• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Dreamcast

Tomorrow, I'm headed off to a game store to pick up a Dreamcast for my birthday. Odd choice, yeah?

I didn't own one when it came out for long. My parents' friends' son burnt a bunch of games for me, and I got to try out most of the greatest. Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, SFIII, it was awesome.

Then my console died on me. Kaput. I vowed to purchase one again later, but it always left my mind.

Thankfully, two great friends bought me another one a few years back, and for another short time period, I got to play. When I moved, I lost the cords, and the system vanished at my family's house.

I'm not going to let that happen again. It's time I get back to the console that I miss the most. I guess I was at the party, but then I left, came back, left again, and now I hope someone can open the door for me.

Let's get started. I need a list of games I should try. I don't even care if you think I've played 'em. Just go at it.

bigkrev

Zombie Revenge
Crazy Taxi (The way it was intended to be played)
For a buck or 2, you should get one of the NBA 2k or the NFL 2k games, purely for historical reasons
And if you don't mind dropping some money, Powerstone 2 and Project Justice are later life gems

If they had one on sale for like $10 with a bunch of throw in games. I'd be down for it

More like 20. But it's worth it.

Shenmue is pretty much the only game left not better played elsewhere. You were indeed LTTP.

I've played Power Stone on my PSP and the loading times are gross.

The rest is just "HD" versions of the games and unless they fix framerates and loading times dramatically, then I don't care too much. Not saying none of them did, but if they did, I'd consider it.

antitrop

Nostalgia time!

My parents bought my brother and I a Dreamcast for Christmas in 1999 along with Sonic Adventure and Toy Commander. I played the absolute shit out of Toy Commander during Winter Break, it was glorious. That game was so kickass and ambitious right out the gate.

antitrop

My favorite Dreamcast games, in no particular order, were off the top of my head stuff like Phantasy Star Online, Bangai-O, Cannon Spike, Jet Set Radio, Shenmue (SAILORS?), Grandia II, Skies of Arcadia, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Crazy Taxi, Tony Hawks, Power Stones, Soul Calibur, Typing of the Dead, E.G.G., and probably a bunch more I can't even remember anymore.

I think honestly the game I spent the absolute most time with on the Dreamcast (other than PSO, I played the shit out of that) was Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1, I never owned a PS1 so I played it endlessly.

More like 20. But it's worth it.

I've played Power Stone on my PSP and the loading times are gross.

The rest is just "HD" versions of the games and unless they fix framerates and loading times dramatically, then I don't care too much. Not saying none of them did, but if they did, I'd consider it.

Yeah, I thought about that, but the problem is, you will have a hard time finding Powerstone 1 & 2 for under $50 a shot ... and honestly at that price, they are overpriced.

antitrop

Also get a VGA box if your TV/monitor supports VGA, the picture quality is way better over VGA.
I missed out on the VGA experience when I owned a Dreamcast, I played it on such a crappy TV from the 80's. I was too young to afford my own TV, so I had to use the hand down from my parents, the IQ was hilariously bad. That's also the same TV I used throughout the entirety of my ownership of a PS2, so my games never looked good when I was a kid. But I didn't mind.

I always thought there's no way PowerStone on PSP could be good, due to the system's control layout alone (that shitty analog nub). I also heard the graphics are pretty bad, with framerate issues but could be wrong.

antitrop

I always thought there's no way PowerStone on PSP could be good, due to the system's control layout alone (that shitty analog nub). I also heard the graphics are pretty bad, with framerate issues but could be wrong.
I played it on PSP. I remember thinking that it's pretty much what I expected Power Stone to be like on a PSP, for better or worse.

brumx

I kinda prefer playing DC games on DC due to it matching how it should look and feel with the system. Still has the best CrazyTaxi and Sonic Adv1 but the games where few.

DonMigs85

Overrated little box with a bad controller whose best games either got ported or had better sequels on newer consoles, but I have to admit I always liked this game:

PenPenTriIcelon.jpg

antitrop

Overrated little box with a bad controller whose best games either got ported or had better sequels on newer consoles, but I have to admit I always liked this game:
I can't say I can disagree with that, although I don't think it's overrated. For the time, granted, the Dreamcast was really, really cool and I love it very much.

brainpann

Dreamcast has a very nice community of support still. GunLord was recently released and the pre-release (unreleased) Geist Force has been hacked to run on stock Dreamcasts, which should be released to the the public fairly soon.

Of course some people already have their copies. :)

DonMigs85

I can't say I can disagree with that, although I don't think it's overrated. For the time, granted, the Dreamcast was really, really cool and I love it very much.

Oh definitely, most N64 and PS1 games looked downright hideous against the likes of Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventure. But in today's world? Unless you're a collector I just don't think it's worthwhile to own anymore.

brainpann

Heres hoping for some DC ports on Wii U with full VMU support. LOL, could you imagine the VMU being on the gargantuan (in comparison) Wii U gamepad screen?

kunonabi

I've been on a Dreamcast game buying binge lately. Had to stop and say no more.

I know how that is. I just picked up two lightguns, HOTD2, and Death Crimson 2 not to mention my adv spree from last month.

I'm actually this close to picking up Spawn and and Record of Lodoss War. I've managed to resist temptation so far.

Completely false.

Don't get me wrong, Dreamcast = godlike. I am following the thread to see if I am corrected. So far the only other thing I would say you'd be wise to play on Dreamcast besides my earlier recommended Shenmue is Powerstone 1/2. PSP port wasn't great, and it's not out on PSN/XBLA for some reason.

We live in a weird time where the dreamcast was so beloved that it was reincarnated via ports/re-masters.

terrisus

Chu Chu Rocket was the reason I bought a Dreamcast (for which, although I played it at launch, I was LTTP for buying myself), and it was this commercial's fault. Great game.

As far as other games, some great RPGs/RPG-ish games:
Record of Lodoss War, Time Stalkers, Silver, Skies of Arcadia, Evolution 1 and 2, Grandia 2, and Phantasy Star Online

And then as far as other games:
Shenmue, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, and Sega Smash Pack

While some of them have since been ported to other systems, there are a couple of them in there that haven't, and are definitely worth checking out.

Fusebox

Banned
Don't be blinded by nostalgia and Sega loyalty, Fusebox. You know the truth deep down in your heart.

I'm serious though!

Everyone should play Seaman. EVERYONE.

And there's no better fishing game than Bass Fishing. And Tokyo Bus Driver is like digital crack for me.

And Shenmue... helloooo sailors!

And Typing of the Dead! Is there a better typing game on any other system? I suspect not!

And Virtual-On! I spent so many dollars on that in the arcade, finally I could play it at home.

Did I mention Seaman?

And Space Channel 5! Ohh la laaaa Ulala!

And don't forget Craaaaazy Taxi!

OMG DC is a beast!

Zero Gunner 2 is another sick, sick DC/arcade exclusive that never got ported to anything else, but it costs an arm and a leg last time I checked. I'd say to check out Virtual ON: Oratorio Tangram but that finally did get ported to XBLA with online multiplayer. You're also at a disadvantage unless you invest in the twinsticks, which are expensive.

DonMigs85

I'm serious though!

Everyone should play Seaman. EVERYONE.

And there's no better fishing game than Bass Fishing. And Tokyo Bus Driver is like digital crack for me.

And Shenmue... helloooo sailors!

And Typing of the Dead! Is there a better typing game on any other system? I suspect not!

And Virtual-On! I spent so many dollars on that in the arcade, finally I could play it at home.

Did I mention Seaman?

And Space Channel 5! Ohh la laaaa Ulala!

And don't forget Craaaaazy Taxi!

OMG DC is a beast!
Bass Fishing is only good with the rod controller, and it's available on the PC and HD twins.
Typing of the Dead is on PC too.
Space Channel 5's sequel is out on PC and the HD twins as well, along with Crazy Taxi.
I don't really care much for Virtual On. So I'll give you Seaman and Shenmue.

Don't get me wrong, Dreamcast = godlike. I am following the thread to see if I am corrected. So far the only other thing I would say you'd be wise to play on Dreamcast besides my earlier recommended Shenmue is Powerstone 1/2. PSP port wasn't great, and it's not out on PSN/XBLA for some reason.

We live in a weird time where the dreamcast was so beloved that it was reincarnated via ports/re-masters.

There are still a few left with no port (or a port missing a key feature)

Soul Calibur (mission mode)
Project Justice
Shenmue
Shenmue II (voices)
Power Stone
Power Stone 2
Tech Romancer
Plasma Sword
Cannon Spike
Sword of the Berserk
Border Down
Mars Matrix
Gigawing
Gigawing 2
Zero Gunner 2
Bangai-O
Record Of Lodoss War
Cosmic Smash
Toy Commander
Metropolis Street Racer
Elemental Gimmick Gear
D2

But those don't include the ones where the ports are about even with DC, or maybe worse. The thing I disagree with you about is that you can play the games "better"... some were basically made for DC hardware, you can't play them better. Such as Crazy Taxi or Virtua Tennis. I wouldn't even say there is a better version of MvC2.

And you should also take into account the difference between handhelds and consoles. For example, Chu Chu Rocket! has no console port yet does it?

D6AMIA6N

Remember fondly the day I bought my Dreamcast. Most memorable to me were Phantasy Star Online, Skies of Arcadia, and Resident Evil Code Veronica. I think you may be too late to the party though friend. Oh another good one was Space Chanel 5, my girlfriend at the time and her friends loved Ulala.

Edit: shit you've got me thinking! DOA2, NFL 2K, Quake Arena, all kinds of awesome games! Loved DC! Maybe you aren't too late to the party!

Tech Romancer is a really badass 3D super robot fighting game by Capcom. Definitely one of the more overlooked gems on the DC.

I have to mention it in every DC thread.

Fusebox

Banned
Bass Fishing is only good with the rod controller, and it's available on the PC and HD twins.
Typing of the Dead is on PC too.
Space Channel 5's sequel is out on PC and the HD twins as well, along with Crazy Taxi.
I don't really care much for Virtual On. So I'll give you Seaman and Shenmue.

Stop crushing my dreams! :(

Top Bottom