• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: 3D Dot Game Heroes

digdug2

3D Dot Game Heroes (3DDGH) is a PS3 exclusive released in 2009 in JP, and 2010 in NA/EU. It was created by Tokyo-based Silicon Studio, who primarily specializes in computer graphics and middleware engines, and was created primarily as a way for them to show off their newest middleware technology. 3DDGH was published by From Software in JP, Atlus USA in NA, and SouthPeak Games in EU.

ZrJi6IC.jpg

The game plays homage to many of the original RPG series, including The Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest among other NES-era games. The gameplay itself closest resembles The Legend of Zelda, as players travel screen-by-screen throughout the land of Dotnia and an overhead view is implemented. Many of the TLOZ staples are in this game, such as having a longer attack range when at full life. There are other items that can be obtained too, such as bows, lanterns, boomerangs, etc.

This game also featured a pretty comprehensive character creator that allows you to create your hero dot by dot.

The soundtrack was also quite interesting, as it had modern day takes on chiptune music. Even if you've never played the game, there's a good chance that you've heard the track 'Breakout', as it's the outro for Scott the Woz's YouTube videos.

It's a shame that this game was only released on PS3 and has never seen the light of day on any newer consoles.

ZoolNL

3D Dot Game Heroes (3DDGH) is a PS3 exclusive released in 2009 in JP, and 2010 in NA/EU. It was created by Tokyo-based Silicon Studio, who primarily specializes in computer graphics and middleware engines, and was created primarily as a way for them to show off their newest middleware technology. 3DDGH was published by From Software in JP, Atlus USA in NA, and SouthPeak Games in EU.

ZrJi6IC.jpg

The game plays homage to many of the original RPG series, including The Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest among other NES-era games. The gameplay itself closest resembles The Legend of Zelda, as players travel screen-by-screen throughout the land of Dotnia and an overhead view is implemented. Many of the TLOZ staples are in this game, such as having a longer attack range when at full life. There are other items that can be obtained too, such as bows, lanterns, boomerangs, etc.

This game also featured a pretty comprehensive character creator that allows you to create your hero dot by dot.

The soundtrack was also quite interesting, as it had modern day takes on chiptune music. Even if you've never played the game, there's a good chance that you've heard the track 'Breakout', as it's the outro for Scott the Woz's YouTube videos.

It's a shame that this game was only released on PS3 and has never seen the light of day on any newer consoles.

I regret selling this game and my ps3.. what a beautiful game!

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Cute game. I had it for years and just recently finished it. I didnt get the true ending. When i saw what i needed to do to get the true ending, i ejected the disc, put it back in its case, and placed it back on the shelf lol.

Very fun game but ultimately a bit shallow for me. Like, it didn't really have any original ideas in the gameplay department but for a clone it's definitely solid. The graphics and the gimmick really works and adds a lot to the game!

CamHostage

I was really surprised that this didn't get a port-over to 3DS or Vita or maybe Wii U in their day. These seemed like the right platform to try again or to keep the brand going. This would have been a jam on a portable.

(Silicon Studio's YEBIS lighting technology and possibly other tech used to make 3D Dot Game Heroes show off its cool novelty effects and distinct look, was never ported to 3DS, so that could have been a problem, but they did make their own 3DS games anyway so maybe there was a way around that challenge, or actually, maybe a 3DS port of this and the supporting tech system could have helped more developers adopt its middleware for 3DS games? Silicon did the Bravely series but I don't think they built any communal 3DS tools for those projects.)

Last edited:
It was a cool Zelda 1 clone with an awesome art style. I'd love an HD remaster and sequel.

I remember this came out after Demon's Souls, but before Dark Souls. It has a secret dungeon that was full of Demon's Souls references.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Silicon Studio should make more games, their last game was Bravely Second
Still don't get why they weren't hired to work on Bravely Default 2

It is a fun game. A nice Zelda 1 clone. Not tons going for it once you get past the dot style aesthetic, but I really did enjoy it.
The visuals got me interested. But I got bored after a few hours of it, I'd rather play Neutopia II if I'm to play a Zelda clone.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

poodaddy

I wanna play this so bad. I'd always assumed it would eventually get a digital release but for some reason it never happened. I've got a PS3, maybe I should bite the bullet and try to find a copy.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I really should play this one some day. Wonder if could get a copy to emulate, since I don't have a PS3.

Is there any chance of a port at this point? That would be preferable for sure.

Griffon

Last time I tried it with RPCS3 it ran but randomly crashed. I await the day it'll finally work to do a rerun.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I still have this game for my ps3. Back in the day I got the trophy for getting through the entire game without getting hit once (spelunky mode I think?).
I'd love to see a sequel to this but it's a very charming game and one of the best exclusives on the system.

Knightime_X

Last time I tried it with RPCS3 it ran but randomly crashed. I await the day it'll finally work to do a rerun.
I was able to play the game about a month ago for about an hour and no crashes.
Game used to crash immediately upon entering any building or cave.

Last edited:
Top Bottom