• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Simping" |OT| or Where Dating and Depression Meet

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
First off... lets talk about what "Simping" is. There was a thread a while back that really hinged more on slang and semantics than anything else, but why not go beyond Urban Dictionary debates and talk about what it is?

Some people consider it laying your jacket down over a puddle of water so that the woman of your dreams may walk over it (and you) on the way to her boyfriend's house. Some think its a possible outcome from when people get 'stuck' in the whole courting dance right after the initial Ireallylikethispersonandfindthemattractive because of a lack of experience and social skills. Some think its just a sad hole that people fall into because they have no self-esteem or self-worth and turn the person that they are longing for into something much, much bigger than any person can be. Many think its only bad once you start to rationalize your actions by either ignoring the obvious signs that say this is going nowhere or lose perspective on the situation altogether.

Generally speaking, its devaluing yourself for the sake of another... and it can be done in all kinds of ways. Big and small.

Its probably all of these things. And I think almost everyone has been in these shoes at some point - maybe just a different size or a different color. Everyone is different, but that doesn't mean that people can't share similar experiences.

That girl in the back of class that you always hold the door open for? The owner of all the books you carry maybe? Maybe its the person that you give a ride to whenever they call even if you have something else going on?

A movie buddy that never pays. A co-worker or another student that always goes to lunch with you - and never pays. That person that you look forward to seeing every day even though you know in the back of your mind that their day remains the same regardless of your presence. She says its not a date - you continue saying to yourself that it is. You think she's the one; she doesn't even have your number saved.

Someone just went from "In A Relationship" to "Single" on Facebook - and you send a message right away that lets her know that she has a shoulder to lean on. You go all out on Valentine's Day or that person's birthday - and again, they don't even have your number saved.

You can't have a conversation with that person without their significant other being brought up somehow - and that's all you focus on.

I've been a contributor to Dating-age for years either through posting in the main threads or by speaking with people via PMs and I honestly believe that the biggest problem here is that people have issues being honest with themselves over anything else - and that is typically the root of all "Simp" problems. If you can't look at your situation for what it is, or simply insist on beating your head against a wall, then your issue goes beyond what simple dating advice can do for you. If you've gone all the way down to "I can't live/function without them"isms, then you're probably not needing dating advice either. At that point, you need someone to tell you to look into a mirror - and that isn't a bad thing either. Sometimes, you don't even know how bad you've become... and you just need that push back towards the general direction of reality.

And maybe that isn't the case either. Its entirely possible that you simply didn't get the class on what to do in order to start up a relationship with someone that you already have an eye for.

Either way, I think its best to differentiate as soon as possible. You can't talk someone into loving you, you can't buy that person enough stuff to make them value you as much as you value them, you can't force your way into someone's life, you can't subtly force your way into someone's life. You can't do all the things you think a boyfriend/girlfriend should do for their significant other, never even make your intentions clear from the start, then get mad at the world when they look at you like you're crazy.

Simping happens to everyone in some shape, form, or fashion in their life. The important thing is that you know when to catch yourself (not try and reject each outside voice) and learn from the experience instead of becoming resentful or more self-loathing.

I lived out a number of my breakups and simp-moments here. No shame in that. Hell, an online, anonymous forum is probably one of the best places for it in my opinion. Tell your old story or your ongoing one - even if you're unsure of your situation, your story is probably going to help someone else reading. Let it out, bros.

Emily Chu

Banned
I've never sealed the deal with a girl before

all my past sexual long/short term relationships with women were started by them to begin with........

so I don't even know how to approach this topic

it's also about risk and emotional, gain and lost assessment, this dating/relationships "Game" is so much more complicated then anyone really lets on

and there are so many variables and inconsistencies and also pit falls and some times just dumb luck
not to mention the added fact that
both men and women are fucking insane......

Aegus

My story for this year.

Realised I really liked this girl I used to work with and was really fun when we were hanging out. She did seem to like me, telling me I should get a job with her and telling me that my FB friend request was the best one she'd had in ages etc. Mutual ex-coworker told me she liked me and I should go for it.

Then I asked her out and she pretty much told me she'd talk to me later. I brought it up again a week later and she told me she was busy The lack of a "you're a nice guy, but..." and what felt like a non-caring response freaked me the fuck out. And I panicked. I'm not usually the type to care what other people think so this was really a first for me. Saw her a few weeks later at a gig and she shrugged me off which pissed me off and I acted like an asshole to her for a few weeks. Worst thing I've done.*

Cleared my head of assholishness and sent her an apology which she accepted. So kinda been talking on and off over the past year. More on my end than anything. She did ask me to take her rock climbing though.

Which hasn't happened yet and last message I sent about it I never heard anything back.

I know I can't force her to talk to me or get back to me. And I know now I shouldn't let things like that get to me. God knows I ignore people often enough myself. So just going to leave her alone and if she gets in touch then cool. but not going out of my way for her.

That's my simping story.

*Actually still trying to be friends with her might be the worst thing I've done. Just made things worse for myself.

Milchjon

My story for this year.

Realised I really liked this girl I used to work with and was really fun when we were hanging out. She did seem to like me, telling me I should get a job with her and telling me that my FB friend request was the best one she'd had in ages etc. Mutual ex-coworker told me she liked me and I should go for it.

Haha, what?

"The man might not look like much, but damn, his friend requests really hit the spot!"

Sober

Generally speaking, its devaluing yourself for the sake of another... and it can be done in all kinds of ways. Big and small.
I'm pretty sure I only do the first half. I don't think I have any good formed opinions of myself, and maybe that is what's wrong. I'm not quite sure if self-deprecation works any more of if I just moved on to believing what I say.

I think I do have a story. Sorta over, I guess.

Met this girl in one of my classes in my final year of my bachelors. Smart, witty is kind of my type. We hung out once or twice. I was stupid enough to ask her out, but over e-mail, so that was pretty stupid of me. She said no of course, but there are probably a whole mess of reasons why we probably wouldn't work out. Either way, we're still friends, chat as often as we can. She's working on her masters and I'm off doing nothing with my degree right now (part time minimum wage job here). We hung out a few more times after that, but we never called them dates or anything. Then again this was after she said no to a date.

So I pretty much know I have a 'type', if that's the way to put it. Maybe I fucked up the courting part and it could've worked out; I'll never know. I don't actually get to go out enough to talk to enough girls. There was her and handful of girls before her that I ever bothered to conjure up the courage to even ask out, then after that the only girls I interact with are at work, but I try not to date people I work with.

I'd like to think since then I've improved and become a better person overall, though I don't get to take that out for a spin much, so I'll probably have forgotten everything by now.

Not sure why, but I still think of that girl some times of the day even though I'm over her. Probably because we chat intermittently now, so I always want to have something a little more prepared to start off with.

Now I just feel more pathetic having written that. I guess that means I am/was simping.

Fou-Lu

I have a bit of a problem with this, mostly because I was raised to believe that I should choose everyone else before myself, my parents would tell me things like "If you're walking on the sidewalk, make sure you're between whoever is walking beside you and the road so if a car swirves you take the brunt of the force."

I also have a hard time making my intentions clear, or maybe I just am interested in girls who can't take a hint. Hell half the time I ask a girl on a date I'm not sure if she knows I mean it as a date.

Combined those things with a history of clinical depression and I'm amazed that I've dated at all, so I guess I'm proud of myself for that, haha.

Emily Chu

Banned
so let me simplify everything

it's like dating and the ish but no sex or relationship ever comes out of it

WHAT THE FUCK IS THE POINT THEN ?

"GO FUCK YOURSELVES....."

So, like "being a human doormat"? Or going full-beta?

jfNpzrvnLAXcG.png

jvBW3nd1qVZxo.jpg

j0axRqdqzVIfO.png

BlazinAm

I've never sealed the deal with a girl before

all my past sexual long/short term relationships with women were started by them to begin with........

so I don't even know how to approach this topic

it's also about risk and emotional, gain and lost assessment, this dating/relationships "Game" is so much more complicated then anyone really lets on

and there are so many variables and inconsistencies and also pit falls and some times just dumb luck
not to mention the added fact that
both men and women are fucking insane......

Don't get emotional, don't latch yourself to a person. Dating is easier that way, the hard part is drilling this in.

so let me simplify everything

it's like dating and the ish but no sex or relationship ever comes out of it

WHAT THE FUCK IS THE POINT THEN ?

"GO FUCK YOURSELVES....."

The ish?

Dating is fun meeting new people and all that. Date to explore.

Put it like this I am past high school and College but the relationships/ friendship at those times in my life were all fine even if I don't keep in touch with almost all of them.
Look at Dating as a moment to moment ride it's easier that way at least for me, no real end-goal.

I refuse to believe that last one is serious.

Oh man, social media is really toxic to any relationship. Everything looks 100x worse.

I remember a girl I dated was all like you didn't like my status or you didn't tag me in photos. I find it really weird to talk about happenings on Facebook in the real world. Was just awkward.

Steelrain

Don't get emotional, don't latch yourself to a person. Dating is easier that way, the hard part is drilling this in.

There's nothing wrong with being emotional. Humans aren't robots.

The problem is letting your emotions lead you on to a path to self-harm. Knowing when to cut your loses is what needs to be drilled in. The problem is that the line isn't so clearly defined and it can be difficult as fuck for people to get it through their heads. With all the give and take that happens in any relationship (and the lack of a scoreboard) it can be pretty difficult for some people to realize they are being taken advantage of. Whether people are simps, pussy-whipped or cockstruck.

SmokyDave

Hopefully simping works like the bystander effect and now you've raised awareness, people will be likely to recognise themselves simping and correct their behaviour. You're doing good work, DY.

aznpxdd

So, like "being a human doormat"? Or going full-beta?

http://i2.minus.com/jfNpzrvnLAXcG.png[/img

[img]http://i7.minus.com/jvBW3nd1qVZxo.jpg[/img

[img]http://i1.minus.com/j0axRqdqzVIfO.png

Ugh..no wai.

I think I've simped..once. Though nowhere near anything like what DY said in the OP, I guess I was half-ass simping it.

BlazinAm

There's nothing wrong with being emotional. Humans aren't robots.

The problem is letting your emotions lead you on to a path to self-harm. Knowing when to cut your loses is what needs to be drilled in. The problem is that the line isn't so clearly defined and it can be difficult as fuck for people to get it through their heads. With all the give and take that happens in any relationship (and the lack of a scoreboard) it can be pretty difficult for some people to realize they are being taken advantage of. Whether people are simps, pussy-whipped or cockstruck.

Yes this is true.

I think it is very bad to be overly invested in a dating relationship when the future path is not clearly defined and they start making end-goals for the relationship that just started.

Timbuktu

Can't really agree with that, because it's not really 'for the sake of another' when you expect something back. It's not the same as simply being generous or selfless, which aren't in themselves negatives. Sorry if this is the kind of semantics you talked about.

Can't really agree with that, because it's not really 'for the sake of another' when you expect something back. It's not the same as simply being generous or selfless, which aren't in themselves negatives. Sorry if this is the kind of semantics you talked about.

Well yes and no.

Well when people start getting passive aggressive about their simpin' then you get into Nice Guy Sydrome™ and definitely doing things in the hopes that it will get you a relationship/sex. I'd say that simpin' and being a Nice Guy™ can overlap but they're not necessarily the same issue. Some simps are genuinely nice guys who don't see how they're being taken advantage of.

DY_nasty

Ugh..no wai.

I think I've simped..once. Though nowhere near anything like what DY said in the OP, I guess I was half-ass simping it.
My last ordeal was pretty bad.

I guess I never caught how a shift in the dynamics of a relationship can completely throw you through a loop. My gf back in Arizona and I were great together, but once distance got between us... fuck. I didn't even realize how I came off. I kinda excuse myself because I was going through a LOT of shit of my end but I still wound up leaning on her like I never should have - especially when it became obvious that we had two different definitions of 'commitment'. Didn't want to cut losses. And she didn't want to hurt me more than I already was.... so it took me manning up and dumping myself.

DY_nasty

Does this part really count as simping?
It definitely does.

If you're essentially paying someone for their company over and over, then you need to examine that relationship. You may think you're just being nice (and for some people this is true) but you could also just be making it entirely easy for a GOOD person to take advantage of you. Its not something that only assholes do.

But yeah.. paying over and over and over again while getting nothing but the other person's company while expecting more at some point is not right.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I've been turned down by girls, but when they say they still want to be friends I say no thanks. It's too hard to deal with wanting to be with someone and giving that person attention when they don't feel the same about you. I eventually decided to be much more aggressive in expressing my romantic interest in a girl instead of saying how I felt in a 'coming out' sort of way. It worked pretty well.

As far as how we treat each other in the relationship, we are equals. We don't buy expensive gifts, we pay for our own food unless it's a birthday or something, we spend time with each other's groups of friends, and even mix them together sometimes... it's very balanced and works well. So I guess I've never "simped"?

It definitely does.

If you're essentially paying someone for their company over and over, then you need to examine that relationship. You may think you're just being nice (and for some people this is true) but you could also just be making it entirely easy for a GOOD person to take advantage of you. Its not something that only assholes do.

But yeah.. paying over and over and over again while getting nothing but the other person's company while expecting more at some point is not right.

I always think of simping as being the bolded - that you are doing these things while wanting more. It kinda feels like being nice or a little self-sacrificial is being unfairly derided. A movie ticket isn't a huge expense - to say "you're a person I enjoy going to the movies with, don't worry about paying" is simping is pushing it a bit far. Or even "Have you eaten anything yet? I'm going out for a bit so I'll get us both some X" means that you are a spineless fool?

DY_nasty

I always think of simping as being the bolded - that you are doing these things while wanting more. It kinda feels like being nice or a little self-sacrificial is being unfairly derided. A movie ticket isn't a huge expense - to say "you're a person I enjoy going to the movies with, don't worry about paying" is simping is pushing it a bit far. Or even "Have you eaten anything yet? I'm going out for a bit so I'll get us both some X" means that you are a spineless fool?
I never said anything about one-time happenings. Over and over is the key to my statement - mainly because people start to rationalize as time goes on.

Its always nice to ask but lets be honest... there is a difference between being nice on a first or second date and filling voids in a maybe/not relationship with movie tickets and free meals because you're not sure how to progress things.

By all means take that person out and show them that you want to take care of them as well as give them a good time - but there is a lot more to a relationship, to building a relationship, than that. Its a bad rut to get stuck in.

DY_nasty

Are we talking about friends or about dates? You said "movie-buddy" that's why I'm confused.
Its as bad either way. Why wouldn't it be?

Like another guy said, its entirely different if you occasionally spot one another but paying another person's fare repeatedly for their company is a lopsided arrangement at the very least

AlexMogil

It all depends on your intentions, doesn't it?

"I really would enjoy seeing this movie with this person."

Vs.

"She's going to see how great of a man I am when we see this movie. Maybe she will put her head on my shoulder during the film!"

yonder

I've definitely been guilty of this, sad to say, helping my ex with homework (hah, such a cliché) and such. Ugh. Gotta get a hold of myself.

Just recently my ex asked me if we could take the (3hr+) bus together when we go home for Christmas vacation (we come from the same town) since she doesn't like travelling alone. My initial response was "sure, I'll let you know when I'm booking my ticket and we'll make sure we're on the same bus", but now I've realised this is classic simping. Spending hours cramped in a bus next to the girl I used to date is probably not a good idea. I actually prefer travelling alone, so I know I said yes just to please her, to maybe get her to like me again.

I'm taking that bus alone this year. Thanks, DY_nasty, I needed a reminder :p

Aegus

I'm just glad more people are posting their stories. Thought for a minute that I was going to be only one.

Futureman

I guess I never caught how a shift in the dynamics of a relationship can completely throw you through a loop. My gf back in Arizona and I were great together, but once distance got between us... fuck. I didn't even realize how I came off. I kinda excuse myself because I was going through a LOT of shit of my end but I still wound up leaning on her like I never should have - especially when it became obvious that we had two different definitions of 'commitment'. Didn't want to cut losses. And she didn't want to hurt me more than I already was.... so it took me manning up and dumping myself.

maybe you weren't posting this as a "simping" example... but this sounds like relationship issues.. not simping?? From what you posted in the OP, simping is more in the courting phase.

I guess I don't really see why this needs some specifc term or discussion. Is it really that unique to call it out and not deal with it in the dating thread? Just seems like an aspect of dating. And it's really obvious that you shouldn't do it (don't get walked over by the opposite gender), but hey, we are all humans and relationships are though.

jaxword

This is actually a thread.

Wow.

Some people need to be told.

In fact, I'm sort of hoping that guys come in here to learn how much of a doormat they're being, because sometimes you need the cold hard truth.

Best bet: If you think you may be, you are, because a woman will PROBABLY make some degree of interest known at some point. I say probably because, well, there's always outliers.

Alucrid

Banned
First one could just be a good friend (you're not a good friend if you don't want your friends to be happy), the second one is kinda borderline, but the third one is totally in simpling territory.
Your simping if your sad because they're with someone else, then turn on the nice guy face when they're still with the other guy and you're "friends." I just want you to be happy, lol

Your simping if your sad because they're with someone else, then turn on the nice guy face when they're still with the other guy and you're "friends." I just want you to be happy, lol

Or it could just be some dude the friend was weary about, that's another thing that good friends do.
But yeah, it could just be simping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom