• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP PlayStation 3 - Please recommend me exclusives

sublimit

Banned
Great purchase OP,the PS3 is a great system with a very diverse library. I recently bought a 2nd PS3 (Slim) to have with me here where i currently live and also as a back up in case my super slim PS3 that i have back home ever dies. I love the system and the design of the Slim is one of my favorite console designs.
I also have a broken fat PS3 that i want to fix one day in order to have all 3 versions fully playable.

As for recommendations i see others have you covered already. :)

engstra

Thanks for the list, unfortunately, it does not list games that were later ported to PS4.

I will try to comment on all games that have been mentioned so far (and thanks for everyone giving recommendations):

Games I have now on my list to buy - in addition to the ones in op
Valkyria Chronicles (Only physical version available, I forgot about it)
Initial D (Japanese import game)

Games on my maybe list
Uncharted 1-3 (I did not like Golden Abyss and saw it as a sub-par tps with eye candy, but I have played all PS1/PS2 Naughty Dog games and might give that series another try)
ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection (appear to be a bit empty and not focussed on gameplay that much, but they are not excessively expensive and fit one of my favourite genres)
Infamous 1&2 (I will need to look into them a bit more, I thought they were a bit like GTA, which I do not like, but people here have talked about its platforming aspects that seem to be good)
Heavy rain (I like visual novels so it could be a good choice)
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift & Apocalypse (probably not arcady enough for me, but we'll see; probably very cheap)
Puppeteer (a platformer, so judging by genre a good choice. It looks a bit like LBP though, in terms of physics...)
Tales of Symphonia HD (probably cheaper than getting the GameCube version)

Games I will likely skip but do not rule out altogether
Last of Us (I dislike stealth, shooter, resource management and setpiece design - so basically everything except the story, most likely)
Journey (I do not like the "artsy feely indie games" as I call them, but I did enjoy RiME a bit)
Tales of Xillia (I like RPGs but I have no Tales games, however, I have been told I should buy Symphonia first and play from there. Until I reach Xilia, I probably lose my interest in the series)
Drakengard 3 (I do not know games 1 & 2)
No no kuni (If I want it, I can get it on Switch)
Heavenly Sword (I do like their DMC, so it is possible I will like that as well, but it got a bad reputation so it is not something I am very interested in)

Games I need to get some info before because I do not know them
Folklore
Siren Blood Curse
Time crisis razing storm (does this make sense without pointer?)
Siren blood curse

Games I will certainly not buy
Resistance 3 (shooter)
Demon's Souls (soulslike)
Dragon's Crown
MGS Collection and Metal gear solid 4 (stealth)
Gran turismo 5 (sim)
Little big planet (played it several times. I think it is the worst platformer I have ever played and despise the physics)
Killzone 2 (shooter)
Sly collection + Sly 4 (already have them on Vita / PS2)
Prince of Persia HD Trilogy (fantastic games, but I already have them on GameCube)
Afrika (Sim)
Ratchet & Clank games (I already have them, except for the two spin off games)
Jak & Daxter collection (already have them on Vita / PS2)
Deadspace (shooter, also available on Xbox 360)
UFC Undisputed 3 (sports)
Soldner-X (I already have it on Vita, it's great)
ModNation racers (I already have it on Vita, it is a bit boring imo, but not bad. Just significantly worse than Mario Kart and Sonic All-Stars games)
Echochrome (I already have it for PSP, nice game)
Numblast (I need to hack the PS3 to use an Xbox controller, so no PSN games)
Yakuza (I hate Shenmue and GTA and this is basically a combination of both, right?)
Catherine (I have it for Xbox 360, it's good)
Persona 4 and 5 (I have Persona 2 for PSP and found it extremely boring, so not for me probably)
Wipeout HD (I have several Wipeout games, and the controls are just too floaty for me)
Eternal Sonata (also available for Xbox)
Katamari Forever (I have a Katamari for Vita and while it was fun, it overstayed its welcome for me. I do not need more of that)
Tokyo Jungle (Survival)
Super Stardust HD (PSN, not possible with a hacked PS3, which is necessary for my contoller of choice; would be a great fit otherwise)
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (I have it on Vita and it is quite nice)
Lolipop Chainsaw (I have it on 360 and it was fun)

I do not. PS4 is now the only Nintendo, Sega, Microsoft or Sony system I do not have (until PS5 and XSX release).
Fair, though wouldn't call Afrika a sim. There's a lot of customisation to do with the cameras but you don't really have to worry about that stuff. It's just a super chill, open world exploration game

I do not like shooter (outside of arcady space shooters) at all. Also I hate Dark Souls 3 for being way too slow and clunky in my eyes, so I just want to remark that those are no choices for me and similar games are not, either.

EDIT: Also I do not like stealth, so MGS4 is also out.

I recommend you quit this hobby then. Since it seems you do not like anything.

Agent X

Games on my maybe list
Uncharted 1-3 (I did not like Golden Abyss and saw it as a sub-par tps with eye candy, but I have played all PS1/PS2 Naughty Dog games and might give that series another try)
ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection (appear to be a bit empty and not focussed on gameplay that much, but they are not excessively expensive and fit one of my favourite genres)
Infamous 1&2 (I will need to look into them a bit more, I thought they were a bit like GTA, which I do not like, but people here have talked about its platforming aspects that seem to be good)
Heavy rain (I like visual novels so it could be a good choice)
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift & Apocalypse (probably not arcady enough for me, but we'll see; probably very cheap)
Puppeteer (a platformer, so judging by genre a good choice. It looks a bit like LBP though, in terms of physics...)
Tales of Symphonia HD (probably cheaper than getting the GameCube version)

I own all of the above except for the Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection (as I own those games separately on PS2) and Tales of Symphonia (not into RPGs). There are some seriously strong games in this list.

Even if you didn't like Uncharted Golden Abyss, give the other Uncharted games a try. I'd place U:GA as the second lowest overall in the series (only behind the first game, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune). U2 and U3 are two of the best PS3 games overall, so you should at least play those two...but I'd personally recommend all of them anyway. I'm sure you can get all of these games really cheaply now.

The inFamous games have some resemblance to GTA in that you go through a huge "living" city, and are structured with a main story progression along with a bunch of (often optional) objectives acting as side missions. As the game progresses, and you gain new abilities, the game feels less like GTA and more like a platform game.

MotorStorm games have a definite arcade flair. Much like the Uncharted series, you had the first game which was a great start, the second game which was a vast improvement, and the third game which was still excellent but maybe not quite as good as the second. Unlike the Uncharted series, MotorStorm doesn't have much lore or story continuity between games, so you could easily just get one at a time out of sequence.

I consider MotorStorm: Pacific Rift to be the best overall game in the series, while I view Apocalypse as the third best. What's the second best, you ask? Surprisingly, it's MotorStorm: Arctic Edge, which was released on the PSP and PS2.

If you like top-down racing games, MotorStorm RC is one of the best around. It's on PS3 and Vita, but only available as a download.

On that note, it's a shame that you're avoiding PSN downloadables, as there are some excellent PS3 exclusive games there.

Vawn

Banned
What FromSoftware did between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

817BWG97PfL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I recommend you quit this hobby then. Since it seems you do not like anything.
You are the second person saying this to me here! But I do like games a lot, it is just that I do not like quite a few very much, it is just very different to what most people like. E.g. here are my 16 favourite games (1 per series limit):
YEYVuCwl.jpg

Big thanks to Agent X Agent X your post was particularly helpful!

Last edited:
I think the main ones everyone would have recommended. I will mention only the less discussed but good ones.

Sly Collection
Sly 4
Folklore
Aquanaut's Holiday
Flower
Afrika
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

Last edited:
You are the second person saying this to me here! But I do like games a lot, it is just that I do not like quite a few very much, it is just very different to what most people like. E.g. here are my 16 favourite games (1 per series limit):
YEYVuCwl.jpg

Big thanks to Agent X Agent X your post was particularly helpful!

Very solid list of games, but unfortunately I feel like the days of good/amazing platformers are gone. Apperently, it's all about Walk forward into a room > witness a dramatic cut scene > kill a few bad guys > watch a cringy lesbo sex scene > another intense cut scenes to hype up the silly shock factor only plot > kill more bad guys > walk 20 feet forward > another dramatic cut scene > prince and repeat > goty 10/10.

:/

Gone are the days of old school actual gamy games. Where the story didn't matter and it was just goofy and fun gameplay AKA Conkers Bad Fur Day. That game would probably be considered racist and sexist today sadly because of the fucking snowflake self hating white snowmonkeys pussies who need to be oblitered or be put in a insane asylum.

Last edited:
Top Bottom