• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Customers Called 'Fat' on Restaurant Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

krioto

You know what's sad? The fact that you would group LGBT and people of color with fat people.

One is a physical deficiency. Being fat is never normal. It's not where our bodies want to be. It's unhealthy and brings about a myriad of problems. There's really no way to positively look at obesity.

On the other hand, you have people's skin color and sexual orientation. None of these attributes are brought about by a person's individual choice and there's nothing wrong with any of them.

It's rather insulting that you'd view these things as similar in any way.

I agree - being a fat-arse is very low on the scale. If you're fat, you can more than likely change, or just accept it - whatever. Not the same as being LBGT or a different colour skin.

Ramblin

Banned
You're just Ramblin.

Indeed I am. I've tried to avoid this thread because it's a lost cause. Young dudes don't have weight problems, even if they were fat once, even if it was the hardest thing they've ever done and continue to do, they did it and that means you can too. But only if you're smart and have discipline. If you don't that means you're not really a human being, you're just a fat zombie chasing them.

Shouta

I don't agree with this actually. If I didn't use it in an insulting manner and they were insulted, then that isn't my fault.

You are accountable for your own words. Now, if you never apologize to anyone for unintentionally hurting them, at the very least you're being consistent. You may be seen as jerk but at least you're a jerk to everyone. If you've ever apologized for hurting with misspoken words but yet refuse so in certain circumstances, there simply is no excuse. You have to own up to it. Otherwise, you look like a worse person for it.

the problem with weight, is that there is no nice way of putting it, because a lot of the offence that people feel from having it pointed out is that they've been reminded of it at all. like i said, this isn't something like calling someone a nigger, where the insult stems not from the fact that it signifies a black person, but that it is was used to describe a slave class.

I will agree with you in that the root of why racially charged words are considered distasteful is that they denote something beyond that basic signification. However, going even more basic than that, those are words that used to separate one group from another. They're used to say that you don't belong and aren't the same as us thus you don't deserve the same treatment.

The word fat is an adjective and it can be used in a simple, descriptive manner. However, with certain attitudes, intents and situations, it can be used to diminish someone. In the case of the response to the news story, folks are saying "It's the truth." What point does saying that serve? They were insulted and the response to it is, "It's a fact." That doesn't do anything to plainly state the situation, it's a comment that diminishes them further because it says that their anger isn't justified. There are certainly situations where the comment is appropriate but in this case, it only serves to make them feel like they weren't being treated like they deserve to be, as human beings.

And that's why many people make the parallel to racially-charged terms. It's not about whether you are born with it or it's a choice or whatever other circumstances are involved. It's about being treated just like everyone else. There is no reason to treat anyone differently except in specific circumstances, like being a jerk to you or a criminal.

no one should be treated like a sub human, but I don't have to treat everyone equally either. i can think less of a person for exhibiting certain behaviours. now, it might not be easy for them to change even if they want to, and i get that. but i will continue to think higher of the people who recognised the issues that those certain behaviours were causing and who made every effort to change them.

Treating people that better is a certainly a fine position. What I, and many others, have a problem with is treating people as less equal. It makes you look like a worse person because you lack any sort of compassion for people, which, as Opiate says, is probably the only true failing.

In fact, the attitude I'm prescribing is how you encourage people to get better and be better. You lose ground with someone if you treat them as less and praise the ones that change because it generates a negative view of their existence. But if you treat someone as equal and praise them for being even better, then they'll feel good about themselves and will enact changes far more easily. As many people say, positive reinforcement is far better than negative reinforcement and treating everyone equally is a part of it.

In fact, the attitude I'm prescribing is how you encourage people to get better and be better. You lose ground with someone if you treat them as less and praise the ones that change because it generates a negative view of their existence. But if you treat someone as equal and praise them for being even better, then they'll feel good about themselves and will enact changes far more easily. As many people say, positive reinforcement is far better than negative reinforcement and treating everyone equally is a part of it.

This is a great point.

CLEEK

So rather than ban people, mods here will just compliment them on the goods posts they've made?

-PXG-

ITT

Although unhealthy and possibly irresponsible and a sign of self neglect, people who think it's okay to be a passive aggressive little shit and put others down, in spite of the fact that those they are condemning, made decisions that have no effect on you.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
God damn, first Evilore endorses misogynistic slurs and rape jokes, now fat phobia. I'm done with this forum.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Since being overweight is one of the most visibly obvious physical attributes of a person, and with humans being visually-based creatures, it gets a disproportionate amount of scorn.

It's too bad that oftentimes we all need to remember to treat our fellow citizens with more respect than we might initially give.

It seems like the same basic arguments are being repeated over and over again. Yes, you should try to strive to not be overweight, but no, that doesn't mean others have carte blanche to dehumanize you, etc.

God damn, first Evilore endorses misogynistic slurs and rape jokes, now fat phobia. I'm done with this forum.

Uh no. You may want to try again at interpreting the situation.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Typical GAF would be like, we should learn to appreciate women of thickness than stick model thin models...quite honestly surprised there isn't more of a defense force here :p

Have you ever seen a model struggle to breath while just standing around doing nothing? I haven't.

Opiate

With reactions like these, I wonder how some gaffers survive day to day life.

By ignoring mean people. If I think a person or group of people are cruel or mean spirited, I simply dismiss them and do not talk to them. They are beneath me and I do not need them, as I have plenty of friends as is. This is essentially what that poster is suggesting he'll do to NeoGAF. If he thinks it's a mean spirited place, his reaction is exactly the correct one; ignore NeoGAF.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying that I personally believe NeoGAF is a mean place; I'm saying that leaving GAF is the reasonable, adult approach if you think the place is mean spirited and cruel.

Like the overreactions about morbidly obese women being called fat (not even directly, either)? If so I agree.

I would urge caution here: if you reach the conclusion that the problem isn't that you're mean, it's that everyone else around you is just too sensitive, you are quite likely to being mean and/or unfair. It isn't a guarantee, but it's certainly a red flag that makes me pause and consider whether I'm being reasonable and compassionate.

It's much like going down a street where you can't see the speed limit, but you're going much faster than everyone else -- it's possible that everyone else is going too slowly, and you're doing it just right, but it's more likely that you're the one that's going the wrong speed, not everyone else.

nib95

Banned
No, don't fuck fat people. You probably won't feel very good about about yourself afterwards.

Real response: whether you're fat or not doesn't matter to me. Especially over the internet, it's irrelevant.

Your positions do matter to me. That post is in response to Lambtron resenting the people who compliment him on making fitness progress, because that would mean that being a fit person is better than being a fat person. And then crying about "thin privilege." We should not emotionally or physically abuse fat people, but we should always treat the fat acceptance movement with derision, and speak plainly about what being fat means to your life, your future, the people around you, and society at large. It's all negative. Fit EviLore is a hundred times the person Fat EviLore is in every way but volume.

Based on your posts, I wouldn't say fit EvilLore is a hundred times the person fat EvilLore was, in fact, quite the opposite. Seems to me that whilst fit EvilLore looks better, his personally is less admirable, ie he's less tolerant, more judgemental, more insensitive and more shallow to boot, at least when it comes to the issue of weight.

I'm not an advocate of not discussing fat reducing solutions with those closest to you, at least in a polite way, but to complete strangers? No. They don't need to hear my shit and I don't need to be outwardly judgemental. For all I know they might be happier being fat (especially if food is one of their main loves), save for having to deal with insensitive and judgemental idiots, mocking, asserting or bullying them by pretending to highlight their fatness (under the false guise of helping or combating the issue), as if they weren't already aware of it.

I've met thousands of fat people in my life, and I wouldn't say they've been any less of a person than those that I've met that haven't been fat, in fact, where it most counts, in personality, often times I'd say largely the opposite. Anecdotal mind you.

rCIZZLE

No, the type of posts where people reveal their ugly opinions about various groups that they wouldn't dare utter elsewhere.

I'm glad these people exist or else I may have not had the motivation to drop from obese to a healthy weight. Isolated from the opinions of others, I would have been perfectly happy with my horrible diet and lack of physical activity.

Opiate

I'm glad these people exist or else I may have not had the motivation to drop from obese to a healthy weight. Isolated from the opinions of others, I would have been perfectly happy with my horrible diet and lack of physical activity.

I just want to make sure you're aware that you are essentially endorsing mean spirited peer pressure and ridicule because it could possibly motivate someone to improve themselves. If I went around telling most of the people I meet that they are stupid and ignorant, and this happens to motivate someone in some small part to go back to school and get more educated, does that suggest that what I did was good?

Of course not, unless you are absolutely Machiavellian.

As a completely separate and equally valid argument, it has generally been shown that positive reinforcement is more effective at motivating people than negative reinforcement. Instead of using the whip, we could use the carrot. So if simply motivating people is our only goal, being mean is not only mean (by definition), it's likely to be less effective.

Mumei

I agree - being a fat-arse is very low on the scale. If you're fat, you can more than likely change, or just accept it - whatever. Not the same as being LBGT or a different colour skin.

In my experience as a gay man, "just accepting it" was precisely the ticket to being able to escape my depression and begin to establish some semblance of self-esteem. I can't speak of any personal experiences with weight, but I know some overweight people - some on this forum - for whom learning to accept their weight that they are at after trying and failing to lose and keep it off - has been similarly important to them.

Log4Girlz

So isolated from others you would have been happy with your horrible diet and physical activity? Then who would have cared? Be happy.

rCIZZLE

I just want to make sure you're aware that you are essentially endorsing mean spirited peer pressure and ridicule because it could possibly motivate someone to improve themselves. If I went around telling most of the people I meet that they are stupid and ignorant, and this happens to motivate someone in some small part to go back to school and get more educated, does that suggest that what I did was good?

Of course not, unless you are absolutely Machiavellian.

As a completely separate and equally valid argument, it has generally been shown that positive reinforcement is more effective at motivating people than negative reinforcement. Instead of using the whip, we could use the carrot. So if simply motivating people is our only goal, being mean is not only mean (by definition), it's likely to be less effective.

Well, those people very likely added many years to my life so I'm not going to be against them.

By the way, what is positive reinforcement considering there seems to be no gentle way to tell someone they're overweight.

Log4Girlz

Well, those people very likely added many years to my life so I'm not going to be against them.

By the way, what is positive reinforcement considering there seems to be no gentle way to tell someone they're overweight.

You should become a good samaritan and tell little kids they are fat. If you start shaming them young, they won't have to go through the pain and embarrassment of going through puberty as obese and avoid bullying. Of course, this is not going far enough. You need to inform their parents how terrible they are and if they are also overweight, which the odds are they are, do not refrain from letting them know how fat they are.

You'll receive accolades for your community service. Post pictures of your medals for us to see.

Opiate

Yes, so you are indeed endorsing absolute Machiavellian-ism. That isn't a judgement; I just want to clearly define your position. Cruelty and meanness are okayif they happen to help you lose weight, get educated, etc.. I do not agree but that isn't an illogical position.

Reminding people of the benefits of fitness rather than the downsides of obesity. Making people feel good about themselves and any positive progress they make, rather than making them feel bad and ridiculing them when they pig out, etc.

Yes, fat is the only conceivable word. We need to limit our vocabulary to words 4 letters in length or less.

well "latino"? maybe "italian?" would've been racists, "girls/ladies" would've been sexist. We could say portly or chubby, and sure, but that's the same thing. If someone gave me a ticket that said "fags at table 1", I'd laugh and draw a picture of a dick on the back of the reciept. People need thicker skin.

Log4Girlz

well "black" would've been racists, "girls/ladies" would've been sexist. We could say portly or chubby, and sure, but that's the same thing.

Right, calling someone ladies is totally and completely sexist and we would have torn anyone calling them that a new asshole. Fat is clearly a kind, respectable thing to call someone. Like if I met your mother and just said "Hello fat woman", I would be seen as a gentleman.

Opiate

well "latino"? maybe "italian?" would've been racists, "girls/ladies" would've been sexist. We could say portly or chubby, and sure, but that's the same thing.

"Table # 42" would have worked just fine. "Three women" if you absolutely insist on a descriptive title. You could also simply not label the chit at all. Those are just off the top of my head, of course: I'm sure I could come up with more innocuous examples if needed.

"Table # 42" would have worked just fine. "Three women" if you absolutely insist on a descriptive title. You could also simply not label the chit at all. Those are just off the top of my head, of course: I'm sure I could come up with more innocuous examples if needed.

well, at least he didn't call them lady chinky eyes. That article made me laugh pretty hard. Sure, that's probably the appriate thing to do, but really, it's 3 letters, does it really offend people that much to be called names?

rCIZZLE

You should become a good samaritan and tell little kids they are fat. If you start shaming them young, they won't have to go through the pain and embarrassment of going through puberty as obese and avoid bullying. Of course, this is not going far enough. You need to inform their parents how terrible they are and if they are also overweight, which the odds are they are, do not refrain from letting them know how fat they are.

You'll receive accolades for your community service. Post pictures of your medals for us to see.

Parents with obese kids should be called out on it. I may be a shitty person but nobody in my life is going to raise kids on soda, happy meals, and candy bars without me making it known I disapprove.

Log4Girlz

Parents with obese kids should be called out on it. I may be a shitty person but nobody in my life is going to raise kids on soda, happy meals, and candy bars without me making it known I disapprove.

Post the medals you receive for your community service. If you make sure you tell every parent of an obese child just what you think of them and their little darlings, you will soon be raking in the cash with all the offers for motivational speaking tours, television interviews, self-help books and seminars. I see a bright future ahead. Just be sure to be aggressive about it.

Seems like only 20 posts ago that someone mentioned how ineffective negative reinforcement is as a tool to achieve positive results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom