confusing for me! :)

Big thanks for all the help so far.
No, unfortunately. If you wanted to stick with an mITX that can overclock, you'd need to go with an older Core i3/i5/i7 on an H55 board,or an AMD option that supports their older CPUs as well.

Otherwise, you either have to wait it out for newer, OC-capable mITXs from Intel/AMD, or switch over to an mATX board if you want to OC now with a newer Core i5/i7. There are some great mATX enclosure options in that case.

TheExodu5 said:
Sadly they don't have automated online ordering. I sent them an email inquiring about a c.o.d. order...it's my last hope.
TheExodu5 said:
If I can actually get one. :(
There's always that 650D deal I was mentioning...

·feist· said:
TheExodu5: I know you love your HAF, but if you or any other Canada GAF members are in the market for the 650D, you can buy it for a lot less than it costs in other countries.

Corsair Obsidian Series 650D - $157.50
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11180AC4329&vpn=CC650DW&manufacture=CORSAIR

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/21/67024520.jpg
Even has 2 GTX 570s in that pic.

Nitemare1

Quick question that I'm sure has already been answered a few times so sorry.. but what should I use to benchmark my system when it arrives in a couple of days. whats the standard everyone is using?

yamo

·feist· said:
No, unfortunately. If you wanted to stick with an mITX that can overclock, you'd need to go with an older Core i3/i5/i7 on an H55 board,or an AMD option that supports their older CPUs as well.

Otherwise, you either have to wait it out for newer, OC-capable mITXs from Intel/AMD, or switch over to an mATX board if you want to OC now with a newer Core i5/i7. There are some great mATX enclosure options in that case.

Thanks alot once again, much clearer now. :)

Shambles

TheExodu5 said:

Heh, I haven't seen substantial stock up here at all. Blame the yankees :p Stay strong and wait out for the inevitable R3 USB3 update that will have to eventually happen. Any day now cases will start realizing it's 2011, any day now...

Corky

Wait wait, what's all this about the gtx 580 getting a priceslash the 24th ( the day of the 590 ) release? Anybody else heard about this? I think I read it somewhere on the HardOCP forums

I was just about to order my 580 but now I'm fucked up :(...

Vyer

Sweet, local Fry's had the revised Asus p67 boards in so I picked one up. I need some recommendations from here. So far I have

i5 2500K
Asus P8P67 MB
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD
Rosewill WindKnight case

Still need the RAM, power supply, BR drive and graphics card. I'm looking to spend under 200 for the card, and under 100 each for the RAM and power supply. Suggestions?

Corky

DeadRockstar said:
Wouldn't that just make the 590 price seem even worse?

yeah xD, so I'm not sure if this is bogus or that the 590 is actually going to be "cheap"

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
NGZ03.jpg

Got my Define R3 case in the mail today. I'm not building until May, so I was going to let it sit there and open it in a couple months as a surprise. Luckily, I changed my mind because when I opened the box, I found that the front panel had been completely sheared off! There were plastic shards all over the place. Pretty bummed, and now I have to send it back to Newegg.

I do like the case though. Love the design, the titanium gray front is slick, and the interior is a beautiful black with white accents. I spent about 100X more time picking out a case than all the other components combined. Happy with this one, now I just need one that isn't broken :)

Kenka

For überfuck's sake : I was stupid enough to go and get my build components in the factory myself. With no car whatsoever, I just fucking broke my back carrying all the stuff by myself.

The result : I don't dare to turn the power on since all my power supply cabling was guesstimate : I just plugged whatever was inside with the right soket and that's it. I should add also that my HDD is linked to my mobo via a SATA cable with small head and to my power supply with a big SATA cable head. I just don't know if this is correct :(

All in all, I am frustrated and worried. Also, was it a good choice to go for the LE version of the P8P67 motherboard ? Wll it hinder further overclocking ? I should also add that I bought a i3-2100 and planned to upgrade to an Ivy Bridge processor later on (2013-2014) on the same motherboard.

Shambles

Kenka said:
For überfuck's sake : I was stupid enough to go and get my build components in the factory myself. With no car whatsoever, I just fucking broke my back carrying all the stuff by myself.

The result : I don't dare to turn the power on since all my power supply cabling was guesstimate : I just plugged whatever was inside with the right soket and that's it. I should add also that my HDD is linked to my mobo via a SATA cable with small head and to my power supply with a big SATA cable head. I just don't know if this is correct :(

All in all, I am frustrated and worried. Also, was it a good choice to go for the LE version of the P8P67 motherboard ? Wll it hinder further overclocking ? I should also add that I bought a i3-2100 and planned to upgrade to an Ivy Bridge processor later on (2013-2014) on the same motherboard.

There should be two connections to the motherboard, one to the hard drive, one or two to the GPU depending on how many the GPU takes and the PSU should be plugged into the wall. Each additional optical drive or hard drive will need it's own power connection as well.

The motherboard connections involve one 20/24 pin connection (The widest cable coming off the PSU) and also a 4/8 pin connection that powers the CPU and is usually located near the CPU socket. Both the 4/8 and 20/24 pin power connections probably have a detachable segment of 4 pins to switch between the two sizes. I'm guessing the motherboard probably has a 24 pin MB connection and a 4 pin CPU connection but I'd have to see it to know for sure. The connection(s) to the GPU should be labelled PCIE and will exist either as 6 pin or 6/8pin connection(s). And yes, the SATA power connectors will be wider than the SATA connections themselves.

Here's a video of a build going veeery slow, you might find it useful.

Kenka said:

Read the manuals? You shouldn't be scared to power on your computer.

knitoe

Think, I found my new PC. Wanted something iPad like, but can still run full Windows programs.

Asus EP121: $1099

Product Features:
12.1" WSVGA (1280x800) Capacitive LED Touchscreen; Pen or Finger Touch; Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Operating System
Intel Core i5-470UM CPU; 4GB of DDR3 1333MHz SDRAM, 1x4GB; 1 slot, 4GB Max; Intel HD Graphics
64GB Solid State Drive; Wireless 802.11bgn; Bluetooth 3.0; 2.0MP Webcam; Internal Speaker; Internal Microphone
Mini HDMI Port; 2 USB 2.0 ports; 2-in-1 Card Reader (SD & MMC);
Includes Digitizer Pen; Folio Case; Bluetooth Keyboard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyG-g_J-psc

PR-ASUS-Eee-Slate-EP121-1.jpg

The only negative is ~4hr battery life, but it's kinda expect since it's running dual core i5. Probably going to have to spend another $150 for a Energizer XP18000 Rechargeable Power Pack to extend battery life to 8+hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom