• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Quick and dirty edit:

ready.png

But its nowhere near some insane GAFers expectations... This will be a bitter day for some people when their "16 core" bubble bursts!

Its funny how we, "Nintendrones", or "Ninthings", or "NTards" called Nintendo fans have mostly a fairly reasonable expectation on hardware AND 3rd party support and the other groups have, by far, the most outlandish expectations you could have...

That's why the inevitable Nerd-Rage when the specs of the PS4 and 720 are known is going to be so amusing lol. There's a great deal of people that are expecting Samaritan quality games with all bells and whistles, and some of those have stated they won't get a next gen console if it doesn't happen. :Oo

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
@User Tron: you're slightly mixing OoO with super-scalarity there.

@DCKing: yes, and it was perhaps the 1st gpu suitable for that for a bunch of reasons.

MST3KGamera.jpg

Bye Third Wii U Speculation thread. I'll always remember you for making me insanely addicted to discussion of pre-launch news farther in advance than any console launch I've ever followed, increasing my GAF posting frequency greatly, letting me in on great industry/journalist insider info and reminding me of what a great resource GAF can be.

lednerg

That's why the inevitable Nerd-Rage when the specs of the PS4 and 720 are known is going to be so amusing lol. There's a great deal of people that are expecting Samaritan quality games with all bells and whistles, and some of those have stated they won't get a next gen console if it doesn't happen. :Oo

Even if PS4 and/or Xbox 3 could render Samaritan in quadruple HD @240fps, you've got maybe a handful of developers who might be able to pull off that kind of consistent quality for games longer than 6 hours. That's with dev cycles and budgets twice what they are now. We'll primarily be seeing current-day PC quality games for most of the generation, games which technically could run on current gen hardware at low graphical detail, but at high or ultra. It's going to be a good long while before these theoretical beasts will be maxed out. Hell, we've only recently started seeing HD consoles getting seriously pushed.

What's going to set next gen consoles apart from each other (and PC's) will be exclusive content, price, marketing, control interfaces, online plans, and extra non-gaming features. Raw horsepower is only going to matter to a very small segment of the population, as always.

Even if PS4 and/or Xbox 3 could render Samaritan in quadruple HD @240fps, you've got maybe a handful of developers who might be able to pull off that kind of consistent quality for games longer than 6 hours. That's with dev cycles and budgets twice what they are now. We'll primarily be seeing current-day PC quality games for most of the generation, games which technically could run on current gen hardware at low graphical detail, but at high or ultra. It's going to be a good long while before these theoretical beasts will be maxed out. Hell, we've only recently started seeing HD consoles getting seriously pushed.

What's going to set next gen consoles apart from each other (and PC's) will be exclusive content, price, marketing, control interfaces, online plans, and extra non-gaming features. Raw horsepower is only going to matter to a very small segment of the population, as always.

tl;dr: The winner is never the beast console

(I'm just hoping that non-gaming features don't take over from gaming features, frankly -- I get the feeling that Nintendo will be heavily targeting the former category with some of their new partners)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Ooh! New page!

Looks like we all have to say Farewell again.

Good-bye!

Forget a game. Just make a new show.
Hell, remake the old show with new graphics.
D:

Reboot was awesome, Bump in the Night was another great ABC Sat AM show. It's mindblowing what a wasteland mainstream network Saturday morning is. They either have nothing or the few shows they do have are edu-tainment, bleh.

lednerg

tl;dr: The winner is never the beast console

(I'm just hoping that non-gaming features don't take over from gaming features, frankly -- I get the feeling that Nintendo will be heavily targeting the former category with some of their new partners)

The intro video for Wii U did show off some of the non-gaming features of the console. Off the top of my head, I remember there being video chat, internet browser, online video playback, and drawing with the stylus. As much as gaming is Nintendo's bread and butter, they can't ignore all the feature-rich iOS and Android devices that have crept into the electronics market since the last round of console launches. Not that people would necessarily ditch their iPhones for a Wii U, it's just that being a jack of all trades is something people would expect from any tablet device nowadays. If Nintendo didn't even try branching out and just made it game-only, then it would be laughed off as merely being a simple toy.

Dawn of the final day: 72* posts remaining.

*Number may or may not be entirely accurate.

Yeah, more like twice that.

lednerg

You know, EuroMIX's post would have been the best ending to this thead, you jerks. ;P

I'll stop posting in this thread either when it gets locked or the other one gets re-titled Episode IV: A New Hype. It's like a very insignificant boycott, something which Nintendo fans should be familiar with.

EuroMIX

I'm surprised that the new thread got posted before this one was finished. I didn't really expect to have the last post (though I have been known in the past to kill threads on other forums without intending to).

This thread deserves a much better send-off than my post anyway, something like Sopranos where it just cuts off to Don't Stop

Log4Girlz

It won't be that level (I've always liked that demo). But looking at what they did with SMG on that level of hardware, and considering what they will have to work with next gen, I feel they can accomplish something amazing looking with the next Mario game on Wii U.

If they show it at E3...mother of god.

It won't be that level (I've always liked that demo). But looking at what they did with SMG on that level of hardware, and considering what they will have to work with next gen, I feel they can accomplish something amazing looking with the next Mario game on Wii U.

Well, hey, since Nintendo does water so well, maybe the next 3D Mario game will be composed entirely of water levels! :D

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I'll stop posting in this thread either when it gets locked or the other one gets re-titled Episode IV: A New Hype. It's like a very insignificant boycott, something which Nintendo fans should be familiar with.

Operation Threadfull

If they show it at E3...mother of god.

Many servers will die at that time.

The intro would have the lamp from the Pixar movie jumping around in a white background. Then Mario runs in and he and the lamp look at each other. They then start jumping around (Mario running and jumping) and eventually end up in an actual world. As they continue to do that, two people walk on stage with controllers showing they are controlling them in real time.

Well, hey, since Nintendo does water so well, maybe the next 3D Mario game will be composed entirely of water levels! :D

That's for the new Wave Race with optional Balance Board controls.

Many servers will die at that time.

The intro would have the lamp from the Pixar movie jumping around in a white background. Then Mario runs in and he and the lamp look at each other. They then start jumping around (Mario running and jumping) and eventually end up in an actual world. As they continue to do that, two people walk on stage with controllers showing they are controlling them in real time.

Holy shit, a Luxo Jr. platformer? I'm in, all chips!

I'm sorry, but Nintendo is doomed !

Because of Dragon Ball Z for Kinect announcement.

My dreams of really mimicking a Kamehameha with half a seconds worth of lag come true !!

Well, i guess it will be possible on Wii U (put the Wii-Remote compatibility aside) if i hold firmly the padlet, shake it near me, then move it suddenly toward the TV. Of course, like a Rösti post remind me of, a strap is a must-in to avoid breaking inadvertently and the DRC, and the main screen :p

Fixed lol

Shame that Microsoft decided to remove the CPU inside Kinect, the lag is a real dealbreaker for me. :eek:(

Still, there's always Kinect 2.0 to look forward to. :eek:D

I also find it odd that Microsoft didn't implement their own remote and nunchuck clones the way that Sony did. You as the controller is all fine and dandy as long as you're not playing any sort of shooter. :eek:/

And I'm really hoping that third parties aren't going to abandon pointer controls using the remote and nunchuck for TPS and FPS games on the U. Going back to archaic dual sticks after pointing and shooting is a real step backwards for me personally. Pointer controls will always be smoother, faster and more accurate than dual analogs.

I'd quite like to see hybrid controls for U games, have the touchscreen controller on your lap or table and use the remote and nunchuck to move and shoot. As long as you don't have anything mapped to a shake of the nunchuck it'll be easy to use your hand holding the nunchuck to press the touchscreen.

Top Bottom