• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "Fable 3 PC comes out on May 17th and nobody cares" thread |OT|

Snuggler said:
There are no complete changes.

I only played some of Fable 2 on a friend's Xbox, and it seemed drastically different to me. On the other hand, I played the first game on PC so that may have something to do with it. Still, unless everything I know about the last two games is wrong, I'd still say the changes are significant.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I only played some of Fable 2 on a friend's Xbox, and it seemed drastically different to me. On the other hand, I played the first game on PC so that may have something to do with it. Still, unless everything I know about the last two games is wrong, I'd still say the changes are significant.

Well, I've played a shitload of all three on my own systems and yes, there are some changes, but it's definitely a series that hasn't evolved much. LH have made some additions, but all three are essentially the same game. F1->F2 was a sequel sized leap but if anything F3 was a step backwards. I personally won't be interested in the series again until they really try something new. The Fable routine and gameplay is tired.

I just noticed the subtle change in the thread title. :lol
Snuggler said:
Well, I've played a shitload of all three on my own systems and yes, there are some changes, but it's definitely a series that hasn't evolved much. LH have made some additions, but all three are essentially the same game. F1->F2 was a sequel sized leap but if anything F3 was a step backwards. I personally won't be interested in the series again until they really try something new. The Fable routine and gameplay is tired.
I can't wait for the interviews with Molyneux after the Fable 4 announcement, where he admits what a horrible game Fable 3 was and how much better Fable 4 will be.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
brotkasten said:
I can't wait for the interviews with Molyneux after the Fable 4 announcement, where he admits what a horrible game Fable 3 was and how much better Fable 4 will be.

"If we go on, we're not just going to make another Fable, we're going to make something that stands head and shoulders up with anybody else out there - the best of the best - in terms of its technology, its drama and its storytelling." 3/11

2ZBVb.jpg

stolen from destructoid, but it fits

Wow the peformance on this game blows. 20 frames maxed out on the first time one exits the starting room, GTX 280. You get more than that on Witcher 2 maxed out (without Ubersampling) and it also looks 3x times better. Game is capped at 30fps if you turn on V-Sync too. Glad I didn't buy this.

-bakalhau- said:
Wow the peformance on this game blows. 20 frames maxed out on the first time one exits the starting room, GTX 280. You get more than that on Witcher 2 maxed out (without Ubersampling) and it also looks 3x times better. Game is capped at 30fps if you turn on V-Sync too. Glad I didn't buy this.
Where did you find the benchmarks?

brotkasten said:
Here did you find the benchmarks?

Went to check it out on a friend's house today. I also took a look at Witcher 2 there as I haven't been able to get it yet. I just saw some threads on Steam forums, one guy reportedly got 120fps on a 460 (which performs almost the same as my GTX285, a bit better than my friend's 280), but everyone else is also saying the performance sucks.

Edit: The funny thing was we said to each other to scale the graphics back to Normal, since that's our bs performnce detection method, and the game still only ran at 37fps.

John

-bakalhau- said:
have you tried d3doverrider?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Why isn't this thread about The Witcher 2? Somebody should change the thread title to reflect the fact that The Wither 2 came out yesterday.

John said:
have you tried d3doverrider?

Pretty sure that'd work, I didn't bother with it since I had to go to college, but the point is the game should be capped at 60fps without aving to resort to external programs no? It's also of little use to try and cap it at 60 when on Normal settings it never goes above 40fps as soon as you look into the far distance.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
-bakalhau- said:
Edit: The funny thing was we said to each other to scale the graphics back to normal, since that's our bs performnce detection method, and the game still only ran at 37fps.

Microsoft not caring about PC gamers and porting shitty games like shit!? WHO KNEW! *mock surprise and horror*

Fable 1 sucked after "Project Ego" turned into "fart on Chickens, the game." Played 2. It was exactly like 1. Didn't play 3. Who honestly keeps giving Peter the money to build the same exact game of farting on people/chickens and not having a good RPG/story behind it?

1-D_FTW

Went and checked my FL in Steam. Zero own the game and 1 person has it on his wishlist. This is contrasted with 8 having played TW2 and 44 having it on their wishlist. Not looking like any of my earlier posts in this thread (funny that it got changed to the OT) are going to be quoted and thrown in my face.

Taking another look on the forums and people with 580GTX and such are reaching 60fps. That feels normal to me, what doesn't is people with completely capable cards getting 20fps when this game doesn't have the looks or the scope to warrant such a difference, and when Witcher 2 runs better. Did they optimize this for DX11 cards only or something?

TheExodu5

Banned
-bakalhau- said:

ouuuuch

-bakalhau- said:

Yikes...I think this game is on my wishlist...I must've forgotten to have taken it off.

AEREC

Why is it so popular to hate on Fable 3...I like the series so I will probably pick this up at some point.

I want to hear more impressions about the hardcore mode though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
IGN gave it a 6! Honestly, I'm proud of them since the reviewer who did the 360 version gave it a gentleman's 8.5.

and an IGN 6 for a game with Fable 3's budget is like a 4 for a less marketed game

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well good. I'm honestly thrilled that even ign acknowledges that the game is a pile of shit. Maybe next time, microsoft will release a pc game worth a damn. Or if they abandon the platform again... Whatever. At least that would mean we wouldn't be bothered with Fable IV.

Haunted

The general disinterest and negativity is not surprising after the word of mouth the 360 version received.

derFeef said:
RDR means Red Dead Redemption - look it up on Google ;)
Red Dead Revolver you heathen!

Phloxy

Game is running fine for me, and what do you mean you are glad you didn't buy it? How did you try it out on your pc then? Sometimes people just pile on for the sake of piling on it seems.

Phloxy said:
Game is running fine for me, and what do you mean you are glad you didn't buy it? How did you try it out on your pc then? Sometimes people just pile on for the sake of piling on it seems.

A few posts below the one that you were referring to, he says that he tried it at a friends house along with The Witcher 2:

-bakalhau- said:
Went to check it out on a friend's house today. I also took a look at Witcher 2 there as I haven't been able to get it yet. I just saw some threads on Steam forums, one guy reportedly got 120fps on a 460 (which performs almost the same as my GTX285, a bit better than my friend's 280), but everyone else is also saying the performance sucks.

Edit: The funny thing was we said to each other to scale the graphics back to Normal, since that's our bs performnce detection method, and the game still only ran at 37fps.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Performance definitely seems worse than it has any right to be considering the visual quality (which is by no means bad). I only played the game for a few minutes this morning, but immediately upon going outside into the courtyard, the framerate dropped quite a bit. I didn't have fraps running, but it definitely felt like the low 30s.

That's kind of crazy considering The Witcher 2 doesn't even run that poorly in busy situations on my computer when maxed out (excluding Ubersampling).

I'm running an i5 2500k @ 3.3ghz, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM, Radeon HD 5870 1GB on Windows 7 64-bit.

Otherwise, I definitely liked the atmosphere that the game presented in those few minutes. Something very warm about it.

iNvid02

i heard you have to force v-sync through drivers and it will be 60fps, but performance is still pretty horrid from steam forum users. probably wait until it hits the garbage bargain bin

Sooo my friend is claiming that the PC version has a new engine and heaps of stuff has been redone compared to the 360 version. His source is the dev diaries, but I can't really find anything in articles. Can someone point out if this is true?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well, Fable III just crashed for the third time in as many hours, so I'm done.

Quite simply, this is one of the worst games I have ever played. Perhaps the worst. I loved Fable: TLC, quite enjoyed Fable II, but this third entry is just beyond horrible. It has no redeeming factors whatsoever.

- The story is terrible. Oh no! My brother is evil and wants to kill people including a girl I just met who loves me! I must avenge her and the kingdom! Granted, I've never cared much for the story in the Fable games, but after the backlash Fable II received it seems Lionhead hired a few manatees to push a bunch of word-balls around, and have their own writers elaborate on them as little as possible. (The VA also sucks, but it's become a staple of the Fable series so it's unfair to berate it. John Cleese is awesome, but he would've been far more awesome if he wasn't simply reading from a page with an uninterested tone.)

- Even maxed out, the graphics look like they tripped and fell out of 2006. Hell, if you put Fable: TLC and Fable III side-by-side, the only difference would be the lighting.

- I'm certain there are a TON of audio assets re-used from the previous games, to the point where it felt like I was playing a mod more than an actual sequel.

- The idea that gameplay mechanics and even basic options should be "drip-fed" to the player as you progress is profoundly stupid; for example, I accepted about half a dozen side-quests and the game tells me that I can switch to the one I desire by using the map. Not only is that pathetic game design (no dedicated quest menu in an Action-"RPG"?), but I don't have the option yet as I haven't progressed far enough through the game. Why allow players to accept side-quests at all at this point if they're unable to switch between them?

- Side-quest design itself is equally lazy; literally every side-quest I did was in the same spot relative to the task. For example, every "hidden object" quest was in the same small area about 20 seconds into Brightwall, and when I went to deliver an object to another person, when I reached the area the handful of other such quests I had accepted were still active so there were 5 or 6 people there waiting for me to give them their gift. I had to lead each and every person away from the immediate area before I could move on to the next one thanks to the utterly stupid way the game handles NPC interaction.

- The concept of limiting how powerful a player can become in each section of the story is ridiculous. I actually don't mind the "Road to Rule" as a method of improving your character, but closing off each section until you've reached a certain point of the story is piss-poor game design. Forget linear, this game is on bloody rails.

- Regenerative health! I've yet to encounter the need to use a potion. What's the point? If you're overwhelmed, simply back off for a few seconds and then get back to it. To be fair, the game does mention that you can enable Challenge mode or some such to disable it, thereby necessitating the use of potions, but the fact it's enabled by default is pathetic.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I have off the top of my head. The stark contrast between this product and Molyneux's vision for the series is astounding. It's done nothing but take backward steps with each entry, presumably in an attempt to make a better product for the so-called "casual" crowd, but all this has culminated in is an all-around terrible experience for everybody concerned.

Back when Fable III was announced, I was cautiously optimistic. I didn't think Molyneux would actually spearhead a game that is exponentially worse than its predecessor in every possible respect, but that is exactly what happened. Needless to say, when Fable IV is announced I won't even blink an eye. Unless the series actually improves - something I can't see happening as long as Molyneux is behind it - I refuse to care.

Cheech

CecilRousso said:
Didn´t almost everyone here try to warn you about buying this game?

Yeah, I entered this thread to see if anybody had actually bought this shitpile.

The game is a master class in godawful game design. Molyneux should be forced to go work on Angry Birds for Kinect as punishment.

JaseC

CecilRousso said:
Didn´t almost everyone here try to warn you about buying this game?

I didn't think the game would be exceptional or anything, but I at least figured it would stable. It seems in Lionhead's effort to make the game more appealing to PC gamers, they broke it instead.

The new thread title (haha you actually made it the OT) , the lack of posts in it and the impressions posted in it so far have given me many laughs.

Gota give Peter some credit for being such a master bullshitter and cat in a bag sharlatan.

L0st Id3ntity said:
Wow, I was always determined to eventually buy it no matter what people said (I loved 1 and 2), not anymore.
There goes their only remaining sale.

What a shame... :/ Was looking forward to this, Fable 1 on the PC was a great game and it ran great.

This seems to be a bad game, and runs poorly.

JaseC

L0st Id3ntity said:
Wow, I was always determined to eventually buy it no matter what people said (I loved 1 and 2), not anymore.

I'm glad my taking the fall hasn't been in vain. As a fellow Fable fan, I had the most modest of expectations and the game managed to blow them away... in the wrong direction.

Forget replacing borked X360s, Microsoft should refund those who buy this digital piece of shit.

Metalmurphy said:
What a shame... :/ Was looking forward to this, Fable 1 on the PC was a great game and it ran great.

This seems to be a bad game, and runs poorly.

I can't comment on how the game scales to system specs as my PC is pushing 4 years of age. It wouldn't be fair to chalk the crappy framerate down to poor optimisation when I'm only running: 2GB DDR2-800, E6420 @ 3.2GHz and a 1GB 5750 (replaced a 512MB 2900XT).

I'll be upgrading once the verdict on AMD's Bulldozer is in, and then - maybe then - I'll give the game another shot.

Edit: Ah, I see people with mid->high-end systems are having performance issues, too.

Cheech said:
The game is a master class in godawful game design. Molyneux should be forced to go work on Angry Birds for Kinect as punishment.

SneakyStephan said:
The new thread title (haha you actually made it the OT) , the lack of posts in it and the impressions posted in it so far have given me many laughs.

Gota give Peter some credit for being such a master bullshitter and cat in a bag sharlatan.

As far as I know, Peter Molyneux wasn´t really that involved in Fable 3 as he was in the previous titles.

JaseC said:
Regenerative health! I've yet to encounter the need to use a potion. What's the point? If you're overwhelmed, simply back off for a few seconds and then get back to it. To be fair, the game does mention that you can enable Challenge mode or some such to disable it, thereby necessitating the use of potions, but the fact it's enabled by default is pathetic.
RPS article.
The other thing that has been interesting is the difficulty mode. It’s not the first time that’s come up on Fable game; on Fable from the beginning I can remember sitting in a room with Peter [Molyneux] and him being very explicit with me that… I believe the direct quote, if I remember correctly, was “I want a blind child to be able to win this game with their feet.” Clearly, that’s an ambition, a general direction – for us, people should be able to finish the game.
The main reason for that at the time, and that hasn’t changed, is that people have limited free time and we want them to feel like there’s a sense of progress and they’re seeing the world, experiencing the story and everything they can in the game. The other thing is that we want people to finish it. There’s nothing more frustrating for a user or a developer than when someone gets to a point in the game and says “alright, I quit”. That’s bad for both parties.
The interesting thing about Fable is the anecdotal stuff that we hear. The first thing that springs to mind is our PR telling us that her hairdresser plays Fable, and she’s a girl, and it’s the only game she plays. Another one is that a friend of mine emailed me and told me it was the first game his daughter had ever finished. She’s nine, and she loved it. It’s important to us that we achieve that.
They’re just a person, right, with shorter arms. They’re sitting a littler closer to the screen perhaps, but nonetheless they’re still sitting there wondering what’s the right thing to do.

JaseC said:
Haha, what the fuck. It seems they've succeeded in their "ambition", then.
As soon as I read that article I stopped having delusions of it somehow turning into a great game all of a sudden. The fact that Play Asia were selling the CE for $30 should have made me realise it probably is for the best if I don't play it. Maybe Milo will be the comeback we have been waiting for?

JaseC

reptilescorpio said:
As soon as I read that article I stopped having delusions of it somehow turning into a great game all of a sudden. The fact that Play Asia were selling the CE for $30 should have made me realise it probably is for the best if I don't play it. Maybe Milo will be the comeback we have been waiting for?

Didn't Molyneux say Milo was more an internal thing and they have no current plans to bring it to the market?

Of course, it's not like his word means much. :p

Salazar

BlazingDarkness said:
Fable is a dead franchise, if you ask me
MS would be best to run it down the casual road and do some sort of Kinect effort

Fable Sportz/Tournament.

I would actually check that out.

I don't have a problem with Fable getting more and more casual, but what really pisses me off is the lack of polish in Fable III. It's definitely not the "worst game ever", but it feels rushed and rough around the edges, even more than Fable II. I think Lionhead could do great things with the franchise if it was on a 3 year cycle.

JaseC

brotkasten said:
I don't have a problem with Fable getting more and more casual, but what really pisses me off is the lack of polish in Fable III. It's definitely not the "worst game ever", but it feels rushed and rough around the edges, even more than Fable II.

If Lionhead "dumb down" the franchise any more than they already have, the next Fable game will play itself. The primary issue I have with making Fable more casual-friendly is that those addtional steps don't need to be taken. Fable: TLC was a perfectly approachable Action-RPG and the sequel even moreso. Lionhead's "ambition" for Fable III went too far and the entire game broke down due to the poor foundation.

Fable III is a genuine atrocity that neither the intended "mainstream audience" nor fans of the franchise desire.

Top Bottom