• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jane Jensen's Pinkerton Road Kickstarter project [Ended, $435K funded]

szaromir

Banned
Well, you're not gonna like this, then:

Don't get me wrong, I love Gabriel Knight, for all the crap GK3 for the cat fur moustache, the game also contained the best puzzle ever (Le Serpent Rouge), it just I'd prefer to get more information of Moebius and not be constantly reminded that Gabriel Knight is JJ's opus magnum and Moebius plays second fiddle in this entire scheme.

I wonder how much they can raise in these final hours.

mclem

I'm going to say "Yay, 400k". It's not actually there quite yet, but I need to go to bed, and it's technically there with Paypal. So "Yay, 400k!"

MrBud360

Yes it was a long journey. More then 40 days, wishing the best for Jane. We made it. Sierra is coming back somehow. Activision may have the rights for their games. But we, we have the passion.

nny

10 minutes to go...I guess it won't make it to 450...unless some rich person jumps in.

edit: big jump now - 6 or 7000$!

fov

PayPal donations will remain open - with PayPal people getting the same rewards as Kickstarter through May 25. (After that I think you'll just be able to get the games through PayPal, not the t-shirts etc.) So $450k is still attainable. :)

mclem

I'd like to hope that a $10k deficit is low enough that they'll decide to just do it anyway; it's not like stretch goals are particularly precisely priced up. Still, we'll see.

MrBud360

I've just created an image for Vivendi, Activision and everybody else that thought Sierra was dead.....

sierrax.jpg

I love when the people behind a project go out of their way to put up an update specifically to give a shout out to another project. The Space Adventure guys did an update to help give Jane's project a final push.

mclem

I love when the people behind a project go out of their way to put up an update specifically to give a shout out to another project. The Space Adventure guys did an update to help give Jane's project a final push.

In the 'thanks!' video Pinkerton's just done they return the favour to the Two Guys - along with also throwing a mention to Project Fedora. All helping each other, it's lovely :)

Just in case anyone's seen this and forgot to donate: They're keeping Paypal donations open for a little longer. After Friday they'll cut it down to only being a basic preorder, but for now you can get the full range of tiers still.

http://pinkertonroad.com/join-csg/

mclem

I can't help but wonder if there's a "What the hell, we'll do it anyway" level. For what it's worth, it's within about $25k of it right now.

And as if by magic:

Where is the funding at with Kickstarter and Paypal?

Kickstarter raised $435,316. Paypal has so far earned $8408 for a grand total of $443, 724. We will do the orchestration for the Moebius main theme for sure. As for the additional dialogue lines, we’ll have to see. We still need to calculate all our goodie costs and put together a final budget for Moebius.

Dundar

according to people who went to the open house of Pinkerton Road, the probability of MGX being an HD remake of Gabriel Knight 1 is very, very high. Almost definite, at this point. "Something" was shown, and also some smaller hints...

just wondering then the publisher (Activision?) will start spreading the news. Maybe in time for E3..... it's been a year till now.

Bebpo

Banned
according to people who went to the open house of Pinkerton Road, the probability of MGX being an HD remake of Gabriel Knight 1 is very, very high. Almost definite, at this point. "Something" was shown, and also some smaller hints...

just wondering then the publisher (Activision?) will start spreading the news. Maybe in time for E3..... it's been a year till now.

Well...that sucks.

I mean the original still holds up, so there's not much need for it and it wastes resources that could be going towards a new game instead. Booooo

BluWacky

Why would anyone want an HD remake of GK1 compared to the horrifically dated FMV clunkiness of 2 and the terribad 3D in 3? GK1 is the only game that still plays well, and if they end up rendering it in the Cognition engine it's going to look very silly.

Ah well. It's not going to magically delete my GOG copy, and I'd probably still buy it anyway. But I'd rather we got "demakes" of 2 and 3...

The animations and backgrounds in those old Sierra games looked better than those of virtually every modern adventure game IMO.

Mr_Zombie

Why would anyone want an HD remake of GK1 compared to the horrifically dated FMV clunkiness of 2 and the terribad 3D in 3?

I can give you GK3, because 3D models and stiff animation in that game were bad, really bad, so no matter what they would do with the game, it would certainly look a lot better. However, GK2 with its FMV has its charm that would be ruined by a modern 3D graphics (especially low-budget, stylized ones, like in Moebius or the new Broken Sword game). Just watch early scenes with Grace and Gerda - you can just read the jealousy painted on Grace's face. :D You wouldn't be able to achieve that with such 3D graphics.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I can give you GK3, because the 3D models and stiff animation in that game were bad, really bad; although I was surprised how faithfully rendered were all the places based on real buildings. However, GK2 with its FMV has its charm that would be ruined by a modern 3D graphics (especially low-budget, stylized ones, like in Moebius or the new Broken Sword game). Just watch early scenes with Grace and Gerda - you can just read the jealousy painted on Grace's face. :D You wouldn't be able to achieve that with such 3D graphics.

Of course, it had to ruin all that with the final maze puzzle that had nothing to do with the gameplay that came before it. lol

Mr_Zombie

Ugh, yes, the maze. I remember using a walkthrough to get past it, because it was so frustrating. :| Gabriel Knight 3 wasn't better with its murderous set of puzzle traps. To this day I don't understand solutions to some of them.

mclem

I'm now reminded of the final day of Grey Matter and the bulk of the challenge there... there does seem to be an occasional issue with Jane's finales.

BluWacky

I can give you GK3, because 3D models and stiff animation in that game were bad, really bad, so no matter what they would do with the game, it would certainly look a lot better. However, GK2 with its FMV has its charm that would be ruined by a modern 3D graphics (especially low-budget, stylized ones, like in Moebius or the new Broken Sword game). Just watch early scenes with Grace and Gerda - you can just read the jealousy painted on Grace's face. :D You wouldn't be able to achieve that with such 3D graphics.

Although I agree that modern 3D graphics would probably harm GK2, that's why I said "demake". I'd probably be able to actually play it if it was in hand-drawn 2D, even AGS style - but I find the FMV really quite hideous, and did even back in 1995, which is why I've never actually played it!

I thought Mystery Game X was supposed to be episodic? Or maybe I'm thinking of some other game.

The only Gabriel Knight game that doesn't hold up graphically is GK3.
I don't know why they'd even bother remaking the first one. The original game will probably look better than the remake anyway, just like with the Monkey Island remakes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I haven't really been keeping up with any projects I backed, but I noticed that the beta for Moebius is out for backers. Looks like this is getting closer to being a reality!

Top Bottom