• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you happy with Sony's handling of the PS3's online community?

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
It's fine with me. People bitch and moan about cross chat but I never used it on XBL. I don't want to talk to someone unless I'm playing with them in the same game. If I'm really desperate to talk to someone that I'm not playing with I have other means.

vag 2.0

I'm only a light user of XBL; I play online but I don't really use party chat and stuff like that so much. Even then, I definitely appreciate some of the UX touches over the PSN experience: stuff like getting an invite, hitting guide and accepting feels a lot smoother than navigating around the games own UI or whatever.

I think that 'it's free' is a kinda-sorta valid defence, especially when you consider the 360 dash is peppered with non-targeted advertisement even if you pay the sub, but Sony are absolutely going to have to polish it for the future.

Sullichin

davepoobond said:

i am a happy customer as long as i dont have to pay extra for something i already pay for.

I'm going to put myself in this camp. I just used a 3 month xbox live code I had laying around so I could play Gears 3 co-op - and it's fun, but I can have similar experiences for free on my PS3.

I use skype to chat with my friend regardless of which console we're playing. Lack of cross-game chat doesn't bother me.

If it weren't for exclusives I'd never buy an online game for 360 when I can just play it for free on PS3 and not have to worry if my Gold account is expired or not.

I will argue that the overall ease/usability gap of playing a first-party/top tier game that fully utilizes Xbox Live vs any random PS3 online game is pretty large.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Gets the job done, and does so at $0 cost. Has gained features since I purchased a PS3, all at no additional, recurring cost.

Truespeed

Rattles said:
It sucks cause...

Home isn't mandatory.
It don't shove ads in your face.
Theres not enough screaming ediots in online.
It don't show what people are doing in thier pre 2009 games.
It don't cost $60 a year
And it don't have cross game chat.

Fix this shit $ony

The #144 post always nails it.

Good:

- Free.
- If there are massive sales, they are REALLY good. PSP games can go as low as 5 bucks.

Bad:

- Official Sony websites are hosted on an Etch-A-Sketch server, always ridiculously slow for me.
- Horrible customer service. One glance at the forum helpdesk says it all.
- No mandatory demos for new PSN games or trials for minis. This might bug me the most.
- Publishers stick really, REALLY stupid price tags on the games and Sony pretty much allows it.
- FIX THE CLOCK. JESUS CHRIST.

EagleEyes

Given the fact that I can join a party chat with my four online buds and seamlessly move from CoD to Gears to any other game without any disconnect whatsoever makes XBL appealing and worth every penny to me. That is something that just isn't available on any other console and a big reason I use XBL almost exclusively over PSN on a nightly basis.

Sethos said:
I feel it's a barebone, lacking service and no, being free doesn't make up for it whatsoever. I'm not tight on money and I am more than willing to pay for a streamlined and well rounded experience.

Plus PSN downloads are oddly enough still slow after all these years, apparently that isn't an isolated issue.

Sure it is, isolated to certain regions. It all has to do with where the content servers are located. I max out my 30MB/s connection speed on my downloads.

Baha

It's not perfect but they got the online being free part down stat. Anyways, with XBL around, they'll have to keep adding features to keep their audience and they've done so since the launch of the PS3. They just have to keep adding new features and keep the pay gates optional for non essential services (cloud saving would be nice for free but I can live w/o it since I can back up most saves).

Live is better in every way imho but that's to be expected for a premium service with a subscription fee. Still, PSN still lags way behind in many areas. Even for a free service I think the download speeds, availability of demos, voice quality, de facto standard feature list, among other things, could all be better.

An-Det

It's a fine service with a bunch of great features, but it doesn't really feel like a community to me like Steam or XBL do.

Grinchy

Banned
An-Det said:
It's a fine service with a bunch of great features, but it doesn't really feel like a community to me like Steam or XBL do.
I am on both Steam and PSN and neither feels like a community to me.

The whole "community" argument seems quite subjective.

mochuuu

PSN Community Mgr.
RSLAEV said:
I mean, why can't people log on line with their PS3s and using their PSN accounts to engage in discussion about a game with other PS3 owners? Why isn't there some kind of official sig generator that people can use when posting in forums that shows their PSN accout info and stats?

You can do any of those at us.playstation.com.

Sounds like your beef is largely with Home. While Home isn't for everyone, I can tell you the people that do enjoy cultivating their online personas REALLY get into it. It's like any other game really, it's about the time you put into it.

Would be nice if it was easier to report people who decide to send me 10 derogatory messages after they get butt hurt playing COD, yeah they get ignored but people who think this kind of stuff is suitable need a reality check or need to chillax.

A week ban may disuade them from sending other people shit in the future.

tzare

I have no complains as it is has everything basic covered, unlike others, for free. As it should be.
i allows online play without any extra payment, you can enjoy all the features the games you already payed for ,offer.
it allows in-game standard features as messages,friend online status, text chat, and voice chat if the game needs it.

What else for basic gaming is needed? because cross game chat, while a nice feature, is just an extra feature, it is not a basic to chat with some who is playing another game or watching a movie while gaming, plus sound quality is not great and some people with moderate nat have issues often. Easier game invites would come first if some feature from XBL should be adopted in the future as it makes joining online games come convenient.

As for Store, well, it is a matter of personal taste and getting used to it, i can find enything i want and i am not that smart so anyone can.

Oh, and its free, yeah again, no matter if some get a year for 30 bucks. most people pay the full price, and once the generation ends and you realize that you have spent 60*X years, that is quite an amount of money that could be used in games or another console.

RSLAEV

mochuuu said:
You can do any of those at us.playstation.com.

Sounds like your beef is largely with Home. While Home isn't for everyone, I can tell you the people that do enjoy cultivating their online personas REALLY get into it. It's like any other game really, it's about the time you put into it.

Yeah I did come down kind of hard on Home. I just don't like how it isolates and separates the community aspect of being online from the general online experience. And it just felt bloated and slow the few times that I tried it.

see5harp

I think they've done a fine job when you consider the bare bones mess the system started out with. I still think for a social online gamer it's much weaker than Live but it's better than anything save Steam for zero cost.

evolution

I've got no problems with online on the ps3. It works and its free. I was able to play portal co-op with my friend on his pc because the way its setup, so its a win for me. The experience on vita seems to be even better and its still free.

Replicant

Don't really care about online except for uploading trophies and buying DLC. So I think their service is pretty good.

Also, why would I want to talk to someone while playing different games? That'd be distracting.

tzare

Replicant said:
Also, why would I want to talk to someone while playing different games? That'd be distracting.

agree. However some people seem to enjoy that a lot. It would be like talking in the cinema to me.

kyo_daikun said:
Would be nice if it was easier to report people who decide to send me 10 derogatory messages after they get butt hurt playing COD, yeah they get ignored but people who think this kind of stuff is suitable need a reality check or need to chillax.

A week ban may disuade them from sending other people shit in the future.

What do you mean? There's a Grief Report option for all of the messages you receive.

For example, if you're on BLOPS and are finished a match. Drop back into XMB, go to your Received messages, hit triangle on the message and go down to Grief Report. Takes like 10 seconds maximum to do one.

Cold-Steel said:
What do you mean? There's a Grief Report option for all of the messages you receive.

For example, if you're on BLOPS and are finished a match. Drop back into XMB, go to your Received messages, hit triangle on the message and go down to Grief Report. Takes like 10 seconds maximum to do one.

Never noticed the option, never heard of Sony taking action against this kind of thing either, will use it in the future tho thanks.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Every time there's a discussion, XGC (cross game chat is considered a deal breaker) always comes into play

For some the $60 fee, yes $60, that is how much XBL costs, (yes you can go look for deals or wait for them too come along, but that alone tells you people don't want to pay for it) this feature is the be all, end all feature (include party chat in there too). If you think it's worth it yes, go ahead pay. From my viewpoint I think it's ridiculous to pay for those features.

We can banter back and forth of why this service is better and here are the reasons why, the main reason is friends and personal choice.

kyo_daikun said:
Never noticed the option, never heard of Sony taking action against this kind of thing either, will use it in the future tho thanks.

You missed Lince thread of him being banned due to talking some smack, and getting owned in the process

Full Force of the LAW!

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
GraveRobberX said:
Every time there's a discussion, XGC (cross game chat is considered a deal breaker) always comes into play

For some the $60 fee, yes $60, that is how much XBL costs, (yes you can go look for deals or wait for them too come along, but that alone tells you people don't want to pay for it) this feature is the be all, end all feature (include party chat in there too). If you think it's worth it yes, go ahead pay. From my viewpoint I think it's ridiculous to pay for those features.

We can banter back and forth of why this service is better and here are the reasons why, the main reason is friends and personal choice.

You missed Lince thread of him being banned due to talking some smack, and getting owned in the process

Full Force of the LAW!

Holy christ! That was glorious. Dude got slammed. Damn i love GAF.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Not at all. I'd rather spend the money for Live than use PSN for free. That's not what I expected to be doing at the beginning of this gen.

kyo_daikun said:

FYI - you need to be in actual XMB to do this, not in-game XMB :)

theBishop

Banned
I haven't downloaded enough large files to really compare, but PSN is dramatically slower than Steam.

But overall I'm very happy with PSN. It's come a long way since launch. As long as it stays free, Playstation will be my primary platform. I hate subscriptions.

PerZona

PSN works well for me, even though there's no cross game chat. It's free anyway so i don't expect much from it. At least it has all of the basic stuffs.

Thankfully PS Vita has cross game chat though, which means we will at least see this feature in PS4. And i believe PS4 will have a strong OS with many social features unlike the PS3, Sony would have learned their lesson by now.

Raoh

No problems here.

Free online as it should be.

Cross game chat is not important to me. When i'm online im in a squad or a party, i talk to them not to other people not playing the game i am playing. I don't want people paying attention to who their friends teacher hates or what girl in class hot. Which is probably why most people run off on their own, they dont want to talk to their teammates so they just rake up kill counts and talk to someone else not playing a game. It's useful for organizing a group, but then again, once organized you should be talking to the people on your team.

The playstation will one day get cross game chat and no one will care, I know i wont, i barely use my cellphone as a phone.

Sony's problem is consolidation or better yet lacking a standard.

If matchmaking worked great in one game and that company is a subsidiary of sony's why not have all the other devs under you look at the code and implement in all first party games going forward? same with chat system, etc.

Their websites kind of suck but i can usually get the info i need from neogar or other sites.

outside of that I have no issues, i can play all my online games just fine with no online fees.

Besides the obvious cross game chat. It's free. Home is just to horde virtual items which I haven't paid 1 cent for. They could have made it where you sign in with one account for different regions instead of having multiple accounts. Cloud server is really nice if you have PS+. It saved me almost 5 years worth of game saves. Yea, I didn't back it up. Bottom line is it does what I need and that's all that matters.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Also PSN+ is a great fucking deal

A rental service which offers good deals, and gives new/old games at good discounts

I mean it's not Steam OMGWTFBBQ! Seasonal sale, byt there are times where patience pays off

Right now you can grab V8 Superstars Racing for $2.25, yes the game is a year old, was $19.99 at the start, but it's worth it at that price, for me a trophy whore 36 trophies (1 being a platinum is not bad, and it looks good for a budget title t a super budget price lol)

Banned
GraveRobberX said:
It's better cause you aren't paying for it, that extra money can be used for other gaming purposes
You can go do bullet points of what XBL and PSN features and what it lacks, but until you can tell me that paying to play online is a better deal than having it free then I will say PSN is better deal than XBL

I get discounts with XBL. I easily save enough money to pay for it.

Grinchy

Banned
GraveRobberX said:

Full Force of the LAW!
God damnit. That's the last time I ignore a thread just because the OP annoyed me. I remember reading that OP and immediately closing the thread. How did I miss this??

Thanks for posting it. I've read just about every post in that thread now.

Fredrik

Playstation Home is the biggest failure of this generation imo.

I mean it's still not even close to working as it was intended and advertised. Why is that?

They should make Home updates be installed automatically with system updates. You should be online on Home when you're online on PSN. You should be able to instantly switch to Home from XMB. People should be able to drop quick messages to you from Home when you're gaming or being in XMB - " Hey what's up? I'm at the bowling alley with Jan and Lisa. You should come over" - and you should be able to switch to Home instantly.Without having to sit 5-10 minutes waiting to get online and download the world, updates, etc.

Right now it's worthless. And I'll hate Sony forever if they aren't fixing it before jumping to next generation, because I was actually super hyped to set my foot in Home after the announcements, and it was one of the reasons that I went with PS3 rather than 360 for online enabled games. "It'll be awesome once Home is up" was my thought. I thought it was a Live killer, Sony made it laughable that MS had Live as a pay service.

I double dipped on the 360 yesterday, got my second 360 after a RROD crash. I've been an avid Live hater since the start just because you have to pay for it, but now I'm seriously thinking of getting Live.

Sony just ain't doing things right. And I fear that they never will. I've seen zero improvements lately and no talk about upcoming improvements either. Total failure. And it's such a shame because Home really could become the perfect online service.

LuchaShaq

Banned
BoilersFan23 said:
There's no way they were going to bundle a headset when they were already losing a lot of money for each console being sold. They could sell a bluetooth headset separately and profit. More so made sense financially.

Doesn't make it the right choice when it comes to creating an online community.

Doubt you defend Microsoft for charging tons for wireless/hard drives/multiplayer just because it makes sense financially.

Also both companies are insane for not bundling a 3$ hdmi cable ugh.

The Lamp

Happy. Cross-game chat would be nice but it's not a game-breaker for me. Steam is perfection, but PSN is pretty good for a free service.

LuchaShaq said:
Doesn't make it the right choice when it comes to creating an online community.

Doubt you defend Microsoft for charging tons for wireless/hard drives/multiplayer just because it makes sense financially.

Also both companies are insane for not bundling a 3$ hdmi cable ugh.

They don't need to waste money bundling a headset. It's freaking bluetooth, they come in all prizes and sizes and most people have one lying around somewhere anyway.

DrPirate

Banned
Roto13 said:
Considering 95% of people who play online are obnoxious fuckwits, I'm pretty ok with the fact that I don't have any emotional attachment to any online gaming community.

I hate you all.

This. I have a mic for 360, PS3 and PC and I prefer not to chat with anyone. I hate most of the randoms that play online. I just voice chat on the rare occasion I play with friends.

Queeg

I'd been happy with it up until this morning, when I woke up to find the dumb fuckers had once again pushed another demo to me in the auto-updates. I'm already a PSN+ member so I know full well where the store is and if I wanted to waste my monthly bandwidth (which I already use all of each month) I would've downloaded the FUCK'n demo myself. Now there is another game on my list to never buy. Thankfully I'm not someone stuck on Wireless only as it'd be a huge chunk out of the monthly usage or possibly $100's of extra charges.

Top Bottom