• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP PlayStation 3 - Please recommend me exclusives

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I have noticed that PlayStation 3s are being sold at ridiculous prices right now (got mine with two controllers and Burnout Paradise for 35€ incl. shipping) and even though there are very few PS3 games I am aware of that I want, I bought it, primarily for my article series about 3d platformers, so I could play the Ratchet games on PS3. Now the question is, which, if any, games I should get for the PS3. I already have all other consoles of that generation (so 360, Wii, DS, PSP), also a PSV and a PS2, but I do not have a PS4, so I am mostly looking for games that released on PS3 but for no other system outside of PS4.

I already bought
- Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
- Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
- Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty
- Ratchet & Clank: Nexus

I think about buying:
- 3D Dot Game Heroes (interesting, but very expensive)
- God of War 3
- God of War Ascension
- God of War Collection 2 (also pretty expensive, buying the PSP version would be cheaper, but the other two have priority over this one anyway)

- Ico / SotC Collection (I am not that optimistic that I will like them, but people keep telling me I will)

But I have no other games I am even aware of that would be interesting to me. My favourite genres are platformers (and Ratchet is on the absolute tail end of that, being a TPS with some mild platforming from my pov; I only bought them because I want to cover all retail 3D platformers and most other people classify them as platformers), Zelda/Metroid-style action-adventures and (pure) arcade racers.

Last edited:
Oh boy here we go.....
Uncharted collection
Infamous 1&2
The last of us
Grab turismo 5 (if you like racing sims, this bad boy is the baddest)
Demon souls(if you’re getting ps5 then don’t)
Little big planet
Heavy rain
Journey
Metal gear solid 4
Hmm that’s all I can remember now

Yoshi

Resistance 3
Demon's Souls
I do not like shooter (outside of arcady space shooters) at all. Also I hate Dark Souls 3 for being way too slow and clunky in my eyes, so I just want to remark that those are no choices for me and similar games are not, either.

EDIT: Also I do not like stealth, so MGS4 is also out.

Last edited:

kretos

Banned
God of War (all of them)

MGS collection + MGS 4

Sly collection + Sly 4

Resistance trilogy

Siren Blood Curse

Tales of Xillia

Prince of Persia HD Trilogy

Infamous 1 - 2

there are other games like Uncharted and Last of Us but it's better to play the remasters on PS4

-Arcadia-

Banned
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

s2wcWoX.jpg

Resistance trilogy (though fall of man is the best IMO)
Ratchet & Clank games - all of them
Uncharted games - all of them are excellent
God of War collection
God of War 3
God of war ascension
Demons Souls
Jak & Daxter collection
Deadspace - all of them
The Last of Us

mostly everything else is meh.

93xfan

Banned
OP, Ratchet and Clank Going Commando is the best game in the series imo. It’s such a good time.

I also recommend spending$6 on Jumping Flash 2. It’s a Ps1 game that is a ton of fun.

Also, ICO is truly a wonderful game

Last edited:

Yoshi

I shopuld have been clearer: I have all Jak, Ratchet and Sly games that are available on PS1, 2, P and Vita, so those collections are not important to me. It's really only about games on PS3 that are on no other system than PS4 (because I have all other systems).

Yoshi

This is a troll post, right?
No DS or MGS4 on your to-buy list?
Not a troll post. I have an Xbox One, only own DS3 for that and hate it with a passion. Demon's Souls to my best knowledge is going even more in the direction of what I hated about DS3. I have played MGS1, 2 and 5 and disliked them all, so indeed MGS4 is not on my to-buy list. Resistence and Gran Turismo are also absolutely out of question (and so are Halo, Gears and Forza on Xbox).

Perrott

Gold Member
Agent
Demon's Souls
Drakengard 3
Final Fantasy Versus XIII
Heavy Rain
Killzone 2
Metal Gear Solid: Legacy Collection
Metal Gear Solid 4
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
Motorstorm: Apocalypse
The Last Guardian

GametimeUK

Infamous 1 and 2 are big ones for me. I absolutely loved them games. I wish they were released from their 30fps shackles.

I'm still playing through my backlog, but here are some titles I can recommend so far (I've sorted away TPS/cover shooters and FPSs since that doesn't seem to be your thing).

Puppeteer
Time crisis razing storm (includes: Razing storm, Time crisis 4 and Deadstorm pirates)
LittleBigPlanet
Soldner-X
ModNation racers
Tales of Symphonia HD compilation
InFamous
Siren blood curse
Echochrome
Numblast

Get 3D dot game heroes if you're big fan of old school Zelda games. If you're a big fan of One piece, One piece pirate warriors is worth it just to see the OG cast animated in 3D and to play through some of the iconic acts leading up to the Marineford arc. Spelunker HD if you're into challenging 2D platformers. Get the Yakuza games If you haven't gotten the remaster collection and you want the non-politically correct versions.

I hear good things about Motorstorm pacific rift, but I haven't played it yet. There's a large amount of Japanese exclusives on it btw.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Trying to avoid the genres you said you don't like and I assume you had a 360

Journey
Flower
Persona 4 and 5
Yakuza 5
Uncharted 2 - its very much a shooter lite
Valkyria Chronicles
Catherine
No no kuni
Little Big Planet
Puppeteer
Motorstorm Pacific Rim
Folklore
Wipeout HD

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Get that Ico & Shadow of the Colossus, and the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection. I strongly recommend Resistance 3, but advise to avoid Resistance 1 & 2. You won't need them to understand the third game anyway.

Most have already been mentioned, but games I'd recommend you absolutely must try are:

The God of War series
Folklore
Puppeteer
Little Big Planet series
Infamous series
Uncharted series
The Last of Us
Journey
Flower
Catherine
Persona 5
Valkyria Chronicles
Heavy Rain & Beyond Two Souls
Gran Tourismo 6

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Sly Cooper Collection and Sly 4: Thieves In Time.

I liked them so much that I got the Platinum Trophy for all 4.

Infamous 1 has good 3d platforming.

Uncharted 2 is a classic. So is last of us upto some extent (imo)

God of War 3 is good too.

Overall as per your tastes I think infamous is highly recommended. If you like it, get part 2 as well. But part 2 has much lesser vertical climbing sections or platforming.

Quasicat

I can’t give you anything over what has already been said as these lists are awesome.

What I would suggest is that you look on PSN for pricing. They are no longer doing deals, but a few years ago they dropped everything really low. I know the 2nd God of War Collection is $10 and has been for a while now.

-Tales games are awesome, they are different from tell tale , these are action RPGs if you have time to play them ,
-Level 5 games if you know them,
Souls games
-Japan studio games like sotc etc...
-Deadly permission "sorry if I misspell it"is an awesome hidden gem ,
-Shadows of the damned is awesome .

truth411

Uncharted 2 & 3
Infamous 1 & 2
Killzone 2
Resistance 3 (crazy fun weapons)
Superstar dust HD
God of War 3
Heavy Rain
Demon Souls
Heavenly Sword (yes I liked it)
MGS4 (good mixture of stealth and combat)

Edit: Motorstorm Pacific Rift!!!

Last edited:

darthvargi

It's not perfect and is a bit dated but PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is decent. It's not a full PS3 exclusive as it's on Vita too but I liked it. It's just different enough from the Smash series and has some strategy with saving your supers to make it worth playing.

Yoshi

I came here to mention this one!

here's a list of ps3 exclusive:
Thanks for the list, unfortunately, it does not list games that were later ported to PS4.

I will try to comment on all games that have been mentioned so far (and thanks for everyone giving recommendations):

Games I have now on my list to buy - in addition to the ones in op
Valkyria Chronicles (Only physical version available, I forgot about it)
Initial D (Japanese import game)

Games on my maybe list
Uncharted 1-3 (I did not like Golden Abyss and saw it as a sub-par tps with eye candy, but I have played all PS1/PS2 Naughty Dog games and might give that series another try)
ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection (appear to be a bit empty and not focussed on gameplay that much, but they are not excessively expensive and fit one of my favourite genres)
Infamous 1&2 (I will need to look into them a bit more, I thought they were a bit like GTA, which I do not like, but people here have talked about its platforming aspects that seem to be good)
Heavy rain (I like visual novels so it could be a good choice)
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift & Apocalypse (probably not arcady enough for me, but we'll see; probably very cheap)
Puppeteer (a platformer, so judging by genre a good choice. It looks a bit like LBP though, in terms of physics...)
Tales of Symphonia HD (probably cheaper than getting the GameCube version)

Games I will likely skip but do not rule out altogether
Last of Us (I dislike stealth, shooter, resource management and setpiece design - so basically everything except the story, most likely)
Journey (I do not like the "artsy feely indie games" as I call them, but I did enjoy RiME a bit)
Tales of Xillia (I like RPGs but I have no Tales games, however, I have been told I should buy Symphonia first and play from there. Until I reach Xilia, I probably lose my interest in the series)
Drakengard 3 (I do not know games 1 & 2)
No no kuni (If I want it, I can get it on Switch)
Heavenly Sword (I do like their DMC, so it is possible I will like that as well, but it got a bad reputation so it is not something I am very interested in)

Games I need to get some info before because I do not know them
Folklore
Siren Blood Curse
Time crisis razing storm (does this make sense without pointer?)
Siren blood curse

Games I will certainly not buy
Resistance 3 (shooter)
Demon's Souls (soulslike)
Dragon's Crown
MGS Collection and Metal gear solid 4 (stealth)
Gran turismo 5 (sim)
Little big planet (played it several times. I think it is the worst platformer I have ever played and despise the physics)
Killzone 2 (shooter)
Sly collection + Sly 4 (already have them on Vita / PS2)
Prince of Persia HD Trilogy (fantastic games, but I already have them on GameCube)
Afrika (Sim)
Ratchet & Clank games (I already have them, except for the two spin off games)
Jak & Daxter collection (already have them on Vita / PS2)
Deadspace (shooter, also available on Xbox 360)
UFC Undisputed 3 (sports)
Soldner-X (I already have it on Vita, it's great)
ModNation racers (I already have it on Vita, it is a bit boring imo, but not bad. Just significantly worse than Mario Kart and Sonic All-Stars games)
Echochrome (I already have it for PSP, nice game)
Numblast (I need to hack the PS3 to use an Xbox controller, so no PSN games)
Yakuza (I hate Shenmue and GTA and this is basically a combination of both, right?)
Catherine (I have it for Xbox 360, it's good)
Persona 4 and 5 (I have Persona 2 for PSP and found it extremely boring, so not for me probably)
Wipeout HD (I have several Wipeout games, and the controls are just too floaty for me)
Eternal Sonata (also available for Xbox)
Katamari Forever (I have a Katamari for Vita and while it was fun, it overstayed its welcome for me. I do not need more of that)
Tokyo Jungle (Survival)
Super Stardust HD (PSN, not possible with a hacked PS3, which is necessary for my contoller of choice; would be a great fit otherwise)
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (I have it on Vita and it is quite nice)
Lolipop Chainsaw (I have it on 360 and it was fun)

but he has a PS4
I do not. PS4 is now the only Nintendo, Sega, Microsoft or Sony system I do not have (until PS5 and XSX release).

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
A lot of it was covered.

Heavenly Sword
The Last Guy
Genji: Days of the Blade
Macross 30 (import)
Lost Planet: EX Troopers (import)

Last edited:

Romulus

Oh boy here we go.....
Uncharted collection
Infamous 1&2
The last of us
Grab turismo 5 (if you like racing sims, this bad boy is the baddest)
Demon souls(if you’re getting ps5 then don’t)
Little big planet
Heavy rain
Journey
Metal gear solid 4
Hmm that’s all I can remember now

Isn't GT6 basically the same game but improved?

Last edited:
Top Bottom