• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 - PC Performance Thread

iNvid02

|OT|
logo8hlh7.png

click above to join the borderlands 2 gaf steam group
there are 300+ members so you're bound to find someone to shoot n loot with
its better than playing with randoms because loot drops are shared and everyone on gaf is so nice :)

uaxOy

Gearbox Software has partnered with Nvidia to promote Borderlands 2. Purchase a qualifying NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti graphics card
or above & receive a coupon for one digital download of Borderlands 2 for PC for free. The offer is available with select models from
NVIDIA Authorized Board Partners only and is available from participating retailers only. US Offer / EU Offer

Borderlands 2 for PC will utilise Nvidia PhysX technology for enhanced physics effect such as tearable cloth, dynamic smoke and
simulated particle debris. Video demonstration here

All PC copies of Borderlands 2 (retail discs and digital downloads) will need to be activated on the Steam platform.

pc2gmsyz.png

updates9mypw.png

PHYSX PERFORMANCE COMPARISON
6Mbdl.png

borderlands-2-physx-performance-image3-650.png

BETTER ANTI ALIASING
SMAA Injector has minimal performance impact but improves AA quite a bit
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42274417&postcount=481

AMD SYS REQUIREMENTS:

MINIMUM
Video Memory: 256 MB
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 2600

RECOMMENDED
Video Memory: 512MB
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5850

BEST PRICE FOR PC VERSION
Currently its $36 at GMG with a 25% off voucher - http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/rpgs/borderlands-2-na/
add to cart at $47.99, enter code "GMG25-1BW0K-K1A3G" in the voucher fieldto get it for $36 - this also works for the season pass

GPU DRIVERS
I can only speak for Nvidia on this one - the latest 306.23 WHQL drivers are out and will provide the best performance for Borderlands 2 and a variety of other games. Download them at geforce.com / geforce.co.uk

NVIDIA PROMO
If you buy a 660ti graphics card or above at a participating retailer, you get one voucher to download Borderlands 2 free. Bear in mind that this does not include any pre-order bonuses because its a code for the full game.

PRELOAD
Steam Pre-load went up on 14th so you're free to download the game now saving you some time come release day. Its 4.5GB

RELEASE DATE
Speaking of which, its the 18th for US and 21st for EU.

EARLY VPN UNLOCK
If your outside US and want to play on 18th you can use a VPN to spoof your IP address and unlock the game. It pretty simple and the risk is minimal if you just want to unlock and play.

1. download free vpn app, install and run (most other vpn tools will work as well)
2. launch steam and click on borderlands 2
3. should go through some checks and if successful unlock the game

COMFY COUCH PC GAMING
Borderlands 2 PC + Steam Big Picture Mode + 360 Controller + Couch = :D

BORDERLANDS 2 ENGINE
Borderlands 2 runs on a heavily modified version of UE3 engine and is DX9 only for PC

vocab

Physx has me worried. I can not get exceptional performance on any game with Phsyx with my gtx 670FTW.

I hope my 2500k and 7970 can play with Physx on Medium without big FPS drops, just like Alice Madness Returns.

Like I said in the alice thread, I can't even get stable fps on my nvidia card.

iNvid02

211greg13mo1p.png
KuGsj.gif

edit: i hope it doesnt turn out to be really badly optimized, poor optimization coupled with physx being physx is brutal

Nekrono

Physx has me worried. I can not get exceptional performance on any game with Phsyx with my gtx 670FTW.

Like I said in the alice thread, I can't even get stable fps on my nvidia card.

That's weird, I remember playing Alice with Physx on Medium as soon as I upgraded to a 2500k (stock clocks) and I was able to play mostly at 60 FPS, sure I got dips every now and then when there were too many particles on screen like when you smash the ice floor multiple times when you get the hammer, but since that didn't happen a lot I was able to roll with it.

Sethos

Banned
Hmmmm.. Tempting. Perhaps you can buy my way into Project Cars or Planetside 2 in return :lol

Then it's probably just easier to buy it myself ... But I didn't like Borderlands at all, this hasn't convinced me yet but apparently it's an über hyped title.

Derrick01

Banned
You should be able to run the game with medium Physx, I know someone with a 560ti who does not have any problems with Physx as long as it stays on medium.

It depends on the game. I can run Arkham Asylum with high physx but AC has to be on low or off since it chugs on medium (granted that game chugs a lot out in the world regardless, poorly optimized game).

Top Bottom