• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Assignment 123: Entropy

Status
Not open for further replies.

pringles

"[..]Inevitable and steady deterioration of a system or society."

Theme: Entropy

Basically, things that are broken, worn down, or in some way devolved and detoriated from their original state.

Submissions are due by Monday, January 9th 11:59 PM.

Voting begins Tuesday January 10th at 12:00 AM and ends Wednesday January 11th at 11:59 PM

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos posted in assignment thread should be no larger than 1024 pixels on the long edge. You may include a link to a higher resolution version.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads.

5) Have fun!

GAF Photography Assignment Threads FAQ

pringles

..so I guess everyone is as busy as me with christmas preparations :p

Extended the deadline a week, come on guys, surely you've got some broken down, rusted, torn or worn stuff around to shoot!

.. that goes for you too pringles!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
6489659101_efeb0cbd41_b.jpg

Exposure: 1/250s
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 28mm
ISO Speed: 100
Equipment: Rebel XT w/ Nikkor 28/2 Ai
Processing: CS3 (RAW Converter), resize and sharpening, Nik Silver Efex B&W conversion

Maiar_m

I have a suggestion for you pringles.

Let's say we keep this assignment open, but "on hold" until the end of the holiday season. Say it starts back on January 2nd and closes on January 9 2012.

In the meantime, you open a new assignment, just for kicks, with a theme like "Festivities" or "Christmas" or something like that, where people will post the one picture they think best represents the coming two weeks.

There's nothing to win, but if you guys are in, it could be fun.

pringles

I have a suggestion for you pringles.

Let's say we keep this assignment open, but "on hold" until the end of the holiday season. Say it starts back on January 2nd and closes on January 9 2012.

In the meantime, you open a new assignment, just for kicks, with a theme like "Festivities" or "Christmas" or something like that, where people will post the one picture they think best represents the coming two weeks.

There's nothing to win, but if you guys are in, it could be fun.
Not a bad idea, but I was hoping we could have finished this assignment up and then started a new one with a "Christmas/Holidays" theme. If we don't get some more entries we might have to go with putting it on 'hold', if everyone's ok with that.

zbroome

Neo Member
Its a tough one,

this one is from a lighthouse that Katrina destroyed when it came in to Gulfport, MS and the other is a boat tie cleat from the same area, the whole area is abandoned and people just go there to do graffiti and drugs

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

mcrae

Going to make a solid effort to take a few pictures after work tonight, hope I can upload them before midnight.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I'm cool with putting it on hold too. I really like the theme and want to see what other people produce.

I'll third this suggestion. I really like the theme, but Christmas has me in a different sort of mood and I just can't muster up the ambition to go shoot something so depressing.

aidan

4.jpg

Camera Canon EOS digital Rebel XT
Focal Length 69 mm
Shutter Speed 1/80 sec.
Aperture 5.6
ISO/Film 400

sneaky77

I'll third this suggestion. I really like the theme, but Christmas has me in a different sort of mood and I just can't muster up the ambition to go shoot something so depressing.

Yea I think just extending the date to january or something would help also people are really busy this time of the year

Red

Took some preliminary pictures tonight, but had issues with my remote switch and poor weather. Couldn't get what I wanted because of cloud cover, but found a more powerful image while I was toying with things.

Won't be able to finish until the weekend. Still I'm excited about it.

Looks like this one died. I always read these, rarely participate. I should change that. I feel like these have died off. They were doing really well early on. Might be a time for a reboot? Especially considering this never ended leaving a holiday themed oppertunity out of the cards. Such a shame.

pringles

Looks like this one died. I always read these, rarely participate. I should change that. I feel like these have died off. They were doing really well early on. Might be a time for a reboot? Especially considering this never ended leaving a holiday themed oppertunity out of the cards. Such a shame.
I don't know if they've 'died off'. We've had some pretty active assignments not so long ago. Participation has always been up and down imo. Although if I'm not mistaken in the beginning the threads were stickied which obviously helped. People forget the assignments exist now because they fall off the first few pages so fast. And the overall quality has probably increased in these threads (as well as for PhotoGAF as a whole) while the quantity has gone down. In early assignments you were just as likely to see cell-phone photos as you were to see absolutely proffessional work.

A reboot isn't going to change things a lot, it's probably still going to come down mainly to the themes (how open and 'easy' they are) and how often the thread is bumped or linked in the main photo thread. Imo it'd be great if the main photography thread was stickied and the OP of that thread had a link to the assignments.

As for this assignment, yeah it's a shame we couldn't finish it up weeks ago. We have like 8 people who have posted about them going to enter it but have failed to produce anything :-/ it's a busy time of year though.

Damaged

As for this assignment, yeah it's a shame we couldn't finish it up weeks ago. We have like 8 people who have posted about them going to enter it but have failed to produce anything :-/ it's a busy time of year though.

I'm guilty of that im afraid, started out with the best of intentions of going out to shoot but haven't managed to get off my arse yet

mcrae

there was this old rusted out, had to have been 40 year old train car sitting off the main line in my town.. 7 years ago

i went looking tonight around midnight thinking to get some decent night shots of it, and submit one here, but not only was the train nowhere to be found, the tracks themselves.. where i remember them anyways, were missing as well. lol

Maiar_m

I'll go with this

This part of the city always felt a little bit older each time I passed by. In retrospect, it was.

aidan

Nikon D7000 + 35mm
5s
f/6.3
ISO 200

4.jpg

Camera Canon EOS digital Rebel XT
Focal Length 69 mm
Shutter Speed 1/80 sec.
Aperture 5.6
ISO/Film 400

Canon EOS 7D
17mm
f/14
12s
ISO 160

IMG_0115 by AdamJ2012, on Flickr

Rebel t3i
ISO 3200
f/4
1/120
28mm

I'll go with this

Let the voting (finally!) begin.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

This photo is so cold and very compelling. There's a mixture of color being stolen from the world and a feeling of loneliness that really hits the assignment subject. The stream of brake lights across the frame (which I love how its been framed) gives a sense of disregard for the sole human subject that obviously needs help. There's also the blurring of the human subjects face, the individuality is lost by this but you then can more easily place the subject in a space that pertains to all humans due to this. Really love this photo.

I dig the framing and composition here. Very desolate and makes you think about the structures below and when taking the assignment subject in mind what they house now.

inner-G

Banned
Hope I'm not too late for this, not entirely happy with the shot but i ran out of time trying to find the right subject

I vote for this one.

Love the textures, and the exposure is very well executed.

Even though the 'subject' is centered, the composition is still very dynamic. Nice shot!

pringles

aidan: thanks for rounding up the entries, I'm away from home without access to a computer since yesterday morning and for another day or two so I appreciate the help.

My votes:

1. BlueTsunami
2. Youta

thatbox

Banned
First place: Crunched - I absolutely love the concept and you executed it well.

Runner-up: youta - You're the only one who truly nailed the assignment theme, to me.

Honorable mentions:

BlueTsunami: At first I didn't "get" your photo and was bothered by the framing. But when you look at it as a composition of shapes at two levels you can start to appreciate the implied metaphor. Well done.

pringles: I really like your shot, but it just doesn't capture the theme for me. It's very serene and orderly. I like the choice to slightly skew the shot, though - it makes your eyes move along the lines very smoothly.

pringles

Okay, the final score is in:

11 - BlueTsunami
10 - Crunched
6 - youta
4 - Maiar_M, Damaged
3 - aidan, pringles
1 - zbroome

1st Place : BlueTsunami
6489659101_efeb0cbd41_b.jpg

2nd Place : Crunched

3rd Place : youta
entropy.jpeg

Congratulations Blue!

Thanks to everyone who participated in this assignment. Great photos guys!

Damaged

Congrats Blue!!

Really chuffed I got a few votes this time as I thought the standard was very high

@Damaged: almost got my vote, but the framing wasn't right enough for me.

Fair play, how do you think I could have improved it? any input is appreciated.

I vote for this one.

Love the textures, and the exposure is very well executed.

Even though the 'subject' is centered, the composition is still very dynamic. Nice shot!

Thanks very much :)

1. Blue
2. Damaged

Thanks!

Looking forward to the next Assignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom