• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 3 |OT| The fun has been TRIPLED!

ffdgh

Atlease trixie didn't yell at fluttershy and made her cry.
KuGsj.gif

Cheerilee

Luna was in Canterlot, and the train was under the fishbowl. So Twilight went to Zecora.

Very minor hurdle. Twi gets kicked out of Ponyville? She goes "home" to Canterlot with her tail tucked between her legs. Her mode of transport doesn't really matter, and the show can timeskip forward a few days. When Twi finally gets to Canterlot, she finds that Celestia isn't there to somehow make it all better for her, but Luna is available.

I still think Luna's powers hibernate during the day, what with being moon alicorn and all that shit.

Luna wouldn't need power to fix the situation, just her unique viewpoint and advice. And to unlock the Elements for Twilight to use.

Twilight's trick would have still been an option if Trixie was tempted to wear the Big Crown Thingy. The Element wouldn't work for Trixie without friends.

Also, I would've liked it if the show had set up Twi and Trixie as becoming friends, but Trixie and Rarity/Dash/AJ/Spike kind of hating each other. That happens often, where some of your friends just can't play nice with some of your other friends. And that's another kind of friendship they could explore, and the strength to be friends with someone when the rest of your friends say you shouldn't.

And I just realized that Fluttershy and Pinkie were the best ponies in this episode, but they were absent from Trixie's previous episode. This is a good thing.

Only problem with the episode was Trixie's redemption at the end, but its made up for after when she trips over that wheel that is just barely out of sight(head canon). And I'm glad they didn't use EoH, last thing they need to do is abuse it, the trickery they employed was much more entertaining(IE the point of the show) and had the great moment where I feared a rule 63 spell would become canon and relief I felt when it was revealed that wasn't the case.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Very minor hurdle. Twi gets kicked out of Ponyville? She goes "home" to Canterlot with her tail tucked between her legs. Her mode of transport doesn't really matter, and the show can timeskip forward a few days. When Twi finally gets to Canterlot, she finds that Celestia isn't there to somehow make it all better for her, but Luna is available.

Luna wouldn't need power to fix the situation, just her unique viewpoint and advice. And to unlock the Elements for Twilight to use.

Twilight's trick would have still been an option if Trixie was tempted to wear the Big Crown Thingy. The Element wouldn't work for Trixie without friends.

Also, I would've liked it if the show had set up Twi and Trixie as becoming friends, but Trixie and Rarity/Dash/AJ/Spike kind of hating each other. That happens often, where some of your friends just can't play nice with some of your other friends. And that's another kind of friendship they could explore, and the strength to be friends with someone when the rest of your friends say you shouldn't.

And I just realized that Fluttershy and Pinkie were the best ponies in this episode, but they were absent from Trixie's previous episode. This is a good thing.

it was a Larson episode, so he took a note from Star Trek. He didn't want to write Luna into a situation where she'd be tempted by evil, and go on a mindless rampage to destroy the evil neck thingy, smashing stuff in Twilight's library screaming "THE LINE MUST BE DRAWN HERE!"

(Something completely random).

Scootaloo, what's the matter with you?
You don't act like the other ponies do.
You wear a disguise to look like pony guys.
But your not a mare, you're a Scootaloo.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Luna cameo in Scoot's nightmare.
Also, lots of human sitting in this episode.

Koomaster

Didn't remember or realize that Luna could enter other ponies dreams. Wonder if she can control them other than to just enter and talk to the dream haver. I guess she sort of got rid of the headless pony for Scootaloo?

When she was evil, I wonder if she was just indiscriminately entering ponies' dreams like Freddy Kruger just to scare them.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Luna felt a little out of place (but not in any way that bought down the episode. She was great). I think it would have been better if AJ found Scootaloo and gave her a pep=talk about facing her fears. AJ is the best big sister afterall.

I've noticed that there hasn't been any letters at the end of the latest episodes. Personally I think it's for the better, but it's still interesting to see them move away from it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
hCX60.png

Dear Princess Celestia and Luna,

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

YES! YES! YES! ,
Scootaloo

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
That was a pretty meh episode but at least Luna made an appearance.

Luna felt a little out of place (but not in any way that bought down the episode. She was great). I think it would have been better if AJ found Scootaloo and gave her a pep=talk about facing her fears. AJ is the best big sister afterall.

AJ feels more like a big sister to ponies who have sisters.

Ikael

The amount of d'awww in this episode was off the charts. Luna's appearances were great, the whole Rarity VS Sweete Belle is one of the most hylarious dynamics in the show and the Rainbow Dash character development was quite heart warming. Now there have been two truthly outstanding episodes in a row, which is a great thing considering how weak this season started.

Boss Doggie

The amount of d'awww in this episode was off the charts. Luna's appearances were great, the whole Rarity VS Sweete Belle is one of the most hylarious dynamics in the show and the Rainbow Dash character development was quite heart warming. Now there have been two truthly outstanding episodes in a row, which is a great thing considering how weak this season started.

I find it hilarious though that as okay the episode is, it's not Scootaloo that made it watchable.

Boss Doggie

Scootaloo was great this episode. You just hate the cmc.

I hate CMC but I like Applebloom and Sweetiebelle. Notice how their characters are much better as non-CMC? Can't say for Scoots, felt like it wasn't her that carried the ep (it was Dash).

Honestly, I thought Luna's appearances were the worst parts about the episode. So you're a goddess of the night in charge of an entire country, and here you are interacting directly with the dreams on a young pegasus you've never really been on a first-name (well, only name) basis with? Why would you care that much? I mean, it's nice to see her get some more screen time and all, but it just felt so forced.

And yeah, I really want to know more about Scootaloo's home/family. This episode could've clarified that, and didn't. Boo.

On the other hand, I rather liked Scootaloo's antics.

akira28

She's the Goddess of the Night. She doesn't need to be on a first name basis. And tonight she sends Dracula for *you*.

McNum

Maybe Luna can sense nightmares and will intervene of they're bad enough? Her knowing Scootaloo's name is interesting, since they've never spoken as far as i know. This, by the way, makes Nightmare Moon a lot more scary in retrospect. If Luna can turn bad dreams good, then... did Nightmare Moon turn good dreams bad?

It was a very adorable episode, though. so many cute moments. And Scootaloo finally got her focus episode. Three seasons in, it's about time.

I expect there to be many gifs from this episode, too. Sadface Sweetie Belle and several of Scotaloo's expressions looked very giffable.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Friggin' top tier episode!

Insanely cute Scootaloo! Wise Luna! Not totally jerkass Rainbow Dash! Character development! Loved it to bits.

Narag

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic S3 3

The dream is dead. The G1 gag was the lone highpoint. Also, Fluttershy's VA sounded off.

Ikael

I find it hilarious though that as okay the episode is, it's not Scootaloo that made it watchable.

Aw Doggie, you are always such a debbie downer. Scoot was utterly adorable this episode and even -gasp- relatable, which is a lot considering her role as a mini-Rainbow Dash clone. The whole Luna speech about what do we really fear did stroke my feels, and the character development of everyone involved made me feel warm inside.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic S3 3

The dream is dead. The G1 gag was the lone highpoint. Also, Fluttershy's VA sounded off.

This season starts really weak, but the last two episodes (3-5 and 3-6) have been some of the best of the whole series, reaching some Lesson Zero levels of awesomeness.

Orcastar

I didn't expect much from this episode, but it turned out great. Second best episode of the season behind Magic Duel.

Would have been nice to find out at least something about Scootaloo's parents though...

Jarmel

Banned
I didn't really like this episode, mostly because I don't think it effectively tackled the subject of bullying (sacrifice yourself to save your bully and win their heart, and "tell an adult" aren't really solutions, although telling an adult can't hurt, and it's the most risk-free advice).

Just the other day I came off of watching SFDebris' review of Avatar the Last Airbender, in which he explained that he doesn't agree with fans who say that Azula's not a monster, that she's really a good person, and it's the world's fault, because the world made her a monster. He explained how (in his opinionated opinion) it's your choices that define you who are, and what you do now that matters, not your upbringing. Zuko chose to become a better person. Azula didn't.

Babs chose to become worse. And she didn't seem to show any signs of guilt or remorse while she actively and aggressively made the CMC miserable (just some occasional blank-flank shame). I don't think Babs was doing it out of fear of DT and SS, I think as a former victim, she liked the role reversal. She bullied Applebloom out of her own bed. DT and SS weren't in her bedroom.

When the CMC learned why Babs was a jerk, I don't think it should have stopped their plan to get even. Standing up to bullies and fighting back is just one more slice of the anti-bullying formula, even if you have to plan and strategize in order to compensate for weakness (interestingly, The A-Team frequently armed people to deal with bullying situations). And yeah, attacking your bully is a great way to provoke your own butt kicking, but that kind of retaliatory strike is usually just a required response, and afterwards you might find yourself less-targeted, since you're not worth the trouble.

The CMC seemingly stopped their attack (and took the hit for themselves) because of pity, but pitying your bully, and especially letting your bully know that you pity them, is often a really bad idea, because that sort of emotional attack cuts deep and may make a bully want to shut you up by making sure you never pity them again.

But... kids show in the modern world. They're not going to advocate violence.

Also, Apple Jack, the responsible adult, is probably to blame for this episode, because she deliberately didn't tell the CMC that Babs was coming to town to deal with insecurity issues regarding her blank flank, she just allowed the CMC to get all "CMC" up in Babs' face unsupervised, as everyone knew they would. I think I approve of setting up powder kegs, but you're at least supposed to watch them in case they explode, silly pony.

Just saw episode 4 and I hated the episode for this exact reason. Horrible message.

Okay just saw the episode and it was GREAT! Cuteness and daww ABOUNDS! I don't even like Scootaloo (Yeah I said it, come at me...) and she was great in this episode. I'd say the only thing that stuck out at me was Rarity being a little too obnoxious.

Human poses, human poses everywhere!

Yeah, if there's anything that's degrading is the animators being rather lazy and uncreative going with more and more bizarre human poses instead of thinking, "Okay they're quadrupeds, how would they do this?" This was a concern in Dragon Quest too. Minor gripe.

And of course the best part of this episode
<-----------

It's interesting, I read a fanfic earlier this year (Okami crossover actually) that featured Luna being able to enter and protect ponies from dreams, so I found it interesting that it's actually been made canon. It didn't feel forced to me at all.

But overall, OUTSTANDING episode.

Top Bottom