• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Force [Import OT] | The definitive strategy RPG, now on the J-PSN.

cj_iwakura

DF-1.jpg

There is no game quite like Dragon Force.

The version we'll be discussing was released for the Playstation Network some time ago, and is a port of the Playstation 2 version, which was never released in America.

Originally released in 1996 for the Sega Saturn, Dragon Force is a mixture of base management, troop movement, and real-time strategic warfare.

Brought to the US thanks to Working Designs, and later published in Europe, Dragon Force was developed by a very talented team at Sega.
There was a sequel later developed for the Saturn, including dual troops and new rulers, though it was unfortunately never localized.

Although considered inferior to the original by most, it's still worth a play, and is currently being fan translated.

The game focuses on eight separate kingdoms embroiled in a war for the rule over Legendra. The ruler who conquers the others must then unite the other factions together to bring an end to the Dark God, Madruk.

Intro4.jpg

The PS2 version has completely redone artwork and portraits, as well as voice acting, and new optional boss fights.

012-1.jpg

Whomever you choose becomes a member of the Dragon Force, tasked by the goddess Astea to bring an end to the War of the Eight Kings, and bring Legendra together before Madruk tears it apart.

At the start of a new campaign, you get to pick from one of eight kingdoms.

dragonforce-map.jpg

Six are initially selectable, while the final two are unlocked upon clearing the game.

02c6c7de.jpg

ea71e0f9.jpg

90fcbcd9.jpg

95ed0246.jpg

54c26f92.jpg

lpdf17.jpg

e3f919c5.jpg

e9d240f5.jpg

Each kingdom has a completely different story, and their unique positions on the field will make each path to conquering Legendra a highly variable one.

Field Tactics (Moonspeak Edition)

Domestic Affairs (Moonspeak Edition)

So of course, you're probably wondering, cj, how can I play this awesome game in Japanese on my US PS3!?

Well, half of that is easy.

How To Buy Dragon Force (Moonspeak Edition)http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41677932&postcount=97
JPSN013.jpg

Hopefully those links prove useful. If not, ask and I'll happily assist.

$20 is easily worthwhile, and there's many Dragon Force vets here who can gladly help you through any confusion. Heck, I'll dig up the English Saturn script if I need to.

Now go make war!

015-1.jpg

Or love, I suppose.

011-1.jpg

Vamphuntr

I discovered this game last year when I found a US saturn copy in good condition. I think it's a great game but I wouldn't recommend buying it if you cannot read Japanese. I don't think it's going to be very entertaining to learn what each of the menus/commands does and not understand what the characters are saying during story sequences, when you attack their stronghold, when you get reports or when you visit them in prison and so on. Understanding what is going on is really a good chunk of the experience here.

How's the PS2 port? It's a great bargain if you can read Japanese and want a digital copy or don't have a saturn but you could probably get the original JP saturn version for the same price :p

cj_iwakura

I discovered this game last year when I found a US saturn copy in good condition. I think it's a great game but I wouldn't recommend buying it if you cannot read Japanese. I don't think it's going to be very entertaining to learn what each of the menus/commands does and not understand what the characters are saying during story sequences, when you attack their stronghold, when you get reports or when you visit them in prison and so on. Understanding what is going on is really a good chunk of the experience here.

How's the PS2 port? It's a great bargain if you can read Japanese and want a digital copy or don't have a saturn but you could probably get the original JP saturn version for the same price :p

Flawless, far as I can tell, and I've beaten the original upwards of ten times.

Some of the new art is questionable, but a lot of it is dang good.

And I figure the barrier of entry for someone importing it is easier than picking up a Saturn and a 15 year old game.

Sanctuary

This was one of my favorite games for the Saturn. It also happened to be one of the favorite games of my friends, and ended up outside of my house more than in. :(

If you don't object to using an emulator, the US version of this game is floating around.

Duxxy3

This along with all my other saturn games (and saturn) were lost by my brother when he went away to college.

Oh that reminds me!!

Brb, need to kill brother.

jeremy1456

While others were playing Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre I was playing the far superior Dragon Force. Probably better than both of those games combined.

I still have my US Saturn copy so probably won't bother with the PS2 version.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I become that I haven't finished the game with Mikhal yet. I should rectify that, but he's always seemed the least interesting of the 8 monarchs to me. Like he wouldn't really be missed if he wasn't there. His kingdom's location doesn't help either.

The main thing you'd be missing out on is the battle dialogue. It's almost ridiculous how many awesome taunts this game has.

But that's Jagged Alliance 2.
cSCxC.gif

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
While others were playing Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre I was playing the far superior Dragon Force. Probably better than both of those games combined.

I still have my US Saturn copy so probably won't bother with the PS2 version.

Game snob is still a thing? uh...ok

Anyway, I'll hope Sega or whoever has the publishing rights here will bring it over. I've heard rumors of this and all parts of SFIII being put on PSN, I'd like to play them.

Mikhal

Didn't realize this thread existed till I saw the other one Rentahamster made. Great job! I wish I can get my hands on the great Dragon Force poster Working Designs used to sell on their website. I had one back when I was in high school (along with the Shining Wisdom and Sega CD Lunar ones). They were awesome! Couldn't find a pic of the DF one but it's just the JP boxart.

11E1BD44-E01B-5B39-AD13AAE11CB0A9CE.jpg

Mikazuki ftw
Agreed!

Alias Greed

Neo Member
I LOVE Dragon Force for the most part, but there is one aspect of the game I hate with a passion.

cj_iwakura. Did you hate this as much as I did ?

The only thing I hate with a passion about Dragon Force is this:

When you go Highland
Code:
Palemoon Auto Joins

When you go Tradnor
Code:
Everyone Auto Joins You

ETC.

That's the only thing that would piss me off to no end about this game, I wish there was a free-form mode where you would conquer the map without a story. That is the only thing that is missing from Dragon Force.

I love playing as Leon since he's in the middle of the map and putting fake handicaps on myself to make the game a lot more difficult. (For example a fake handicap would be no more than 3 generals in 1 castle).

Aeana

Game snob is still a thing? uh...ok

Anyway, I'll hope Sega or whoever has the publishing rights here will bring it over. I've heard rumors of this and all parts of SFIII being put on PSN, I'd like to play them.

I'm surprised you aren't familiar with his posts by now.

cj_iwakura

I LOVE Dragon Force for the most part, but there is one aspect of the game I hate with a passion.

cj_iwakura. Did you hate this as much as I did ?

The only thing I hate with a passion about Dragon Force is this:

When you go Highland
Code:
Palemoon Auto Joins

When you go Tradnor
Code:
Everyone Auto Joins You

ETC.

That's the only thing that would piss me off to no end about this game, I wish there was a free-form mode where you would conquer the map without a story. That is the only thing that is missing from Dragon Force.

I love playing as Leon since he's in the middle of the map and putting fake handicaps on myself to make the game a lot more difficult. (For example a fake handicap would be no more than 3 generals in 1 castle).

Challenge mode for Tradnor: conquer before Wein gets to them. It is possible.

I pulled it off using Guerilla Mode: no recruitment, just use your core generals.

And yeah, Leon is a tough fight. No one auto joins, either. It's all out war.

Alias Greed

Neo Member
Challenge mode for Tradnor: conquer before Wein gets to them. It is possible.

I pulled it off using Guerilla Mode: no recruitment, just use your core generals.

And yeah, Leon is a tough fight. No one auto joins, either. It's all out war.

Nice, I'll have to try that someday. Seems fun, I like challenges.

I know Dragon Force II is not as good but I really hope the translation project for that game is completed soon I really want to play it.

Did you ever play Brigandine by Atlus, while not as good as Dragon Force, if you turn off animations to make the game fast, the game is fucking amazing as well. There's only 6 nations (compared to 8 in dragon force) but more castles in the world map than Dragon Force.

Also I wish Brigandine: Grand Edition would be fan translated some day using the original Brigandine translation. PSN online version of Brigandine: Grand Edition would be mind blowing.

cj_iwakura

Shit! oh well I asked for that thanks anyway.

Um shouldn't you edit her out of the gameplay icon?

The intro reveals it anyway. If you don't play as them, though, yeah, it's kind of a surprise.

There's really no character like Junon.
No female character in any game comes close.

cj_iwakura

Finishing up my Junon campaign. I like how Zanon's posse all have unique faces now. Before his spirit user just had a generic portrait.

And Gaul's new art is boss.

gfs_62362_2_10.jpg

cj_iwakura

Just have Fandaria left. Already did all the optional town encounters.

When do you fight the optional bosses, prior to the showdown with Madruk I assume?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Caught a cold, so I'm just chillin' and fired this old classic up. Still awesome. Would love a remake.

edit: Saturn version. I dun have the Sega Ages version :(

Top Bottom