• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iNvid02

updates9mypw.png

• 30/10/2012: Borderlands 2 Xbox 360 "virus" spreading, deleting player saves - article
  • 18/10/2012: Second BL2 DLC info arises - will be called "Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage" - details
  • 11/10/2012: The first BL2 expansion pack will be available on October 16th 2012 titled "Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty" - details
  • 09/10/2012: Gaige Mechromancer DLC arrives a week early and is out today - free for season pass holders and $9.99 for everyone else - details
  • 26/09/2012: Nvidia has a tweak guide out for Borderlands 2 on PC going through the various settings and tweaks showing how they affect performance - source
  • 24/09/2012: Gearbox announced that there will be other character and vehicle DLC coming seperate from the season pass - thread
  • 23/09/2012: Eurogamer's Digital Foundry gives Borderlands 2 the face-off treatment - source
  • 20/09/2012: 2K Games and 1C listened to customers and will be offering a worldwide version with multiple languages for all retail and digital RU/CIS purchases - reddit post
  • 20/09/2012: Nvidia has released some performance info on PhysX in Borderlands 2 - see comparison
  • 16/09/2012: Created a seperate thread for discussing everything about the PC version of Borderlands 2 - new thread
  • 15/09/2012: Apparently some EU countries have only been given the option to purchase the RU restricted version of Borderlands 2 - complaint thread
  • 13/09/2012: More info on how the golden key pre-order bonus works - source
  • 11/09/2012: Interviews with the developers going over each character class and skilltree in depth - very handy
  • 10/09/2012: Use your golden key pre-order bonus wisely - video tip
  • 10/09/2012: Creature Slaughter Dome pre-order bonus playable for everyone if party host has the content - source

newfont04sbb7p24p1j.png

newfont05qru81.png

newfont07g6uu8gobj3.png

storyrjs37g3sp7.png

eqV0L

c1vojx8pxs9h.png

FVp8L

c2d2kjohxstc.png

characters2yysst.png

c3zukf9sqp4j.png

characters3nwss0.png

gameplay5rsxq.png

Borderlands 2 builds upon the gameplay elements introduced in its predecessor. It is a first-person shooter that includes character-building elements found in role-playing games,
leading Gearbox to call the game a "role-playing shooter." At the start of the game, players select one of four new characters, each with a unique special skill and with proficiencies
with certain weapons. From then on, players take on quests assigned through non-player characters or from bounty boards, each typically rewarding the player with experience points,
money, and sometimes a reward item. Players earn experience by killing foes and completing in-game challenges (such as getting a certain number of kills using a specific type of
weapon). As they gain levels from experience growth, players can then allocate skill points into a skill tree that features three distinct specializations of the base character.

Badass Rank is Borderlands 2's replacement for weapon proficiency. Badass Rank is earned by completing challenges. Challengers give increasing amounts of badass ranks according
to their level, while some are just once off bonuses. Achieving enough Badass Ranks will award the player with a Badass Token, which can be spent on one of five randomly selected
stat upgrades out of a list of possible choices. These upgrades affect all of the player's characters--past, present and future. Each Badass Token will require more new Badass Ranks
than the last, but there is no limit to the number of Badass Tokens that can be earned.

Borderlands 2's second play-through is called True Vault Hunter Mode. Like the second play-through on Borderlands, TVHM is harder with tougher enemies. But where the first game
simply tasked the player to increase their hit points and do more damage with better guns against enemies with more hit points and better guns, a second play through of Borderlands
2 requires the player to think. The AI works differently using unique behaviours. More enemies use shields. More wear armour. More are Badass class. There are enemies that only
appear in TVHM. To defeat them you'll have to put those top-tier abilities to good use. And in co-op, which automatically scales up the challenge depending on how many players are
in your party, understanding how different classes work together is essential.

• New Characters and Classes: Choose from all new characters and classes including the Gunzerker, Commando, Assassin, Siren and Mechromancer.
  • Revamped Vehicles: Vehicles have been reworked and now include four-seat drift-able vehicles and vehicle physics elements.
  • Trading System: will stamp out online loot thieving with direct private trades, and give players the ability to duel for loot by putting up gear as an ante.
  • Dynamic Quest System: e.g Taking too much time to save a friend in a quest may result in their death and the failure of the quest, which will affect the story as the player progresses.
  • Online and Co-op Play: Share your adventures with friends both online and via LAN through a seamless system enabling you to drop in and out of a campaign instantly.
  • Reworked AI: NPCs will populate the game world more often & travel to different locations. Enemy AI will encourage teamwork, such as flanking, covering & healing each other.
  • World Connected Story: Begin your quest of revenge and redemption as the story drives you closer to the Hyperion Corporation and its evil founder, Handsome Jack.
  • New Badass Gun System: Tons of new and innovative ways to engage foes on Pandora. Fire, electricity, corrosive acid, and more will all be at your disposal.
  • 87 Bazillion...Everything: It's not just guns on Pandora, you will lust after procedurally generated shields, grenades, alien artifacts, class mods and much, much more.
  • New environments: From the arctic tundra, through the dangerous grasslands, past the mysterious corrosive caverns to beyond, discover more of the unpredictable world of Pandora.
  • New enemies: Hulking, gorilla-like Bullymongs, vicious predatory Stalkers and the Hyperion mechanical army, run by Handsome Jack, are just some of the new enemies you will face.

splitscreen26kbybzo2a.png

uaxOy

Gearbox Software has partnered with Nvidia to promote Borderlands 2. Purchase a qualifying NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti graphics card
or above & receive a coupon for one digital download of Borderlands 2 for PC for free. The offer is available with select models from
NVIDIA Authorized Board Partners only and is available from participating retailers only. US Offer / EU Offer

Borderlands 2 for PC will utilise Nvidia PhysX technology for enhanced physics effect such as tearable cloth, dynamic smoke and
simulated particle debris. Video demonstration here

All PC copies of Borderlands 2 (retail discs and digital downloads) will need to be activated on the Steam platform.

pc2gmsyz.png

shotsfhszg.png

reviewsfmsny.png

Metacritic Average:

360: 90
PS3: 91
PC: 88

Games Master UK: 95/100
"Bigger. Ballsier. Bullet-ier. Borderlands 2 is the antidote to stuffy military shooters. Even statistically poor weapons are fun to handle. Underlying physics of each weapon have
been massively improved - guns feel like they used to in Doom and Unreal. Trading gear is better. Gearbox have learnt how to turn off the brown palette in Microsoft Paint, leading
to BL2 being the prettiest game of 2012 to date. Increased verticality of the world. More varied missions. Even better humour. Improved story. 30+ hours main quest. A truly epic
game once sidequests/playthroughs/badass ranks/loot has been taken into account. Bonus (optional) objectives to missions and multiple outcomes. Solo play and co-op markedly
improved (with more populated environments and more seamless co-op.)"

Game Informer: 9.75/10
"Instead of taking the easy route, the studio has taken everything that impressed in the original and greatly enhanced it. From major bullet points like the story to smaller details
like the UI and inventory system. Borderlands 2 surpassed my expectations and stands as a prime example of how to knock a sequel out of the park. Throughout the game, the
dialogue and clever missions display a sense of humor on par with the best in the industry. All of the improvements would make for a standout title even if it were constricted to
single-player. Considering Gearbox has continued to put this franchise in a league of its own when it comes to co-op, it elevates the game to something more. With its unmatched
co-op gameplay, intense shootouts, addictive loot-collecting, expansive skill customization, hilarious dialogue, and insane level of replayability, Borderlands 2 is one of the most
rewarding gaming experiences of this console generation."

IGN: 9.0/10
"Borderlands 2 preserves the best parts of the franchise while also making numerous, much needed improvements to areas like narrative and class skill design. Additional visual
customization options would make it better, and the occasional technical issue takes away from the experience, but overall this is an excellent shooter no one even remotely
curious should overlook. Prepare to level. Prepare to loot. Prepare to get lost in the hilarious, bizarre and wonderful world of Pandora."

Playstation Universe: 95/100
"Borderlands 2 is by far a giant leap ahead compared to its predecessor, but it's also one of the greatest games to finish off this generation of consoles. You'll get lost under
enormous piles of loot, a good-enough story that's surpassed by side missions, and an absolutely hilarious cast of characters. This all comes together in a giant package of joy."

Play UK: 90/100
"Where Borderlands was 'sent out to die', Borderlands 2 has been sent out to kill. And it does just that. It will easily be one of the best games released all year and the more we
dream of that delicious four-player co-op, the more we think it's one of the top games this generation."

TheSixthAxis: 90/100
"A joyful experience, full of humour and character. It manages to walk the fine line between silly base humour and a more intelligent wit too, which is something almost unique
in videogames. With a narrative that expands on the original storyline in every conceivable way and so many ways to play, different characters to build and so much
cooperative fun to be had, it's hard to see a downside."

Playstation Official Magazine UK: 90/100
"Borderlands 2 is a top-class FPS that perfectly captures that 'shooting things is fun' rush into an endless cycle. The game it most reminds me of is Doom: it recreates that lost-in-
the-moment, circle-strafing intensity perfectly, so that you never get bored of it...If you're tired of brown military shooters and crying out for something different, then get involved –
this is one of the most imaginative and rewarding blasters of the year."

Giant Bomb: 80/100
"As someone who went into Borderlands 2 with a sickness that I thought only more Borderlands could cure, I'm left feeling like I didn't receive a full dose this time around."

Guardian: 100
"Pandora feels more like an actual place than a virtual battleground, thanks to Gearbox's attention to detail in this game...I mean, when was the last time you cared about the
name of any gun manufacturer in any shooter you played recently? Listen, I've played the heck out of the COD: MW titles, and I've used a TAR-21 more times than I care to
mention, but I couldn't tell you who manufactured it... The gun-makers in Borderlands 2 don't even exist, for goodness sake, and I'm already brand-loyal to one of them."

G4TV: 100
"Borderlands 2 is a better game than Borderlands in every imaginable way. Scoff at anyone who calls it a v1.5 update; this is really what a sequel should be. At the most basic
level, you've got the same great experience that the 2009 game offered, only with much more depth and variety."

Gametrailers: 92/100
"The story in Borderlands 2 is by far the biggest improvement. The humor and over-the-top style that was merely glimpsed in the first game are ever-present here. Strong
personalities drive the experience from beginning to end, whether it's Claptrap's sense of self-importance, Tiny Tina's hyperactivity, or Handsome Jack's spiteful annoyance."

Joystiq: 90/100
"Borderlands 2 is full of memorable moments and silly, crass folks – and if those silly, crass folks happen to be your friends, it's easily one of the best co-op experiences out
there, and one of the best games I've played all year."

Gamespot: 85/100
"Borderlands 2 doesn't reach far beyond its predecessor's scope, but it does do almost everything better. Additions, refinements, and fixes all combine to create an appreciably
improved experience, one that fully delivers on the promise of the first game. While Borderlands felt empty at times, this sequel is bursting with content and brimming with life,
making it an absolutely delightful way to spend hours and hours and hours of your free time."

GamesRadar: 80/100
"A fulfilling experience. The improvements to gunplay and customization take it further than its predecessor. Its story gives you enough hooks and motivators to want to see it
through to the end. Unfortunately, it may feel like a bit of a slog to get there, and you'll want to sort out exactly who's hosting that game between you and your online friends
very early on. However, with a well-balanced squad, there are few more pleasing experiences than taking down a gigantic robot constructor through four unique skillsets."

Eurogamer: 9/10
"Compared to the dull, empty-eyed stoicism of so many triple-A games, it's still a welcome blast of idiot humour, too. How many other action-game heroes tackle enemies
called Bullymongs by backing straight over them in a Hummer? How many others enter a room and chuck down a turret with a lofty shout of "Meet mah girlfriend"? And how
many others fight through the scrum until their bullets are all gone and their quad-barrelled shotgun is click-click-clicking on empty chambers, yet can still look like they're having
the best time of their ever-lovin' lives? Bellyflop. Heart of the sun. Ka-boom."

Edge: 9/10
"Borderlands 2 might not develop extensively on its forebear, but it has even greater power to hold you for hours on end, deftly weaving RPG stat development with skill-based
play. It’s enough to make every decision you make meaningful and fun, and lend the realisation that Gearbox knows more about the fundamentals of the shooter than almost any
other developer. Did we take Widow Maker? Yes, but we soon ditched it for a Purging Anarchist."

kF5D9

extrasfis3p4zss9.png

extras0rs073zsa0.png

endx4sq7j6shq.png

xero273

I'm ready! Sadly, this time i'll be playing on console since my friend doesn't have a PC that can run it. hopefully newegg is able to deliver the same week :(

iNvid02

took over making it last minute from mob, if there are any errors let me know via PM please

also, if you're open to playing with gaf sometime, be sure to share your IDs in the google docs spreadsheet - links are at the top of the page

I'm excited to get started on this next week. From the preview articles/videos, it looks like they've improved a lot of the stuff that needed work from the first game. Nice OT, too!

Between messing around with the skill calculators this morning and the promise of Steam Big Picture mode for this afternoon, this is shaping up to be an unusually splendid Monday. And now I've jinxed it.

Chris R

Can't wait!

I was wondering though if someone knew exactly how level scaling/quest sharing/ect will work with co-op as compared to how it did in the first game. Just want to know because me and my friend will probably be close level wise most times we play, but our other friend might want to join in occasionally but would be at a much lower level since he doesn't game as much as he once did.

Lunchbox

Banned
first game i preordered in forever

you can take my early money and earn the interest on it. its deserved

UNCE UNCE UNCE WUB WUB WUB

Fracas

#fuckonami
Hnnnnnggggggggg

Nice OP! Cannot wait for this one. Ordered it from the Microsoft Store, hopefully I'll have it soon after launch.

Aeana

The greater environment variety is really appealing. Makes me want to give it a shot. The main thing that turned me off in Borderlands 1 actually ended up being the setting.

I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get this on release but apparently a friend owed me money, which I completely forgot about, and to pay me back he just bought this for me. Totally surprised me, too.

Brick was my main character in the first and I'm going with Salvador as my main in this one. Can't wait to go around gunzerking.

SourSamo

If anyone still hasn't preordered this code on GreenMan Gaming makes it $36
GMG25-1BW0K-K1A3G

I preordered for 360 but at that price it's worth double dipping!

Lunchbox

Banned
get rid of the ghetto spread sheet on the op and just make a free gamertag called Borderlands Gaf and have people add it

then you friend of friend invite ingame. i think you can do the same on psn

I absolutely hated BL1 because of the desert setting (I dislike desert areas, for the most part) and the lack of any real music and uninteresting gameplay (IMO, of course). This looks like it's so much better, and I appreciate all the work that's gone into the PC version.

I promised a friend I'd get it and play it with him since I pushed him to build a new PC, but TTT2 and DOA5 ;_; I wonder how I'll do this... to get or not to get... ughhhhhh.

I've never played the first but preordered the 2nd...are the classes similar to like say MMO's tanks, healers, dps etc? If so can someone give a breakdown of who is what?

Atruvius

Nice OT and went with the good title!

My main character from the first game was Brick. Gotta love dem exploding fists! Now I'm going with Maya.

Do those who bought the game from GMG get the Mechromancer for free?

i have a gtx 570. hopefully i can max out the important things in the game. can't wait. started playing BL1 on steam and yesterday with a friend on ps3.

Karl2177

I wanted an Ultimate Loot Chest, but they were all sold out by the time I got around to it(a mere 3 days after they went up!). I'm looking forward to this. :)

xray49er

anybody know how the splitscreen is. I am thinking of getting this to play with my wife. the first one the split screen is terrible and we didnt even make it to our first misiion.

Lunchbox

Banned
I've never played the first but preordered the 2nd...are the classes similar to like say MMO's tanks, healers, dps etc? If so can someone give a breakdown of who is what?

that was the soldier in the first game who had healing turrets and ammo regen and buff for teammates

but now each character has trees that can go 2 steps this way and 2 steps that way. you role was defined more in the first game, here the trees a bit more mixed

Razek

Banned
I'm really excited for this game! I was forced to get the PS3 version because of my buddies, but I know I'm going to enjoy the crap out of it.

Though... It's probably the only game I might consider double dipping for around 60 bucks.

Actually, are there any more PC ~$40 dollar deals? I might consider DD'ing it for that price.

Interfectum

to get the BL2 Veteran Rewards, can it be any save file? For example I played the first one on 360 but I have it for PC (unplayed, steam sale, heh). So could I start a new game on PC, save it and get the rewards for BL2?

Venfayth

I absolutely hated BL1 because of the desert setting (I dislike desert areas, for the most part) and the lack of any real music and uninteresting gameplay (IMO, of course). This looks like it's so much better, and I appreciate all the work that's gone into the PC version.

I promised a friend I'd get it and play it with him since I pushed him to build a new PC, but TTT2 and DOA5 ;_; I wonder how I'll do this... to get or not to get... ughhhhhh.

Play with me and Xero!

I'm really excited for this game! I was forced to get the PS3 version because of my buddies, but I know I'm going to enjoy the crap out of it.

Though... It's probably the only game I might consider double dipping for around 60 bucks.

Actually, are there any more PC ~$40 dollar deals? I might consider DD'ing it for that price.

GMG afaik it's $36 w/ the code which is in the steam thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom