• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - Cyberpunk meets RPG, SMT Style |OT|

cj_iwakura

soulhack2.jpg

I don't believe we've had a proper thread on Soul Hackers here, so let's resolve that, especially since there's a fan translation in the works.

This is a spoiler-free thread. Keep it that way if you've beaten the game; tag all spoilers!

sh.png

This should be played at preferably high volume. [Opening]

hacking2.png
amamicity.png

Amami City, 1997. A coastal city designed to be a technological paradise and testing ground for a virtual reality world, Paradigm-X. This was made possible by funding from the Algon Software Corporation, the developers of Paradigm-X. The city provides citizens with free computer and internet access: via terminals situated all over the city, allowing users unlimited access to Paradigm X's network at will.

terminal1.png

This is where you and your best friend, Hitomi, get involved. As members of the underground hacking team, The Spookies, you set out to get to the bottom of Paradigm X's schemes, and keep Amami City safe from the machinations of devils, summoners, and devil summoners.

2-18.png

(Virus Gift For You!)

The Players

The Protagonist
30heroth.jpg

A freelancer hacker who joined The Spookies along with Hitomi.
Lives an otherwise mundane life in a high rise apartment with his parents and sister.

2-5.png

Well isn't that special.

Hitomi
25hitomibth.jpg

soulhackers-8.jpg

Your best friend, a friendly, down-to-earth girl who knows all there is to know about Paradigm X, and then some.

Spooky
19leaderbth.jpg

2-24.png

The leader of the Spookies, and arguably the only member who knows the meaning of the phrase 'low-profile'.

Six
20th.jpg

4-7.png

A member of the Spookies' hacker clique. Mostly handles what you don't.
Real name: Sako Shingo. Likes: Guns, Horror Movies. 17 years old.

Lunch
lunch.png

4-8.png

Another of the senior members, runs back-up and little else.

Yu-ichi
29th.jpg

4-23.png

Last and certainly least, the youngest member of the Spookies.
Hasn't yet realized an alias is important to being a hacker, apparently.
Haga Yu-ichi. Likes: Hacking, Spooky, the thought of being a super hacker, acting like an child.

Victor
16th.jpg

5-4.png

Raidou fans, this one's for you. As Soul Hackers takes place in the future, Victor has mastered the occult science of the devil fusion process, and is now decked out as a pirate for some reason, complete with his own ship, and personal maid.

Mary
32th.jpg

soulhackers-7.jpg

Victor's personal maid. Taciturn to a fault, but she knows her science well.

So enough of the background fluff. What makes Soul Hackers awesome?

I'm glad you asked!

First and foremost, atmosphere: Soul Hackers has it in spades.

The game takes place in a heavy cyberpunk world. Technology has control of everything. If you enjoyed the cyberpunk elements in SMT 1 & 2 and the flavor in Persona 2, you'll be in heaven here.

3-10.jpg

3-19c.jpg

Soul Hackers is a first-person dungeon crawler similar to SMT 1 & 2 and Persona 1, for those who played the PSP game. This was an early Saturn game, later ported to the PS1, but it was developed after Persona 1 and the nigh unplayable first Devil Summoner game.

The dungeon movement is fully 3D with detailed backgrounds, multiple tiers, all kinds of nice touches. If you want a first person dungeon crawler, this is one of the finest varieties. R&D1 at their A-Game.

3-27.png

The battle system is an improvement over the previous Devil Summoner's, for sure.

Uses the same system, but with way more style.

4-11.png

Weapons and spells all have unique visual effects, and the enemies even get differently rendered deaths based on how you killed them.

Fusion is made especially simple. Similarly as in Strange Journey, it's done on the fly through a handheld device; the GUMP(GUn CoMPuter) Application.

4-15.png

Lastly, one of my favorite touches: nearly every NPC gets a unique portrait during conversation.

5-6.png

Anyway, enough about the game. You want it in English, yes?

Let Gemini and Tom help you with that.

They're hacking the PS1 version. Translation is almost done, hacking is still underway.
No ETA yet, sadly, but here's some screens to tide you over.

install-final.png

dungeon-missing-1.png

map-dialog.png

dungeon-dialog.png

Translation Teasers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuyFBp9biDw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh3nJMULmxE

As I've been playing my Saturn copy, here's some videos I made of Soul Hackers in action.
Meet Dr. Victor
Extra-terrestrial Fusion

Lastly, here's some great music to help:

Town Map
Normal Battle
Algon Headquarters (Creepy.)
The Hotel Gouma-Den (Victor's crib. Persona/Velvet Room fans should recognize a tune or two; this is one of my favorite tracks.)

I'll keep you all updated on the translation progress. Maybe even livestream some Soul Hackers if the whimsy hits.

Aeana

I predict a lot of upset people thinking the translation is done when they saw this thread.

But Soul Hackers is awesome, and was my favorite game in the entire franchise before SMT3 (still #2). I worry how people would respond to it playing it for the first time today, though.

cj_iwakura

I'm late to the party, but I think the game is very playable by today's standards. Way more than Persona 1. Combat is fast and fluid, and the dungeons go smoothly.

Don't mean to get people's hopes up on the translation, but I do know the script is very close to completion.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I always kinda wished this game would come to the US, maybe ported to the PSP or something. If a fan translation's the best I'll get, though, I'll take it.

cj_iwakura

Chacranajxy said:
I always kinda wished this game would come to the US, maybe ported to the PSP or something. If a fan translation's the best I'll get, though, I'll take it.

I think it was assumed SH would hit the PSP after the first Devil Summoner game did, but that has yet to happen. I hope it does, but if not, no big deal. If it does and Atlus USA fix the other blot on their record, though, awesome.

There's an urban legend that it was coming to the US under the Revelations moniker like Persona 1, but it never came to be, sadly.

Some say Sony blocked it, but that's something of a myth.

RickA238

I'm anticipating the translation for this game higher than probably any other upcoming game release. SMT is probably my favorite series, and I love the early dungeon-crawlers like SMT1, SMT2, and Persona 1.

I remember when the ads for Soul Hackers started showing up in magazines ~1998, right after I had gotten into SMT with Persona 1. I was so hyped for it (huge cyberpunk fan), and I was totally let down when P2 came out and I realized it wouldn't be localized.

This translation is a dream come true for a lot of old-school English-speaking SMT fans. Now if only someone would translate SMT If...

Any estimate on when Soul Hackers will be done? Like, is it within the next year?

Dascu

I knew there was a translation project under way, but I forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me.

Remind me again when it's finished!

Aeana said:
I worry how people would respond to it playing it for the first time today, though.
And why is that? Does it feel terribly outdated now in comparison with the more recent SMT games?

Lopson

Neo Member
This is the one game of the entire Megami Tensei series I've always wanted to play. I already knew about the translation, but it seems they're still far off from a release.

I've gotten my hands on all of the soundtrack CDs and arrange CDs. All I'm missing now is the game CD.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
cj_iwakura said:
I think it was assumed SH would hit the PSP after the first Devil Summoner game did, but that has yet to happen. I hope it does, but if not, no big deal. If it does and Atlus USA fix the other blot on their record, though, awesome.

There's an urban legend that it was coming to the US under the Revelations moniker like Persona 1, but it never came to be, sadly.

Some say Sony blocked it, but that's something of a myth.
I heard this rumor a long time ago as well, I think it was going to be emulated like the first Devil Summoner so they canned it. It's too bad though, I've always wanted to play this. I hope they can give it a proper port/remake one day.

Caelestis

I've been wanting to play it for many many years, but still waiting for a translation. Hopefully someday Atlus decides to remake it as it seems to be a pretty cool game. We need more cyberpunk in our lives. ^_^

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
It pissed me off that SCEA supposedly blocked Atlus from bringing it to the US so many years back. This was the first SMT game I was really interested in, back in the day... the cyberpunk setting and theme just sounded so awesome.

Tiktaalik

cj_iwakura said:
I'm late to the party, but I think the game is very playable by today's standards. Way more than Persona 1. Combat is fast and fluid, and the dungeons go smoothly.

Don't mean to get people's hopes up on the translation, but I do know the script is very close to completion.

A bit off topic, but in what way is Persona 1 not very playable by today's standards? I've never even looked at the title. Is it just brutally difficult?

Varna

Sash said:
I've been wanting to play it for many many years, but still waiting for a translation. Hopefully someday Atlus decides to remake it as it seems to be a pretty cool game. We need more cyberpunk in our lives. ^_^

Don't even need a remake. Just a psp version (that you can also play on the ps3) so Atlus can translate.

Wanted to play this game forever but it doesn't look like it will ever get translated.

cj_iwakura

Tiktaalik said:
A bit off topic, but in what way is Persona 1 not very playable by today's standards? I've never even looked at the title. Is it just brutally difficult?

Mostly the awkward battle system. Soul Hackers is just a nice traditional turn based RPG.

I like Persona 1, but Soul Hackers is worlds better.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Woah, thanks for the information cj_iwakura, hopefully this thread keeps getting bumped and we can spread the good news. :)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
As a big fan of both cyberpunk and SMT, this game looks awesome, even though the battle system seems like it'll take some getting used to.

cj_iwakura

Sub_Level said:
As a big fan of both cyberpunk and SMT, this game looks awesome, even though the battle system seems like it'll take some getting used to.

It's extremely simple. You summon demons, they wreck faces. The only tricks are the alignment(which affects cost & compatibility) and conversation, getting them to join up.

After that, it's nothing you shouldn't be accustomed to. There's two humans; the protagonist and Hitomi. The other four slots are for demons.

Heck, most bosses I've fought, I've wrecked using just the humans. Demons are cannon fodder, little else.

cj_iwakura

Nekobo said:
Looks great, hopefully we'll be able to play it in English next year.

What's a good site to import this?

I bought my Saturn copy off Ebay, for around $20. I don't expect the PSX copy should be any more expensive. Heck, Devil Summoner 1 cost me $5. (And that's about as much as it's worth.)

Should be very easy to play once the translation's done, too. Rip the .BIN from the disc, patch, enjoy.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Very nice summary of the game.
I was aware of the translation of course, but it's nice to get a little info regarding why the game is still worth checking out. I'm intrigued.

vall03

been following the translation for a while now. Heard a lot of good things about the game from SMT fans and can't wait for this

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Aeana said:
I predict a lot of upset people thinking the translation is done when they saw this thread.
I thought it was when I saw this thread.

cj_iwakura

Heart Attack said:
Now that Persona 2 is coming to America, this and the xbox game will be the only SMT games i missed out on.

NINE is mediocre at best, arguably the worst SMT game ever made.

The remaining gems, IMO, would be the Majin Tensei(Fire Emblem-esque SMT SRPGs).

I have this game in my closet right now! i thought i could get over the whole japanese barrier, nope.

Here's the guide I've been using to get through it, if you simply can't wait:

http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=5082

It's not just a Let's Play, the writer clearly dictates where to go, what's going on, and even transcriptions of demons and their abilities. If you don't have a script or a translation, this is the next best thing.

cj_iwakura said:
NINE is mediocre at best, arguably the worst SMT game ever made.

The remaining gems, IMO, would be the Majin Tensei(Fire Emblem-esque SMT SRPGs).

Here's the guide I've been using to get through it, if you simply can't wait:

http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=5082

It's not just a Let's Play, the writer clearly dictates where to go, what's going on, and even transcriptions of demons and their abilities. If you don't have a script or a translation, this is the next best thing.

It should be noted that the author of that isn't very fluent in Japanese, and there's a lot of really embarrassing typos.

Also, not to be a dick, but could you rehost those images on imgur or something? That photobucket account doesn't have unlimited bandwidth.

cj_iwakura

TurnipFritters said:
It should be noted that the author of that isn't very fluent in Japanese, and there's a lot of really embarrassing typos.

Also, not to be a dick, but could you rehost those images on imgur or something? That photobucket account doesn't have unlimited bandwidth.

Apologies, will do. They were the best SH images I could find that weren't from the HG101 article.

Aeana

Majin Tensei is kinda bad, honestly. Those games are really in the lower tiers with stuff like NINE, as far as I'm concerned.

cj_iwakura said:
Apologies, will do. They were the best SH images I could find that weren't from the HG101 article.

No problem, I just got an email saying I was nearly out of bandwidth, so...
But please continue spreading the Soul Hackers love all over Neogaf's face, because I'm totes down for that.

Aeana said:
Majin Tensei is kinda bad, honestly. Those games are really in the lower tiers with stuff like NINE, as far as I'm concerned.

Urgh. "Hey y'all, let's let demons level up and wear equipment! Oh yeah let's have permadeath too! It'll be awesome and not at all annoying!"

cj_iwakura said:
Well, it looked fun...

And, rehosted.

Incidentally, where did you get that art of Victor at his desk with a pipe?

It's from the Demonic Compendium disc. Or more accurately, it's from a video of the Demonic Compendium disc I saw on Nicovideo a hundred years ago.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I've heard some good things about this game. Looking forward to the finished product.

cj_iwakura

The translation, according to Tom, is completed.

Now it's just a matter of waiting for the hack. Of course, who knows how long that could take.

0 HP

cj_iwakura said:
The translation, according to Tom, is completed.

Now it's just a matter of waiting for the hack. Of course, who knows how long that could take.
I hope it comes out tonight!!!!

Top Bottom