• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer (Vita) |OT| The Death of a Once Great Franchise

Wonko_C

I haven't played Ridge Racer 3DS but am I wrong in saying those courses were lazily ported? The trees are too bright and almost cartoony, not to mention their geometry is a lot more simple compared to the other RR courses. Needless to say, they're completely new courses to me so I'll bite.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Okay so today is the last day to buy the game on PSN and still get the Gold Pass so I'm thinking about it today. I've been reading Wario's horror stories about the Gold Pass on his retail version. Evidently only the first print run of Ridge Racer came with the pass and even more astonishing is the fact that there was apparently more than one print for this game.

I honestly haven't been keeping track of this game at all since its horrendous reviews. Were those reviews fair? How much new content have they added since launch (like new tracks and what not). I really, really loved playing Ridge Racer on my PSP so how does this compare to that?

mangaroo

Banned
New update clocks in at 306MB. Mentions the second and third planned dlc....not sure what they have changed about them..but also says tweaked graphics...will give it a try in a bit. Picked up the silver pass since the first new track (and vehicle) are available here now.

Brigandier

New update clocks in at 306MB. Mentions the second and third planned dlc....not sure what they have changed about them..but also says tweaked graphics...will give it a try in a bit. Picked up the silver pass since the first new track (and vehicle) are available here now.

Just had a race on the new track oceanfront cruise way, I really like it.

Wonko_C

You sure that isn't the previous update? (1.01) That one was also 306mb and it said something about fixing the framerate. If it's new it isn't showing on my Live Area yet.

mangaroo

Banned
I quite like the track too, Brigandier, and the car is quite fun too. The next two tracks look even better though, can't wait. Hope we don't get a regional delay like with the gold pass, so far so good.

Wonko_C, I'm in EU (UK) and it shows up as ver 1.02 (Apr. 2012). Looking into the details it shows up what's going on:

Adjustments made to courses available as downloadable content on Playstation®Store
Update details:
Adjustments made to the following courses:

Redstone Thunder Road
Silver Mountain Skyway​

Failure to apply this update may result in glitches occurring during gameplay on the courses listed above.

-Various additional graphic tweaks

Guess it is just a coincidence that it is the same file size again? Or they just updated the same files.

Brigandier

2 new tracks 2 new cars up on EU store.

Gonna give them a whirl I will be hosting a lot so if you want to join my id is True_Weltall

mangaroo

Banned
Awesome! Didn't make us wait like before, much appreciated Namco!

Edit: The tracks are fun and just as I thought, I'm pretty satisfied with it now. A bronze dlc pass would seal it but would prefer new modes to be included/updated single player to reflect new tracks etc. That Evolver car is really fun as well, had to turn the drifting more down to mild with it first though.
This makes it a more complete, but still pick-up and play game. Limited to offline/online spot races or ghost challenges. Not too bad but a little bit bland still right?

Jonnyram

So is that it for DLC now?
I know there's still some Idolmaster EX cars and songs coming to Japan, but the Pac stuff coming out seems like the end of regular DLC? :(

So is that it for DLC now?
I know there's still some Idolmaster EX cars and songs coming to Japan, but the Pac stuff coming out seems like the end of regular DLC? :(

Hope there are more tracks coming, I need my Downtown Rave City fix on the Vita!

How about a title change? Despite Namco nearly destroying the title by rushing it out without enough development time and implementing the DLC plan from hell, Cellius has actually done right by Ridge Racer. Image if they had enough time to develop it properly?

Daytona USA x Ridge Racer DLC

1qcera.jpg

2rkiut.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=junEt-I9Q4I

It even includes a song remix.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't understand why they can't just patch in a simple arcade mode. That's all I'm asking!
This
A simple patch with a few tournaments, a few more tracks and trophies for it and this game will be redeemed

Is there any more DLC announced for Japan or that Japan got that NA hasn't yet? More tracks would be nice. I check every week and nothing :(

whitehawk

Banned
Posting this in here too

I think I may have discovered a neat easter egg in Ridge Racer. Googled, couldn't find anything.

If you press L + R at the title screen, you are presented with a digital clock. The squares represent the seconds.

iLIaB9ac7GiUg.jpg

ifRz1aNSMta13.jpg

Takao

Banned
I like how it says Ridge Racer on those screenshots twice, just in case you didn't know this was Ridge Racer.

Vodh

It does include everything (except for like 2 or 3 cars that weren't included in the gold or silver pass, but I cal live with that).

The game itself... It makes me sad that the original package was so limited, because the whole experience offers enough content to be considered a worthwhile purchase, and the gameplay is the perfect arcade Ridge Racer experience that I, as someone with very fond memories of the previous RR titles, am extremely pleased with.

If you like RR or just arcade racing games in general, buy the 10 quid discounted RR ultimate edition. It's worth it.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
It does include everything (except for like 2 or 3 cars that weren't included in the gold or silver pass, but I cal live with that).

The game itself... It makes me sad that the original package was so limited, because the whole experience offers enough content to be considered a worthwhile purchase, and the gameplay is the perfect arcade Ridge Racer experience that I, as someone with very fond memories of the previous RR titles, am extremely pleased with.

If you like RR or just arcade racing games in general, buy the 10 quid discounted RR ultimate edition. It's worth it.

Ultimate edition? Is that a EU store only thing? In the US store it just says "Ridge Racer".

Ultimate edition? Is that a EU store only thing? In the US store it just says "Ridge Racer".

I know. that's why I'm hesistant to bite.

re: ultimate edition on the eu store though.

I don't think its the same

http://community.eu.playstation.com...e-Edition-But-where-s-the-extra/td-p/16474033

[Solution!]
Re: I bought Ridge Racer Ultimate Edition. But where's the extra content.
Options

on 02-07-2012 05:40 PM
Go to the store and select PS Vita Extra's. It should be right under PS Vita games. Inside select Ridge racer and download the gold and silver pass first. It should show up as if you purchased it already. Then you can download all the seperate items.

Urgh???! the UE includes the gold+silver pass.

Didn't the game chug framerates? Or I'm thinking of another game, the promo on the eu store is appealing if at least it has the graphical fidelity im looking for

RpgN

Didn't the game chug framerates? Or I'm thinking of another game, the promo on the eu store is appealing if at least it has the graphical fidelity im looking for

It had framerate problems where it couldn't remain consistent with 30fps but that was fixed with a patch around launch.

Pretty cool game, it's typical RR gameplay but I like the slick menu, the way online and community are integrated, the progression system and the pick up and play nature if you don't have a lot of time.

Sorry for the ancient bump, but I just got a Vita and I'm a RR fan.

And another ancient bump. I picked up the Ultimate Edition of this in a sale for about €7 a few months ago and just got a Vita on Friday. Decided to download this and give it a go.

After having spent a fucking age downloading all the cars and tracks that for some fucking reason had to be downloaded separately I then spent 10 minutes looking for the single player or career mode or whatever it's called only to go online and find out it doesn't have one! What the fuck is this shit? I knew the game was bare bones on content but I thought it'd have some kind of main mode at the very least! Jesus christ, even for the €7 I spent on this it's still not worth it. So I'm basically supposed to time trial or race online over and over the same few tracks and that's all there is to the game?

Fuck you Namco.

I'm actually baffled. I cannot believe this doesn't have any career mode of any kind. Suddenly I understand all the outrage around the time it was released.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
One of the only Ridge Racer games I never bought/played, due to the reasons outlined above. Plus 30fps.....

Top Bottom