• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread of Roundcats Up in This

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Every season I look over the list and I see only crap.

Then again, every season I discover that there was something really good 6 months-2 years ago, and I think "how the hell did I miss that when it was new?" :p

Because every season there will be people claiming this season is shit, will judge a show by a one sentence blurb and a tiny photo (maybe if they're generous even a PV), there is nothing worth watching, this director sucks, this animation studio has never churned out anything good, and various other reasons as to why this show couldn't possibly be good.

That being said this season sucks.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It focuses on the brother more than the sister.
ZtdGP.png

Chihayafuru 5:
This was yet another great episode, in what is clearly one of the more consistently great anime out there. I think Arata was portrayed just right, giving a bit of mystery to what has happened with him at first, and then pulling in closer and fleshing out his motivations more. The ending to the episode was lovely to behold.

Jex

I think everyone is just looking for something to make fun of, and Shaft just makes itself too easy a target.

To be fair, SHAFT does a lot to make themselves a target. From their sporadic animation, self-indulgent and inconsistent direction all paired up with a need to serve creepy otaku fetishes.
Started watching Sailor Moon, it's fun. In fact, I've watched 7 episodes in the span of a day which I don't usually manage.

There's no real point in talking about each episode individually[...]

Tell that to darkside31337!

Noirulus

Da Capo 1 - 3

I dropped this a couple years ago, but decided to give it a try again.

Just as bland and crap as I remember it being. Sigh.

Are there any shounen romances worth watching from the past few years? (Other than true tears)

Jex

I think I can confidently say now, having seen episode 10, that the loli snake arc was worse than the loli snail arc.

...I can't believe I just typed that. :/

While 'which bad arc is worse' isn't really that interesting I'm marginally concerned with which 'version' of episode 10 is worse. Then one with no animation at all, or the one with lots of animation being used to serve a disturbing purpose?

Actually, that's not interesting either. It's just bad all around.

sleepykyo

That being said this season sucks.

That depends on

1. Whether Natsume S4 intends on mixing up the usual forever alone stuff with fleshing out the hunter society from season 3 (well I think they had a quick cameo in season 2).

2. Chihayafuru falls apart in the second season.

Oh Fate/Zero seems pretty well received right?

Jex

That depends on

1. Whether Natsume S4 intends on mixing up the usual forever alone stuff with fleshing out the hunter society from season 3 (well I think they had a quick cameo in season 2).

It's not airing this season.

While 'which bad arc is worse' isn't really that interesting I'm marginally concerned with which 'version' of episode 10 is worse. Then one with no animation at all, or the one with lots of animation being used to serve a disturbing purpose?

Actually, that's not interesting either. It's just bad all around.

It is. Pointless story, animated or not. I don't really see the snail arc as bad though, if not as good as the crab or monkey ones. It dragged on too long and had some direction issues but it had some neat conversations with Senjougahara, some amusing behavior by Hachikuji, and well-executed story beats.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That depends on

I was joking. The season looks fine. But then again I don't really expect much during a Winter season.

I really liked Natsume S3 evidently there a few people who didn't, shrug. And then theres Nise.

And there is no Fate/Zero till Spring.

Jex

It is. Pointless story, animated or not. I don't really see the snail arc as bad though, if not as good as the crab or monkey ones. It dragged on too long and had some direction issues but it had some neat conversations with Senjougahara, some amusing behavior by Hachikuji, and well-executed story beats.
You're right, the Snail Arc only suffers because it was about one episode too long. The snake arc was just a waste of space.
Exactly. Snail arc at least has its moments, while snake arc has little to offer unless you, like Kanbaru, are into naked lolis.
Hey now, that's Kanbaru and Araragi.

Jex

Agreed.

The performances are really spectacular.

Watch it Jex, and give us episode by episode impressions!

I do believe I've already seen the first episode, I guess I better put it on my backlog.
Are we allowed to post spoilers from manga here (with tags)? Because curiosity got the better of me and I ended up reading what happens in the romance aspect of Chihayafuru up to the latest volume available in japan.

No, also, why would you do that? You'll just become the manga > anime guy!
Is Metropolis worth my time? Heard very mixed reviews from friends.

Absolutely, you should watch it when you have the time.
I thought it was mediocre, but other opinions are available.
I really liked it, although it's been a long time since I watched it. I remember the visuals and the story of the central characters being compelling, although the ending was rather out there.
For me it's probably the most formative film I've ever seen, from the formal elements to the narrative elements. Hell, even the music is absolutely fantastic, some of the best original New Orleans style jazz I've heard outside of New Orleans. It's sort of rushed, but for the overall it's a phenomenal film as far as I'm concerned, and absolutely beautiful to behold. Watch it.
I can't tell if we're discussing the original live action version or the anime!

wsippel

Banned
It was a mid-season 1 episode, I will look into season 2. I did see a clip of some sort of ball-game that looked impressive as well.
There are two Boufbowl matches. Late first season and midway through season two. Both are great, but the first one is several episodes long and more "epic". It's generally a good idea to watch the whole thing in order, though.

Recorder to Randoseru 1

Kind of hard to judge from 3 minutes, but it's amusing enough I guess and not a huge time commitment, so I'll watch more. Hope they end up focusing on the sister as well.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Now and Then, Here and There 1

Well, this is going to be fun...

So we get to meet this young boy with a penchant for spitting his food at family and knocking over shit who's looking to score with this girl at school if he can win his match today. So he brings his godlike Ken in against this lame ass Guile, and rushes in going SHORYUKEN! SHORYUKEN! and it's not fucking doing anything. He thinks he's clearly winning though because the other dude hasn't even attacked yet, so he tries mixing it up by jumping behind him and doing an EX Shoryuken, but it doesn't hit the guy and then suddenly he lost.

NTHT01-Loss_zps4cd55a23.jpg

"What the fuck?," he shouts. He's so enraged by the other guy's weak play that he throws down his controller and decides to knock over more shit. He cools off though and tries to talk up his opponent for a rematch, saying how awesome the match was and how he almost had that one. The Guile player turns him down though, saying he doesn't want to play him again and calls him a scrub. Our hero doesn't get why, so the other guy talks about using more than one attack, blocking, and having a gameplan. Our hero is confused and thinks he's bullshitting, and that's when he comes up with the idea of hacking to get a leg up on cheap players like him. From then on he decides the normal rules no longer apply to him, and goes around proving this.

NTHT01-Fall1not_zpsf5db9e2a.jpg

"Look at this balance."

NTHT01-Fall2_zpsc959b5be.jpg

"Shit doesn't hurt."

NTHT01-Fall3_zps0ed51dea.jpg

"Shit still doesn't hurt."

NTHT01-Powerofwood_zps5a44a420.jpg

"Fuck yeah."

"This is true skill. Players online don't know what's coming for them."

Solune

Now you're just using logic and other fair aspects to make Kanasnake worse =(
I'm so sorry I let you down, Solune. :(
At least you saw it through, I don't feel salty at all.

Just sad.

And lonely.

waaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute, that's the naked girl from the Nisemonogatari trailer!?
Upgrade of the season.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Is Metropolis worth my time? Heard very mixed reviews from friends.
The only thing I remember about it, is it's use of "I can't stop loving you" which is a really awe-inspiring sequence, worth watching just for that!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Now and Then, Here and There 1

Well, this is going to be fun...

So we get to meet this young boy with a penchant for spitting his food at family and knocking over shit who's looking to score with this girl at school if he can win his match today. So he brings his godlike Ken in against this lame ass Guile, and rushes in going SHORYUKEN! SHORYUKEN! and it's not fucking doing anything. He thinks he's clearly winning though because the other dude hasn't even attacked yet, so he tries mixing it up by jumping behind him and doing an EX Shoryuken, but it doesn't hit the guy and then suddenly he lost.

NTHT01-Loss_zps4cd55a23.jpg

"What the fuck?," he shouts. He's so enraged by the other guy's weak play that he throws down his controller and decides to knock over more shit. He cools off though and tries to talk up his opponent for a rematch, saying how awesome the match was and how he almost had that one. The Guile player turns him down though, saying he doesn't want to play him again and calls him a scrub. Our hero doesn't get why, so the other guy talks about using more than one attack, blocking, and having a gameplan. Our hero is confused and thinks he's bullshitting, and that's when he comes up with the idea of hacking to get a leg up on cheap players like him. From then on he decides the normal rules no longer apply to him, and goes around proving this.

NTHT01-Fall1not_zpsf5db9e2a.jpg

"Look at this balance."

NTHT01-Fall2_zpsc959b5be.jpg

"Shit doesn't hurt."

NTHT01-Fall3_zps0ed51dea.jpg

"Shit still doesn't hurt."

NTHT01-Powerofwood_zps5a44a420.jpg

"Fuck yeah."

"This is true skill. Players online don't know what's coming for them."

Fucking lol. You made me laugh even though the story in this is so depressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom