• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ to do reverse stock split

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As expected, THQ will do a reverse stock split to try and avoid getting delisted.

GamesIndustry.biz said:
HQ plans reverse stock split
By Steve Peterson
THQ plans reverse stock split

The company will be delisted from NASDAQ July 23 unless something is done

THQ filed a notice with the SEC on May 25 for a June 29 stockholder's meeting, where THQ will ask stockholders to approve a reverse split of the company's common stock. This is a necessary step for the company to avoid the delisting of the stock from NASDAQ. The exact nature of the reverse split has yet to be determined, either 1 for 3, 1 for 5 or 1 for 10.

NASDAQ rules require stocks to have a value greater than $1 per share in order to be listed on the exchange. THQ's stock fell under that level last year, and the company was sent a notice in January of this year that they had 180 days to bring the value above $1 per share before official delisting on July 23. Currently, the stock is trading at 61 cents per share, nowhere near the threshold value.

Regardless of the ratio chosen, the reverse split will not affect the market value of the company, which currently stands at $41.75 million, or about what it costs to develop a mid-range console game.
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-05-26-thq-plans-reverse-stock-split

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Regardless of the ratio chosen, the reverse split will not affect the market value of the company, which currently stands at $41.75 million, or about what it costs to develop a mid-range console game.

Ice cold.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So is this the beginning of the end?

Well, usually a stock drops a fair bit after a reverse split, so their market cap will be quite low.

It's not a fatal blow though. That will be decided by how their titles perform this fiscal year, since they need to generate enough money to survive until Saints Row 4 releases.

InertiaXr

So is this the beginning of the end?

I'd say that probably started a while ago.

I don't really follow the stock market, has a reverse split as big as 1 for 10 ever happened? I can't think of any reason to really do that besides being in THQ's situation...

They are only worth that much, why doesn't Microsoft or somebody but them out already?

Presumably they have some pretty big debts you'd have to take on as well.

They are only worth that much, why doesn't Microsoft or somebody but them out already?

What do they have that is worth paying that much for? Besides, they'll be able to buy the remains of the company for THQ goes under, without having to acquire any of the company's debt...

To THQ

6698165e76e17d73a373d5bd15808392.jpg

I'm fairly certain a lot of it has to do with poor licensing decisions.

But I'm not sure how these reasons contradict the problem of high development costs. If games cost much more to develop for HD consoles, then they lose much more money when they don't sell well. Seems like a lot of the problem for THQ and other publishers is that development costs are too high to fail.

Why is THQ struggling exactly?
I thought SR3, Darksiders, Metro 2033 all performed pretty well.

They bet big on uDraw 360/PS3 and it tanked. It was supposed to be a golden egg for them and ended up being a rotten one.

SR3 is pretty much all thats keeping them going.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Why is THQ struggling exactly?
I thought SR3, Darksiders, Metro 2033 all performed pretty well.

uDraw for PS360 was such a massive bomb it made 'Fat Man' and 'Little Boy' look like water balloons in comparison. That was basically the final nail in the coffin.

Averon

Wasn't their strategy for many years to milk various tie-in franchises?

Yes. Then they moved on a "develop big AAA titles" strategy. Homefront was a result of that strategy. Needless to say that trying to compete with the EAs and Activisions of the world didn't pan out.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
In light of this news and other positive news recently, I'm upping my bid for 51% control of THQ to $350. Executives, you know how to reach me if you want to talk.

Haunted

I think the windows in my room just froze up.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Relic & Vigil.

Other than that, IP's like Saints Row, Darksiders, Company of Heoes etc.

They also hold the licences for UFC and Warhammer 40K

Relic and Vigil worth nothing, only Volition worth something in the entire group, they are the one studio that make stuff that sells.

Relic & Vigil.

Other than that, IP's like Saints Row, Darksiders, Company of Heoes etc.

They also hold the licences for UFC and Warhammer 40K

Volition is probably their most valuable asset as far as developers go. They produce their most popular non-licensed IP (Saints Row). I'd also think that THQ Montreal (Patrice Desilets new studio) would be interesting to a lot of publishers.

BibiMaghoo

I would be shocked if those didn't revert to their owners if THQ gets sold.

True, I think they only signed the 40K one again fairly recently, although I have no idea how long the term is for.

Relic and Vigil worth nothing, only Volition worth something in the entire group, they are the one studio that make stuff that sells.

also THQ don't own Warhammer, Games Workshop does.

I did not say THQ did own Warhammer, did I ?

As for Volition, SR third did fairly well, but I'm not so sure the previous SR games did. Relic have made good games for some time, going back to the original Dawn of War games. Company of Heroes is also fairly loved, although I am unsure of sales. To say both studios are worth nothing seems like hyperbole to me.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Volition is probably their most valuable asset as far as developers go. They produce their most popular non-licensed IP (Saints Row). I'd also think that THQ Montreal (Patrice Desilets new studio) would be interesting to a lot of publishers.

Does that still exist?

bangai-o

Banned
high dev costs are still one of the problems they faced. I dont know why you guys are able to simoly blame Udraw and management.

Joni

That is not worth any money. Companies interested can just lure away any big names tied to THQ Montreal and bring them to their own Montreal studio. New, non-announced IP isn't worth much money.

Top Bottom