• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Dreamcast

Dereck

Tomorrow, I'm headed off to a game store to pick up a Dreamcast for my birthday. Odd choice, yeah?

I didn't own one when it came out for long. My parents' friends' son burnt a bunch of games for me, and I got to try out most of the greatest. Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, SFIII, it was awesome.

Then my console died on me. Kaput. I vowed to purchase one again later, but it always left my mind.

Thankfully, two great friends bought me another one a few years back, and for another short time period, I got to play. When I moved, I lost the cords, and the system vanished at my family's house.

I'm not going to let that happen again. It's time I get back to the console that I miss the most. I guess I was at the party, but then I left, came back, left again, and now I hope someone can open the door for me.

Let's get started. I need a list of games I should try. I don't even care if you think I've played 'em. Just go at it.
Invest in games, burned backups are cool until your laser strains more than it has to.

Teknoman

Hey, at least Pen Pen is still exclusive to the Creampants - give it a try if you can.

Cannon Spike, Power Stone series, and Project Justice. Isnt the DC version of Skies of Arcadia better than the GC, even with the extra content? Also its still got the best version of Grandia 2.

D6AMIA6N

OH GOD, VIRTUA GOD DAMN TENNIS. The epic drunken matches and literal fights between best friends lol. Best party game ever! The drop shot was devious!

RedSwirl

Shenmue is pretty much the only game left not better played elsewhere. You were indeed LTTP.

Despite the Dreamcast being my personal favorite console, I'm gonna have to mostly agree. There's still a lot of under-the-radar stuff that might only be on Dreamcast still, but all the major games have either superior ports or superior sequels elsewhere. The problem is that they're spread all over other platforms.

-Crazy Taxi on DC is still the only version that has both product placement and the YA YA YA YA YA!
-Grandia 2 is still best played on the Dreamcast.
-Power Stone 2 as well but the DC version is expensive as fuck.
-Resident Evil 2 is also best played on Dremacast - only console version that runs at 60fps.

That's kinda it off the top of my head.

Cannon Spike, Power Stone series, and Project Justice. Isnt the DC version of Skies of Arcadia better than the GC, even with the extra content? Also its still got the best version of Grandia 2.

How is Skies better on the DC?

TaroYamada

Overrated little box with a bad controller whose best games either got ported or had better sequels on newer consoles, but I have to admit I always liked this game:

Do Gaffers make these posts in other retro-centric threads? Do other threads about retro consoles get posters coming in and downplaying the platforms because their once-exclusives have now been ported elsewhere? Because I only check in on the Dreamcast ones when I see them, and I've noticed this attitude quite a bit. With this logic, why buy a Genesis, SNES, NES, TurboGrafx, PS1, etc. when most of those libraries can be had on the Virtual Console, PSN or other DD services?

It just seems odd to me to claim that a classic console is overrated, in part because its games have now been ported elsewhere in a superior form. That has no bearing on the quality of a system within its lifespan, which is when a system would earn its reputation for the most part.

RedSwirl

Isnt the DC version of Skies of Arcadia better than the GC, even with the extra content?

According to Wiki the DC version's only advantage is audio quality. GC version has slightly better graphics, faster load times, better framerate, and a lower random encounter rate (but slightly higher exp yields).

DonMigs85

Nah, GC version is better overall - slightly worse sound quality since they had to compress it to get 2 GD-ROMs on one GC disc, but it has a lower encounter rate and bonus characters thrown in. Better graphics too - the characters have articulated fingers all the time now.

DonMigs85

Do Gaffers make these posts in other retro-centric threads? Do other threads about retro consoles get posters coming in and downplaying the platforms because their once-exclusives have now been ported elsewhere? Because I only check in on the Dreamcast ones when I see them, and I've noticed this attitude quite a bit. With this logic, why buy a Genesis, SNES, NES, TurboGrafx, PS1, etc. when most of those libraries can be had on the Virtual Console, PSN or other DD services?

It just seems odd to me to claim that a classic console is overrated, in part because its games have now been ported elsewhere in a superior form. That has no bearing on the quality of a system within its lifespan, which is when a system would earn its reputation for the most part.

There's still a ton of good as well as obscure SNES and Genesis games that never got ports or sequels. The Saturn hardware is probably worth owning more than the DC IMO, since the Panzer Dragoon titles, Clockwork Knight and a bunch of other games were never released elsewhere.

kyoya

1-ilbleedmanualcover.jpg

TaroYamada

There's still a ton of good as well as obscure SNES and Genesis games that never got ports or sequels. The Saturn hardware is probably worth owning more than the DC IMO, since the Panzer Dragoon titles, Clockwork Knight and a bunch of other games were never released elsewhere.

I don't deny that most of the DC library has been ported, it just doesn't really indicate whether the platform is overrated or not. I don't view that as a cohesive metric by which to make that judgment. It earned the reputation it has by building a fantastic library of titles, featuring some of the finest games in the medium, in a very short period of time. I don't think a valid argument can be made that just because ports were later made, after its discontinuation, that it is somehow undeserving of that reputation.

DonMigs85

I don't deny that most of the DC library has been ported, it just doesn't really indicate whether the platform is overrated or not. I don't view that as a cohesive metric by which to make that judgment. It earned the reputation it has by building a fantastic library of titles, featuring some of the finest games in the medium, in a very short period of time. I don't think a valid argument can be made that just because ports were later made, after its discontinuation, that it is somehow undeserving of that reputation.

The only thing I'm really against is a person going out of his way and potentially spending quite a bit of money on an old console and games when he can just get possibly better alternatives on a modern console or PC.

By the way, is Tony Hawk HD really bad? It got pretty good reviews for the most part, though they did take out split-screen and the track creator.

Wasn't there a PC ver. of Grandia 2?

I've had a hard time building up a solid "identity" for my Dreamcast and have always bordered on selling it. Only Grandia 2 and the DC ver. of RE2 are really anchoring me to the console (due to the higher difficulty modes).

antitrop

By the way, is Tony Hawk HD really bad? It got pretty good reviews for the most part, though they did take out split-screen and the track creator.

Hell yeah, man. Tony Hawk HD has a terrible soundtrack, the graphics aren't good by budget standards, it uses a different physics engine than the original (mostly for worse), and on PC it runs at 720p max, like Dark Souls (YAY Durante). It's bad. Best version is still the old ones, on your platform of choice. I think Tony Hawk 3 on PS2 is still the best.

Wasn't there a PC ver. of Grandia 2?

I've had a hard time building up a solid "identity" for my Dreamcast and have always bordered on selling it. Only Grandia 2 and the DC ver. of RE2 are really anchoring me to the console (due to the higher difficulty modes).

Yes and it was crap, crashed all the time, lots of bugs. PS2 version had terrible framerate issues, so DC version of Grandia II is the best.

RpgN

I've been on a Dreamcast game buying binge lately. Had to stop and say no more.

Same here, I got Headhunter and E.G.G. Currently I'm waiting for Blue Stinger and Bangai-Oh to arrive. I'm planning on getting the Crazy Taxi games and more in the future. It's getting costly every time you think you own every interesting dreamcast game, you find out about more games that might also be worth getting. In the end, I'm coming to the conclusion that there will always be interesting dreamcast games to get if you keep on searching for them. So I'm going to stop buying some after like 2-4 essential games, enjoy the ones I own and then decide wether it's time to get more.

Not sure what some are on about, the dreamcast has some really underrated gems. After playing E.G.G (Elemental Gimmick Gear) for a fair bit, it boggles the mind how this game is hardly talked about anywhere (even on GAF). It looks like a real gem, with gorgeous hand-drawn 2D graphics, memorable music and that Zelda-esque exploration.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of Virtua Tennis, which of the 2 is the better game? I remember having a lot of fun with the first one but never tried the second.

There are still a few left with no port (or a port missing a key feature)

Soul Calibur (mission mode)
Project Justice
Shenmue
Shenmue II (voices)
Power Stone
Power Stone 2
Tech Romancer
Plasma Sword
Cannon Spike
Sword of the Berserk
Border Down
Mars Matrix
Gigawing
Gigawing 2
Zero Gunner 2
Bangai-O
Record Of Lodoss War
Cosmic Smash
Toy Commander
Metropolis Street Racer
Elemental Gimmick Gear
D2

You sir, are amazing for mentioning those. Two of my favorites - highly recommended.

Yesterday i've played on my Dreamcast. Connected via RGB scart on a litte CRT TV.

Once i a while i feel so nostalgic that i NEED to play on my favorite console.

brumx

Blue Stinger (best mediocre game ever)
Toy Commander (nothing like it this gen)
VF3 (best VF okay port)
Daytona USA(should of been 2 still okay)

I remember being the only one of my friends with a Dreamcast. They would talk about the PS2 while I touted Lodoss War, Grandia 2, RE:Code Veronica (DC ver still the best), among others. They would just say Madden.

It was a hard year for a fanboy.

Top Bottom