• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koodo

Banned
Even Xtina has had some pop culture "moments" in this regard. teehee
The most iconic flop. *.*

HMDWo.gif

I agree. One sees constant success on the hot 100 charts and the other doesn't.

Misstyped mine. Anyways.

When talent is only measure by $$$$ its easier to understand why popgaf has such low standards.

Florence has never cracked the top 10......yet she still shits all over your favs. It burns eh?

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
waiT..... from the Rolling Stone article

Maybe a year from now, after 4 has spun off a year of radio, digital and video hits, Lady G and Honey B will be more evenly matched, tugging on either end of the Queen of Pop scepter

iNNM5i6A33dvi.gif

Kyon

Banned
Godneys new make-up artist PROMISED us he would give her a makeover. I've only seen far away pics but now she's recording for the Tonight Show so we can see it in its GLORY.

BANGNEY IS BACK CUNTS

A6alhU9CcAAPz_B.jpg

tumblr_mcol7csQ1N1r23uddo1_400.jpg

tumblr_mcol2mUEjm1qbki1vo1_400.jpg

royalan

Godneys new make-up artist PROMISED us he would give her a makeover. I've only seen far away pics but now she's recording for the Tonight Show so we can see it in its GLORY.

BANGNEY IS BACK CUNTS

A6alhU9CcAAPz_B.jpg

tumblr_mcol7csQ1N1r23uddo1_400.jpg

tumblr_mcol2mUEjm1qbki1vo1_400.jpg

She should never NOT have bangs.

She looks fresh-faced and is giving me classic Britney teas.

And it's nice that they remembered to give her eyebrows this time.

Zayn Malik is already gearing up to be our next pop male saviour.

Meh.

I mean...I <3 1D and he is one of the better singers (sorry Niall and Louis you are terrible) but I doubt he will ever be considered the "star" of the group. His personality to too meh. Maybe he will go solo.....who knows.

Edit:

Bangs are a HUGE mistake. Guess they are trying a time machine back to when she would relevant. Good attempt.

(overall an improvement though)

Kyon

Banned
She should never NOT have bangs.

She looks fresh-faced and is giving me classic Britney teas.

And it's nice that they remembered to give her eyebrows this time.

He was making LOTS of tweets about her eyebrows. He said Britney said "I'm Britney BITCH I need eyebrows" or something. He is so much better than the one Simon gave her. Thank God

Kyon

Banned
Edit:

Bangs are a HUGE mistake. Guess they are trying a time machine back to when she would relevant. Good attempt.

(overall an improvement though)

No amount of gifs..... But I guess this is the only nice thing you ever said about anyone but your NEVER been faves :)

You're adorable when you trash the gurls.

*sits on your lap* :)

Pft.

My favs are the foundation that keeps maintain what little respect pop music has left so that people can spend time fighting over which talentless hack is the queen of talentless hacks.

You should be worshiping and Kelly Clarkson and Florence's feet in gratitude.

Ties

Banned
Most pop singers are trashy what can I say?

My "never been" favs are blessed to not have to be compared to the terriqueens of pop.
ixoSshEKGAVPp.gif

Pft.

My favs are the foundation that keeps maintain what little respect pop music has left so that people can spend time fighting over which talentless hack is the queen of talentless hacks.

ixoSshEKGAVPp.gif

ixoSshEKGAVPp.gif

ixoSshEKGAVPp.gif

Kyon

Banned
Pft.

I don't Stan them I STAN Carrie. Do you think she's talentless?

@TIES WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN SIS? ;___;

Always late to a discussion, but here goes...

The transition from Madonna to Britney to Lady Gaga makes the most sense, and that timeline shows a shift in both the pop climate and how the mainstream views female empowerment. Madonna earned her success (and her many failures) through a cut-throat, neo-feminist mentality. She demanded respect with a personality and political edge that most in hindsight would call confrontational and even crude. Her brand of feminism was powerful and attention-grabbing, but it was also flimsy and short-lived. You can prove that that mentality was short-lived because of her endless re-inventions. Yes, many of her re-inventions followed an era of success (which showed her giant lady balls), but the fact is that she re-invented her image and music because she NEEDED to.

I'm not trying to diminish her legacy or her ability to keep the spotlight on her, because she has. But it's obvious from looking at the mainstream opinion of her as a WOMAN that she's garnered slightly more disdain and hatred than pure, unadulterated love. It was her intention from the onset, but it reflects how her brand of raw, in-your-face controversy was no longer wanted or needed by people by the start of the 2000s. Speaking only about the music, I think that experimental and risk-taking spirit in releasing different kinds of albums became very unpopular by the late 90s, and there was a transition into more of a dedicated FORMULA with pop acts. Music studios retained their control both on the business and the creative side, and hence Britney Spears was born.

Britney's legacy represents the fetishizing of women in a way reminiscent of the 1960s pin-up days . When she debuted in that school-girl dress and pig tails it was obvious that the world was ready (again) for a young, innocent woman to inspire people. On the business side, it reflected a tightening of creative direction, song writers re-emerged with power and responsibility. It was during this pop era that things took a creative stall, but nobody can deny that Britney's legacy is that of fully realized, traditionally PERFECT pop music. Manufactured, unoriginal, yes. But quantifiably perfect. She inspired a cavalcade of pop acts that were front-loaded with one or two good pop songs, but their quick descent into obscurity showed that labels put more credence in looks than creative talent. I think her meltdown showed fragility in more ways than just her personal life. People were ready for a bold, powerful woman to take pop by the balls and inspire people in a new, better way.

Lady Gaga is the anti-Britney. But she's also the anti-Madonna. She counters Britney's fragility and quiet emphasis on creative direction with boldness and an almost pretentious insistence of talking up her own creativity. She counters Madonna's crassness and rude rebellion with an intelligent articulation that made her brand of rebellion more intellectual and believable. Her brand of music isn't quite as realized as her political/personality brand, but it's getting there. She's energized the pop scene in a more authentic way than Britney did; in both bold style and politically-charged music. As a fan of both Britney and Madonna, she's obviously studied up. Her style of unpredictability is more fast-changing and schizophrenic than Madonna's, but (at least so far) it doesn't stem from a need to regain attention so much as a testament to her craving experimentation and testing mainstream tolerance. She's meta in a way Madonna didn't understand until later in her career, and even then couldn't quite get a handle of it. In her short career she's gained respect from industry godfathers and other mainstream mediums in ways Madonna always failed to do. If Gaga's legacy plays out the way she wants it to, then she'll be remembered as the all-time quintessential pop star.

I don't Stan them I STAN Carrie. Do you think she's talentless?

@TIES WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN SIS? ;___;

<3 Carrie.

I remember when people called her pop. Before Taylor came around and showed her who was queen of REALLY selling out your country music roots. No one can pander to the lowest common denominator quite like Taylor.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

The transition from Madonna to Britney to Lady Gaga makes the most sense, and that timeline shows a shift in both the pop climate and how the mainstream views female empowerment. Madonna earned her success (and her many failures) through a cut-throat, neo-feminist mentality. She demanded respect with a personality and political edge that most in hindsight would call confrontational and even crude. Her brand of feminism was powerful and attention-grabbing, but it was also flimsy and short-lived. You can prove that that mentality was short-lived because of her endless re-inventions. Yes, many of her re-inventions followed an era of success (which showed her giant lady balls), but the fact is that she re-invented her image and music because she NEEDED to.

I'm not trying to diminish her legacy or her ability to keep the spotlight on her, because she has. But it's obvious from looking at the mainstream opinion of her as a WOMAN that she's garnered slightly more disdain and hatred than pure, unadulterated love. It was her intention from the onset, but it reflects how her brand of raw, in-your-face controversy was no longer wanted or needed by people by the start of the 2000s. Speaking only about the music, I think that experimental and risk-taking spirit in releasing different kinds of albums became very unpopular by the late 90s, and there was a transition into more of a dedicated FORMULA with pop acts. Music studios retained their control both on the business and the creative side, and hence Britney Spears was born.

Britney's legacy represents the fetishizing of women in a way reminiscent of the 1960s pin-up days . When she debuted in that school-girl dress and pig tails it was obvious that the world was ready (again) for a young, innocent woman to inspire people. On the business side, it reflected a tightening of creative direction, song writers re-emerged with power and responsibility. It was during this pop era that things took a creative stall, but nobody can deny that Britney's legacy is that of fully realized, traditionally PERFECT pop music. Manufactured, unoriginal, yes. But quantifiably perfect. She inspired a cavalcade of pop acts that were front-loaded with one or two good pop songs, but their quick descent into obscurity showed that labels put more credence in looks than creative talent. I think her meltdown showed fragility in more ways than just her personal life. People were ready for a bold, powerful woman to take pop by the balls and inspire people in a new, better way.

Lady Gaga is the anti-Britney. But she's also the anti-Madonna. She counters Britney's fragility and quiet emphasis on creative direction with boldness and an almost pretentious insistence of talking up her own creativity. She counters Madonna's crassness and rude rebellion with an intelligent articulation that made her brand of rebellion more intellectual and believable. Her brand of music isn't quite as realized as her political/personality brand, but it's getting there. She's energized the pop scene in a more authentic way than Britney did; in both bold style and politically-charged music. As a fan of both Britney and Madonna, she's obviously studied up. Her style of unpredictability is more fast-changing and schizophrenic than Madonna's, but (at least so far) it doesn't stem from a need to regain attention so much as a testament to her craving experimentation and testing mainstream tolerance. She's meta in a way Madonna didn't understand until later in her career, and even then couldn't quite get a handle of it. In her short career she's gained respect from industry godfathers and other mainstream mediums in ways Madonna always failed to do. If Gaga's legacy plays out the way she wants it to, then she'll be remembered as the all-time quintessential pop star.

Star worthy post with no lies
ibbAWXKAWXgbX5.gif

Mad respect.

Fabulous post Soulsis, even if I think you may be giving Britney less credit than she deserves/jumping the gun on Gaga. (&#65417;&#9685;&#12526;&#9685;)&#65417;*:&#65381;&#65439;&#10023;

Kyon

Banned
Fabulous post Soulsis, even if I think you may be giving Britney less credit than she deserves/jumping the gun on Gaga. (&#65417;&#9685;&#12526;&#9685;)&#65417;*:&#65381;&#65439;&#10023;

He drags Britney so it wasn't as bad as I expected actually
And Gaga is one of his faves so its only natural that he made Gaga sound better overall than Madge and her. Even tho Gagita did mist things Madge already did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom