• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "Fable 3 PC comes out on May 17th and nobody cares" thread |OT|

Grisby

Blueblur1 said:
No, I played it and encountered every single documented bug. Oh, I endured the terrible design decisions. Trust me, it's shit.

I didn't though. And theres a patch out now to fix the big ones right?

I am still surprised that MS didn't cancel this. I guess there is still some hope for "first party" PC games as far as MS is considered, but Witcher 2 will outsell this 10:1, that's for sure.

PLEASE let us choose our expressions this time

My hot evil female should not be forced into farting onto the heads as the only evil expression.

An-Det

I will buy it when it goes on sale. I loved Fable 1 and 2 was great, so I'll definitely play the revision when it gets a good price.

suikodan

I'm replying only because of the comparison to The Witcher.

I finished TW back in 2008 and then started playing Fable 2. Ok, I know it's mostly a matter of taste but I liked the mature settings of TW where Fable 2 had more humor in it and it was kinda destroying the mood for me.

I heard that Fable 3 is quite the same so I'll be playing TW2 when it comes out. Can't wait.

bengraven

King of the Potato People said:
On the positive side, the industrial theme was atmospheric and some of the simplistic, royal choices made me grin.
Brothel or Orphanage? Child labour or School?

Yes, say what you will about Bioware: Fable is the king of "jet black or pale white" choices.

Peter M kicks "grey area" down a well like Leonidas.

Actually rented this last weekend for 360. (yes people still rent games)

The game is not bad, but I feel Lionhead maxed out on all these ideas in fable 2.

I'd like to see a 'Hi Res' version for sure, as my comp is a beast (and hooked to a 48 in. LED). But I would rather play Witcher 2.

Any PC gamers buying this over Witcher 2 would be a horrible mistake.

I skipped out on the 360 version after seeing how horrible & bland it looked to me. So I'll be getting Fable 3 on PC this time around.

And yes, The Witcher 2 as well. I'm getting both.

Malio

Thread title could not be more apt. Piss poor attempt at an RPG. I certainly wont' be buying another Fable after getting hyped, and duped, into buying Fable II.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's obvious Lionhead and MS are fucking delusional, and think just because CDP is a small Polish developer, railroading Witcher 2 with Fable 3 will be easy.

derFeef

thetrin said:
It's obvious Lionhead and MS are fucking delusional, and think just because CDP is a small Polish developer, railroading Witcher 2 with Fable 3 will be easy.
Wasn't Fable 3's release date set before Witcher 2's? Cant remember. And release dates clash, like Alan Wake did with RDR... wait.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
derFeef said:
Wasn't Fable 3's release date set before Witcher 2's?

It's not like they couldn't change it. It's coming out the same day as Witcher 2 and LA Noire. It's being sent to die.

totoro'd

Hmm i might actually be interested in this, my bf and i liked the co-op play of Fable 2 on Xbox but didn't like the limited options/customization for partners, and i've heard it's alot better in this game. Plus, i'd rather play it on pc

thetrin said:

then it would be obvious that MS haven't been paying attention to the PC community as pretty much everyone prefered The Witcher 2 over Fable 3

derFeef

From The Dust said:
then it would be obvious that MS haven't been paying attention to the PC community as pretty much everyone prefered The Witcher 2 over Fable 3
At least everyone on GAF, but I am sure there are folks enjoying Fable. I am just going to predict that MS is going to blame piracy or some other cliche for the (presumably) poor sales.

Grisby

thetrin said:

So obvious.

I highly doubt MS is pushing Fable 3 PC to be the must have RPG come this Tuesday.

Wag

thezerofire said:
why did it take so long for it to release?
So they could add an "extreme" mode that us PC people want so badly? :p

More likely MS didn't like the idea of it coming out the same day as the 360 version so they delayed it as long as possible.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Fable 3 was an amazing game. Might be trying it out on the PC despite the indifference.

Wow, surprised (but not really I guess after all) to see this thread buried. Has anyone purchased this? For $50 I can't see it selling all that well, but I'm really interested in the PC version and will probably pick it up on a sale.

Any impressions?

markot

Banned
Forkball said:
It's the eighth best selling game on Steam right now. Someone out there bought it. SOMEONE.
Witcher at 1 and this so low makes me happy >_<

We want meat on our rpg bones!

scitek

My roommate got this on Steam. He just finished Fable 2 yesterday and I warned him about the consensus of 3, but he didn't care. He seemed to be enjoying it a good bit when I checked in earlier, so good for him. He was quite pleased with how much better than 2 it looks, as well.

Edit: I should note that he first watched some gameplay vids on YouTube and then decided to go ahead and buy, so he didn't just take a blind leap of faith.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I picked this up after reading the piece on Rock, Paper, Shotgun. It sounds like, despite it's obvious flaws, there are some things in there that I will enjoy.

I'm downloading now, but probably won't play it until the weekend as I'm busy with The Witcher 2 at the moment!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
scitek said:
My roommate got this on Steam. He just finished Fable 2 yesterday and I warned him about the consensus of 3, but he didn't care. He seemed to be enjoying it a good bit when I checked in earlier, so good for him. He was quite pleased with how much better than 2 it looks, as well.

Edit: I should note that he first watched some gameplay vids on YouTube and then decided to go ahead and buy, so he didn't just take a blind leap of faith.

I considered doing the same as I quite enjoyed the previous two games despite their flaws (particularly loved Fable: TLC), but a 6-month+ old port simply isn't worth $50. I won't be interested until it's at least 50% off.

DSN2K

Fable III is one of the biggest let downs in recent time, I wouldn't pay 4.99 in the steam Christmas sale let alone full price.

Phloxy

Got it early, much improved over the 360 version and hardcore mode is a lot of fun. Co-op is working really good too.

Blueblur1

Phloxy said:
Got it early, much improved over the 360 version and hardcore mode is a lot of fun. Co-op is working really good too.
Post some more impressions after you've played more of the game. While I strongly dislike it, I will admit to being interested in finding out if they fixed the bugs at least.

Kevin

I use to be hugely interested in the Fable series but it seems like not much advancement has come to the Fable series since the original game.

After playing The Witcher 2, I think I'd find it difficult to get excited for Fable 3. I'd buy it at a bargain price of maybe $20 or so but I have a strange feeling that this is going to be one of those Steam titles where the price never goes down or is even on sale. Hope I'm wrong though as I still want to play this. Just not bad enough to pay $50 for it.

Kevin said:
I use to be hugely interested in the Fable series but it seems like not much advancement has come to the Fable series since the original game.

The series has changed significantly since its inception. Now, whether those changes have been for the better, that's a matter of opinion and taste.

hamchan

LiK said:
i dunno why but if this becomes the OT for the PC game, i'm gonna die laughing.
lol

Anyways this game deserves this sort of reception. What a disaster this game was. How is this series getting worse with each entry?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
The series has changed significantly since its inception. Now, whether those changes have been for the better, that's a matter of opinion and taste.

It has? I've played all three and this is news to me. There are some new features and ideas with every edition but at it's core it's basically the same game as Fable 1.

All 3: start with your hero, a blank slate. Then develop that hero, focus on melee, ranged, or magic. Tackle your quests in an evil way and grow horns, tackle them in a good way and grow angel wings. Eat good food to restore health and get slim, eat bad food at get fat. It's the same process in all three games.

I felt like Fable 3 had downgraded combat, the customization was seriously limited compared to the first two, and it's 'twist', the king portion, was ultra simplistic and only dragged the game down instead of bringing something new and interesting.

Fable 2 is definitely the best of the series, too bad it's the one that didn't get a PC release.

I really liked Fable 1, enjoyed Fable 2, and was elated to hear that Fable 3 was coming to the PC. I remember some time back that there was talk about releasing it on the same day as Witcher 2. Obviously, that was a prank or miscommunication because no one would do something so absurd.

Can you imagine that? A company not releasing the second part of a series on the PC, and then turning around, deciding to release part three on the PC, but only many months after the console version launched and on the same day as one of PC's most anticipated RPGs! I see that the tricksters even got Steam in on the joke.

Peter Molyneux would turning around in front of his Kinect if he heard about this tomfoolery.

derFeef said:
And release dates clash, like Alan Wake did with RDR... wait.

You and your silly made up game names.

Snuggler said:
It has? I've played all three and this is news to me. There are some new features and ideas with every edition but at it's core it's basically the same game as Fable 1.

Of course the core is the same, that's why the games are called Fable 2 and Fable 3. But a bunch of stuff has been completely changed, from the combat system, character progression, simulation elements, technical stuff (not being able to stray off the path was particularly annoying in the first game), multiplayer and so on.

CabbageRed said:
Can you imagine that? A company not releasing the second part of a series on the PC, and then turning around, deciding to release part three on the PC, but only many months after the console version launched and on the same day as one of PC's most anticipated RPGs! I see that the tricksters even got Steam in on the joke.

Nothing new in the PC space. For instance, Devil May Cry only came to the platform with DMC3.

Mr YuYu

I am about 14 hours in at the moment and i still like it a lot!

I am still not at the final "gameplaytwist moment" that is supposed to kill the game but this game just feels like more Fable to me at the moment.

Great game! Maybe not 60 euro great but still very very good! (payed 16 euro)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Of course the core is the same, that's why the games are called Fable 2 and Fable 3. But a bunch of stuff has been completely changed, from the combat system, character progression, simulation elements, technical stuff (not being able to stray off the path was particularly annoying in the first game), multiplayer and so on.

The combat is virtually the same. It's even the same exact buttons as the OG xbox game. X for melee, y for ranged, b for magic and a for evade. There is nothing different from the combat in F1 to the combat in F3. Same with character progression, the only difference in F3 is that everything including the amount of money you can make is broken up and earned with lvl up's in the road to rule. It's basically the same thing but you open up chests instead of spending the XP towards upgrades in a traditional menu. The only difference is that F1/F2 gave you XP based on the abilities you used most, and F3 just lets you choose whatever.

The simulations elements were expanded with F2 but they were in many ways simplified with F3 since the expression system was cut down to only 2 responses.

...and the ability to stray off the path, or the exploration element in general is exactly the same in F3 as it was in F1. It's cut up into small, contained areas with linear paths and a few hidden treasures and demon doors on the side.

There are no complete changes.

RooMHM

hamchan said:
lol

Anyways this game deserves this sort of reception. What a disaster this game was. How is this series getting worse with each entry?

Molyneux.

But people keep thinking the first was good? It's the same story all over again with these games like Alan Wake. A lot of promises, not even half of them are applied and games turn crappy. How is this astounding?

derFeef

CabbageRed said:
You and your silly made up game names.
RDR means Red Dead Redemption - look it up on Google ;)

Mr YuYu said:
I am about 14 hours in at the moment and i still like it a lot!

I am still not at the final "gameplaytwist moment" that is supposed to kill the game but this game just feels like more Fable to me at the moment.

Great game! Maybe not 60 euro great but still very very good! (payed 16 euro)
Hey can you make some screenshots?

Top Bottom