• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Test Drive: Ferrari Announced

Nice impressions Amar.

In eager to try it even more now it's further away from Shift as you say, the only problem is I'd be playing on the pad (did have a wheel but got rid - doh) rather than a wheel.

I'm guessing we ain't getting a demo at all (360) so I'll probably rent it or pick it up sometime on the cheap.

ahh dammit amar, you sparked my interest in this title again, specially since physics and controller-wise the gane as you have said has changed for the best, now i'm left thinking "should i take the leap?"

amar212

In eager to try it even more now it's further away from Shift as you say, the only problem is I'd be playing on the pad (did have a wheel but got rid - doh) rather than a wheel.

I'm guessing we ain't getting a demo at all (360) so I'll probably rent it or pick it up sometime on the cheap.

No demo is planned as I know.

Regarding controller play, I didn't try it, but I read reports where people are complaining it feels like driving a boat. I can understand such impression, because many cars feels really heavy and you have to approach the track with caution and respect for grip and weight-transfer.

ahh dammit amar, you sparked my interest in this title again, specially since physics and controller-wise the gane as you have said has changed for the best, now i'm left thinking "should i take the leap?"

I wouldn't like to be blamed if you do not like it on controller, so I would suggest you to try to try the game before leaping :)

But nonetheless, great game still. I have finally reached the final stage of the Golden era yesterday (Dino Challenge, approx. 30% of completion) and I hope I will beat it today and step into the Silver era. I have one Bonus challenge to finish and I will finally unlock more new tracks.

I found out how Ferrari Racing Legends does the same thing regarding wheel-brakes as Gran Turismo 5 does: you have to manually "calibrate" the brakes once you get into game. It is same procedure as in GT5 - don't touch the brake pedal after you started the game before you enter the track for the first time. Once on the track, push the brake to the max to calibrate it. Failing to do so will mess the travel and feel for brakes. Just for the heads-up.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I saw this at the games shop today but didnt pick it up because of 2 things.

1 - I had no idea about it.
2 - the big test drive label on it.

After reading the thread I'm thinking of picking it up.

SmokyDave

What on earth?!

This has completely passed me by. I had no idea it was even close to release. If this is on EU PSN I'm buying it the moment I get home.

amar212

Come on DrivinGAF, any impressions? What, am I the only lunatic actually playing this gem?

More reports:

I have successfully finished the complete Golden Era on Hard difficulty and moved onto Silver Era. At the very beginning there is one of the greatest challenges I've faced so far in the game: Qualification run on Enna Pergusa with 512BB (sounding and driving GODLY) and 1:57 laptime to beat for Bonus challenge. 2 days into it, and still no luck, probably 50 restarts so far.

With collecting enough medals/badges for running all Primary/Bonus challenges on Hard I am currently owner of the "Semi-Pro" title (35% of game completion). Also, it seems that mechanical damage started to show a bit more - when crashing, there are actual consequences on handling starting to manifest. Also, now crashing will break the windhsields more often and made damage on the vehicle more visible. And boy, didn't complexity and difficulty of the AI just become fierce?

AI has stepped up from lagging -20 seconds after 5 laps to just -0.500 seconds for first 3 cars after 5 laps. I had two races yesterday (decided to leave Enna Pergusa Bonus run for a bit and continue doing next races), one on 80's Silverstone GP and other on Imola GP as part of 512BB Championship. What a blast.

Silverstone race had me starting on 4th place, with Primary task of catching the Rico Malone driver, who took the first place on start and me having a good start and climbing to 3rd. And than full-skill 5 lap race in his bumper, you just can't even think about slightest bumping him (you will almost certainly spin) while he has better corner-exit because of TC and Silverstone 80's being sweeper after sweeper certainly doesn't help. I finally managed to took the inside line in the very end of the 5th lap and overtake him before the final straight. After 5 restarts.

Imola was the same, with difference of starting on 8th and having to catch the win for the Bonus challenge. Imagine soft suspensions on 512BB, crazy overdrive of gearbox and fact of combined tire-wear/fuel depletion/overall weight loss that comes in affect during 5 lap race (not realistic because it is clearly speeded-up, but damn satisfying as a factor during play). Catching the leader in the very beginning of the lap 5 (AI have problems with the first sweeper in Imola, they often catch grass so you can find +0.700 there if you manage to maintain enough grip on tyres) and struggling to keep him, and 3 more cars behind until end of the lap.

And those AI cars bump you, tailgate you, they are closing inside line, they drive defensive lines, they make mistakes, crash into each other, dive into openings and they are so good.

Blast of all blasts, fans on my Fanatec CSRE were spinning like crazy.

I decided to leave the Enna Pergusa challenge for a day and take a following tier - Ferrari 312T5.. Dear tiny Jesus in your golden-fleece diapers, with your tiny, little, fat, balled-up fists pawing at the air... What a machine. What a feel. What a sound. What a blast.

Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends delivers so much I still can't believe it. I literally expected nothing for this game and I got more than any racer besides Big Two™ on this generation of consoles. Such a hidden gem. I really look forward to opinions of others, especially those who have wheels and who are patient enough to let the game unfold after initial opening of the Golden Era.

gtmax

I've never played a racing game that felt like it supported my GT3: RS wheel natively. every game, from Ferrari TP, to SuperCar Challenge to GT5 to F1, to WRC to Shift, the wheel feels disconnected to the game. I might have my settings messed up but i always get input lag, more of a 1.5-2.0 from my hands turning to seeing it in game.

A PSN game shouldn't be more than 30 bucks though. So i'm sitting on this until it comes down to a realistic price point.

I've never played a racing game that felt like it supported my GT3: RS wheel natively. every game, from Ferrari TP, to SuperCar Challenge to GT5 to F1, to WRC to Shift, the wheel feels disconnected to the game. I might have my settings messed up but i always get input lag, more of a 1.5-2.0 from my hands turning to seeing it in game.

A PSN game shouldn't be more than 30 bucks though. So i'm sitting on this until it comes down to a realistic price point.

The lag between the onscreen wheel and your own is likely a mix of the display's input lag and vsync. Connect the wheel to a PC, turn vsync off then turn the wheel and it'll almost certainly mirror your own actions.

There's a dragging feeling in the wheel itself due the tension of the belt, turning off Damper off can help.

amar212

I'm surprised at the good impressions amar. InsideSimRacing tore this game a new one.

Which speaks more about them than anything else, to be honest..

Below is link to nicely captured series of videos where guy is playing complete game and posting videos of complete game-sections. I just have to highlight he is playing with the controller (I asked him to verify that, he did) and how sensation of both steering and overall car physics looks very different than playing with the wheel (for instance, my wheel settings are posted on the previous page of this thread, together with more impressions).

I will try to capture the same run with 900-degree steering for purpose of comparison, because manoeuvres he pulls out here are impossible with the wheel and FFB enabled. But in this video you can get good impression about both ways, looks and sounds that FRR delivers.

Video of Enna Pergusa run for 1:57 Bonus Challenge on Hard difficulty. Notice how you have to brake in straight line when playing with the wheel (sliding and drifiting need to be minimal in order to maintain the vehicle balance) and how there is no way you can attack the curbs this aggressively because FFB and 900-steering just does not allow it. But I really can't explain it, it needs to be experienced.

If you look at the Imola race (5 laps - please disregard sliding manoeuvres he pulls-off all the time - impossible with the wheel - you couldn't save yourself from such slides in 900-mode), you will notice the drastic changes in vehicle behaviour from lap 1 compared to lap 5 - that is where the tire-wear and weight-loss mechanics comes into picture. For instance, he manages to distance himself from the AI field for 8 seconds in 5 laps, but with the wheel-handling in the picture and with self-imposed idea that you drive like you would drive a real car (900-degree adds to that compared to this videos very much), AI are on your tail all the time.

I also have to admit how AI can sometimes be crazy, but sometimes they are just phenomenal. So I really do not care much when they do some pile-ups or whatever, I just restart and enjoy the actual driving.

I will also try to capture footage of Quick Race run with AI on Hard, where they are much, much more fierce than I have experienced in Career so far.

Really great game.

After reading Amar's impression I'm going to get this game against all my senses. I've been wanting a new racing game for some time now and with the recent disappointment in F1 2012 I'm left with no racing game to play. So hopefully FRL is as good as I hope it is.

Gynoug79

Hahaha yeah, same here ! Couldnt resist after reading your impressions Amar. Bought it today and am about to put it in my PS3 now...

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Any impressions on the PC version? I've heard absolutely nothing about it. They really went for subtlety for this release, didn't they?

-Amon-

Bought it one week ago but did not have time to mount the wheel stand damn real life.

Did some of the first events with the pad so i can't really judge atm.

Gynoug79

Ok after a few evenings i am sitting at 14% compeltion (on hard too) and am really enjoying it ! Its a bit difficcult to add something as everything is already said by Amar but i found one point where is can disagree: The cockpit interior reflections in the windshield, I cant stand them on most of the cars. I know thats nitpicking and i havent used more than 10% of the car rooster...also sound and image quality is baaaad.
Track vision is alright with the overcast skybox but in the afternoon/morning(?) sun things can get muddy and at first i had trouble seeing some corners. I dont know what its is exactly but i have the same problem at Hockenheim in FM4....missing contrast or whatever and yes i think my tv is fine and properly calibrated. Also its not as bad as it sounds and you will get used to it quickly once you knwo the tracks.

So now to the good stuff. I am driving with a g27 with full 900° rotation as suggested above and its a real pleasure. That coupled with a great track layout and track surface design results in an incredible driving sensation. I just hate how there are only 2 "bumpy" race tracks in Fm4 ( Nurb GP and Infineon ) and almost everthing else is just glass flat. In FRL there are bumps everywhere and you have to decide if you stay on the line and risk spinning because of a bump in front/on/behind the apex or alter your line a bit. For example on the entry to the famous parabolica at Monza there is a hefty bump exactly on the line which is better avoided especially with these old cars i am still driving. Another great thing Amar already pointed out is how every car feels diffrent.

What i also think its great is the career progress although its quite barebone with no unneeded animations or movies, just a little text and the rest is left to your imagination. Its quite movitating as you always want to drive the next car/track and and there also some little suprises/details like
a cramp in your arm and you have to finish the race without shifting
. Its also set up in a way that you get better by each race and get a good understanding for each track and car you drive...i hope thats play out till the end and by than you feel like you mastered the game. Loved the PGR series for that...with all the diffrent cone and slalom challenges and so on you got better and better until you truly felt you mastered something.

So far the racing is missing a bit because at the first tier ai is a bit slow compared to the other times it asks you to do in the quali/bonus missions but the driving feel/ffb coupled with loads of bumps and elevations on great designed tracks is so far the thing i like most about this game.

amar212

So, it seems how PC release is still in the middle of nowhere:

5aWZT.jpg

(courtesy of Benjamin Benichou from the WMD forums).

Such pity, game is great (I am at the 38% now, and it is getting more and more demanding) and PC release would certainly raise a collective awareness of this underrated gem.

amar212

Good stuff, amar.

Still haven't been able to find the game, did it even come out in the UK?

I have no idea, I still want to purchase a physical copy but it is nowhere to be found among usual online retailers I shop with (that actually delivers to Croatia, Amazon.co.uk does not).

I know for 100% you can buy it as a PSN download at UK PSN, I bought mine at US PSN at August.

I still wait for Amon to share his opinion, I am still the only one that reports on this game.

Also worth mentioning, in the meantime I jumped to 67% of completion, races and challenges are becoming so damn hard, it literally took me 2 weeks of driving to finally finish one single 8-lap race under Bonus conditions.

Everything I said before about this game stays intact. Brilliant racer as long as you play it on Pro settings, Hard difficulty and 900-mode with 900-wheel.

-Amon-

I still wait for Amon to share his opinion, I am still the only one that reports on this game.

I'm afraid it will took long Amar sorry :(

I cant find enough free time to mount my wheel and spend enough time on the game.

I'm a father now, my loved Giorgio came to this world 4 months ago ... i can find some time to play sometimes, let's say something like an hour every couple of days. But to play this game as it should be played to be discussed upon .. i must mount the wheel, the seat .. play and then dismount everything. It takes at least a good 3 hours :)

I don't have that consecutive free time atm.

amar212

Congratulations on Georgio mate, best wishes to you and mother!

Once you decide to play it will be cool, until then enjoy your fatherhood :)

pc version cancelled according to big ben.

uk release date keeps getting pushed back every week on game.co.uk. total clusterfuck!

is it still on psn?

i've been watching some videos and noticed the crown symbol on the hud - what's that for?

amar212

uk release date keeps getting pushed back every week on game.co.uk. total clusterfuck!
is it still on psn?
i've been watching some videos and noticed the crown symbol on the hud - what's that for?

Hurry up and grab a 20$ PSN card somewhere, Ferrari Racing Legends is currently 19,95$ at US Store.

It is on UK PSN I suppose, but the US deal is much better and it is the same code.

I still haven't digged what the crown is about, other icons in that row appear when you're using assists, but crown always stay and it never highlights or anything.

Maybe it is for H-Shifter, it is the only thing I haven't tried TBH.

1-D_FTW

is it still on psn?

:lol

And here I thought it got bumped because it was released.

Okay, this game looks amazing. I don't see that yet since I am in the golden era in older tracks. I hate the reflection of the cars interior on the wind shield, very distracting.

amar212

Sweet jesus, thank you Atari/Slightly Mad/Rombax you wonderful bastards!

I hate the reflection of the cars interior on the wind shield, very distracting.

Am I reading this good guys - you actually love this game?

Goooooooood :) Amazing game, amazing, I am so glad for anyone that decided to jump at it.

Sleepless, you should get used to it, I somehow find a way to see "over" it and today I really love it. It somehow adds to overall magic, only shame is it is not dynamic, but somehow it looks cool IMO

I would like all other games to have it from now, but to be real-time and made in oredr to respect lightning of the track (Gran Turismo on PS4 I am looking at you).

Totally loved up, it's the new king of my PS3 racing game collection.

It does need one patch ( lol ) to iron out some little niggles of mine:

-Fix random invisible walls when attacking kerbs, this effects player and ai
-Fix 80s SPA lod
-Fix rolling shadow when using certain daytime setting
-Increase AI volume
-Reduced cockpit camera movement for the winged formula one cars, especially the side motion at high speed
-Enable replays in time trial mode
-Disable replay hud
-Improve depth of field effect
-Tweak trackside camera placements
-Add Photo mode

untitled-118r6v.jpg

Dat new look, shits all over Shift 2's Nordschleife, and with the improvements made to the handling it's amazing to drive. I actually prefer it over GT5's, the way the cars feel and behave is much better in FRL which results in a more satisfying driving experience.

screenshot_116tkowi.jpg

_machine

Good news everyone!

The Dacia San...I mean the TDFRL seems to be hitting Steam eventually: http://cdr.thebronasium.com/app/211970. There's also a hint about the Steam version on WMD, but because Andy think he might be close to breaking NDA I won't quote it here.

Also, it looks like it's using the forward renderer which hopefully means it'll look even better on PC with pristine IQ. Your posts have got me all hyped up and I'll probably end up buying it as soon as it hits the store.

Watevaman

Hoping for a PC version but I don't know how soon it'll be. Viking got added to the database like 5 months before it actually was buyable.

1-D_FTW

Guess it shouldn't be surprising. Thought I remembered Nvidia rating this game awhile ago, so I just rechecked. It's been rated "good" for 3D for a while. "Good"'s not that great, unfortunately.

Sleepless, you should get used to it, I somehow find a way to see "over" it and today I really love it. It somehow adds to overall magic, only shame is it is not dynamic, but somehow it looks cool IMO

I would like all other games to have it from now, but to be real-time and made in oredr to respect lightning of the track (Gran Turismo on PS4 I am looking at you).

I would love to have the reflections be dynamic. When you're driving an open wheel car and you see the windshield get dirt on it or starts to crack is amazing, SMS are one of the few who care about this little details.

amar212

Totally loved up, it's the new king of my PS3 racing game collection.

It does need one patch ( lol ) to iron out some little niggles of mine:

-Fix random invisible walls when attacking kerbs, this effects player and ai
-Fix 80s SPA lod
-Fix rolling shadow when using certain daytime setting
-Increase AI volume
-Reduced cockpit camera movement for the winged formula one cars, especially the side motion at high speed
-Enable replays in time trial mode
-Disable replay hud
-Improve depth of field effect
-Tweak trackside camera placements
-Add Photo mode

Dat new look, shits all over Shift 2's Nordschleife, and with the improvements made to the handling it's amazing to drive. I actually prefer it over GT5's, the way the cars feel and behave is much better in FRL which results in a more satisfying driving experience.

I agree with everything, exactly the same concerns as mine, which means that are all *negatives* this game has. I have no problems with cockpit movements for open wheelers, only "older" models has them and I presume it is the way to demonstrate difference of suspensions. TBH it adds to immersion IMO and I like it.

I would only add one thing to above list - the ability to have look left/look right buttons for the wheel, potentially with interior (as in GT5). I was literally shocked by quality of modelled interiors once I took the controller in order to check the modelling. But even without having interior looks for L/R (GT has spoiled me in that area, I want back look to motor too, but nevermind), game really lacks L/R vistas when played with the wheel.

I would love to have the reflections be dynamic. When you're driving an open wheel car and you see the windshield get dirt on it or starts to crack is amazing, SMS are one of the few who care about this little details.

Cracks are amazing, yes. I was amazed once I realised how vehicle dynamics is greatly influenced by invisible tyre-wear (and maybe even fuel consumption through loss of mass) and with mechanical damage. It is so unfortunate that game has all 3 factors present - tyre-wear, fuel consumption and mechanical damage - but there is no pit-management included. And best thing is how everything is invisible - you don't know the state of tyre wear. You don't know the state of mechanical damage. You have to "feel" everything. Such great idea, such great implementation.

And when we speak about that, that damn race on Road America with P330 prototype, 8 laps against full-field AI on Hard, Pro driving model, Bonus challenge is 2nd position... I really can't find words to describe that race. That race is the best virtual race I ever had, in any game, ever. Pinnacle of virtual racing. Overall essence of FRL comes at life in that race.

This is one of the 3 best driving/simulation games on consoles of this generation, period. Gran Turismo 5, Forza Motorsport 4 and Ferrari Racing Legends. Nothing comes close.

BTW News about PC release are amazing. I can't even imagine the popularity this game will get among modders and if all content from Shifts somehow get to be included in this physics/FFB support, this game will become a dream come true.

that damn race on Road America with P330 prototype, 8 laps against full-field AI on Hard, Pro driving model, Bonus challenge is 2nd position... I really can't find words to describe that race. That race is the best virtual race I ever had, in any game, ever. Pinnacle of virtual racing. Overall essence of FRL comes at life in that race.

A Helping Hand & The Green Gauntlet are both brilliant, the latter is a great race to showcase your defensive ability as the grip goes. The AI is rapid on the last lap, are they effected by grip loss? I can build a gap of 6-8 seconds over the first two laps but by the time I reach the Karussell on the last lap the pack is all over me ready to pounce.

4xmjo9.jpg

3ttjlv.jpg

gtmax

Hurry up and grab a 20$ PSN card somewhere, Ferrari Racing Legends is currently 19,95$ at US Store.

It is on UK PSN I suppose, but the US deal is much better and it is the same code.

I still haven't digged what the crown is about, other icons in that row appear when you're using assists, but crown always stay and it never highlights or anything.

Maybe it is for H-Shifter, it is the only thing I haven't tried TBH.

I just picked it up/downloaded myself. I have a PWFLSH whatever GT3 RS: V2 wheel. Are those setting you put up there for that wheel as well? My issue with the Porsche wheel in other games has been a deadzone somtimes, though that's due to the game usually, but more importantly, the wheel just doesn't spring back to position fast enough.

I did two laps on Catalunya with the 360 to get a feel for the game. With the controller, the car felt really great. The acceleration is immediate and the car feels POWERFUL, as it should. I thought it would be very arcadey but it was no such thing. I had to properly slow down before a turn and if i put down to much power the car would get unsettled!

I can't to put some proper time with a wheel. Should make for an interesting comparison with Trofeo Pirelli. And Super Car Challenge.

Watevaman

Kind of curious, I know Project CARS is going to support it, Shift 2 seems to support it through third party means, but does this support TrackIR?

_machine

Kind of curious, I know Project CARS is going to support it, Shift 2 seems to support it through third party means, but does this support TrackIR?
How's the first Shift though?

TDRFL seems to based on the earlier forward render that was used NFS:S so it could mean either worse or better support for TrackIR/3D/3-Screen setups compared to S2U.

Watevaman

I personally haven't tried it with Shift 1 or 2, I've only seen videos on Youtube. It doesn't look too bad, but if it's similar I might be able to use the profiles for it in this.

I'll probably test it out this weekend when I pick this up. It's not a deal breaker but it'd be a nice surprise if it works.

1-D_FTW

How's the first Shift though?

TDRFL seems to based on the earlier forward render that was used NFS:S so it could mean either worse or better support for TrackIR/3D/3-Screen setups compared to S2U.

I guess that makes sense. It received the same 3D rating (by Nvidia) as Shift (certain things rendering at wrong depth). Shift 2, on the other hand, earned the rare "Not Recommended" rating.

Have Shift in my Steam library, so I guess I'll just redownload that to get a glimpse of what I could expect for 3D in TD:F.

Top Bottom