• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 3 |OT| The fun has been TRIPLED!

Cheerilee

So is this show actually popular with its target demographic, or is it surviving solely because of bronies at this point

The ratings for MLP apparently lean towards bronies, who contribute a lot towards making it pretty much the #2 show on the Hub, just behind Transformers, but the entire network leans heavy towards the male demographic, so it's not-entirely-surprising that even MLP gets more male viewers, and the show's success outside of little girls is seen as a welcome support for their plan to reach out more to the little girls demographic. Hasbro wants little girls to tune in, so if they can keep putting out triple-A shows while they wait for this audience to materialize, and there's no penalty for that kind of investment, then they know that they are absolutely on the right track.

But toy sales apparently come mostly from little girls, and they have recently pushed MLP into the #1 position in Hasbro, outselling Transformers, which is currently suffering from a wonderful lack of terrible Michael Bay movies. Don't cry for Transformers though, because they have a new terrible Michael Bay movie coming in 2014 starring Marky Mark instead of Shia the Beef. (Edit: I take back my cheerful sarcasm. Weep for them.)

Toy sales can keep a toy show on the air even if it has bad ratings.

So bronies are great news for Hasbro, because we turned what was apparently MLP's only current weakness into a strength, but we're ultimately not needed as part of the game plan.

brian577

Banned
So did anyone realize that Derpy didn't make a single appearance in last week's episodes?

Bottom right corner

Joust_Derpy_Cameo.png

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Huh...so apparently I'm going to be working next semester with the guy who named and designed many of the famous ponies, including Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy. This was back in the "last generation" before Friendship is Magic, but its really cool in an odd way, since I don't care about the show.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Huh...so apparently I'm going to be working next semester with the guy who named and designed many of the famous ponies, including Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy. This was back in the "last generation" before Friendship is Magic, but its really cool in an odd way, since I don't care about the show.
Unfortunately past generations are left by the wayside. The art is less appealing and the shows themselves generally considered insipid.

brian577

Banned
Unfortunately past generations are left by the wayside. The art is less appealing and the shows themselves generally considered insipid.

True, I really wouldn't mind if the HUB aired older MLP though, just so I could check it out. If they can 80s Transformers and GI Joe, why not Pony?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
True, I really wouldn't mind if the HUB aired older MLP though, just so I could check it out. If they can 80s Transformers and GI Joe, why not Pony?
Maybe it has something to do with copyrights, for the same reason they could not use G1 pony names.

Orcastar

I'm pretty sure Twilight Sparkle didn't exist before FiM, though there was a G1 pony just named Twilight who Lauren Faust based Twilight Sparkle on. In FiM, Twilight Sparkle's mom shares a similar colour scheme and cutie mark with G1 Twilight, but she's never been referred to by name. Copyright issues, I'd imagine.

I like how the "dash" in original Rainbow Dash's name referred to her looks but for G4 Dash it's a reference to her speed.

I really liked this episode. I like it when Pinkie gets random, but now even she knows when to slow down, and it shows you can have too much "fun".

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Great episode, so many funny moments, expressions and animations - and I'm not even a big Pinkie Pie fan.

Best bits for me:
- "Can't decide... Trouble breathing... WALLS CLOSING UP!" "Walls? But... we're outside."
- "Look! A double me!" "I think you mean a double double me... plus another double double me, which makes two double double me's, or a double double double me, if you will."
- "Applejack. Fluttershy. Pinkie Pie."
- And of course, the regrettably spoiled "Betcha can't make your face crazier than THIS!"

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Very fun episode, though I didn't like Twilight holding the idiot ball when she couldn't tell that obviously sad Pinkie was the real one.

At least Dave Polsky has redeemed himself.

PBalfredo

Twilight, that had to be the least scientific test ever. Even the real Pinkie gets distracted. It only worked because the real Pinkie was there to hear you formulate the plan. That is, if the remaining Pinkie really is the real Pinkie!
Just wait until people start taking dumb theories like this very very seriously

My Little Pony: Existential Crisis is Magic

Prade

Good rebound after the premiere. Had me chuckle here and there. They did Pinkie better in this episode than all of season 2 IMO.

Twilight, that had to be the least scientific test ever. Even the real Pinkie gets distracted. It only worked because the real Pinkie was there to hear you formulate the plan. That is, if the remaining Pinkie really is the real Pinkie!

That sort of thing always happens with clone stories.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
All we learned in this episode is how good Twilight is at ruthlessly killing.
I'm probably overthinking this, but if the clone Pinkies were only magical constructs (making it admissible for Twilight to "unmake" them), there is no way that the undo spell would work on the real Pinkie.

Unless ALL ponies are magical constructs, of course.

I'm probably overthinking this, but if the clone Pinkies were only magical constructs (making it admissible for Twilight to "unmake" them), there is no way that the undo spell would work on the real Pinkie.

Unless ALL ponies are magical constructs, of course.

According to what Twilight read in the book, the spell also sends back the original if used on them.

I have a theory about this. When you create a clone it becomes somewhat of a caricature of the person (pony) that was cloned. So when the clones starts to clone themselves each new "generation" becomes more and more of a caricature of the original Pinkie. One side of Pinkie is that she has a rather short attention span when she thinks something is boring. This would then mean that each generation is getting a shorter and shorter attention span. So the clones that gave up almost immediately would be the latest ones, since they'd have the shortest attention span. The last two Pinkies left would be the real one and the original clone since that's the one that has the longest attention span, but still shorter than the real Pinkie's. But because of that she gives in before the real Pinkie, and thus the real one is revealed. The problem with this theory is that the real Pinkie cloned herself twice, which would create two "gen 1" clones. The solution might be that the pond saves the original Pinkie as a template and adds caricatureness to that every time it clones, or something. I'm way overthinking this...

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
OK, new theory about the mirror pond:

- The pond itself is a magical reservoir of sentient essence.
- When Pinkie created her clones, she extracted some amount of that essence and molded it after herself.
- All that Twilight did was send those bits back to the source. Since they were both sentient and parts of a sentient whole, no life was lost.
- Twilight was afraid of using the return spell on the real Pinkie, because that would cause Pinkie's unique, original essence to be diluted in the pond.

$200

Banned
So much gif material

cfe_zps00f36993.gif

02f_zps7602e423.gif

ec7_zps26b6002c.gif

a84_zps5470ee79.gif

- When Pinkie created her clones, she extracted some amount of that essence and molded it after herself.
- All that Twilight did was send those bits back to the source. Since they were both sentient and parts of a sentient whole, no life was lost.
- Twilight was afraid of using the return spell on the real Pinkie, because that would cause Pinkie's unique, original essence to be diluted in the pond.

The pond is made of gak.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

I have a theory too.

It's a plot device!

Top Bottom