• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you happy with Sony's handling of the PS3's online community?

MercuryLS

Banned
Canova said:
for free service, I think they've done a great job

Agreed, I would like to see more a community feel for PSN. I think the biggest problem here is that they didn't include a cheap headset with the machine like MS did.

I prefer the PS3 over the 360, but I have been more disappointed with the PS3 in terms of the community this generation. In my opinion, it seems like Sony gets so close to actually "getting" it and then just dropping the ball. And not even with the community, it seems that way in everything they have done this generation.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Only thing that's bugging me is the poor implementation of leaderboards. They update so slowly and most games I played for high scores had some kind of problem with the leaderboards in the beginning, some games still do, I think. Oh, and they should really automatically update your trophies.

My experience with Cross Game Chat on the 360 with people playing different games online probably was the worst online experience I ever had, so I can gladly live without it. It makes setting up an online session in a game easier, though.

if youre playing alone, its great.

if youre playing with friends, its pretty bad.

its free, so thats its excuse.

but i would pay the $3/$4 a month that i do for XBL if it meant a smoother online experience with friends.

I'm fine with it.

My biggest want is custom soundtracks across all games, but in terms of getting online and playing, it's fine and free.

after 6 emails and 100's of tries on their websites....they still havent reset my password. i give less than a shit about sony at this moment.

I get much, much lower speeds in games and when downloading things on PSN as opposed to XBL, so personally I am not impressed by that aspect. In terms of functionality, I think they've come a long way and offer a good service, when it works.

DR3AM said:
its great for a free service but not compared to xbl, its meh

That is not much of a comparison considering that not only do you have to pay for live but Live is an older service and was established in a previous generation.

The PSN is great for something that was created this gen and it is obvious where Sony is trying to make their own angle on the online community service.

But considering what I use PSN for (games and media) it is perfect for me, I tend not to socialize much when playing games even if I have the option.

Roto13

panama chief said:
after 6 emails and 100's of tries on their websites....they still havent reset my password. i give less than a shit about sony at this moment.
And you can't reset it from a PlayStation because...?

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I'm ok with it, its their first major try at it and they set a decent framework. I'm expecting the PS4 era to have a more unified network

KageMaru

GraveRobberX said:
For some the $60 fee, yes $60, that is how much XBL costs, (yes you can go look for deals or wait for them too come along, but that alone tells you people don't want to pay for it) this feature is the be all, end all feature (include party chat in there too). If you think it's worth it yes, go ahead pay. From my viewpoint I think it's ridiculous to pay for those features.

Dude I think both services are great but have been trying way too hard here. Every one of your posts has killed your credibility more and more due to how biased you sound.

It's... OK. Make no mistake, Sony would probably implement new features if they could, but XMB OS is a hackjob. Vita clearly shows they're interested in cross-game chat etc. PS4 will launch with a much richer online offering but I bet online play will require a subsciption. There is no way Sony will pass an oportunity to earn billions of dollars in extra revenue from such a scheme. No way.

snap0212

Lagspike_exe said:
It's... OK. Make no mistake, Sony would probably implement new features if they could, but XMB OS is a hackjob. Vita clearly shows they're interested in cross-game chat etc. PS4 will launch with a much richer online offering but I bet online play will require a subsciption. There is no way Sony will pass an oportunity to earn billions of dollars in extra revenue from such a scheme. No way.
I doubt they'll start charging for basic online gaming. I think they'll just hide everything else behind a paywall (PS+ exclusive). They're already not adding new features for users who don't pay for PS+ (Cloud storage and Trophy synching [lol] for example).
Billychu said:
What is this XMB Chat thingy?
Seems to be some kind of secret club. :(

I think the PSN and XBL are fairly equal. But that's because I don't use voice chat on either, so the party chat thing doesn't matter at all. Skype fo lyfe, y'all.

Am I satisfied with them? Sure. They both could be better, but they allow me to get into games and play with friends and that's a fun thing to do... so im cool with them both.

KageMaru said:
Dude I think both services are great but have been trying way too hard here. Every one of your posts has killed your credibility more and more due to how biased you sound.
I don't see anything outrageous about that post you quoted.

mrklaw said:
I don't understand why its 'half assed' and 'Live is miles better'? Those kinds of comments seem to always go hand in hand with cross game chat and thats about it.

Can someone please point out other features that make Live so massively better, because otherwise I'll have to assume thats just hyperbole.

Pull XGC out of the equation and answer the question again? Are they so massively different?

XBL lets you automute others instantly across the board. On PSN you have to mute each person one by one for each game session you play.

Top Bottom