• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins 3D delayed

Shiggy

Ubisoft's latest Rayman game is arriving on 3DS on June 7th (EU) now. That's why we haven't seen the demo or any screens or even a video yet.

51%2BkUqyDjGL._AA300_.jpg

I'd assume that the game was just not ready and they wanted to avoid some graphical errors (as with the Wii port) in this version, since the 3D conversion could be a bit more complex.

Good to see they're taking their time with it. Hopefully it'll make up for the lack of the Vita version's glorious resolution with some similarly glorious 3D.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I've been wondering about this one.

The problem I see is simply that the resolution of too low. 400x240 is awfully small for this game as it was designed. Most of its levels were designed to be viewed from a distance with Rayman taking up a very small portion of the screen.

The Vita versions allow pinch to zoom, which is cool, but zooming in actually renders many of the levels almost unplayable as you are unable to see what is coming next (as the game is very fast paced at times). If they keep the default view, things would be too small and pixelated but if they zoom in the game could become unplayable.

I'm really curious to see how they handle this port as the beautiful 2D is a perfect fit (oddly enough) for 3D.

zroid

Banned
That demo really needs to come out already. I need to see how this thing looks in 3D. Hope this delay means it won't be a rush job, 'cause I think the handheld format is perfect for this game.

Might end up being my first third-party 3DS game purchase!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Let's be honest Rayman 2 3D was only par with the Dreamcast verison.
Only par? It was well BELOW par, I'd say. The Dreamcast version ran at a smooth 60 fps with no graphical glitches while the 3DS version was a choppy bug fest.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
That demo really needs to come out already. I need to see how this thing looks in 3D. Hope this delay means it won't be a rush job, 'cause I think the handheld format is perfect for this game.

Might end up being my first third-party 3DS game purchase!

Resident Evil Revelations, SSFIV 3D Edition and Tales of the Abyss should be your first 3rd party 3DS purchases.
...And add there Rhythm Thief! :D

Shtof

Been playing this game on Vita and it's easily on of the best platformers in recent years, and among the best games released last year.

Thinking about getting a PS360 version to play with my gf, though, the 1080p resolution in those versions is just too fantastic to pass up on. It's pretty easy to notice that the game was designed to be played with a high resolution on a large screen when I play the Vita version at least. Then again, Vita version looks pretty much like a straight port, which probably won't happen on 3DS.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
having played through this game on a huge tv through an xbox, i have to say this is a great idea. the resolution will be a little lower, sure, but that 3D can make the world look gorgeous.

FGMPR

Banned
Having played the PC demo in 3D, I have to say that the effect works superbly with Rayman. Well enough that it stopped me from buying it on Vita to hold off for the PC release (even though its the kind of game I would prefer on the go).

edit: The poster who said they expected it to look like a pop-up book come to life... you wrote the words I couldn't think of. It really is like that.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I think Ubisoft realized how good it looked and went for the extra polish to make it a commercial success. Hope extra time means they will include a multiplayer mode.

tkscz

Been playing this game on Vita and it's easily on of the best platformers in recent years, and among the best games released last year.

Thinking about getting a PS360 version to play with my gf, though, the 1080p resolution in those versions is just too fantastic to pass up on. It's pretty easy to notice that the game was designed to be played with a high resolution on a large screen when I play the Vita version at least. Then again, Vita version looks pretty much like a straight port, which probably won't happen on 3DS.

Get the PC version, you can still play with four gamepads on one PC.

Back on topic, I hope they did it to add online multiplayer on there, it was missing from the Vita version.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I was waiting too see how this version turned out (where is my demo?), but this delay just might push me to completely veto the 3DS version and pick up a copy for the HD Twins or Vita. I'm getting a Vita next month, so I'll be making a final decision then....

Edit: The only reason I have waited this long is because I prefer my 2D platformers on handhelds.

Shiggy

Online multiplayer is probably not viable for a game like this. Internet connections would need to improve vastly. Not even the 360/PS3 versions had an online multiplayer.

Lausebub

Banned
Didn't they say that it was more of an original title and not a straight port like the Vita version? I'm sure they said that a few months ago...gonna look it up on Nintendo Go.

So they'll release it, full price, when every other version is on sale for $10,-. Then then wonder why it doesn't sell on 3DS and they'll stop making games for 3DS.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Good if its at least a competent port but with the Vita version out and all the other versions on PC,PS3, and 360 being below 30, I hope Ubisoft doesn't mess up the price.

Top Bottom